• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat - LawBreakers in an oversaturated market

You can't know about that meme without being pretty deep in 4chan hell, and people who are that deep in are usually racists and nazis.

I know about plenty of memes of that ilk actually and I'd not classify myself as one who is either a racist or a white supremacist (I ain't even white). Maybe try and add some nuance to your analysis of peoples' political outlooks instead of resorting to binary generalisations.

Fury451

Banned
I'm sure Cliff is a cool dude, but his marketing persona has always been obnoxious. The "none of that $60 multiplayer only bullshit" line is really up it's own butt and some of his comments seem to lack a lot of self-awareness

I know about plenty of memes of that ilk actually and I'd not classify myself as one who is either a racist or a white supremacist (I ain't even white). Maybe try and add some nuance to your analysis of peoples' political outlooks instead of resorting to binary generalisations.
The poster should have said you don't use them unless you're deep in the 4chan hell.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Meh
This is basically just "Decent game doesn't sell well, let's laugh at it"
Also LawBreakers really doesn't look like Overwatch, this seems more like people being shit at describing games. I also didn't get the point showing Titanfall, SW Battlefront and Evolve? What was up with that?

The "none of that $60 multiplayer only bullshit" line is really up it's own butt.

Really? Lots of folks on GAF complain about "60$ for multiplayer only"

Keasar

IeoLc6a.gif

The fuck? :p

Really though, I am sad that Overwatch just grabbed everyone and now "NOTHING ELSE MAY EXIST!" to people. I think Lawbreakers filled it own niche of being this for people who are fans of the Quake or Unreal Tournament type of fast-paced games. Those are not many of nowadays.

Meh
Also LawBreakers really doesn't look like Overwatch, this seems more like people being shit at describing games. I also didn't get the point showing Titanfall, SW Battlefront and Evolve? What was up with that?

The first Titanfall was a multiplayer-only $60 game, as were SW Battlefront and Evolve. He showed them each time Cliffy B would riff on that trope that he's being pro-consumer by only charging $30 for his multiplayer-only video game. Again, this was deliberate in its use to highlight the confused marketing strategy Cliffy B adopted by backdoor comparing his games to all those that already exist under the guise of trying to state his game was different.

packy34

He can't really go for that angle because the game is actually good, the things people are jumping on are the marketing and low player count.

I played the beta and didn't find it fun at all. Twitchy, jumpy arena shooters are relics of the 90s. We've moved on.

I also found the characters and maps rather bland.

Betty

Banned
Meh

They are all popular FPS's in a saturated market.

And though you think it 'really doesn't look like Overwatch' it sure is referred as such by most people.

Would you use them in your public works, spreading them to a quite big audience?

DerpHause

The poster should have said you don't use them unless you're deep in the 4chan hell.

Why would you refrain from using them if you had no idea of the origin or apparent racists connotation? Were it not for Gaf very enthusiastically condemning it I still wouldn't know there was any issue with it even after watching the video.

Just to be clear I'd heard it before, but never would have had any issues with repeating it until the thread here.

Mechazawa

This is just an insane topic to bring out regarding 3 seconds of audio out of HOURS of uploaded video. I mean... I wonder what percentage that is?

49 videos. Let's say 10 minutes on average. 3 seconds out of 29400 seconds includes jokes of a racist origin. Suddenly a certain sect of GAF wants the message on this guy to be "he's a white supremacist, get him off the forum."

I'm not convinced. And that's coming from someone who used to love Jontron before his obvious white supremacist tirade (pretty compelling evidence when you just come out and admit it).

So what's the play here, folks. Super ear-to-the-ground internet person who makes popular meme videos wasn't aware of the racist 4chan meme they intentionally put in their video?

Also, are any of you interested in buying a bridge.

Nekrono

Meh

Seems more like "Yoo newbz my game is da shitz and you're gonna love it and buy it" and then once it releases the game struggles to get 1k people online.

Very well worth a video from Cowbcat.

Fury451

Banned

More his persona/delivery. I personally have no issue with devs charging the price they deem warranted, nor people who choose not to purchase based on that (like $60 for a multi-only game), it's just the way he says it like all those games are wrong but his opinion is right.

Personally the game looks fun but not something I would play on PS4 and I know my PC wouldn't run it. I think it being a new and unknown multiplayer only IP despite Cliff's pedigree behind it makes it a hard sell though ironically.

packy34

Another thing I've never understood. People will gladly pay $60 for a 8-15 hour linear/crafted single-player game, but a game like R6 Siege that focuses on multiplayer and requires hundreds of hours of play to fully grasp is somehow "not worth it" because it's "only multiplayer".

Why would you refrain from using them if you had no idea of the origin or apparent racists connotation? Were it not for Gaf very enthusiastically condemning it I still wouldn't know there was any issue with it even after watching the video.

Just to be clear I'd heard it before, but never repeated it because I thought it was low brow rather than racist.
The "joke" is the racism. That's the punchline. It makes no sense otherwise.

Budi

So, is it a good game? Its got positive reviews on Steam.
Yeah absolutely, even professional critic reviews have been mostly positive. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1418066 The biggest problem really is the low player count, it's very sad since it deserves so much more. People are finding matches quick, except the people at higher MMR. Some long waiting times there. The devs acted quick with the PS4 problems and other than that the experience has been really smooth all around. No other problems at launch. The devs have communicated well, few of them even been posting in the Gaf OT. Not Cliff though =P Not sure if people here would let him, seems like he isn't well liked for nonsensical reasons. Game feels fresh while it still somewhat takes my back to my times with Quake, Tribes and Unreal. The different movement options on the classes makes the simple act of moving your character a joy. Gunplay feels great too. There's a decent skill ceiling so there's much to learn and improve for the players.

Would you use them in your public works, spreading them to a quite big audience?

I would. Again, the context in which he used it and the intention are ambiguous but that ambiguity was amateurish on his part, because you're logically leaving your audience to conclude your use of it was tantamount to an affirmation.

Regardless, I'm not so concerned about Crowb's use of the meme as much as the binary generalisation within the individual's post that I responded to.

Like, i don't even wan to defend this racist meme, but do you not see how you're straight up contradicting yourself?

Yeah, this.

I would. Again, the context in which he used it and the intention are ambiguous but that ambiguity was amateurish on his part, because you're logically leaving your audience to conclude your use of it was tantamount to an affirmation.

Regardless, I'm not so concerned about Crowb's use of the meme as much as the binary generalisation within the individual's post that I responded to.

pointing out racism is worse than using racist memes lol

Gator86

It was a single line in an 18 minute video. As someone that didn't really understand that meme when I watched the video (this is the first I've heard of it), I wouldn't really jump to call him a white supremacist. It's not like the entire point of that video was to say that white people are better. Jesus...

I'd say he put in a really, really, really, really, really, really bad joke. He probably didn't intend to piss off black people. But... I don't really know for sure. That's just my impression. Considering he's never done anything like that before....

Yeah, apparently his videos are supposed to be making some kind of statement about a game's quality. To me they've always just been a compilation of build-upmarketing -> release -> failure. Edited in a way that's slightly humorous. He doesn't always hit the mark with the points he's trying to make... but nonetheless I knew a Lawbreakers video from him was inevitable.

Things are only racist if you really, truly mean it to be racist in your heart. Everyone knows this. /s

Camwi

I mean you're sounding more like a tool so... funny since the picture fits too.

It's obvious they had fun working on it so get over your self. Saying you're glad the game flopped just cause you don't like Cliffy B is being a tool and childish to the other people that even worked with him, but I guess you're "Cool" with them.

Cliffy, go back to working on the failed LawBreakers instead of lurking on GAF. lmao

I watched the video. Is it the thing at the very end? I must be really out of touch with some memes cause I don't know where that stuff is from.

That's kind of the point. It's an obscure meme that you would only really know about if you frequent or are aware of some deep 4ch stuff. That's not a meme you "accidentally" use in your video.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
And though you think it 'really doesn't look like Overwatch' it sure is referred as such by most people.

As I said, people are really lazy and shit when describing games.
That's why "The Dark Souls of" has become a meme now (and was even used by Cliff).
I haven't played LawBreakers but outside of being a heroshooter (Which, as far as I know, wasn't invented by Overwatch) I don't think they have much in common.
It reminds when people described Overwatch as a Team Fortress 2 clone. Just as lazy

Things are only racist if you really, truly mean it to be racist in your heart. Everyone knows this. /s

I was about to write a lengthy post why you are an idiot because I somehow missed the "/s" the first time. Phew.

Yeah, this.

pointing out racism is worse than using racist memes lol

Again, no. The meme itself doesn't require you to be a 4Chan surfer to know about in the same way that I don't need to play Skyrim to know of the 'took an arrow to the knee' meme. There are many ways to be exposed to shit on the internet, surprisingly. Using the meme––you never specify the context so one can only interpret you mean it in a very general manner––does not equal to being a white supremacist that browses /pol on 4Chan and hates liberals.

Gestault

I also didn't get the point showing Titanfall, SW Battlefront and Evolve? What was up with that?

Video title: Lawbreakers in an oversaturated market

Video segment: Sequence illustrating the number of multiplayer-focused first-person shooters

A defining aspect of this genre is its need for an active, sizable community. Since the FPS sub-market isn't in rapid growth, releasing another game of the same style means something very close to a zero sum game, and in the context of the game having a soft launch, it's hard not to connect those dots.

DerpHause

The "joke" is the racism. That's the punchline. It makes no sense otherwise.

And yet to this particular person who is the apparent target of it, it wasn't offensive outside of the context of it's origin. It's effectively a true statement with a stereotypical means of expression outside of context which is in itself innocuous.

It was only the knowledge of the intent of harm that made it harmful, which you wouldn't have without the context of it's origin.

I just find it hard to condemn someone for a slip up that I myself could have made, which would somehow unknowingly be racist against my own race.

I don't think there's room for ambiguity on a meme adopted by white supremacists, in the same way there's no room for ambiguity in other alt-right adopted memes like "pepe the frog"

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
ITT: People who might have found some aspect of a joke funny are called white supremacists by people who have never ever in their life found anything involving stereotypes humorous.

Way to completely shit on this thread.

Slayven

That's kind of the point. It's an obscure meme that you would only really know about if you frequent or are aware of some deep 4ch stuff. That's not a meme you "accidentally" use in your video.

Yeah, it is one of the few you only know because you use it or know dogwhistles.

Again, no. The meme itself doesn't require you to be a 4Chan surfer to know about in the same way that I don't need to play Skyrim to know of the 'took an arrow to the knee' meme. There are many ways to be exposed to shit on the internet, surprisingly. Using the meme––you never specify the context so one can only interpret you mean it in a very general manner––does not equal to being a white supremacist that browses /pol on 4Chan and hates liberals.

If you use a racist meme in your comedy video and play it completely straight then you probably think the racist meme is funny and therefore you're a racist. It's not that hard.

Ehh, I know about that meme and I never been to /pol/. Far more common on twitch then just 4chan.

Twitch is also a racist hellhole bruh. You can't have a monkey in your game without Twitch spamming TriHard in the chat.

I don't think there's room for ambiguity on a meme adopted by white supremacists, in the same way there's no room for ambiguity in other alt-right adopted memes like "pepe the frog"

You do know people appropriate different shit all the time, right? Either for progressive purposes or backward racist purposes?

Slayven

ITT: People who might have found some aspect of a joke funny are called white supremacists by people who have never ever in their life found anything involving stereotypes humorous.

We wuz king is not a joke. What he did was pretty much yell "Niggers" and that was the post line and joke.

You do know people appropriate different shit all the time, right? Either for progressive purposes or backward racist purposes?

How was he "appropriating" it?

I'm not really into mp competitive shooters and was kinda dissapointed that Cliffy's big new project after gears was one. But the footage shown actually looks pretty bonkers.

Perhaps they needed to double down on the whole zero-gravity stuff. Crowb's video really makes it evident that they lacked a "hook" to reel people in (or at least a better one than .just saying it's for the hardcore audience). Then again, maybe they did, since apparently there's a whole bunch of marketing i completely missed even though i followed the game since the announcement out of curiosity.

Also...What's his deal with Xbox?. Not only was i shocked that the game didn't land on it (i just assumed it released on every major platform), but man...those comments he makes, jeez. Was there a fallout or something between them?

Yep, takes a lot of work to cherry pick clips that fit your narrative.

The title of the video is "Lawbreakers in an oversaturated market." The video then provides evidence that it is an oversaturated market, then shows that the game did not sell well. I don't think you need to cherrypick clips to show that these are facts.

The persecution complex for liking racist jokes has arrived.

And it's not even based on a stereotype or clever in any way other than "hurr black people talk funny". Just like dindu nuffin, another horribly racist "joke" from that same horrible board.

DerpHause

That's fair if you can expect that knowledge to be universal and in turn the meme inseparable from it's origin. If that is it's origin and not just the place of popularization.

I think I read something similar in a book at some point, so at what point does that concept become original to /pol/?

Top Bottom