• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross Gen games coming to PS4 while leaving out Xbox One seems wierd

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
jim-ryan-laughing.gif

LordOfChaos

I got a Series S, and the weakest spot is that for last gen titles it can't run any of the upgrade versions so it runs base XBO versions, and those look significantly rougher than the PS4 IMO. That generation the differences were much more noticeable, with it often being 720p vs 900p or 1080.

There's also that it has a lower marketshare

onQ123

I got a Series S, and the weakest spot is that for last gen titles it can't run any of the upgrade versions so it runs base XBO versions, and those look significantly rougher than the PS4 IMO. That generation the differences were much more noticeable, with it often being 720p vs 900p or 1080.

But Xbox One market share is bigger than Series S/X and software sells are probably closer to to Series versions than PS4 is to PS5.

onQ123

People who bought a newer console are more likely buying more software than people who never upgraded from the og XBO I'd take it

Devs will follow the money
Yes I know but I remember when PS5 was selling most of the PlayStation software while Xbox One was still carrying most of the load for Xbox.

Stuart360

But Xbox One market share is bigger than Series S/X and software sells are probably closer to to Series versions than PS4 is to PS5.
It might be because Xbox one and the OneX are discontinued, while i believe PS4 and the Pro are still produced and for sale at retail right?.

Plus are you sure they are not coming because i have seen a few trailers this gen where at the end of the trailer it will say like 'PC, PS5 and PS4, Xbox Series, with no mention of XB1 but XB1 has still actually had a port.

We'll probably see a similar thing going into the next generation where games won't release on Xbox Series because it would have to release on Series S in order to qualify.

The Series S is going to be a problem for Microsoft for a long time. Reminds me of when a team pays a QB too much money and even after they cut them, the dead money lingers on the salary cap for some time.

Microsoft will be paying for the Series S until the end of the decade.

The PS4 Pro is just a PS4. You can enhance the game for the Pro features but I doubt anyone is doing that these days unless it's a built in dev tools enhancement.

That's not really true.

Look at God of War and Horizon.

They're both optimized for PS4 Pro as well. I doubt any PS4 game that comes out now isn't still being optimized for PS4 Pro. It's just more horsepower.

Crayon

PS4 always got more games. Vastly more. Most of those were smaller. Now the parameters changed and even some bigger games aren't worth porting.

CamHostage

I don't see why software sales would be not closer to the Series versions than PS4 is to PS5? (I've not actually seen that kind of breakdown, but I've not heard that statistic ever mentioned anywhere.) Either way though, PS4 software sales are down enough that developers are leaving it behind too sometimes.

These old consoles, they have a high number of legacy consoles out there, but the consumers aren't feeding their beasts anymore.

For instance, despite the lower pricetag and the secret extra value of a free upgrade to the more expensive version, Horizon FW PS4/5 sales were something like 30/70 in favor of PS5, and the next Horizon DLC will only be on PS5. (Whether or not Burning Shores DLC could actually be rendered on PS4, the sales made it clear that it's not worth trying.) You actually see some new games announced as Xbox Series, PS5, PC... and then Switch. It's not necessarily about the next-gen'ish power of these new games on the new-gen consoles than it is just economics of developing and supporting releases on platforms which are close to retirement.

And particularly for the game brands we're talking about on these threads, they're coming from Japanese developers, which is a software market that has no use for Xbox One; the One is soft in other markets as well (China and East Asia, Latin America, Africa, Europe to some degree.) Xbox Series and Xbox Game Pass is strategically helping expand the brand in light territories, but that's even more reason to not push software for the old box when they want the new console to be seen as "the Xbox".

So even if making the Xbox One version isn't all that more challenging or expensive when the PS4 line has to be made anyway, the territories and audience which would be interested are limited enough that the Series concentration is a better play even though it's potentially leaving some sales behind.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

That's not really true.

They're both optimized for PS4 Pro as well. I doubt any PS4 game that comes out now isn't still being optimized for PS4 Pro. It's just more horsepower.
Both of these are made by Sony studios. Better question would be if 3rd parties still support PS4 Pro.

Asking new fancy Bing Chat it appears that some of the newer AAA games do, but a lot of AA, indie or similar games do not.

Reactions: Isa
Hardware is weak, not worth the time to degrade if the sales aren’t there. Games are probably already having trouble even hitting 900p 30fps on PS4. Companies probably find optimizing on XBO wasting money.

gothmog

Gold Member
That's not really true.

My point is you can ignore the pro if you want and it will be covered. I had no idea that gow and horizon had pro enhancements so that's cool.

FeralEcho

But PlayStation has 3 PS4 , PS4 Pro & PS5 .

Also I thought Xbox was set up for easy development across the platforms .
PS4 Pro is an enhanced PS4 not a different version.By that logic Xbox still has 1 more version with Xbox One X alongside Xbox One as well.but that's not the issue...the issue is these are mostly japanese games and the potential Xbox one sales are not worth it.

onQ123

PS4 Pro is an enhanced PS4 not a different version.By that logic Xbox still has 1 more version with Xbox One X alongside Xbox One as well.but that's not the issue...the issue is these are mostly japanese games and the potential Xbox one sales are not worth it.
No Xbox One version also equals no Xbox One X version what are you talking about?

Three

No Xbox One version also equals no Xbox One X version what are you talking about?
You can't develop for One X and not One. So saying "but PS has 3 specs" you would be comparing to xbox's 4 specs. That's what they're talking about.

Last edited:

onQ123

You can't develop for One X and not One. So saying "but PS has 3 specs" you would be comparing to xbox's 4 specs. That's what they're talking about.
Look back at what you was replying to.

Someone said 2 to a platform Xbox Series X + Series S for Xbox
And PS5 + PS4 for Playstation then I pointed out that it's actually 3 for Playstation because of PS4 Pro

Top Bottom