• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat: Dead Rising 4 is not Dead Rising

batfax

Oh, man. I don't think I saw the dev comment on psychopaths before. That's just... miserable. Each psychopath was part of the game world before, they were reacting to the situations and put a story to their environment. Saying they weren't is just silly, and saying they are NOW is even sillier when Santa there literally just appears from a lightning bolt.

I thought before I might get the game in a sale way down the line or something, but man... I'm just finding it hard to respect the devs and their decisions on any level.

Dead Rising has to be the worst managed franchise in the video game industry.

Dead Rising - Masterpiece

Dead Rising 2 - Ok

Dead Rising 2:OTR - Cash grab

Dead Rising 3 - Disappointing

Dead Rising 4 - Why was this game even made

I only ever played the first game and I really enjoyed it, but not a surprise when games get to their fourth iteration they're different.

Inviusx

Im totally going to be an arm chair developer here but why not just design the game around having a time limit and then just give people an option to turn it off. Like a difficulty setting or something.

The only complaint I'd have about the series (at least the first couple games) was the horrible AI and some control jank. The timed aspect didn't bother me so much. Although putting that behind a season pass paywall just screams cynical siphoning of money from people who loved that mechanic.

Gator86

Worst Crow video I've seen so far. Way too long. His/her stuff is best when it's shorter and obvious, without tons of explanation necessary. Crow's Battleborn and Watch Dogs videos were great.

Maximo

Im totally going to be an arm chair developer here but why not just design the game around having a time limit and then just give people an option to turn it off. Like a difficulty setting or something.

Whats the point in it then, it fundamentally changes its design, as you said *like a difficulty setting* because thats all it will feel like.

I'm in the camp of people who prefer Dead Rising to have timers and psychopaths. Does Dead Rising 4 even have psychopaths?

Either way, I'll probably play this game eventually, but it won't be a day one purchase.

Sou Da

I actually thought that was a great video outlining the differences between Bungie and 343
It was a selectively edited attack ad with him cherry picking vidocs and pressing them against footage of 343 at cons and such to paint of picture of humble and cool vs loud and dudebro.

And in the middle of all that he got so into his feelings he just edited in someone shouting "Black Ops 3"

Yeah no, fuck his "not muh" videos.

FRS1987

I don't understand the timer complaint most people are having in regards to the older titles. Both Dead Rising 1 and 2 gave you the option to remove the timer and just do whatever you wanted by
killing off important story line characters.
The game didn't punish you for this and even gave you the option to continue without a timer so you could do as you pleased.

I haven't played 3 but to me the appeal of the first 2 games was the overall structure of the game. Not just the timers but the boss fights, leveling up to get stronger, saving survivors and competing with the clock to get things done. I felt this added replay value because by the time you completed the game you were strong enough to do a second play-through with all your new power and abilities and that made it easier for you to do anything you've missed if that at all mattered to you.

I can't say much about 3 since I never played it and 4 isn't a complete game yet so I can't really judge it much but 4 does have a different "feel" and aesthetic to it that goes just beyond the timer and game-play changes which makes it feel different, At least from what I gathered in previews.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
You know m8, there are people with completely different tastes and some of them actually like challenges and not a brainless game with nothing to offer just hordes of harmless enemies. At least respect others and don't expect them to like the same thing that you do.

I have no issue with people liking different things. But given we're on a discussion forum, at least come up with a better reason for why the timer should stay outside "difficulty and tension".

Because you know, apparently those things can't exist in games without a timer now?

Not every game is made for every person.

I enjoyed the timer because it forced me to consider the choices I had to make in the game. I enjoy the strategic element as well as the feeling of accomplishment when I take on a lot of different tasks and complete them all within the allotted time period.

It also forced the developers to make a certain type of game as well. The timer dictates level size and level design. It forces the developers to consider how to pace the story and when to start certain side missions. A timer forces the game to be a very tight experience. DR and DR2 are very lean games, and as such don't really have filler content.

The Nightmare mode in DR3 was terrible because all they did was cut down the timer and make enemies harder. That game was not designed around it and so it doesn't really emulate what the previous games did.

This is basically the only post I've seen make a compelling argument for keeping the timer.

I'll wait for reviews but the changes sound like they're for the better imo. I hated the timer so maybe I'll actually buy this one.

I think I already said this in a similar thread..

I don't understand the timer complaints... just... go play a different game?

I guess Lightening Returns is the closest I can get?

I liked the "games have to evolve" comment at the end, by which he meant stripping it of everything that made it unique.

I wonder if DR1 would have fared better post Souls series.

I think it's akin to the Devil May Cry series where the franchise was doing well then they stripped the games of depth to appeal to a wider audience but ultimately it just resulted in lower sales because the unique mechanics were what the majority of people liked. I don't think it should of made much of a difference if it released later, it's more of an issue of Capcom fucking up ever property they have outside of Monster Hunter.

novabolt

A series must evolve or it will stagnate and die eventfully, I have no problem with trying out DR4 before I give my final verdict on it. Also, except the single-player mode and the mess up of the MCC, I think 343i have nailed it with the Halo series. All 6 needs is a good storyteller.

Gut feeling is it won't do that great, hope I'm wrong as I have fond memories of the series but it feels like a bullet point strategy, a cheque thrown at it for some winter release advertising by MS. do we even need a Dead Rising 4?

I dunno, as I said I hope I'm wrong but I'm already franchise fatigued by a lot of Xbox stuff, is this going to be another.

Inviusx

Whats the point in it then, it fundamentally changes its design, as you said *like a difficulty setting* because thats all it will feel like.

Im sure theres a better way around it but you get what I'm saying right?

Anyway I'm not a huge fan of this series but the time constraint aspect is what made it unique. Removing that element turns this into just another open world character action game.

Anticol

Banned
I have no issue with people liking different things. But given we're on a discussion forum, at least come up with a better reason for why the timer should stay outside "difficulty and tension".

Is not only that, the timer made the player to make a decision, to plan in advance or follow his/her instinct, it made also feel the world more real since there are situations happening all over the place at the same time and you as a character in the world are not supposed to be able to solved them all.

Anyway, the one complaining about tension and difficulty is you, you were the one with that argument against the timer I just made an example of what people like. But I know what you are defending DR, anyway...

I have not been keeping up with DR4 news but that video was funny. they kept saying they are going back to series roots than they say they are changing a lot of what made it dr.

Ridley327

Because it's not a difficulty setting toggle when the entire game is designed around it. At least as far as the first couple of games are concerned, there's no way to have them play the same without the timer being present. The thrust of the story, the layout of the map, the mission design and subsequent juggling are all tied explicitly to you being on the clock the whole way through.

They tried to have it both ways with DR3 and on that particular aspect, it failed in the eyes of fans and newcomers alike.

OraleeWey

How do you go back to the "core" of what makes Dead Rising yet change so much?

They should just change the message. This is somewhat misleading and untrue. Granted the only DR game I played was 3 and I didn't think it was all that great. It was too goofy.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
How do you go back to the "core" of what makes Dead Rising yet change so much?

They should just change the message. This is somewhat misleading and untrue. Granted the only DR game I played was 3 and I didn't think it was all that great. It was too goofy.

Can you believe that people cited DR3 for not being goofy enough pre-release?

Jawmuncher

I still find those in defense of the timer change as a good thing more odd than those who still want it. A lot of games don't have timers, very little do. Granted this is focus testing and Capcom Vancouvers doing, but I just find it so odd to see the change. Considering games such as dark souls can exist and sell millions of copies with mechanics and difficulty not typical in most games.

It's cool that you are on board now to play it. But it's not like you the earlier games and fans that got the series to the 4th entry should just be cast aside in discussion because you got yours now.

It's the same issue RE has had for years with Horror vs Action. There's room for both parties to be happy. But capcom seems to be really insistent on "it's one or the other".

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The way they talk about the aspects that made Dead Rising unique as if they were bad things makes me realise that they're developers working on a franchise they weren't fans of to begin with. Like what the hell?

As someone who has never played any Dead Rising games before, gotta say that the DR1 trailer at the end looked damn amazing.

I probably should try this series out sometime.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Dead Rising 3 was the best one yet for me, so I'll definitely give 4 a chance, even with the changes.

Dead Rising 3 sold around 2.1 million on Xbox One and Steam with the Steam release coming waaaaaaaaay after the Bone release.

Dead Rising 2 sold 2.7 across 360/PS3/Steam. Given the size of each games potential userbase, the 3rd version seemed like it performed better.

I mean what was the Xbox One install base in the first few months of launch? A few million? If that. DR3 may have been a "launch title" but it still had to compete with CoD, Forza 5, Battlefield, Ryse, Killer Instinct and the standard sport titles to pull those numbers.

So you can see why the devs have tried to mainstream te game even further. Will it work? I doubt it. Not because of the game itself necessarily, I just think that by December everyone will have spent their gaming money for the holiday period and won't be buying much if anything by December.

Well we got 2 and a half good dead Rising games. Every franchise has to go though this "mass market" moment and fail at that and maybe it comes back in a more recognizable form.

Boy the people talking about this game and selling it sound like douchebags.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Who are these gamers that Capcom Vancouver has been talking to?

"Well while we appreciate Frank West old voice actor we talked to gamers and they wanted something fresh!"

"When we talked to gamers we found out that they found making items to be cumbersome and something they would not want to deal with in a post apocalypse world."

The lack of timer isn't the only thing missing from the first one. They tried to recreate DR1 and Frank West but seem to be failing in every which way possible.

Zach

Seems kinda trite. As someone who enjoyed all three Dead Rising games, seeing the little summary of Dead Rising 1's gameplay elements really reminded me of its uniqueness. There was a vision there, and the newer games seem to be lacking that, and that's a shame.

Jerrod

Great video, I hadn't seen most of these interviews. The developers say they focus tested so much that I don't think they did any focus testing at all. I think they didn't know what made DR great or even what it was when they were given the project, they probably played DR1 and hated it and decided they wanted to remake it but by making it what they want instead of the fans. This video makes me really dislike the studio director because he is so happy to shit on what the fans liked.

The Dead Rising 1 trailer was so good, it's the game that sold me on 360 back in the day. I knew the series was pretty much done after 2. Western devs just couldn't match the flavor of the first.

This new game looks like the western silent hill games, a bunch of """superfans""" trying to appeal a completely different audience.

Seems kinda trite. As someone who enjoyed all three Dead Rising games, seeing the little summary of Dead Rising 1's gameplay elements really reminded me of its uniqueness. There was a vision there, and the newer games seem to be lacking that, and that's a shame.

Yeah the end made me sad. Dead Rising 1 wasn't perfect but the things that needed fixing were stuff like survivor AI and shooting controls.

What they did instead was removed all the stuff that made the game unique. I wonder how much Microsoft influence is involved in that.

hawk2025

The series is now DANK MEME weapons with little to no actual game design.

DR3 was mediocre, the expansion was bad, and 4 looks simply awful.

Top Bottom