• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crusader Kings 2 |OT| Strategy/RPG hybrid goodness

In terms of complexity, in my opinion it goes: HOI3>Crusader Kings II>Victoria II>EU3. However that just may be my bias after playing a ton of EU 3 and Vic 2 (loving the expansion), I haven't played much of CK2 yet, but I find it a heck of a lot more user friendly than the first one. I find it a little daunting but maybe that's because I never put more than a handful of minutes into CK1. My best advice with Paradox's games is read the manual (no, really read it) after messing around for a couple hours. The more you play the game the more you'll pick up on and learn. It takes patience, but you should find it rewarding. I'm still trying to crack into HOI3 (even by playing HOI2 first), but damn that's a complex series.

In my opinion, HoI3 is definitely the most complex, but I found Victoria 2 to be more complex than CK2.

I echo reading the manual, but for CK2 I have found youtube to be the most helpful resource BY FAR.

http://youtu.be/bJhoyHE26lg

There are tons of good ones out there, but, ya, you need to do a lot of video watching. =)

Fitz

Very nice little series of videos there, I had a reasonable idea of things going on in the game, but it hadn't all clicked until I just watched them. Also I realised that picking King Harold of England for my first game was a bad idea. lol

eznark

Banned
Finally picked this up thanks to a contest at No High Scores and dug into it very briefly last night. So far it hasn't crashed, way to go Paradox!

Looking forward to spending a lot more time with it. Seems like they have done a heck of a job implementing the dynasty/Houses stuff to make it a more interesting overall world.

Hari Seldon

I'm trying to figure out the best way to develop economically. It seems improving your vasal cities doesn't really give you that much money. And I don't understand how a castle city doesn't give you much money. Like you build a +2 castle city and your income goes up by like 0.2.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Finally picked this up thanks to a contest at No High Scores and dug into it very briefly last night. So far it hasn't crashed, way to go Paradox!

I've got 23 hours played and only issue I had was in a tutorial.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to develop economically. It seems improving your vasal cities doesn't really give you that much money. And I don't understand how a castle city doesn't give you much money. Like you build a +2 castle city and your income goes up by like 0.2.

Create an anti pope.

Volodja

The way I do it I get 32 gold every month with an 80% stewardship bonus.

The 9 territories I keep in my demesne are all castles, some County capitals, some baronies, I keep 3 Castles in a single region (there are also the normal city and church baronies but they are given to vassals) with my marshall and my steward in it, I don't have money (and maybe even the place, now that I think about it) to make an almost all Cities county and to put my steward there, upgrading 9 castles and the few cities that are already around costs quite a bit, otherwise that would be ideal.

At Farming 2, Castle Infrastructure 2 and Upgraded Keeps 2 a fully upgraded castle gives 16.52 gold every year, I think and if you are the one controlling it you get the full tax. Cities with mayors and Harsh city taxes can pack quite a punch too, with tech stats equivalent to the ones for the castles (Town Infr 2, Trade Tax 2 and Improved Keeps 2) the tax for an upgraded city should be 46.56 gold which under Harsh city tax (45%) is around 21 gold. I don't have any city that is completely upgraded at that point which has a mayor with positive relations with me (still recovering from the passing of my last character) but one of them (with positive relations) gives me more than 19 a year for a nearly completed city, so that amount when I finish building stuff should be right.

When it comes to Vassal controlled Castles and Churches, I've yet to really develop any of them, they are definitely of lower priority for me, mainly because they don't excel at giving me units as much as my own castles do and they don't give me as much money as cities. Also there is the whole giving money to the pope thing.

By the way, the figures you see in the building section (and in the tax section in your vassals list) are yearly gold (I'm pretty sure, at least).

Hari Seldon

The way I do it I get 32 gold every month with an 80% stewardship bonus.

The 9 territories I keep in my demesne are all castles, some County capitals, some baronies, I keep 3 Castles in a single region (there are also the normal city and church baronies but they are given to vassals) with my marshall and my steward in it, I don't have money (and maybe even the place, now that I think about it) to make an almost all Cities county and to put my steward there, upgrading 9 castles and the few cities that are already around costs quite a bit, otherwise that would be ideal.

At Farming 2, Castle Infrastructure 2 and Upgraded Keeps 2 a fully upgraded castle gives 16.52 gold every year, I think, if you are the one controlling it it mean you get the full tax. Cities with mayors and Harsh city taxes can pack quite a punch too, with tech stats equivalent to the ones for the castles (Town Infr 2, Trade Tax 2 and Improved Keeps 2) the tax for an upgraded city should be 46.56 gold which under Harsh trade tax (45%) is around 21 gold. I don't have any city that is completely upgraded at that point which has a mayor with positive relations with me (still recovering from the passing of my last character) but one of them (with positive relations) gives me more than 19 a year for a nearly completed city, so that amount when I finish building stuff should be right.

When it comes to Vassal controlled Castles and Churches, I've yet to really develop any of them, they are definitely of lower priority for me, mainly because they don't excel at giving me units as much as my own castles do and they don't give me as much money as cities.

By the way, the figures you see in the building section (and in the tax section in your vassals list) are yearly gold (I'm pretty sure, at least).

Yeah this is good advice. Right now I am up to like 22g/month as denmark with farming 2 and everything else at 1. I went through and upgraded the castle town's in my demense as much as possible, and then I built up the military, and now I am going through my vasal cities and upgrading them. Seems ok, but Denmark is pretty easy and I am hardly ever at war.

Volodja

Yeah this is good advice. Right now I am up to like 22g/month as denmark with farming 2 and everything else at 1. I went through and upgraded the castle town's in my demense as much as possible, and then I built up the military, and now I am going through my vasal cities and upgrading them. Seems ok, but Denmark is pretty easy and I am hardly ever at war.
I was following this way and doing fine with Savoie but earlier while I was just checking a couple of things to make sure that my post was accurate and I decided to let the clock run for a second because it was giving me some errors when it came to correctly displaying taxes, I saw doom approaching.

The Emperor decided to revoke my title as Duke of Genoa. He is going to make the same demand as soon as I start playing next time and it was pretty much immediately after my save so I just closed the game and started sobbing a little inside.

Under the current Crown Law I can't declare war at all, so I can't expand aywhere else after I get the territorial loss and I don't know if I want to try and go against the Empire quite yet.

I mean, I can rise 11000 men as personal levy and another 5000 from my vassals and I could get two mercenary bands and still be at only a small monthly loss but the empire right now has no wars going on so it could probably field more than I can anyway.

Maybe I'll just accept and keep on building up my castles so that I can go against the empire for my indipendence soon after, after all that duchy doesn't contribute that much to my levy and the only taxes I got were from the Count of Genoa and the Prince-Bishop of Nice and both my Curch tax and my Noble tax are nothing impressive (especially with the relations levels I have right now).

Hari Seldon

Man this is coming along nicely, can't wait until they are done!

ihzBnl.jpg

(That is Game of Thrones if you didn't guess)

Keep everyone happy. You get more gold/levies the happier they are. Bishops only pay you taxes if they like you more than the pope. If they like the pope more, they pay taxes to him. You can either make an anti-pope or just give them titles to make them happy.

Own castles they give the most gold for the vast majority of the time. Go for econ buildings first, you will be able to afford armies later. And yes, it takes years for them to pay off, but this game is about the long term. I think a level 2 castle village takes like 60 years to pay for itself, and that's the best one.

There are some draw backs to this but give mayors some counties. They become lord mayors. You want the nobles to be happy so they don't rebel so most likely they aren't paying taxes. Mayors aren't nobles so they will pay taxes.

Research farming and anything that makes people happy.

Don't have negative traits, people will dislike you. Happiness = more money.

new patch came out today too.

Hari Seldon

Keep everyone happy. You get more gold/levies the happier they are. Bishops only pay you taxes if they like you more than the pope. If they like the pope more, they pay taxes to him. You can either make an anti-pope or just give them titles to make them happy.

Own castles they give the most gold for the vast majority of the time. Go for econ buildings first, you will be able to afford armies later. And yes, it takes years for them to pay off, but this game is about the long term. I think a level 2 castle village takes like 60 years to pay for itself, and that's the best one.

There are some draw backs to this but give mayors some counties. They become lord mayors. You want the nobles to be happy so they don't rebel so most likely they aren't paying taxes. Mayors aren't nobles so they will pay taxes.

Research farming and anything that makes people happy.

Don't have negative traits, people will dislike you. Happiness = more money.

new patch came out today too.

How do you differentiate between a mayor and a noble? Because I have been giving my extra sons cities to keep them less powerful for my heir, but I see people talk about mayors like they are a special class of citizen or something.

There are 3 types of people
Nobles: in charge of castles/counties
burghers: in charge of cities
bishops: in charge of churches

mayors and bishops retain their 1st type even if you give them a county afterwards. So if give a mayor a county, they will be come lord mayor. They are still a mayor 1st. You can collect taxes on them even if you have taxes set to 0 on nobles.

Only problem is you won't get much money from their castle because they are wrong type of holder which is like 75% decrease in taxes. Also you don't get as much levies from the castle. You also don't have control really of who becomes the next mayor when the current mayor dies. So you may have to revoke some titles.

here's an indepth guide:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?589469-GUIDE-In-depth-Guide-to-CKII&

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man this is coming along nicely, can't wait until they are done!

ihzBnl.jpg

(That is Game of Thrones if you didn't guess)

Do they have a website or anything? I'm very interested in that.

Just recently starting playing this, seems like I've been missing out. I love how murky and messy everything is, with layers upon layers of claims and titles and political scheming.

My first game's going pretty well so far. I started as the Duke of Northumberland with the single goal of making the north of England independent.

I did have the advantage of history and knowing a little about the game before I started, so I let Harold's armies defeat Harald's armies in the north, then when William started invading I declared independence from England. A few years and skirmishes passed before William conquered England and then started marching for me. But I quickly agreed to a white peace and was reabsorbed back into England, but kept myself and my Saxon council in power!

I felt William wouldn't last long though, so when he died I declared independence again and soon after Lancaster (which had quite a few relatives of my court coincidentally) broke away from England too, taking a lot of pressure off me as King Richard was also fighting the exiled Harold who had captured the south west. The poor Normans got themselves into a right state.

I started taking the offensive after a while, capturing Northampton and Essex, before King Richard finally agreed to my terms. Victory!

7192460474_f146ffaf9a_b.jpg

So now I don't know what to do next. Those Lancastrian lands look tempting...

Oh yeah, and for some reason my title and the name of my nation when from Northumberland to York at some point, I'm not sure how I managed that.

Corto

CK 2 is now available on Mac with Steam play buy one get Win and Mac versions. Downloading right now for my CK 2 gaming on the go on my MacBook Pro.

eznark

Banned
I'm just sitting here on the map screen impressed as hell with the level of detail...and I don't even like the books that much. This is really, really cool. Especially for how quickly it must have come together.

ZZMitch

Been playing this game for the last few days and I have a question. I accidentally disabled one of those circle things on the top of the screen. Is there anyway to get that event to pop up again or will I never get that notification ever again?

edit: nevermind I figured it out.

Corto

New patch and DLC pack to add Muslim Rulers to Crusader Kings 2

New York, May 30, 2012 – Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studio today reveal that players will soon be able to play as the Muslim rulers in upcoming DLC “Sword of Islam”.

The DLC will release at the same time as the next hefty patch which adds new features to the game, such as an expansion of the map into Mali-Songhay, differentiation on strong and weak claims, new plot, expanded combat and more.

Sword of Islam enables players to rule as the Muslim lords, delivering a wealth of specific new mechanics distinctive to these rulers, creating a whole new gameplay experience. Laws, marriage, holding, traits , titles and more will work completely differently.

Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam and patch 1.06 are scheduled to release in June 2012 for PC and Mac. Sword of Islam will be priced at $ 9.99.

Sword of Islam Trailer

Finally we can play as Saladin!

DagsJT

I was playing the king of France yesterday and everything was going good for a while until some of my heirs died of the plague. My only heir and then subsequent ruler was, get this, a homosexual, heretic dwarf. After he became king he was quickly excommunicated, he never produced an heir, and then all my vassals revolted and split up France, eventually uniting behind some asshole. My gay dwarf character didn't lose everything; he hung on to one piece of land... until he died and my dynasty died with him.

Holy shit.

Just got this game in the Steam sale a few days ago and reading up on it as it seems pretty complicated. Found this thread, saw that post and actually LOL'd for real. Brilliant.

Picked it up during the Steam sale. First game I ran out of money to pay my mercenaries that were defending for me so they took my land and knocked me out of the game :)

Arcteryx

CK 2 is now available on Mac with Steam play buy one get Win and Mac versions. Downloading right now for my CK 2 gaming on the go on my MacBook Pro.

Picked it up today from the Amazon deal only to find out...the Mac version has HORRIBLE flickering. Ughh, guess I'll hop on Bootcamp and do it that way.

Steeven

I really like this game. Building up your own dynasty is really addictive and for me its a rather new approach in Paradox games.

My first game as Denmark goes really good. I just received the Kingdom of Castille because I had the biggest share in a crusade the pope called against the Muslim rulers. This is still with my second king, who is a bad-ass. He also went on a crusade in Jeruzalem when he was around 20 years old, but that was a total failure. Another campaign of him was meddling in the English Civil War, but that turned out to be one of many so he didn't bother with the other ones.

203770_screenshots_2012_07_02_00001.jpg

Unfortunately, all of his male heirs are dead. The oldest son was the most promising one, but he died after some illness in his mid 30's. The second son was a loser, so my next heir became my third and last son. But he also died for some reason, and then my second son died in the crusade in Castille. So now I just hand over my kingdom to my grandson, who was named after my current king by the AI (awesome).

My daughters did a bit better. Not only are they all alive, the oldest one became queen of Hungary at young age. Now my grandson sits on that throne. The other four daughters were useful for strategic reasons, like alliances or keeping people happy.

Great great game, and haven't even touched the Muslim expansion yet.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Picked up the game during the steam sale and went to install the CK2Plus and Game of Thrones mods but they are not showing up when I launch the game. I extracted them to the mod folder under steamapps. Any ideas on what I am doing incorrectly?

Picked up the game during the steam sale and went to install the CK2Plus and Game of Thrones mods but they are not showing up when I launch the game. I extracted them to the mod folder under steamapps. Any ideas on what I am doing incorrectly?

You put them in steamapps\common\crusader kings ii\mod and they aren't showing up as an option in the launcher? Unless you extracted the mods incorrectly I'm not sure what would be causing this problem.

Sajjaja

I am really contemplating picking this up. I really am interested in approach this game takes to TBS.

I'm just not sure if I would be dedicated enough to play it vigorously. I really liked to play Civilization 4 back in the day, but I haven't played a TBS in some time. Anything worth pushing me over?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Munster is a good place to start, you should be able to become King of Ireland quite easily.

Really should have waited for the sale to grab Sword of Islam, though I didn't think they would discount it so much already.

Lanigan

Neo Member
Picked it up today from the Amazon deal only to find out...the Mac version has HORRIBLE flickering. Ughh, guess I'll hop on Bootcamp and do it that way.

And it doesn't support the Intel Hd 3000 graphics from 2011 MacBook Pro and Air.
Not on Mac OS 10.7 at least.

Aedile

Ulster or Munster, as mentioned above. Barcelona. Brittany. One of the Russian duchies. Once they form, the crusader states can be fun--I've had good games with the Kingdom of Cyprus and the Latin Empire. Pretty much any starting choice is fine as long as you give yourself a challenging and interesting goal to pursue.

CK2 is definitely game-of-2012-up-until-now for me. Paradox back on form after a few disappointing releases.

LProtag

Hm, I picked this up from the sale and I'm not sure if I should go straight into the GOT mod or play around with the vanilla version first.

I'm assuming I should do the latter?

found a bit of gamebreaking bug:

playing duke of munster and my heir is not my wife's son, hes from a previous marriage. I have 1 son and 3 daughters with the new wife, so my first son is going to inherit the duke title, while the other son will inherit one or two counties. I guess my wife wants to keep the inheritance among her kids because my spymaster uncovered a plot for her to kill my eldest son.... only SHE's the spymaster! She's she coming to me with a plot of her to murder my son - I guess this a flaw in the logic more than a bug, but I guess the game SHOULD neglect to tell me that my spymaster is plotting against my son.

Noaloha

Firstly, I did a search and wasn't sure whether I'd be best of using this thread or the Paradox Megathread. Went with my gut!

Okay then. For the last week or so I've become a little bit addicted to CKII. I'm about 75% through my first proper game (after a couple of 100 year or so test runs to get a feel for systems and buttons) and things are going pretty well. Definitely still learning new things, but I've figured out a whole heap of stuff through this longer run by making mistakes and witnessing the cause/effect fallout. Next time will most certainly run much smoother.

BUT. I've just noticed something that's giving me a massive headache from brain overload. Screenshot to follow, but read through the following to get the background.

The story behind the following screenshot, in case it won't be apparent: My demesne includes Ulster (yay double-town) and Gowrie (yay double-castle). The Kingdoms of Ireland and Wales were created many centuries ago by my forebears, whilst the Kingdom of Scotland was usurped a short while after.

I've been having a puzzling problem for a LONG time now where, even though Crown Authority is medium for all three Kingdoms (ie. no fighting between vassals in the realm), there's been this constant trickle flow of occasional in-fighting still persisting, in Scotland for the main part. It was doing my head in trying to figure out why. About a century ago I looked at the 'Direct Vassals' mode on the map and saw all sorts of crazy shit, with the brown of Wales in Scotland, other vassals' green also in Scotland and blue of Scotland in Ireland. There was a fallout of cross-Kingdom vassal hierarchies all over the fucking bedroom floor of my realm. I suspected that this might be the cause of the in-fighting somehow so I set about tidying it up. I've largely achieved it now and only have a single Irish Duchess who has Scottish Galloway as part of the Irish Duchy of Connacht. A few more years and she'll be a lowly Countess and that Duchy will be destroyed so that it can be made again non-screwy.

It was after things had neatened again that another inter-vassal war broke out in Scotland. This was annoying because I thought I'd tidied these particular Counties' shit up! Nope.

So I'm clicking around trying to figure out what's going on and I notice that, in the county screen, the Coat of Arms in the top-right is inconsistent and buggery when you click around the Highlands. Some counties are considered Kingdom of Ireland, some are considered Kingdom of Scotland. So (and I can't believe it took me this long to actually do this) I clicked on the Kingdom of Ireland CoA and I'm greeted by this:

ib07yRg1gtoG0d.png

(Map mode: Direct Vassals)

Whaaaat the piiiiiiss.

I have NO idea how I managed that. I have to assume that it goes waaaay back and that it is this which is causing my vassal war problem. So while Medium Crown Authority stops vassals fighting within a ream (ie. single Kingdom), they're free to fight across Kingdoms.

QUESTION:

Can anyone explain to me what I did to cause this and outline the steps which need to be taken in order to keep Kingdoms as De Jure as possible once you create them?

As an aside, I'm having a bastard of a time managing to get any kind of foothold in England. My attempts at fabricating claims are giving me poop and it's been distressingly difficult to get claimants to the Throne under my wing so I could marry them off without them having a say in the matter. I should have been sowing Ua Briain seeds among those counties about 200 years ago.

EDIT:

By the way, in case that map above is immediately misleading, here's the Independent Realm map, just to show that Ireland, Wales and Scotland are all considered one independent realm:

ibnmCt3CSlP0Jf.PNG

Sblargh

Banned
Just noticed a new expasion!
Legacy of Rome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ovRgvkf_oyo

Main Features in Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome and patch 1.07
New Faction System: Join a royal faction and use your allies in the party to enhance your strength and tear down rivals
Raise Standing Armies: You will now be able to use retinues to have standing armies in your domain: the size of which is determined by technology
Experience Factional Revolts: No more easily defeated rebellions. Disgruntled vassals will now band together in revolt against your rule through their faction
Appoint Orthodox Patriarchs: Orthodox kingdoms and empires can now control their own heads of religion and their powers, instead of being dependent on the patriarch of Constantinople
Streamlined Mobilization: You will always raise a single, larger levy from your direct vassal; no need to worry about the opinions of the lower vassals
Leader Focus on Combat: Appoint your generals wisely, their traits and skills are now of vital importance on the field of battle. More commander traits are now added to increase the importance of your choice of military leaders
Byzantium Comes Alive: New sets of decisions and events specifically designed with the Byzantine Empire in mind
Improve your ruler: You can now actively strive to improve your skills or traits through the new Self-Improvement Ambitions

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'm making a concerted effort to play all the way to the end on a playthrough of the game. I've fiddled around quite a bit, and have a basic grasp of the game so far (though I suck at warfare). I'm playing with the difficulty turned down, though. Went with Connaucht so I can stay safely removed from a lot of the goings on in continental Europe. It's been pretty uneventful so far with lots of hunts, fairs, and feasts. Got lucky and was able to do a couple of ambitions that scored a bunch of prestige (increase diplomacy, and increase scholarly skills). Things started picking up last night when another dukedom fabricated a claim on my lands (they haven't tried to attack yet), my wife died, she was also my spymaster, so this led to a ton of shuffling around in my council, as I added new nobles with way better stats, and reassigned others to new roles. Then my bishop went heretic on me and had to be imprisoned. Finally pushed my luck a little too hard with all the hunts I've been doing, as my guy got wounded last go around. Also remarried my character to a 21 year old courtier, and they popped out a daughter (he's pushing 60, btw).

Not sure what I want to do overall, but I may try and expand into neighboring areas at some point. My military isn't very big, though, so I need to build that up. Should I just have my marshal focusing on increasing levies, and try to build a structure at some point that can house a lot of soldiers in order to build up my army?

Also, how long does it usually take to see an uptick in research of specific things? I've had things being researched for over a decade that have been sitting at 90% the entire time.

Help needed. Due to being pretty much clueless what to do I decided to watch some youtube tutorial (the ingame one really is pretty terrible and sometime doesn't work at all :/ )...
And now like 4 or 5 minutes into the video I'm sort of stuck. The guy there started at Thomond/Ireland and how you see how much units my vassals would send if I'd go to war. He opens, say the map of Ormond and then he just holds the mouse over the position just below the capital or the other cities in that area. And in his video he actually gets tons of information, including how many of the troops that are there that guy would actually send.
All I get is the amount of troops, but not how many that guy would send :/
Help plz :/
(If you have a good youtube tutorial vid feel free to share)

Shantom

Help needed. Due to being pretty much clueless what to do I decided to watch some youtube tutorial (the ingame one really is pretty terrible and sometime doesn't work at all :/ )...
And now like 4 or 5 minutes into the video I'm sort of stuck. The guy there started at Thomond/Ireland and how you see how much units my vassals would send if I'd go to war. He opens, say the map of Ormond and then he just holds the mouse over the position just below the capital or the other cities in that area. And in his video he actually gets tons of information, including how many of the troops that are there that guy would actually send.
All I get is the amount of troops, but not how many that guy would send :/
Help plz :/
(If you have a good youtube tutorial vid feel free to share)

I believe there was a patch that pushed that data to within the military screen, which was indeed very annoying for me. You can still see your vassal's military strength through the military stuff at the top.

zugzug

heh I get the mechanics to play this game I am just soo bad at it. always picking the wrong countries to play little dukes or counts get steamrolled by bigger nations with their bigger armies.

Watching Lisranda on twitch TV over December and january playing was amazing.

Top Bottom