• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat: Dead Rising 4 is not Dead Rising

The "here are the previous games these people have worked on" bit is great

Also that one producer who keeps saying "we talked to the fans so we are doing ____" WHAT FANS DID HE TALK TO?

Chuck

Still without luck
"We did lots and lots and lots of focus testing and we've found it steered our creative work in the right direction."

-various marking moron, 20xx

Velikost

To all the people who're complaining about the timer, not every game has to be for you brehs.

I played DR3 at launch and I could of sworn there was a sort of timer for missions, a red bar on the right side of the screen.

DR3 had a timer, but it was so lenient it became a non-issue. They did include a harder, more strict mode but from what I've heard it's still not that bad.

DR4 is the DR game people who liked the premise have wanted since DR1, its just not the game people who actually liked DR1 wanted to see made.

As someone who like DR to a point before the timer over stresses me out and I quit, DR4 looks super exciting.

I did have a more aggressive response to all the people defending this game's design decisions, but instead I'll just say I hope you're happy that you turned an amazing survival horror game into a dumbass musou.

RPGam3r

I mean, to me, without timers DR is nothing. It's just a worse version of Dying Light. So people asking for it to be removed is just asking for it to be changed in a way that redefines the series in a negative way. It doesn't have to appeal to everyone or be stress free. It's (or at least it used to be) a survival game. Games like that are tense. I'm just lamenting the loss of a unique series.

Negative to you, positive for me. I don't think this game without a timer matches Dying Light, they would still be clearly different in just mechanics alone.

I don't mind tense gaming, but I don't want it implemented with a timer.

Never liked this and feel like it is being harsh to dead rising four. Mostly feel like CrowbCat try's do down play people and make it seem like the devs have no idea what they are doing. Especially when he shows the work those 3 people previous did.

That and this dead rising looks more interesting than the rest. I enjoyed 1 and 2 never played 3 but hated the timer and do think frank west is better off being some kind of ash from evil dead.

Their are complaints but the way this dude does it is in somewhat of a mean sprit. Hoping dead rising 4 turns out to be a fun game and over the top stupidity.

Anticol

Banned
So games should never improve on things that hold back the potential of a series?

If more devs listened to folks that want shit mechanics kept in games, we never would have got Assassin's Creed 2.

You think improving is doing the same game as everyone else is doing and removing what makes the game unique?

You know guys I really don't like the difficulty in the Souls series, I mean who has the time now to play a game that's hard, and makes you get good at it?! I hope the next Souls game is more like Skyrim and then they'll have me on board!

If you people want more Dead Rising 4 experience may I also suggest Saints Row 4, The musuo series, and State of Emergency on PS2!

rubes7844

Banned
I did have a more aggressive response to all the people defending this game's design decisions, but instead I'll just say I hope you're happy that you turned an amazing survival horror game into a dumbass musou.

Colin-Farrell-WTF.gif

Dabanton

DR3 had a timer, but it was so lenient it became a non-issue. They did include a harder, more strict mode but from what I've heard it's still not that bad.

Yeah I liked the way DR3 did it a timer that doesn't punish you and allows you to explore but lets you know you may miss certain events or characters dying if you don't time manage. As you said iirc they did put a 'hardcore' timer mode in for people who wanted that.

Mass One

That sounds rad. If it is like that, then I'll definitely buy it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
DR4 is the DR game people who liked the premise have wanted since DR1, its just not the game people who actually liked DR1 wanted to see made.

As someone who like DR to a point before the timer over stresses me out and I quit, DR4 looks super exciting.

Yep.

Add a timer to any of your favourite games and it's all but guaranteed it'll make it suck.

People don't play games to be rushed. People play games to have fun and in most cases relax. Who the FUCK wants the extra pressure of a timer in their leisure hobby?

"I was totally going to get angry that people have different opinions than mine so I'll just sort of passively aggressively tell you all that I had this thing typed out indicating how overly invested I am in what you guys like and don't like concerning my favorite series."

Chairhome

I was down to buy this day 1... This video scares me. I am a diehard DR fan. Loved the timer. I actually bought an original xbox because of the first game. They are changing way too much. Might be a sit and wait now

Tyrus

Banned
The lowest common denominator consists of people that like to assume those with different preferences are blithering idiots. You're getting on your high horse about a game that allows you to dress up in a bikini while killing zombies with a wheelchair tank.

Found the filthy casual. Triggered?

No high horse here mate, expressing my opinion, which is:

Dead Rising 1, 2, OTR and even 3 + timer + limited inventory space + horror story with black comedy and some craziness = series identity.

Dead Rising 4 seems to have discarded a lot of this, and gone too OTT. Yes, I think there's a point where it just goes full Saints Row 4 in a bad way, even with what the series has been known for in that department (some of the psycopaths, the similar dildo weapons, etc).

Also of my opinion was that there were heaps of whiners about the timer which lead to this. Source? All over NeoGaf Dead Rising threads. So at least they will get something out of DR4.

I wasn't complaining at all about being able to dress up in a bikini while killing zombies in a wheelchair tank. Yes, that was there, and I think the crazy gameplay juxtaposed (IMO, brilliantly) with the serious way the characters tended to approach the apocalyptic situations during the story. Ironically, I think Nick in Dead Rising 3 is the best example, even though the third entry was the one I enjoyed the least.

What they have shown in Dead Rising 4 is they're going for a different market (appealing to those who complained about the timer + wanting some streamlining + just wanting more dumb ways to kill zombies) and I dislike what I've seen so far. The way Frank talks and acts like a buffoon also grinds my gears; he never was like that in Dead Rising 1.

Plus, no TJ Rotolo for Frank West. Absolutely crazy.

nynt9

Yep.

Add a timer to any of your favourite games and it's all but guaranteed it'll make it suck.

People don't play games to be rushed. People play games to have fun and in most cases relax. Who the FUCK wants the extra pressure of a timer in their leisure hobby?

Who the FUCK plays survival horror games or any other game that introduces tension and a sense of challenge?

Maybe different people expect different things from games? Why is that so hard to understand?

"Horror""survival"
LMAO. Running around in your mankini with a lightsaber and a tiger co-op buddy while taking a break from American gladiators or taking photos of womens breasts.

Yesssss. CrowbCat is the best. So disappointed in Dead Rising 4 and what's been shown so far. Identity of the series has been scrapped to appeal to the lowest common denominator ("Herp derp I hate timers, herp derp I just wanna kill zombies, herp derp Dead Rising was always as crazy as Saints Row").

so, 'herp derp' is still a thing? :) ...

Velikost

Yep.

Damn, wish I had the knowledge to speak on behalf of everyone who plays games

Who the FUCK plays survival horror games or any other game that introduces tension and a sense of challenge?

Maybe different people expect different things from games? Why is that so hard to understand?

ayy my guy ��

rubes7844

Banned

Dead Rising 1, 2, OTR and even 3 + timer + limited inventory space + horror story with black comedy and some craziness = series identity.

Dead Rising 4 seems to have discarded a lot of this, and gone too OTT. Yes, I think there's a point where it just goes full Saints Row 4 in a bad way, even with what the series has been known for in that department (some of the psycopaths, the similar dildo weapons, etc).

Also of my opinion was that there were heaps of whiners about the timer which lead to this. Source? All over NeoGaf Dead Rising threads. So at least they will get something out of DR4.

I wasn't complaining at all about being able to dress up in a bikini while killing zombies in a wheelchair tank. Yes, that was there, and I think the crazy gameplay juxtaposed (IMO, brilliantly) with the serious way the characters tended to approach the apocalyptic situations during the story. Ironically, I think Nick in Dead Rising 3 is the best example, even though the third entry was the one I enjoyed the least.

What they have shown in Dead Rising 4 is they're going for a different market (appealing to those who complained about the timer + wanting some streamlining + just wanting more dumb ways to kill zombies) and I dislike what I've seen so far.

Filthy casual? Wrf

JayEH

What they have shown in Dead Rising 4 is they're going for a different market (appealing to those who complained about the timer + wanting some streamlining + just wanting more dumb ways to kill zombies) and I dislike what I've seen so far. The way Frank talks and acts like a buffoon also grinds my gears; he never was like that in Dead Rising 1.

if anybody got triggered it was you

The lowest common denominator consists of people that like to assume those with different preferences are blithering idiots. You're getting on your high horse about a game that allows you to dress up in a bikini while killing zombies with a wheelchair tank.

You're not making sense. Lowest common denominator has a literal definition and is being used as such. They're making DR4 to appeal to that, and they've determined that to be killing zombies and WACKY DUMB SHIT. And it's probably true, because lord knows that DR4 is focus-tested all to hell, by the devs' own admissions. And that comes at the cost of a lot of what made the series unique in the past, and those of us that liked it for that are sad about it. Homogeneous game design is what got us to every open world game having towers and the same mindless icon collecting and bar filling. All the challenge has been stripped from Dead Rising. Some of you may not care, but don't pretend that's not what's happening.

By contrast, this is exactly what FromSoft has NOT done with the Souls games, by and large. And guess what, they do just fine.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
This game brings out the passive aggressive anger by purists more than anything I've seen.

I've played and enjoyed all the DR games and think this latest entry looks fun as hell.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Dead Rising was never survival horror.

There's your problem right there I'd wager.

Also, remind me. Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Dead Space etc etc. all have timers too? Or were they all babby's first horror games?

Tyrus

Banned
Hahaha at the reaction to filthy casual comment. Maybe I should have added an emoticon to clarify it wasn't mean-spirited.

if anybody got triggered it was you

Yeah, so elaborating on opinion and replying is just me getting triggered. K' den, cheers for contribution to discussion.

Anticol

Banned
Yep.

You know m8, there are people with completely different tastes and some of them actually like challenges and not a brainless game with nothing to offer just hordes of harmless enemies. At least respect others and don't expect them to like the same thing that you do.

Seems to be the way with these franchises, you either die too young or live long enough to become something entirely different. Shame, still will give it a whirl at a decent price, but a shame.

I loved the first game but for me the timer wasn't what made it special or memorable. I can understand why they made it that way, creating a sense of tension, that no time to lose feeling especially when trying to save survivors.

What made it memorable for me was the B movie style setting/atmosphere and of course the really fun ways to deal with zombies, from your standard guns and bats to throwing a bunch of marbles or jewellery on the floor seeing zombies fall flat on their ass or putting a toy helmet on their head seeing them bump into each other and one of my favourites was kicking a soccer ball hard into a group of them. Plus the photo taking was addictive.

Just my thoughts anyway.

I am. Thanks!

That sounds rad. If it is like that, then I'll definitely buy it.

"I was totally going to get angry that people have different opinions than mine so I'll just sort of passively aggressively tell you all that I had this thing typed out indicating how overly invested I am in what you guys like and don't like concerning my favorite series."

Hahahaha.

Should've just gone aggressive.

Would've been way easier just to say that the team behind the game are dumbshits.

"Horror""survival"
LMAO. Running around in your mankini with a lightsaber and a tiger co-op buddy while taking a break from American gladiators or taking photos of womens breasts.

You didn't play Dead Rising 1. Good work.

Other

"For every fan of the series we will lose in the core, we will pick up 2 or 3 new comers in the casuals" -Capcom Sales exec

Squire

Banned
Yeah after Halo I'm not giving another "not muh" CrowbCat vid a chance.

This right here.

Shit's boring and whiny. He's capable of making a point very well, but not of this sort. He should've stopped working on this one as soon as he realized he needed to put up box art and captions with cheesy music in the background just to explain the premise of the video. LOL

Makes me laugh "we brought back fan favorite Frank West" who looks nothing like him and sounds nothing like him, both in voice and script.

Veldin

That "core elements" montage at the end is fucking spot-on.

These charlatans ruined Dead Rising. Completely ruined it.

Yep.

Not every game is made for every person.

I enjoyed the timer because it forced me to consider the choices I had to make in the game. I enjoy the strategic element as well as the feeling of accomplishment when I take on a lot of different tasks and complete them all within the allotted time period.

It also forced the developers to make a certain type of game as well. The timer dictates level size and level design. It forces the developers to consider how to pace the story and when to start certain side missions. A timer forces the game to be a very tight experience. DR and DR2 are very lean games, and as such don't really have filler content.

The Nightmare mode in DR3 was terrible because all they did was cut down the timer and make enemies harder. That game was not designed around it and so it doesn't really emulate what the previous games did.

This game brings out the passive aggressive anger by purists more than anything I've seen.

I've played and enjoyed all the DR games and think this latest entry looks fun as hell.

Dead Rising 1 was the first game that wow'd me on the 360. It was also the first game that treated a zombie game as more of a sim/ sandbox, and the timer made the world feel more... living? It basically felt like you were playing "Dawn of the Dead the game". I mean we have State of Decay now, but for the longest time Dead Rising 1, was one of its kind.

Top Bottom