• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crusader Kings 2 |OT| Strategy/RPG hybrid goodness

Clevinger

Platforms: PC
Developer/Publisher: Paradox Interactive
Release Date: February 14th

What is Crusader Kings? Crusader Kings 2 is a PC strategy/RPG hybrid where you play as a family in Medieval Europe for up to 400 years. You can start out as any Count, Baron, Duchess, King, Queen, or Emperor in Europe at any time period and follow their families for hundreds of years. Each family member, and each character in the game (basically, all of Europe and even Muslim states), has their own stats and personality traits which affect how good they do things and how much their family and vassals like them and how various in game events play out. They all have their own personal goals and desires and rivals. This game is huge, and I'm struggling to come up with a good way of describing it, so I'll just quote the website:

Start a game in 1066 and forge 400 years of European history
Take on the role of a Christian noble and carry them through the ages from Count to Emperor via the line of succession
Gather Prestige for every successive character you play, furthering the glory of your dynasty
Expand your feudal domain at the expense of your rivals
Unravel the plots of your courtiers and vassals, each armed with their own agendas
Re-enact the Crusades, defend against the Mongol onslaught, and form feudal nation-states
Struggle with the Pope for control of the bishops
Relive the Middle Ages with up to 32 other players in a competitive multiplayer mode

But that doesn't really do it justice. There's a demo here.

System Requirements:
Windows XP/Vista/7, Intel® Pentium® IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+, 2 GB RAM,
2 GB free hard drive space, NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900 video
card, Direct X-compatible sound card, DirectX 9, 3-button mouse,
keyboard, speakers, Internet connection for multiplayer
MULTIPLAYER UP TO 32 PLAYERS

Price: $39.99
Where to buy:
Steam
Gamersgate
Impulse

Lastly, if anyone was working on an OT that looks better or is more informative than this, feel free to PM me and I can replace this with it.

Hari Seldon

Any tips for someone new to the series? I pre-ordered it thinking I could try CK1 and when I loaded it up it looked so old and shitty that I didn't bother lol.

Clevinger

Any tips for someone new to the series? I pre-ordered it thinking I could try CK1 and when I loaded it up it looked so old and shitty that I didn't bother lol.

*When you betroth your sons to someone and then they come of age, watch out for the wording when the other family comes to offer the marriage. Make sure it doesn't say matrilineal, which means that all of that man's sons will go to the other family's dynasty.
*Keep as many land holdings as you can up to your limit. When your sons come asking for land, tell them they're not ready until or unless you're over your limit, then you can give your heir something. You give towns to nobles in your court and bishoprics to your bishops.
*After you hire mercenaries, if you run out of money they'll join your enemy. Very, very bad. So dismiss them before you run out of money.
*Change your succession laws as soon as you can if you start with Gavelkind. Gavelkind is very bad, as it splits up all your land between your children. Primogeniture will give all your land to your oldest child, and also try to change the male/female laws (make it so female children can't inherit unless there's no male heir).
*Assassinations are risky, risky business. They're unlikely to succeed, and if you get caught your enemy WILL TRY TO ASSASSINATE YOU or your children.

Those are a few that would have helped me when I started.

Clevinger

Hopefully the Mongols are fun to play I want to spread my DNA all across europe.

I'm not sure if you can officially play as them, but there's a way around that (and the same goes for Muslim characters). Pick some count or king that you can play as in the title menu, then scroll over to the character you want to play as but don't click on anything yet. Right after you click "play," click on the character's land and then you'll start as whoever that is. You have to do it fast though.

Hari Seldon

Well the first military tutorial is borked to hell. Fucking paradox and their god damn shitty ass testing. Once you go to move the fleet you can't fucking unpause the god damn game. So frustrating.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is it all the trees or what that make the central/top part of the map chug like hell while looking at the bottom it runs smooth?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fuuuck. I'm still knee-deep in Amalur... Oh well, something to look forward to!

Hari Seldon

Yeah aside from the one tutorial issue this game seems super awesome so far. I was watching a Let's Play on France that a guy did in beta and I was pretty amazed at all the stuff you can do. I am playing my first game as the King of Scotland because that is what the tutorials did. I lost 1 province to the stupid English already because my Vasal didn't have an heir and I didn't know what to do about it, so when he died it went to England. I doubt I can fight to get it back so I guess I'm going to concentrate on getting the random "Isle' provinces so I can have more than 1 personal province.

Jhriad

There's no DNA in CK2.

Yes there is. Just pop open a save and check out the character entries.

dna="cjaoaikgncd"

That's the dna from a character/dynasty I created for a friend. From your wording I'm guessing you meant stats passing to children though.

On another note I don't really care for how hard it is to see, just from glancing at the map, if one province has a different ruler than another within the same Kingdom. A lot of the different map modes are either useless or don't give you enough information to go on.

Clevinger

On another note I don't really care for how hard it is to see, just from glancing at the map, if one province has a different ruler than another within the same Kingdom. A lot of the different map modes are either useless or don't give you enough information to go on.

Use the "Direct Vassals" map mode. It will show all the land split up among the different dukes and kings. Unfortunately it doesn't have the dynasty name, just the main duchy name that ruler has I believe, but it's not hard to figure out which color belongs to who after a little while.

If you mean the land they personally own, not including vassals, yeah, I don't think there's a map mode for that.

Jhriad

Use the "Direct Vassals" map mode. It will show all the land split up among the different dukes and kings. Unfortunately it doesn't have the dynasty name, just the main duchy name that ruler has I believe, but it's not hard to figure out which color belongs to who after a little while.

If you mean the land they personally own, not including vassals, yeah, I don't think there's a map mode for that.

That's the map mode I'm in almost exclusively but it doesn't delineate between things as well as I would like.

ck2mm2.png

Saintois (which I have selected in this shot) & Lorraine are under the direct rule of the same duke but they're the same color as numerous other surrounding provinces. Give me some way to see, with a simple glance, a difference between Dukes & their vassals. The color variations should be within the borders of a single Duchy & it's vassals. So in the picture above Saintois and Lorraine would be a slightly different shade than the vassals. To ensure there isn't any confusion about one duchy or another make sure the borders are clearly marked (which is already present).

It's also a little obtuse when showing you what you control on a sub-province level. As the Duke of Brandenburg (1066) you have the Baron of Stade title. Stade is one of the 'plots' or whatever they're called in the province of Bremen. So the only way to see that is to go to the Diplomacy screen or to click directly on Bremen.

Clevinger

I'm playing as a count in Leon (well, after 100+ years I'm now a kickass Duke who owns a third of Spain and half of Portugal) and all the women in my family are fucking crazy. Half of my rulers have been murdered at a young age, and probably every other of my males' wives have a desire to kill some male in the family. It's hilarious and frightening.

Don't fuck with Ansúrez women.

Dina

I agree with the visibility, it is sometimes hard to find out what belongs to what Duchy and what doesn't, especially if you are the king and try to reign in other nobles. That said, after two botches games with William the Conqueror and Apulia I decided to try my hand at Scotland. I whoreheartedly recommend starting as that nation, as it gives a strong powerbase and a weak enough duke near you to take out, after that it's on to Ireland and Wales. I wrote a little story about it (in dutch), which can be found here.

schotlandheel.jpg

I also recommend watching this Let's Play all the way through. It will take you 1 hour and 20 minutes. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZJ6tKUt7iI

Anyone have recommendations on this vs. the new Vichy 2 expansion? I haven't played the first Crusader Kings game, but am a huge EU3 fan (although I never bought Sengoku).

I enjoy Victoria, but am not as into it as EU if that helps for recommendation background.

Also, is there trading in CK2? Doubtful due to the time period, but who knows...

Hari Seldon

Anyone have recommendations on this vs. the new Vichy 2 expansion? I haven't played the first Crusader Kings game, but am a huge EU3 fan (although I never bought Sengoku).

I enjoy Victoria, but am not as into it as EU if that helps for recommendation background.

Also, is there trading in CK2? Doubtful due to the time period, but who knows...

This is more like EU than Vicky. However unlike EU it is less about conquering the world and more about your personal dynasty. I really dig what I have seen so far. I think I'm going to end up liking this game more than EU. No trading that I have seen so far, there doesn't seem to be any economic stuff at all.

Hari Seldon

After spending more time with this game last night, holy crap I am getting really addicted. This is quickly becoming my favorite paradox game of all time.

Kade

Steam tells you when you click to download it, before committing to it. Something less than 800MB iirc.

I'd check Steam but it's inaccessible at school. Looks like the game won't make much of a dent to my monthly bandwidth allowance.

Clevinger

I was playing the king of France yesterday and everything was going good for a while until some of my heirs died of the plague. My only heir and then subsequent ruler was, get this, a homosexual, heretic dwarf. After he became king he was quickly excommunicated, he never produced an heir, and then all my vassals revolted and split up France, eventually uniting behind some asshole. My gay dwarf character didn't lose everything; he hung on to one piece of land... until he died and my dynasty died with him.

Holy shit.

zoku88

Man, gavelkind really screwed me up as the Duke of Silesia, Greater Poland and some other titles . I owned a third of Poland and could trump the King of Poland in a war, and declared myself independent.

Then I died and my lands were split up :-(

And the new Queen of Poland decided to get her revenge

I somewhat regret forcing the previous King to make Poland into an elective monarchy...

Hari Seldon

I was playing the king of France yesterday and everything was going good for a while until some of my heirs died of the plague. My only heir and then subsequent ruler was, get this, a homosexual, heretic dwarf. After he became king he was quickly excommunicated, he never produced an heir, and then all my vassals revolted and split up France, eventually uniting behind some asshole. My gay dwarf character didn't lose everything; he hung on to one piece of land... until he died and my dynasty died with him.

Holy shit.

Yeah I'm thinking that choosing a wife with a huge fertility bonus is pretty much essential. My fat wife from Norway is popping out kids left and right, I don't have enough land to give them all shit.

Clevinger

My main game in Spain is going swimmingly. I started as the weak Count of Valladolid, with Spain split between the kingdoms of Leon (my liege), Galicia, Navarre, and Aragon. These four dumb ass kingdoms were too busy fighting each other and the Duke of Castila was too busy revolting against my liege to bother with the whole southern part of Spain being owned by different Muslim kings.

To make a long story short, due to luck and my strategic genius (mostly luck), we managed to push the Muslims back into North Africa, I stole enough land from vassals and the King of Aragon that I became the Duke of Aragon. From there I slowly ate away lands of the weakest vassals in the kingdom until I became about as powerful as the King of Leon. I plotted against my liege with the help of some ambitious and powerful duke and succeeded in usurping the Kingdom from my king. Now I'm the King of Leon, Castille, Aragon, Galicia, Navarre and Portugal. Spain (plus Portugal) is completely united under my rule, and I still have like 200 years left in the game.

Feels good man.

I have a feeling I'm going to somehow lose it all spectacularly.

Dennis

Banned
Looking forward to sinking my teeth into this behemoth of a game but I have gotten sidetracked by Alan Wake.

Love the map, giant step forward from EUIII.

I remember a game in CK I had going as the Duke of Moray (who is the grandson of the historical Mac Beth, for those interested in history). While I was weaseling my way into the good graces of the counts of Scotland and taking land in Ireland, I married a lass from Byzantine and had a large number of kids. Not wanting my current heir (who was the son of the dukes sister) I changed the succession laws to favor my own kids. Good thing too, as Angus (my former heir) went a little crazy, killed his own infant child on orders from the voices in his head, and caught leprosy before falling catatonic. Meanwhile my own child became good friends with the king of England (who helped out when he later followed up on his fathers plan to overthrow the king of Scotland). Ended up with much of Wales, Ireland, the Isles, Scotland, Greenland, and surrounding under his banner as King of Scotland and Ireland, Duke of Moray.

zoku88

Man, family members a such dicks.

I just lost the entire Kingdom of Poland to my uncle (the King of Bohemia).

Who takes a kingdom from a child? >_<

Clevinger

Man, family members a such dicks.

I just lost the entire Kingdom of Poland to my uncle (the King of Bohemia).

Who takes a kingdom from a child? >_<

Me. :p

I accidentally gave away an important duchy title to my brother and I ended up murdering his entire family to inherit it back.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Does anyone have a decent, simple guide/tutorial for learning to play this?

I have struggled with GS games for a while - I SORT OF know what I'm doing, and I can SORT OF get things done, but I tend to get lost, and end up scrabbling around trying to work out what's going on, before throwing my hands up.

I can see that CK2 is an amazing game, and I really want to get the most out of it - but the in-game tutorials are kind of crap.

Clevinger

Does anyone have a decent, simple guide/tutorial for learning to play this?

I have struggled with GS games for a while - I SORT OF know what I'm doing, and I can SORT OF get things done, but I tend to get lost, and end up scrabbling around trying to work out what's going on, before throwing my hands up.

I can see that CK2 is an amazing game, and I really want to get the most out of it - but the in-game tutorials are kind of crap.

Here are some fan tutorial vids:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Watching some LPs would help, maybe. That's all I did before I played CK2 and it ended up feeling fairly accessible to me. And I'm not really much of a strategy gamer either.

GhaleonQ

My comparison will be Demon's Souls. Paradox, like From, is known for making creative, hardcore, austere games with considerable jankiness. Their breakthrough game is more accessible, yes, but isn't successful just because it's accessible. It's just well-planned.

(I DO wish religion mattered more, for a number of reasons.)

Let's hope this gets the appropriate sales.

zoku88

That would be the Roman Republic...

Hmm, I'm not sure Imperial Rome would be that interesting.

Most of what seemed to be going on was internal strife.

Pax Romana and all.

Me. :p

I accidentally gave away an important duchy title to my brother and I ended up murdering his entire family to inherit it back.
You must have good intrigue to get away with that (if by murdered, you mean selecting the assassinate option.)

I tried to kill every son who wasn't first born once. (or twice, or three times.)

So much negative opinion from that :(

My comparison will be Demon's Souls. Paradox, like From, is known for making creative, hardcore, austere games with considerable jankiness. Their breakthrough game is more accessible, yes, but isn't successful just because it's accessible. It's just well-planned.

(I DO wish religion mattered more, for a number of reasons.)

Let's hope this gets the appropriate sales.
I think this is one of Paradox's less janky releases.

I mean, I've only had like one or two crashes, and I'm playing it in Wine (linux)

Is there any game like this that covers the Bronze Age? I would love to play as Hatti or Egypt with these mechanics.
I would think the farther back in time you get, the less likely you'll get a character focused game on it. Basically, due to lack of information how the workings of society and the diplomacy worked back then.

ZZMitch

I had no idea this was coming out. I got into Paradox games with EU3 but haven't really tried any of the other ones besides HoI3 (haven't really played it yet though).I will probably pick this up some time soon. EU3 seems like it has a reputation as the easiest/most accessible to play though, so I am a little scared of venturing into Paradox's other games until I have a full handle on EU3 heh.

Jhriad

Here are some fan tutorial vids:

Part 1

Since it seems like some fellow gaffers are using these videos I figured I'd give them a once over to work out any corrections that I could find.

At around 9:00 he's looking for a potential wife and remarks that her lustful trait will affect your piety and points out the piety in the top right. This is incorrect. Character traits generally only affect the character they're on. So in order for a prestige or piety trait to affect those stats in the upper right it would have to be a trait on your main character. For example my current ruler has the 'Proud' trait.

proudtrait1.png

Since my ruler has this trait it will directly impact my prestige in the upper right corner. If my wife or another character had this trait it would only affect their personal prestige.

He also talks a bit about the 'Study Technology' ability of your Spymaster around 16:00 but he doesn't really show what you should be looking at when thinking about placing your spymaster somewhere to siphon technology. There are two ways of determining where to place your spymaster when using this ability. First, the quick, and more scattershot approach is to click on a province, like he does in the video and look at the number of advances in that province. Below you see the advances in Paris highlighted with a red box.

paristechselect.png

From left to right they are the Military, Economic, and Cultural advances made in that province. The more advances you make in each area the higher the associated number will be. If you hover your mouse over the specific icon you'll be given more detail on your progress in that area.

The second, and more focused method of determining where to send your Spymaster is to use the Technology tab on the top left.

techselectsimple.png

Once open you'll see something like this:

siegetechdetail.png

In the above example I have pressed the button to the left of Siege Equipment and it colors the provinces based on their level of advancement. This allows you to easily choose where to send your Spymaster based on what technologies you want to prioritize.

A quick tip, the two yellow provinces in the above picture are the only two provinces in the world that have stage 2 siege equipment in the William the Conqueror bookmark. If you started at the start date, Nikomedeia, a province a few north of the lower yellow province will be the only outside source of stage 2 siege equipment. It also happens to be one of the best choices for all around advancement in that start date.

If you're starting your game in the early periods, like the start date of September 16, 1066 (bookmarked as Stamford Bridge) or the William the Conqueror bookmark, do NOT bother using your Spymaster to Study Technology in most of Western Europe. The Muslim world and the Byzantine Empire are far better sources for higher technology in this period. Just so you can compare here is the province that I sent my Spymaster to. Note the much higher number of advancements.

attaleiatechbrief.png

Awesome! I was contemplating getting this, but the demo had me thinking it was too daunting. Will pick it up now, armed with these tutorials!

If you have any questions feel free to post them here. I'll check this thread occasionally and try to answer any questions I happen to know the answer to. I'll also be going through the rest of those tutorial videos and providing any corrections I can here so that GAF can use those as a guide.

Yeah, I used my knowledge that the Moors were into knowledge to find out they were like 3 times more advanced than me when I started out in Spain, lol.

Clevinger

I just had my first bug (after like 200+ game years and god knows how many hours playing) and it's a whopper. At around year 1219 the Mongols finally showed up over in the east, but for some reason 101,000 (101 thousand!) of their troops over on the east edge of the map were mine. I could control them, fight with them, disband them, whatever. I disbanded them. Not only that, but like 20 or so Mongols showed up in my court (this is in Spain, basically the other side of the map of where the Mongols should be). And the Mongol leader has a favorable opinion of me; one of the reasons listed is our "diplomacy." What?

Weird shit. I hope this doesn't screw up their conquest because I was looking forward to watching that unfold.

Top Bottom