• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross Gen games coming to PS4 while leaving out Xbox One seems wierd

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
For me Cyberpunk 2077 proves that if the game is too ambitious the xbox one get harder to develop for compared to the PS4. This, the lover number of consoles and the fact that some devellopers do not sell well on xbox can explain this.
But it is true that few studios would have the ambition to do like CDProjeck did, with a game that is hard to port to PS4 when it still has such a large userbase. So most of those games just do not want that hassle.
The Xbox one is also slowly abandonned by Microsoft. It will be soon 10 years since its creation anyway. Time to go next gen and kill it and the PS4.

Last edited:

Three

Look back at what you was replying to.

Someone said 2 to a platform Xbox Series X + Series S for Xbox
And PS5 + PS4 for Playstation then I pointed out that it's actually 3 for Playstation because of PS4 Pro
I saw that but the guy after was just pointing out that you would have had xbox one x too if you count PS4 Pro separately.

Last edited:

Skifi28

the lover number of consoles
gS8eNDj.gif

DonJimbo

Bone was too weak hardwarewise and saleswise
The PS4 is still the king with its installbase

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Why would they bother porting to xbox with half the user base when data is showing that hardly anyone is buying games on ps4 any more?

Sonys exclusives are selling less in the UK with over twice the userbase, or even more if you count ps4 and ps5 so an xbox one version seems irrelevent. For the best really.

They will have ran the numbers and it just doesn't make sense.

yurinka

But Xbox One market share is bigger than Series S/X and software sells are probably closer to to Series versions than PS4 is to PS5.
According to Sony around a third of PS5 users didn't have a PS4, so probably are people who had an XBO:

Maybe other players XBO moved to PC, and others to Series. So it's possible that there may not be enough players left in XBO for these publishers.

xrnzaaas

You need to look at the common theme here.
These are Japanese games. Xbox one has no presence in Japan, while PS4 had 9m sales.
No one cares about presence in Japan lol. They are meant to be sold worldwide and copies sold in Japan will cover a small percentage.

For me it's a simple decision - a lot of people still own a PS4 and can't get a PS5 while you can get a Series S for cheap.

Three

Its most problem down to the Xbox One memory system just it's worth the effort. Bit silly not to have One X verssions mind
The xbox one version is more likely than an xbox one x. The one X has a much lower installbase than the S. Nothing to do with memory here. The PS4 and Xbox one have the same amount of memory.

SHA

You can't develop for One X and not One. So saying "but PS has 3 specs" you would be comparing to xbox's 4 specs. That's what they're talking about.
They are telling you to buy the s ,it's obvious, that's what they wanted.

stranno

Pretty sure XBOX One lower RAM and GPU performance was always a pain in the ass for developers.

I guess it just does not worth anymore to try to downgrade the games.

Honestly because I would imagine
the sales would be very low on the XBOX. Statistically Xbox gamers don’t buy as many games as PlayStation or Nintendo gamers, so that’s probably the main reason why.

PS4 is still available for sale and is currently still positioned as the bottom of the PS lineup for entry-level buyers.

The XSS eliminated the X1 from MS's plans entirely. I'm sure that has a part in it.

I wonder when the PS4 will actually get a price drop and at what point does Sony drop the price of the PS5 in order to push software sales faster.

The PS4 stunningly still costs 300 dollars after only receiving 1 price drop its whole life, not including black Friday sales where it was as low as 239.

DaGwaphics

I wonder when the PS4 will actually get a price drop and at what point does Sony drop the price of the PS5 in order to push software sales faster.

The PS4 stunningly still costs 300 dollars after only receiving 1 price drop its whole life, not including black Friday sales where it was as low as 239.

It surprises me that they don't work harder at getting the late gen - after gen adopters. They sold a lot of volume with PS1 & PS2 once they got the price down so far (I think it was like 30m or 40m sales), and they did try their best with PS3 and the super slim model.

It surprises me that they don't work harder at getting the late gen - after gen adopters. They sold a lot of volume with PS1 & PS2 once they got the price down so far (I think it was like 30m or 40m sales), and they did try their best with PS3 and the super slim model.

I think the adoption rates aren't worth it compared to PS5 and maybe the margins aren't great on PS4, which explains why it hasn't really dropped in price and why they discontinued the ps4 pro rather than drop its price to something lower than the ps5 digital edition. Crazy that they were both 400 dollars at the same time.

DaGwaphics

I think the adoption rates aren't worth it compared to PS5 and maybe the margins aren't great on PS4, which explains why it hasn't really dropped in price and why they discontinued the ps4 pro rather than drop its price to something lower than the ps5 digital edition. Crazy that they were both 400 dollars at the same time.

The margins have to be huge on a $300 PS4 at this point. You can literally get a 500GB spinner for $20 at retail now. Probably somewhere north of 50%.

Last edited:

Mung

I'm sure other folks have mentioned this but the percentage difference between xbox one and ps4 was pretty big in terms of teraflops. Much much bigger than this gen. It wasn't just the Ram.
Also sales were much poorer for xbox one, and ps4 probably has a much bigger active user base.

The xbox one version is more likely than an xbox one x. The one X has a much lower installbase than the S. Nothing to do with memory here. The PS4 and Xbox one have the same amount of memory.
The Xbox One uses slower memory (DDR3) and developers have to contend with the Xbox One embedded SRAM too.

Thirty7ven

Banned
PlayStation has over twice the install base and the amount of active, full price game buying audience is still very large while it’s probably almost done on Xbox One.

DonF

And PS5 + PS4 for Playstation then I pointed out that it's actually 3 for Playstation because of PS4 Pro
What are you talking about?
The PS4 is just the regular and the pro. Slim has no difference in performance. Unlike the Xbox one OG that's has a slower clock speed vs the Xbox one S and the one x that is a whole different beast.
Devs have to test more setups on the Xbox ecosystem.

squarealex

Street Fighter 6 , Resident Evil 4 REmake & some others have made the choice to leave out Xbox One.

PS4 & Xbox One is pretty close in specs besides the crazy RAM setup but that never stopped any games from coming to Xbox One in the past.

DDR3, lame GPU

Just look how awful running Soul Hackers 2

unknown.png

Also... not sure they have many people playing Xbox One... Also, remember how much sales Phoenix Wright do on Xbox One...

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy

Switch – 462,395
PC – 245,339
PS4 – 103,235
Xbox – 4,821

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Alot of countries, usually the poor ones, are only finally getting their hands on a PS4. So theres still alot of people on the PS4 which aren't really ready to migrate to PS5. I believe they think theres no actual harm developing to PS4 until the install base is fully ready to migrate to PS5, not to mention the basically non existant competition.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
No one cares about presence in Japan lol. They are meant to be sold worldwide and copies sold in Japan will cover a small percentage.
A japanese company would care more about their country sales first.
They cant ignore that 9m ps4 users in their country.
For me it's a simple decision - a lot of people still own a PS4 and can't get a PS5 while you can get a Series S for cheap
This is just simply an ignorant statement. Being cheap doesnt mean everyone has it. Or else alot of xss would have been sold by now.

Both consoles arent even close to half of the previous gen.

cireza

If the game is targeting a Western audience, dropping Xbox One is dumb. Especially if it is not particularly challenging to put the game on it.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Maybe this is what Jim meant by believing in generations

Sony themselves have supported the PS4 up to a point since the PS5 launch, whereas MS has abandoned XB1. This (and the larger installed base) has resulted in PS4 still having a healthy number of active users, which publishers can still leverage.

Last edited:

Fbh

The sales are probably not worth it. These companies don't make decisions like this based on online console warring, Capcom has released plenty of games in the past 2 years and they probably just have the sales data that shows that releasing games on Xbox one isn't worth it anymore.

Ps4 has a substantially higher install base and has historically had much stronger software sales (specially for Japanese games). Not to mention Ps4's are still being sold while MS discontinued the Xbox One line.

This is a limited example because it's UK only and Physical media only but 80% of physical copies of RE Village in the UK were sold on playstation.
And that was almost 2 years ago, there's probably now tons of users who have migrated to current gen consoles. Not to mention that people who actually buy games at launch are probably more likely to have upgraded their hardware by now.
I imagine the number of people still using a base Xbox One but buying $60 games at launch must be very small.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Probably 3 reasons.

1. Xbox one s baseline is the lowest spec which could be just too much to deal with

2. There are way more ps4s in the world than Xbox ones.

3. Because adding Xbox one would be 4 platforms in total for Xbox having to port for. XsX, XsS, XoX, XoS.

the OG Xbone is a broke ass piece of junk that barely functions, with no user base, so i'm sure Devs just don't want to port to it. You're forgetting the PS4 has 110 million consoles out there. Xbone not so much.

Bojji

If the game is targeting a Western audience, dropping Xbox One is dumb. Especially if it is not particularly challenging to put the game on it.

It probably is much more work than some publisher are ready to pay for. You have different memory architecture on X1, requires a lot of optimization to run decently and THEN you have much weaker GPU. For a last gen console with low install base it may be not worth it.

I wonder how XSS will perform in next 2, 3 years...

StereoVsn

Why would they bother porting to xbox with half the user base when data is showing that hardly anyone is buying games on ps4 any more?

Sonys exclusives are selling less in the UK with over twice the userbase, or even more if you count ps4 and ps5 so an xbox one version seems irrelevent. For the best really.

They will have ran the numbers and it just doesn't make sense.
Yep, it's a weaker system (Xbone vs PS4), with much smaller install base, with last gen only users already not buying close to same software levels as next gen users (exception probably being FIFA, Madden, CoD, etc).

Then you throw in GamePass on Xbox side which unlike PS+ versions brings in Day One games. We had the discussion in Hogwarts thread and likely sales (or lack thereof).
Its most problem down to the Xbox One memory system just it's worth the effort. Bit silly not to have One X verssions mind
There is a party clause. Can't just release a game for One X, it has to release on OG Xbone and One S.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Publishers funding the applicable games probably just did the arithmetic and concluded it wasn't worth going multi-plat.

Top Bottom