• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 pulled from Steam Store, [Move To New Thread, See Last Post For Link]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

Lonely1 said:
So, how's DRM in EA Origins store? The main reason for buying EA games through Steam for me was the lack of SeCuROM. Does Origins use SercuROM? If so, then 0 EA games for me in the future.
5 install limit with reactivations so not terrible but not as good as Steam.

Acosta

Ploid 3.0 said:
Not amazon or Orgin games. It's just like old times where you install a game on your pc and put your disk away. Don't have to touch amazon download program, or Orgin unless you want to download a new game.

No auto-updates, no community, a shitty downloader and terribad DRM policies. All advantages.

You have convinced me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
LovingSteam said:
Still would love to see actual, you know, proof that Crysis 2 was removed from Steam for this reason.
Yes, that kind of clarity before jumping the gun would be nice.

I really love steam...but I am going to play BF3 no matter who sells it. Whats with the DD loyalty? If a game is not available at one store just buy it at another.

GJS

Lonely1 said:
So, how's DRM in EA Origins store? The main reason for buying EA games through Steam for me was the lack of SeCuROM. Does Origins use SercuROM? If so, then 0 EA games for me in the future.
Origin has no natural DRM for a lack of a better word, DRM is on a game by game basis depending on what was decided when the game launched and it is usually a 5 machine install limit.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Deadbeat said:
Is this a joke post? its been getting really bad reviews.

Not for other devs on steam.
Reviewers are broken. It's a great game.

Then again my tastes rarely line up with the mass media. Fuck 'em.

Acosta

szaromir said:
My PC plays majority of new games at 60fps and high settings, it's perfectly fine.
Unlike you I have no emotional attachment to Steam and if EA wants to sell their games on their own e-store only, I'll just use it if the game interests me. No big deal.

I don't have any emotional attachment to it.

I just have a PC that works as it should. It's too bad yours don't.

Detox

Salazar said:
I had a window repeatedly telling me to begin the steps to start up Origin on my PC. It was fucking intrusive, and wasn't even related to any game I was playing or trying to load at the time - as would be the case with installing Steam.

It was just EA pushing its service onto me.
You probably had it set to start up with Windows so it kept trying to update. I still have EADM on my PC as I haven't updated it to Origin. It never pops up and asks me to update to Origin.

I don't understand why this is a problem. They want to use their games as a trojan horse just like Valve does. Thankfully after installation you can just add games to the steam menu reaping the benefits of the overlay and never turn origins on again.

Uriah

If EA thinks I'm going to buy BF3 from their shitty service, they are wrong. I will just play Red Orchestra 2.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Meh, doesn't effect me too much as I was getting BF3 on retail disc anyway. I just hope EA removes SercuROM from Bad Company 2 Retail and BF3 retail via a patch. >_>
haha, fat chance of that.

(._.)

Banned
So is this a mistake or did they mean to pull it from steam? If they did they are complete morons and I am laughing at them. Wont ever get BF3, ME3 or Crysis 2 now if they don't return or come out on Steam.

Steam = GOAT

Nobody wants to go through some crappy web browser store for a game they could get on a great medium like Steam. I think every PC game should have Steam support unless it is say... an MMO or has its own client that is good (aka very few).

Acosta

Kabuki Waq said:
I really love steam...but I am going to play BF3 no matter who sells it. Whats with the DD loyalty? If a game is not available at one store just buy it at another.

It´s no loyalty. It's consumer preference.

coopolon

Lonely1 said:

Yes, most (maybe all?) games have SecuROM in the Origin store. It's just like buying it retail. Conversely, they don't require the client running unlike the Steam versions. And the 5 machine activation limits can be revoked so when uninstalling a game you just deactivate and you have all 5activations left.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
vidal said:
But it's on Impulse and Direct2Drive, what's the problem? Where's the solid evidence that EA is going to do this?

None yet, I already commented on that in the first post of this thread, but we've heard rumblings of EA doing this since Origins was announced.

Deadbeat

Banned
So what publishers are fine with steamworks? I know THQ,Activision, and 2k games are on board. Ubisoft just sells stuff on steam.

Wthermans

Banned
If BF3 isn't on Steam, I'm not buying the game. End of story.

Sad thing is that despite everything that Valve and Steam has done for PC Gaming in the last 10 years, people will still choose BF3.

(._.) said:
So is this a mistake or did they mean to pull it from steam? If they did they are complete morons and I am laughing at them. Wont ever get BF3, ME3 or Crysis 2 now if they don't return or come out on Steam.

Steam = GOAT

Nobody wants to go through some crappy web browser store for a game they could get on a great medium like Steam. I think every PC game should have Steam support unless it is say... an MMO or has its own client that is good (aka very few).
what do you mean web browser store? origin uses a stand alone program as well.

Why does Origin not have the Mass Effect 2 DLC available yet?

The process of buying those on the PC is so convoluted that I haven't bought any of them yet.

Find the right page on Bioware's website, get "Bioware points" (wat) THEN you can get them!

The reason I Download games on the PC is for convenience, and EA has been making some of the most inconvenient PC games ever since their inclusion of the EA login with their games (first one I remember was DA:O). It took my friend about an hour to start playing Crysis 2 (the single player even!) on the PC because it wouldn't recognize his EA login. In the end I think he had to make a new EA account just to play this one game.

I think I'd rather play ME3 on the Xbox if I have to deal with this again.

Ploid 3.0

Snuggler said:
"It's just a update to EA Download manager"

Have you been paying attention? It's a publisher, known for being greedy and short sighted, pulling their content from preferred DD services and making it exclusive to their own. Unless EA goes against all logical expectations and offers a quality and/or competitive service, we will not benefit from this in any way. Ideally, they could run their store but offer incentives to use it instead of forced exclusivity, but instead they simply leave us with no choice. This means that EA would have no reason to be competitive or offer a better value, because if gamers want to play their current PC games they have no choice but to use the store.

Is it the end of the world? No. But it's EA trying to take a shot at Steam and we're the ones caught in the middle.

I can understand people wanting to stick with Steam friend list and community features, but that "I have to update Origin to download my game" thing was weird. On PC people take advantage of being able to update, mod, improve every program and any program. Now it's all about being locked to one service due to not wanting to download a app that allows for secure downloading of a game, which you never have to load again.

I see what you're saying about the personal feelings older PC users may have with EA. I will not dispute that. If people in this thread feel that way they should just explain that as their reason + whatever else and there would be no arguing that. Normal customers that want the convenience of downloading the game will use Origin, and EA know it.

Also Amazon download have amazing deals a lot of the time. You guys should take a look. Well for games that aren't steam if you're locked to steam.

Wthermans said:

Sad thing is that despite everything that Valve and Steam has done for PC Gaming in the last 10 years, people will still choose BF3.

We're just customers. We don't owe Valve.

szaromir

Banned
Acosta said:
I don't have any emotional attachment to it.

I just have a PC that works as it should. It's too bad yours don't.
My PC works perfectly fine.
And yes, you do have emotional attachment. Otherwise you wouldn't care where you download a game from, simple as that.

It'd be great if Valve allowed every PC game to be on Steam.

Makoto

Wthermans said:
People should choose BF3. The problem here is ridiculous. Valve was guilty of distributor exclusivity long ago. EA is just taking a page out of the Valve playbook.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PHEW. I just checked. Crysis 1 is still there. No worries. The good game is still there.

dwebo

Well... EA does publish a lot of decent games. If anybody was going to muscle into the DD market and succeed, they probably have the best chance of it.

Also, BF3 / ME3 / TOR is a hell of a combination of exclusives. Still don't like it, though.

coopolon

Wthermans said:

You think people should not buy BF3 because they owe something to Valve? I figured, you know, paying Valve money to play the games they sell you was the only obligation I had.

goldenpp72

So.. if people are mad that EA might not release titles on steam, would they be mad if valve didn't release products on origin?

StuBurns

Banned
Y2Kev said:
PHEW. I just checked. Crysis 1 is still there. No worries. The good game is still there.
I wish I'd grabbed Warhead when it was on sale now. For some reason the UK sale was crap compared to the US, it was like double the price of Crysis.

Y2Kev said:
Never bought it because of how unclear the DRM issue was. I remember that it was on sale for ten bucks during the holiday sale.

:/

1-D_FTW

Acosta said:
It´s no loyalty. It's consumer preference.

And having the memory of an elephant. I remember EA's crappy pay to download schemes in the past. And EA changes corporate directions with the seasons. There's absolutely no reason to be confident in what you're buying into, because they've given ample reason to distrust everything. This is why Steam has earned its loyalty. It's straight forward and simple. Buy a game and download as many times as you want. Heck, abandon your account for 5 years and still be able to come back and play it. It's peace of mind.

(._.)

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
what do you mean web browser store? origin uses a stand alone program as well.
I'm unfamiliar with origin. I've gotten some stuff in the past through the EA store last year and it was a pain dealing with their store. It reminded me a lot of the Ubi store which I just redeemed a game from. It was lacking compared to say how you get games through steam.

Still a silly idea since Steam is already king.

Deadbeat

Banned
StuBurns said:
I wish I'd grabbed Warhead when it was on sale now. For some reason the UK sale was crap compared to the US, it was like double the price of Crysis.
Just get Crysis Wars. Its the only thing worth buying due to Mechwarrior Living Legends.

x3sphere

goldenpp72 said:
So.. if people are mad that EA might not release titles on steam, would they be mad if valve didn't release products on origin?
No, because I don't use Origin and don't intend to.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
AcciDante said:
Is BF3 going to be Origin exclusive? I actually won't buy it if I can't get it on Steam...
This doesn't really make any sense to me. I personally like buying all my games on Amazon but I wouldn't miss out just because it's not on there. It's almost as if people are more enamored with collecting games on Steam than actually playing them.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
coopolon said:
Yes, most (maybe all?) games have SecuROM in the Origin store. It's just like buying it retail. Conversely, they don't require the client running unlike the Steam versions. And the 5 machine activation limits can be revoked so when uninstalling a game you just deactivate and you have all 5activations left.

SecuROM is such BS. My (very old) DVD Drive was making noises, so I disconnected it. One activation lost, then I disconnected one of my HDD to share some info, another activation lost. Now I just have 1 activation of Warhead left after using it in only 1 PC. The removal license tool won't fix this...

Wthermans

Banned
vidal said:
People should choose BF3. The problem here is ridiculous. Valve was guilty of distributor exclusivity long ago. EA is just taking a page out of the Valve playbook.
Distributor exclusivity is fine with me as long as the consumer gets things along the way. This has never been the case with EA and I doubt it ever will be. No dev from EA's holdings has ever given us what Valve has (not just with Steam, but the free, first-party content for their games as well). Supporting BF3 just because it's got some pretty graphics and destruction when they are literally removing consumer choice is ridiculous.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ploid 3.0 said:
Also Amazon download have amazing deals a lot of the time. You guys should take a look. Well for games that aren't steam if you're locked to steam.

Definitely, even though I spend the most money on Steam by far, I still keep a tab on the other retailers. I love Steam, but I'm not one of those dudes who refuses to shop elsewhere. Still, the issue is exclusivity, and the fact that it likely would be something that only EA benefits from. I'm all about having choice.

We'll see.

woober

Trying to compete with Steam, Origin?

Laughing.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom