• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crashmo/Fallblox |OT| Heart-Shaped Blox

muahahahahaa good luck with that lol

995SVN_Kevin_Spacey_011.jpg

"Oh... he didn't know."

zroid

Banned
I'm pretty sure I recall Gramps saying you can fall off. I think you might have just skipped a bit too fast over that part ;-p
doh! Yeah, that's entirely possible :p

From what you've played, does the game rely on those types jumps more than Pushmo? I'm 9 puzzles from completing all the built in puzzles in Pushmo and those jumps feel really janky. If they're gone, I'm all for it.

Well I mean, if it isn't possible, the game can't rely on them. lol

I don't know about jank, maybe they were trickier to pull off than they ought to have been, but the fact you could rewind makes it a non-issue. They were incorporated in a lot of clever ways in Pushmo.

KarmaCow

doh! Yeah, that's entirely possible :p

Well I mean, if it isn't possible, the game can't rely on them. lol

I don't know about jank, maybe they were trickier to pull off than they ought to have been, but the fact you could rewind makes it a non-issue. They were incorporated in a lot of clever ways in Pushmo.

Well I meant jumps like it, not specifically that jump. I prefer my puzzle game to have strict definite moves and Pushmo has a lot of jumps that look awkward. Though yes, the rewind is a genius mechanic that prevent it from being completely annoying.

And after the talk about beating the game, I looked it up and I should have guessed there is a bonus set of puzzles. Oh well, I was planning on burning through the last few levels to get to Crashmo but I can take my time now.

zroid

Banned
Well I meant jumps like it, not specifically that jump. I prefer my puzzle game to have strict definite moves and Pushmo has a lot of jumps that look awkward. Though yes, the rewind is a genius mechanic that prevent it from being completely annoying.

I'm still pretty early on in Crashmo so it's difficult to say, but I would argue that Pushmo's moves are absolutely "definite". Under no circumstances should there be any confusion as to whether a specific jump is possible, and the learning curve is designed to teach you this.

OMG Aero

In the tutorial menu there is a section on jumps which specifically tells you what jumps you cannot do so you know that no puzzles require jumps like that.

Shaffield

I had time to finish the first set of challenges before being stuck with family holiday stuff all afternoon, and I am completely hooked. These puzzles feel even more satisfying to solve than in Pushmo, because, as Zeeroid pointed out earlier, its more about the "big picture". You have to plan out the solution deliberately and let everything fall into place.
It has a similar quality to the more difficult Challenge levels in Pushmo, where there is a very specific solution you have to work out. The main difference I've noted is that while in Pushmo it was easy to notice specific steps that lead to failure as you climb up, Crashmo's crucial steps are a little less apparent and its much easier to screw yourself.

This game got so difficult so fast, its perfect for someone coming right from Pushmo.
I haven't played Paper Mario or VLR yet, but Crashmo is def a contender for my GOTY, with the only real challengers so far being Theatrhythm and RH Fever.

ryushe

Some of the later puzzles destroyed my brain in Pushmo. I can't even comprehend how I would even solve some of these puzzle if the trailer is any indiction.

still getting it though.

BowieZ

Banned
The parachute puzzle was really interesting. Took me almost 20 minutes to finish.

Yup. Same. Basically "how do I push the right-hand white string block further to the right, without letting it drop too far, while also being able to step onto it?" Very cunning.

Shaffield

damn, 3-4 (#44) is the first puzzle making me feel like a total dumbass

i need a breather

edit:
conquered! and now another brick wall at 3-5 :/

edit pt.2:
ahahaha, nevermind
made that crashmo my bitch, fools B-)

Roto13

I like the way this game does things so differently from Pushmo while still feeling like a sequel. It uses the controls of the first game and builds new rules around them to make a different game with new experiences but still retaining some of that Pushmoness.

EDIT: And yeah, 2-10. Several points where I thought "Alright, this is it" but this was not it and I had to tweak my strategy a little more.

I love skipping from one page to another and watching Mallo run to the right spot. Adorable.

Managed to beat it today! 100/100 puzzles completed!! Yay!!

Thanks to Bebester for the help on Puzzle 70. If I didn't get the answer to that I probably would have been stumped on it forever. Spent two weeks trying to figure it out and couldn't do it. Hint didn't help either. A real toughie. I also read a hint around #48 or so? But managed to figure it out after the hint.

Non-story related spoiler below about stuff unlocked after beating the game:

40 extra challenge puzzles that look crazy hard!! I was shocked! More fucking Crashmo. I am happy and terrified at the same time. This shit's about to get mad hard. First stage starts at 3 star difficulty.

You also unlock an option to listen to the soundtrack in the "extras" section."

zroid

Banned
I didn't have all that much trouble with 3-10 actually. But 3-9 is going to haunt my dreams.

EDIT: lol, 4-5 is pretty easy but it's still so darn clever. Can't help but love it. It's the kind where when you get the solution, the only possible reaction is "OMG THAT'S AWESOME"

Madao

i got the game and had time to just do the first 20 and some training puzzles.

these puzzles are getting pretty crazy early on. i can't imagine what the game will be throwing at me once i get farther.

i need to beat the first Pushmo too since i haven't got very far since restarting it after i got my digital stuff on my new 3DS.

Shaffield

EDIT: lol, 4-5 is pretty easy but it's still so darn clever. Can't help but love it. It's the kind where when you get the solution, the only possible reaction is "OMG THAT'S AWESOME"

Lol, agreed. Some of these have me giggling like an idiot afterward.

Ugh I was breezing through world 4, but 4-9 is tripping me up now

zroid

Banned
Cannot do 5-8 (68).

First time I've ever had to resort to skipping a Blox.

Almost there... I'm on 5-6 5-7 right now

edit: yup... 5-7 took me about 45 minutes. god damn. I was really climbing up the wrong tree for much of that time. :\

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I put this on hold because I had two levels to finish in Pullblox. I said yeeh, I'm sure it will take seconds, now that I've been playing the harder one

*20 minutes later

I+use+angry+video+game+nerd+for+quot+fffffuuuuuuu+quot+_36e03d64834525fd3098883b72630cbe.gif

Tremis

This man does his research.
This game is such a pure and unique puzzler. Thank you based Intelligent Systems! Man, totally new twist on the original though.

That ancient temple one looks easy.. move all the columns out completely so the roof comes down then use one of the square blocks to get up? No doubt i'm missing something and will live to regret it!

Roto13

That ancient temple one looks easy.. move all the columns out completely so the roof comes down then use one of the square blocks to get up? No doubt i'm missing something and will live to regret it!

The columns are attached to the floor and the ceiling. (They're cut in half.)

When you go to buy something when you don't have enough money in your wallet, it'll ask you how much you want to add and one of the options will be "needed funds" or "needed amount" or whatever.

Damn. I didn't even bother trying based on my previous experience with Nintendo digital shopping. Thanks.

Top Bottom