• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat - LawBreakers in an oversaturated market

We wuz king is not a joke. What he did was pretty much yell "Niggers" and that was the post line and joke.

How was he "appropriating" it?

I was responding to his claim that Pepe meme was racist, when it was appropriated by the alt-right then it became anchored on a racist connotation.

You do know people appropriate different shit all the time, right? Either for progressive purposes or backward racist purposes?

Didn't you were talking about avoiding binary generalizations? There's other million memes on internet, that dosn't have those vile political/ideologies connotations and are used to spread those ideals.

Most memes aren't either of those things, they are just memes...

Gator86

As I said, people are really lazy and shit when describing games.
That's why "The Dark Souls of" has become a meme now (and was even used by Cliff).
I haven't played LawBreakers but outside of being a heroshooter (Which, as far as I know, wasn't invented by Overwatch) I don't think they have much in common.
It reminds when people described Overwatch as a Team Fortress 2 clone. Just as lazy

I was about to write a lengthy post why you are an idiot because I somehow missed the "/s" the first time. Phew.

Haha I added that at the last second for that exact reason. It's impossible to tell these days.

That's fair if you can expect that knowledge to be universal and in turn the meme inseparable from it's origin. If that is it's origin and not just the place of popularization.

I think I read something similar in a book at some point, so at what point does that concept become original to /pol/?

In the case of "Pepe the Frog", when even the creator gives up on it.

I mean, is the "we kingz" meme used for anything that is not for racism? I think there's resides the answer.

Sness

Banned
Isn't pessimistic criticism of video games an oversaturated market? I wonder if the genius, CrowbCat, is able to spot all the similarities between R6 and CS?

Really unfortunate that the focus on Lawbreakers seems to be in relation to other games, people hoping it fails, and CliffyB's marketing efforts, instead of the actual gameplay. It might not be the most unique FPS, but it's certainly competent.

Didn't you were talking about avoiding binary generalizations? There's other million memes on internet, that dosn't have those vile political/ideologies connotations and are used to spread those ideals.

Most memes aren't either of those things, they are just memes...

We're talking about a moral issue here that's been painted as binary. I know memes are used for all kinds of different things all the time. A meme often can be a floating signifier onto which people attach meaning through various scenarios. That awkward moment when... can be used for just a social faux pas or for more mendacious reasons.

Budi

Can't we just talk about Lawbreakers and this video? It's already been rightfully established that Crowbcat used a racist meme in earlier video. Don't want this thread to get locked because it's derailing.

You know what isn't racist, Lawbreakers! It has very diverse cast and characters with great hair. (Buy it and prove that you aren't a racist.
/s
) Female characters aren't overly sexualized either. It's what we've been asking for, now put your money where your mouth is.

We're talking about a moral issue here that's been painted as binary. I know memes are used for all kinds of different things all the time. A meme often can be a floating signifier onto which people attach meaning through various scenarios. That awkward moment when... can be used for just a social faux pas or for more mendacious reasons.

Not in this case, when it have a clear connonatation and common use, you can't ignore that use and try to give it another. You can't use "Pepe the frog" meme and claim you use ir for the "lulz" because you should know that's not what's used for, and that's not the meaning people get from that meme anymore. It has a very clear and established idea behind it now, and you can't change that on a whim.

DerpHause

I mean, is the "we kingz" meme used for anything that is not for racism? I think there's resides the answer.

I don't know, the only reason I know if it's apparently racist in origin was the last crowbcat thread. I only know of it what those who are instantly condemning know of it and taking them at their word.

Don't want this thread to get locked because it's derailing.

Mission accomplished, for some people. They clearly don't want this guy's videos on the forum so yeah... getting the thread locked would be a win.

It's also one of the most active threads regarding Lawbreakers outside of the OT, but because of the video's author, the (potentially interesting) discussion is doomed.

M.J. Doja

Banned
ITT: People who might have found some aspect of a joke funny are called white supremacists by people who have never ever in their life found anything involving stereotypes humorous.

Way to completely shit on this thread.

Those poor, abused racists.

Any Tl;dr of this video to save a click?

I can't believe NeoGAF has branded CrowBCat as racist. Fucking LOL.

Guy just makes kind of funny montage videos.

Maybe you want to be branded as a supporter of a racist! Hmm???

DerpHause

Mission accomplished, for some people. They clearly don't want this guy's videos on the forum so yeah... getting the thread locked would be a win.

It's also one of the most active threads regarding Lawbreakers outside of the OT, but because of the video's author, the (potentially interesting) discussion is doomed.

This is still sort of interesting in a way... isn't it?

No?

ok.

I'll drop the whole argument about CrowbCat persona, to help get the thread back on track.

Lawbreakers... Would have given it a shot if there was an Xbox port., but R6S and Overwatch are enough anyway. Don't feel like I'm missing out too much.

I never give the game a shot because, the whole visual and character design, is straight up dull to me. All the characters are very forgotable and their whole aesthetics are terrible to me.

idk why it's so hard for him to do that without throwing in some racist /pol/ dogwhistle memes. I used to like his videos a bit, but I'm not watching him after that.

It's like if he put in audio of someone saying "dindu nuffin" over footage of the next GTA. I'm not fucking with you after that.

Budi

pretty meh video. Really just a montage of cliffyb putting his foot in his mouth.
I don't think he said anything too outrageous really. It's just that....
1326934140959_1583350.png

I never give the game a shot because, the whole visual and character design, is straight up dull to me. All the characters are very forgotable and their whole aesthetics are terrible to me.
Honestly, is this really important for a multiplayer shooter? CS:GO and R6 don't have "dull" visual design on their characters?

Ignoring his racism, what interesting discussion can be gleamed from the video exactly?

poodaddy

Video just made me sad. I'm not into shooters but it seems like it's a good game for that genre that was kinda doomed by market circumstances. I hope Cliffy B keeps creating and bounces back, I know it's popular to hate the guy but I like him.

BajiBoxer

Banned

To continue the meme discussion...

He lifted a racist audio clip from a racist video and used it over a clip of a black character in a game about Egypt. The original racist context of the meme was concerning black people and Egypt. How is that not racist?

the_big_country

Neo Member
CSGO and PUBG are challenging at a high level, the difference is Lawbreakers has a high aim and movement requirement even when just starting out. If you didn't play lots of shooters back in the UT/q3/tribes days then the amount of vertical aiming you have to do is going to be more than you are used to. The high TTK means you are tracking enemies for long periods of time on axis that you haven't been trained for.

That is the main difference here. I expect Quake to not be a hit on Steam charts either as the market for these types of shooters just isn't there anymore, but it won't be as bad because it has some name brand recognition.
Yeah, the skill floor is just too high for LawBreakers to gain traction outside of a tiny, devoted fanbase. There's the aim/movement requirements you've mentioned, and the fact that there really isn't much new players can to do fight back.

sjay1994

Yep, takes a lot of work to cherry pick clips that fit your narrative.

Sometimes I wonder where this kind of negativity towards these kinds of videos (not just crowbcat, but similar youtubers like Dunkey) was before he made a "Kangz" joke.

These youtubers make incredibly skewed and biased videos in order to fit an agenda for the sake of comedy. I have no stake in Lawbreakers, I though the game simply looked uninteresting, but crowbcat's shtick was never objective and should always be taken with a grain of salt.

But gaffers seemed to eat his videos up because they fit their narrative as well.

Crowb startying to buy into his own hype with a vid that could have easily been 3 minutes long, instead of 9 minutes of buildup for 30 seconds of payoff.

Some points are stretched too thinly, like cliffy's hammering on the price point or the samey nature of AAA franchises. I sometimes felt like Crowb used the same game footage 6-7 times in the span of minutes and that got pretty irritating. That's not on Cliffy, that's on Crowb's self-indulgent editing.

Focus on the difficulty of launching into a market that has been saturated for over a decade now. Focus on the steep post-drop launch activity, keep the joke about the little kid winning. I got amusement out of that. But this is at least the third 'hype > flop' video (Evolve, Battleborn) Crowb has made for a team-based shooting game. This video is longer than the previous two combined. That's arrogance.

At least he's not resorting to racist 4chan memes anymore? Maybe?

Ignoring his racism, what interesting discussion can be gleamed from the video exactly?

Whether or not the video really did fail as a result of market oversaturation? Whether or not the game's quality should be enough to overcome that? Is it a fair price point or should it have been free to play? Would people play it anyways if it were free to play? Did the video just fail because CliffyB is an ass and terrible at marketing his games?

I don't know... lots I guess. Or maybe it's all been discussed before, I dunno. I just know that 50% of the discussion is about a completely different video and those people that don't like him probably could just.... not enter the thread and shit all over it. *shrug*

It is crazy that this wasnt on the Xbox. And I havent seen too many videos of him but Cliffy is absolutely obnoxious.

I wonder if this would have worked better with a delay of a few months. Catch people getting bored of OW.

Budi

Yeah, the skill floor is just too high for LawBreakers to gain traction outside of a tiny, devoted fanbase. There's the aim/movement requirements you've mentioned, and the fact that there really isn't much new players can to do fight back.
I've been saying this in every LB related thread I think. I'm not new to the game I played 10 hours in the beta and been playing for 50 hours or so after launch. But I'm definitely not good at the game, or shooters overall. Haven't really played competitive shooters for over a decade. And I still can occasionally snatch MVP award. There are times I get absolutely eviscerated too, but I think that can happen with any game. Doesn't prevent me from having fun. Just playing the objective gets awarded too and is still important. And learning is very satisfying in itself.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Sometimes I wonder where this kind of negativity towards these kinds of videos (not just crowbcat, but similar youtubers like Dunkey) was before he made a "Kangz" joke.

These youtubers make incredibly skewed and biased videos in order to fit an agenda for the sake of comedy. I have no state in Lawbreakers, I though the game simply looked uninteresting, but crowbcat's shtick was never objective.

But gaffers seemed to eat his videos up because they fit their narrative as well.

I recall a lot of negativity from previous threads over this kind of thing. The racism in that E3 video probably left him with less fans here though.

These youtubers make incredibly skewed and biased videos in order to fit an agenda for the sake of comedy. I have no stake in Lawbreakers, I though the game simply looked uninteresting, but crowbcat's shtick was never objective and should always be taken with a grain of salt.

I do remember Jeff Gerstmann saying he was annoyed about the CrowbCat video that was a compilation of the first VRodeo saying it misrepresented what they were trying to say.

Honestly, is this really important for a multiplayer shooter? CS:GO and R6 don't have "dull" visual design on their characters?

Is not really important, but it's important to catch my eye these days when a new multiplayer-only shooter gets into the market.

CS:GO and R6 just came way before this game and maybe they didn't need an engaging look. Also these games has a more grounded look, so I guess is fine in those cases.

Maybe you want to be branded as a supporter of a racist! Hmm???

Are you threatening him because he finds weird to have CC labeled as racist? What about everybody forms their opinion about that poster without recurring to that "Maybe we will brand you as XXXX"?

The people whining about OTHER video should comment on that thread instead of derailing a CliffyBZeroG thread.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Crackers?
That's clearly a toast

CSJ

CliffyB can't not come off like a massive tool every time he speaks.

His hubris is off the charts, he needs to be humbled.
Also has a massive ego, actually thinks he knows better and keeps making mistakes and talks a lot of shit he can't follow through with or backup.

He's one of those people you can read in one interview and see it in every aspect of his public life, no fucking shame at all. I wish he'd chill and not shit on everything that isn't his product for once.
Also when is he going to understand that the players decide if it's popular, not his own idea of it?

Also I'm laughing at how probably half of the people left playing this game are probably in this video.

Yep, takes a lot of work to cherry pick clips that fit your narrative.

CliffyB has been doing this his entire life, it's not cherry picking anything.
The people have spoken, the entire fucking planet at your fingertips and you're getting around 800 peak?

M.J. Doja

Banned
Are you threatening him because he finds weird to have CC labeled as racist? What about everybody forms their opinion about that poster without recurring to that "Maybe we will brand you as XXXX"?

The people whining about OTHER video should comment on that thread instead of derailing a CliffyBZeroG thread.

I was just being absurd... Definitely joking, I wouldn't label people as racist, labels suck. Sorry for the derail.

If you're gonna leave a snide comment about racism, why are you bothering with this thread, or crowbcat at all?

Was this meant to try and get me interested in the game because that's what the video achieved. I'm used to crowbcat showing how bad a game is not how fun it looks haha.

Wasn't the point of the vid. The actual game isn't terrible, it's to show the game was destined to fail due to the oversaturation of team-based shooters.

Budi

Is not really important, but it's important to catch my eye these days when a new multiplayer-only shooter gets into the market.

CS:GO and R6 just came way before this game and maybe they didn't need an engaging look. Also these games has a more grounded look, so I guess is fine in those cases.
Sure, but the game has "catched your eye" so to speak, or atleast your attention. You are well aware of it. You are aware of the compliments the game has got from players and critics both. And you know the game succeeds in things that can make shooter like this great. And this game also has bit more grounded look, sure it's sci-fi but the style is still "realistic." Ofcourse it comes down to personal preference if one likes cartoony look more, but it's another thing that shows the game isn't trying to imitate Overwatch but doing it's "own" thing.

Top Bottom