• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross Gen games coming to PS4 while leaving out Xbox One seems wierd

There is a party clause. Can't just release a game for One X, it has to release on OG Xbone and One S.
Like with some of the stupid party clause's of the 360, it needs to be dropped. The XBox One is dead and its better to have a game on the One X than not at all IMO.
Not that I really want 3rd parties or 1st parties to waste their time on the old gen, it really is time to move on ?

Three

Like with some of the stupid party clause's of the 360, it needs to be dropped. The XBox One is dead and its better to have a game on the One X than not at all IMO.
Not that I really want 3rd parties or 1st parties to waste their time on the old gen, it really is time to move on ?
The one X is even more dead than the one S. It was barely getting support even when it was 'alive'. I honestly think devs would choose none at all if they didn’t choose to develop for one.

Last edited:

Baki

Street Fighter 6 , Resident Evil 4 REmake & some others have made the choice to leave out Xbox One.

PS4 & Xbox One is pretty close in specs besides the crazy RAM setup but that never stopped any games from coming to Xbox One in the past.
PS4 had 50% better gpu and that doesn’t even account for the ram bandwidth advantage.

Supple

Banned
It doesn’t help that only a small percentage of Game Pass subscribers actually pay full price for games.

Last edited:
It’s a business-based decision. Nothing to do with specs. So in that regard, I would say it isn’t weird at all. PS4 has a much higher install base, and still clearly quite a bit of demand for software from people who haven’t upgraded to current-gen yet. Whereas the business opportunity from porting to Xbox One, depending on the game of course, probably isn’t worth the time and resources to port. The games go where the audiences are 🤷‍♂️

Would open up Microsoft to a class action lawsuit.

You can't sell me an XSS saying it will have all the same games as an XSX with just lower resolution and framerate and then not deliver on that.

The one X is even more dead than the one S. It was barely getting support even when it was 'alive'. I honestly think devs would choose none at all if they didn’t choose to develop for one.
I wish development would stop on the PS 4 and Xbox One. But If we must have last gen versions. I rather see a XBox One X than no Xbox One version at all

JackMcGunns

In hindsight this makes Jack Ryan's comments on PS5 moving on to true next gen games even more cringy. Ironically it's the PS4 holding everything back now.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

That's not really true.

Look at God of War and Horizon.

They're both optimized for PS4 Pro as well. I doubt any PS4 game that comes out now isn't still being optimized for PS4 Pro. It's just more horsepower.
I wouldnt be surprised if first party playstation games have some sort of obligation to support the PS4 pro as well if they are cross gen

I don't think third party games will have specific support for it moving forwards

Last edited:
Because the games come out on the Series S

Will they next generation?

We've already seen with Baldur's Gate issues with the Series S, which in turn impact the Series X releases. I don't think it's a wild assumption to believe that next-generation cross-gen titles will struggle with the Series S, which may continue to impact the Series X.

We're seeing exactly that with the Xbox One.

We've already seen with Baldur's Gate issues with the Series S, which in turn impact the Series X releases. I don't think it's a wild assumption to believe that next-generation cross-gen titles will struggle with the Series S, which may continue to impact the Series X.

The difference is the X|S are mandated to be simultaneous, and that isn't changing. Even though Series S is lower spec, they are otherwise treated as the same console. Which is completely different than how it was during the Xbox One generation with, OG, One S and One X. One X was completely optional for developers to use or not use. and didn't have to get it's own patch or version, unless a developer chose to utilize it.

The difference is the X|S are mandated to be simultaneous, and that isn't changing. Even though Series S is lower spec, they are otherwise treated as the same console. Which is completely different than how it was during the Xbox One generation with, OG, One S and One X. One X was completely optional for developers to use or not use. and didn't have to get it's own patch or version, unless a developer chose to utilize it.

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying.

The Series S is treated as the same console, but it isn't. The lower spec makes a difference, just like the lower spec (but main Xbox One).

The Xbox One is being dropped because it is too weak for cross-gen and it'll be the same for the Series S, yet it'll also impact the Series X.

I assume its the smaller userbase,higher specs on PS4 and maybe some incentive from Sony themselves.
This. It's a lot of small reasons. PS4 install base is enormous. It has a large active userbase still in Japan, as PS5 is still in early phase of it's life. Software sales in and out of Japan are still fairly solid, for an older console. And due to this, there is money being left on the table for certain games if you don't port them to PS4, as there are still so many people with a PS4 and not something newer. Xbox One, it is safe to make the assumption that most of what's mentioned above is not the case, especially in Japan (and with Japanese-made games in general), and also that likely a lot of active One users are converted over to Series X|S. Combined, the data probably tells developers and publishers that there just isn't enough of an active base of One users any longer to justify porting a lot of these games.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
jim-ryan-laughing.gif
he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it-fed-up.gif

Belthazar

I saw that but the guy after was just pointing out that you would have had xbox one x too if you count PS4 Pro separately.

And also count the OG One and One S, as there's differences in the hardware.

So, in the end a Cross-gen game has to cater to 3 platforms on PlayStation and 5 on Xbox. Insane when you think about it.

damidu

not surprising, they have to support one s which is abysmal even in last gen standards.
also user base

now new question is, will ps6 era crossgen games skip series x because of series s?
series s is even more of a turd than one s was, within its own respective generation.

For me it's a simple decision - a lot of people still own a PS4 and can't get a PS5 while you can get a Series S for cheap.
This is the ramifications of the PS5 being difficult to get for awhile.

We'd better get used to it, because there's a 99.999% probability that people will be using this excuse for decades to come.

They are Japanese games. Their studios focuses on their territories first.

Dumb statement, considering PS+ premium is becoming like gamepass (aside of day1).
Well frankly, that's one of among many dumb statements being made. What with all the "what about competition" going around lately.

CamHostage

The Xbox One is being dropped because it is too weak for cross-gen and it'll be the same for the Series S, yet it'll also impact the Series X.

"Power" probably isn't much of a factor for this conversation? We're talking about games being made to include not only PS4, but even sometimes Switch. These are games which, if they were made in America or Europe, would be on all four platforms; you don't see this trend of PS4/PS5/X1/XSeries in publishers from other territories.

Power level of base/S Xbox One may be interesting from an economic standpoint given that there are differences in the low levels and thus there are more Xbox console variants than PS variants as Bethazar said, but otherwise it doesn't seem to be a conclusive factor in the Xbox One being left out of these specific product releases.

Last edited:
"Power" probably isn't much of a factor for this conversation? We're talking about games being made to include not only PS4, but even sometimes Switch. These are games which, if they were made in America or Europe, would be on all four platforms; you don't see this trend of PS4/PS5/X1/XSeries in publishers from other territories.

Power level of base/S Xbox One may be interesting from an economic standpoint given that there are differences in the low levels and thus there are more Xbox console variants than PS variants as Bethazar said, but otherwise it doesn't seem to be a conclusive factor in the Xbox One being left out of these specific product releases.

Don't you think the economics of the switch make it worth it despite the power?

What you have with the X1 is poor economics and poor power.

CamHostage

Don't you think the economics of the switch make it worth it despite the power?

What you have with the X1 is poor economics and poor power.

Sure, but no other region's publishers are answering the power differential challenge by just cutting the Xbox One product line out.

StereoVsn

What info do you have to make a determination which users have purchased which system?
I don't have any information in which users purchased which systems obviously but for general system purchase ratios, Microsoft (and Sony too actually) released this info previously. Been a few years though.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't think it's weird. I think people have pretty much moved on from Xbox One because Microsoft has moved on from Xbox One. They either went to PS4 or, for the diehard Xbox fans, have moved to Series. Devs are going to focus their resources on Series because that's where the active Xbox players are.

It's different with PlayStation because there are still so many active PS4 users out there that third party devs stand a much better chance of being successful releasing on PS4 since PS5 can still play those games. There aren't enough PS5's in homes yet for most multiplat devs to risk only releasing the PlayStation version on PS5 unless they're sure they have a hit on their hands. I wouldn't be surprised if some smaller developers never quit publishing games for the PS4, at least not until Sony stops accepting game submissions for it.

Can't help bu think you're just stirring.
Unless I missed somthing Baldur's Gate isn't coming to last gen consoles. This threat is about games which are and I would rather see a XBox One X version than none at all.

PeteBull

Its all pretty simple, ofc xbox one is roughly 30% weaker and coz of ddr3 harder to make games for, but true reason why some devs dont wanna port on it is simple math, only around 55m total xbox one have sold( including one X), and basically every active/hardcore gamer, after almost 2,5years of next gen consoles launch already bought series s/x, so only ones with last gen consoles are xbox users who dont buy games at all, hence almost 0 benefit to put those games in there, thats it, mystery solved.

Ps4 being roughly 30% stronger isnt the current problem of xbox one(and one X who is actually stronger from series S gpu wise), just how lil their owners left, active owners who buy games, with ps4 instal base is over 2x bigger ( 117,2m official data from sony https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/10/ps4-...-2-million-2nd-biggest-console-ever-17161895/ ) and no gamepass so they still gotta buy games after all, but i bet 2023 will be last year we getting last gen ps4/pro ports too, for most games- probably with exception of fifa which wont even be full ports but downgraded versions.

Last edited:
Can't help bu think you're just stirring.
Unless I missed somthing Baldur's Gate isn't coming to last gen consoles. This threat is about games which are and I would rather see a XBox One X version than none at all.

Stirring?

My point is the problem we're seeing with seeing Xbox One X versions is the exact same problem we're seeing with XSS and Baldur's Gate.

Top Bottom