• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat - LawBreakers in an oversaturated market

border

Crowb startying to buy into his own hype with a vid that could have easily been 3 minutes long, instead of 9 minutes of buildup for 30 seconds of payoff.

This video is longer than the previous two combined. That's arrogance.

I didn't realize cringe compilations were such serious business. When someone says as much dumb shit as Ciffy it's probably going to end up padding video length.

BajiBoxer

Banned
His hubris is off the charts, he needs to be humbled.
Also has a massive ego, actually thinks he knows better and keeps making mistakes and talks a lot of shit he can't follow through with or backup.

He's one of those people you can read in one interview and see it in every aspect of his public life, no fucking shame at all. I wish he'd chill and not shit on everything that isn't his product for once.
Also when is he going to understand that the players decide if it's popular, not his own idea of it?

Also I'm laughing at how probably half of the people left playing this game are probably in this video.

Yeah. I don't know what he's like in private, but his public persona is pretty douchey. Sometimes it's like he's still stuck in the era that gave us "John Romero will make you his bitch".

The game itself I still haven't made my mind up on. Need to watch more of it as I'm not entirely sure what this thing is. I actually like the look outside of the characters.

I don't get this video. They delivered a game that was a bit close to others, and the game tanked. People worked on this and poured some hard work and heart into it. There's no point dissing a perfectly fine game for selling badly. I don't see any real controversies in what Cliffy or the others are saying either.

I didn't realize cringe compilations were such serious business. When someone says as much dumb shit as Ciffy it's probably going to end up padding video length.

Given the selected title of the video versus the runtime actually spent highlighting the failure of selling the game in a very crowded market, it's fair to think the focus on Cliffy's gaffes about PC gaming or kid-friendly designs becomes overwrought.

Everyone who is trying to sell you something sounds like an asshole, especially when you string together every pitch into a 10 minute video. I don't put Cliffy's on-message parroting down to a personal failure on his part. I do put the stringing together down to cynical laziness on Crowb's part. The last time I saw a channel lengthen their videos by more than double on youtube it was done entirely for monetization reasons (CinemaSins) and the overall quality felt extremely diluted from already middling peaks.

We were just watching a diluted cringe compilation. It's too much of a meh thing.

Budi

I don't get this video. They delivered a game that was a bit close to others, and the game tanked. People worked on this and poured some hard work and heart into it. There's no point dissing a perfectly fine game for selling badly. I don't see any real controversies in what Cliffy or the others are saying either.
Yeah, I'd appreciate if someone explained this to me. What's wrong in what he is saying?

I'll take one example from the video, the Keighley bit. He says that Xbox fanboys are being salty. Yeah, he probably got decent amount of abuse in Twitter since his new game isn't on the platform. We know how "gamers" can be. It's not just women and minorities they are being nasty to. But what he also explains (edited out from the video ofc) that they made a business decision. PS4 has better install base than Xbox One. They are a small studio, they had to choose. But would be open to other platforms too. Sadly there doesn't seem to be much demand at the moment.

RooMHM

Game doesn't look bad except the marketing is pathetic. Fastest shooter ever. Yeah whatever.
Everybody knew Cliff has always been full of PR shit.

Video isn't even against him. It's just sad for videogames. This type of skill based games with difficulty just isn't possibly successful anymore.

You are because LawBreakers doesn't play anything like those games. Game is alot of fun.

I never said they played the same. Overwatch and R6S don't either. My point is I already have access to two great shooters on my mp platform of choice. Lawbreakers made it really easy for me to pass on.

Mooreberg

Evolve and Battleborn got the same treatment with videos like this. It mostly highlights how out of touch pre-launch PR speak is with what people are actually spending money on these days.

I still would not lump LB in with those two because it is not a full priced game and the content side of things is in line with the number of classes and maps people want out of a game like this. The problem is that it just really has no game to pull players from. CSGO and PUBG are a universe apart from this in terms of setting, movement, and gunplay. People keep saying that having any superficial similarity to Overwatch (even with different gameplay) is auto death, but Paladins has a super healthy player base. It just a combo of timing, what is currently popular, and price vs. F2P. Some games hit and find an audience, some do not.

Maybe earlier in the year it would have a little more room to build up the concurrent player numbers. Destiny 2 being around the corner is going to be very bad for this game.

Peroroncino

Game doesn't look bad except the marketing is pathetic. Fastest shooter ever. Yeah whatever.
Everybody knew Cliff has always been full of PR shit.

Video isn't even against him. It's just sad for videogames. This type of skill based games with difficulty just isn't possibly successful anymore.

It even rhymes hehe.

The game had no presence online, but it had a strong presence at various expos, that's their mistake I think, banking almost everything on a positive word of mouth from people who played it druing some events, however it's peanuts compared to how many people on the web would've been exposed to the game with a more robust marketing campaign focused around them.

I feel like people are misunderstanding the video, even though the title literally says Lawbreakers is in an over-saturated market

Like, Lawbreakers on PC alone has to somehow squeeze into a niche somewhere between bigger mainstream games like Rainbow 6, Battlegrounds, Overwatch, Battlefield and CS:GO, and then relatively smaller games underneath that still maintain a stable niche audience like Quake, Unreal Tournament, Titanfall, Red Orchestra/Rising Storm. On consoles its still competing with not only BF1 and OW, but COD as well, with Star Wars Battlefront 2 and COD:WW2 out this Fall.

Hell, fucking Quake Champions is out today on Steam Early Access and that potentially directly eats into Lawbreakers audience/playerbase. This game is being thrown to the wolves.

Taking a glance at the Lawbreakers sub-reddit, it looks like Crowbat's video is actually garnering some interest towards the game. The video itself was more about the marketing lead up and lackluster release performance, rather than the gameplay. In fact, I don't think there was anything negative about the gameplay itself in the video outside from the dumb "Dark Souls of shooters" comment from Cliffy

EDIT: Oh and BF1 has an expo out next month, OW has another content update with a new map coming, and Rainbow Six has their next batch of operators and a map out in 2 weeks as well (delayed thrice lolubisoft). Like, Lawbreakers pls lol

DyZ

Unfortunately most people aren't going to try this game until it inevitably goes F2P.

I mean it's going to be F2P.

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
I usually like CrowbCat videos but to be honest I'm not sure what to think of this one. I haven't played LawBrakers or followed the game at all and for someone who doesn't play Overwatch that video actually poked my interest for this game. A mix of UT & Overwatch sounds actually great lol

border

Given the selected title of the video versus the runtime actually spent highlighting the failure of selling the game in a very crowded market, it's fair to think the focus on Cliffy's gaffes about PC gaming or kid-friendly designs becomes overwrought.

When you're trying to sell in an oversaturated market, it's probably best not to alienate large swaths of your audience with gaffes about the children or anime dorks that are supposedly playing the competition. When "SKILLED AF" *cringe* is your motto, you're essentially telling novice and intermediate players that your game is not for them.

The video title is meant to be ironic. The video itself chronicles a silly clusterfuck of a marketing campaign that crescendo'ed with the game utterly flopping. People shrugged and blamed the problems on a crowded marketplace rather than acknowledging all the dumb bullshit that came before. There was room for Lawbreakers; people simply didn't want it.

Budi

I feel like people are misunderstanding the video, even though the title literally says Lawbreakers is in an over-saturated market

Like, Lawbreakers on PC alone has to somehow squeeze into a niche somewhere between bigger mainstream games like Rainbow 6, Battlegrounds, Overwatch, Battlefield and CS:GO, and then relatively smaller games underneath that still maintain a stable niche audience like Quake, Unreal Tournament, Titanfall, Red Orchestra/Rising Storm. On consoles its still competing with not only BF1 and OW, but COD as well, with Star Wars Battlefront 2 and COD:WW2 out this Fall.

Hell, fucking Quake Champions is out today on Steam Early Access and that potentially directly eats into Lawbreakers audience/playerbase. This game is being thrown to the wolves.
Well yeah, it's the Big Bang Theory of Youtube videos. People just want to point at the screen and laugh, even when nothing funny is happening.
When you're trying to sell in an oversaturated market, it's probably best not to alienate large swaths of your audience with gaffes about the children or anime dorks that are supposedly playing the competition. When "SKILLED AF" *cringe* is your motto, you're essentially telling novice and intermediate players that your game is not for them.

The video title is meant to be ironic. The video itself chronicles a silly clusterfuck of a marketing campaign that rescendo'ed with the game utterly flopping. People shrugged and blamed the problems on a crowded marketplace rather than acknowledging all the dumb bullshit that came before. There was room for Lawbreakers; people simply didn't want it.
Where does this anime "dork" come from? Is this how you feel about people who enjoy anime? And it's true that Overwatch and Paladins for example are way more family friendly than Lawbreakers is with it's blood and cussing. These can be disabled from the options though!

Leunam

Wow is this really not on Xbox? I saw it on the PSN store and just assumed it would be on Xbox as well, genuinely surprised.

Mooreberg

Yeah and Quake Champions has a free version on Bethesda's launcher for people to see if they can get into a type of shooter they may have not played in ages. It is like the Nexon partnership made sense when this was originally F2P and then stopped making any sense whatsoever once it became $30 game that needed marketing and better timed beta weekends than July 4th.

I would not be surprised if this turns "F2P lite" where a free version has rotating classes available and an upgrade path to owning the game for $20 - $30. The stash stuff is cosmetic so they could reasonably avoid any other transactions being beneficial from a competitive or progression standpoint.

border

Well yeah, it's the Big Bang Theory of Youtube videos. People just want to point at the screen and laugh, even when nothing funny is happening.
Where does this anime "dork" come from?!

"Dork" is kind of implicit in the way Cliffy dismisses Overwatch as a game for people who watch anime. I love how they immediately cut to a bunch of Lawbreakers players who look like they would watch the shit out of some Naruto.

I like Cliffy

Too bad about Lawbreakers. Unfortunately this isn't a Gears of War scenario where you can say GeoW inspired alot of cover shooters :l

Maedhros

I just watch Crowbcat videos because they're funny.

You're now a white supremacist, sorry.

BTW, I'm not saying that I agree with this particular joke, it was a bad joke no matter what anyone says. But trying to define his entire political views/personality based on it is the type of thing I expect to see on these forums... really exagerated.

BTW, I'm not saying that I agree with this particular joke, it was a bad joke no matter what anyone says. But trying to define his entire political views/personality based on it is the type of thing I expect to see on these forums... really exagerated.

Nice strawman argument.

Budi

"Dork" is kind of implicit in the way Cliffy dismisses Overwatch as a game for people who watch anime. I love how they immediately cut to a bunch of Lawbreakers players who look like they would watch the shit out of some Naruto.
How is he dismissing them? He is adressing the differences in art style. And I mean he isn't even wrong http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1219909 Overwatch clearly does appeal to many anime fans. He isn't saying "none of that anime bullshit".

Bolding things to juxtapose you expressing apparent disdain for a thing while actively participating in the same discussion-killing behavior.

Lead by example is the only advice I can offer.

Foffy

Banned
Man, this is hard to watch and it's just Cliffy's quotes that do it in. Not even five minutes in and I wouldn't even play it for free because of his attitude.

I don't really understand this forum sometimes when it comes to putting down the hard work of others. Did the game bomb? Yes. Does Clifft B say dumb shit? Yes. Leave it at that and just move on. If you don't agree with the game or what he says, don't buy it (clearly no one has). I just can't get behind dog piling on people's hard work. I'm sure for some of the devs who worked on this game, seeing this video really hurts them. I know it would hurt me if I worked on the game. Try to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

There are better way to show your distaste in things.

I don't really understand this forum sometimes when it comes to putting down the hard work of others. Did the game bomb? Yes. Does Clifft B say dumb shit? Yes. Leave it at that and just move on. If you don't agree with the game or what he says, don't buy it (clearly no one has). I just can't get behind dog piling on people's hard work. I'm sure for some of the devs who worked on this game, seeing this video really hurts them. I know it would hurt me if I worked on the game. Try to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

There are better way to show your distaste in things.

Yeah but that's not funny though

MastAndo

A single, insensitive joke in poor taste doesn't necessarily mean a person is coming from a hateful place, which I would say is a necessary condition to be accurately labeled as a racist or white supremacist. I just can't help but think we've been a little too quick with the white supremacist/Nazi labels.

As for the game, I'm not sure I understand the fixation on its difficulty. I think that's giving newcomers the wrong idea, like they'll need to spend hours upon hours learning the game before they stand a chance...sure, that will make you better, but the real difficulty of it all is how completely reliant it is on fast-twitch reflexes. If you're just not one who has ever been able to zip around and show accuracy on a controller or keyboard/mouse, well you're going to have your work cut out for you. If you usually do well at fast FPS games, I don't think the game is going to present any new challenges to you.

I'm middle of the pack in these kind of games usually, and the same thing goes with Lawbreakers. It's a lot of fun though.

Top Bottom