• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 [use new thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sutanreyu

Crytek has DX11 features running on the console versions but it's undecided if they will be included in the retail release: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-graphics-running-on-crysis-3-on-ps3-xbox-360

Crytek has a habit of saying things that aren't necessarily true. Parallax Occlusion Mapping was first implemented in the first Crysis in DX9... Then eventually, nearing release, they artificially made it a 'DX10-exclusive feature' and promoted it as such to exaggerate the differences between the two APIs.

As for the game... Seven different themed areas, wider degree of exploration, and funky alien-technology... It sounds like it's heading slightly towards a Metroid-like territory, which I totally dig.

I think it's the bit about how keeping the game in NYC allows them to reuse a ton of assets (even with the vegetation overgrowth), and that the enemies are the same from Crysis 2 (despite the time skip). I think most were hoping they'd abandon the urban backdrop as it was seen as a big departure from the first game. They've promised quite a bit of variety, but their PR is only showing areas that look strikingly similar to Crysis 2.

I wasn't bothered by any environmental samishness, it was more that they managed to show approximately dick new gameplay (if there even is any) outside of "you now have a bow and arrow". The seemingly identical foes, identical HUD, identical weapon models for the C2 guns, identical alien-knife-kill animation and so on.

What we saw was brief, so I'll freely acknowledge that judging a game based on 20s of footage is impossible. But I expected them to spend their extremely brief time showing off all the cool new stuff they have included, whereas the only new things we saw were the NYC jungle environments and the bow weapon, neither of which were particularly exciting.

sp3000

Seriously, what were you expecting it to look like? Honest question.

It looks like a sequel should. Like its previous game.

Is this a joke, how can you honestly call this a sequel

This looks like a Crysis Warhead expansion to Crysis 1. A 60 dollar expansion that reuses animations, assets, enemies, and just about everything from the previous game. It's a moneygrab and nothing more.

A sequel is BF3 to BFBC2. Looks totally different and plays signficantly different. A sequel is Halo 3 to 4. A sequel is Crysis 1 to 2.

When you reuse the HUD from the previous game, it just stands out as nothing more than a grab for cash with little effort put into it.

Much better than most "gameplay" trailers.

Seriously, you are starting to sound like a EA viral marketer at this point. Go watch the gameplay trailer for Crysis 1, or any of the other games I mentioned above. The tech demo for the original game had more gameplay than this.

Crytek has a habit of saying things that aren't necessarily true. Parallax Occlusion Mapping was first implemented in the first Crysis in DX9... Then eventually, nearing release, they artificially made it a 'DX10-exclusive feature' and promoted it as such to exaggerate the differences between the two APIs.

As for the game... Seven different themed areas, wider degree of exploration, and funky alien-technology... It sounds like it's heading slightly towards a Metroid-like territory, which I totally dig.

What's even funnier is that it was in the Crysis release on the Xbox 360. So they are completely making crap up at this point.

Vire

This looks like a Crysis Warhead expansion to Crysis 1. Nothing more than a 60 dollar expansion that reuses animations, assets, enemies, and just about everything from the previous game. It's a moneygrab and nothing more.

A sequel is BF3 to BFBC2. Looks totally different and plays signficantly different. A sequel is Halo 3 to 4. A sequel is Crysis 1 to 2.

When you reuse the HUD from the previous game, it just stands out as nothing more than a grab for cash with little effort put into it.

Gotta say... I agree here. :/

Sutanreyu

This looks like a Crysis Warhead expansion to Crysis 1. A 60 dollar expansion that reuses animations, assets, enemies, and just about everything from the previous game. It's a moneygrab and nothing more.

What's even funnier is that it was in the Crysis release on the Xbox 360. So they are completely making crap up at this point.

Purely marketing.

This looks like a Crysis Warhead expansion to Crysis 1. Nothing more than a 60 dollar expansion that reuses animations, assets, enemies, and just about everything from the previous game. It's a moneygrab and nothing more.

No it's not a joke. I've seen only about 30 seconds of gameplay footage. I can't really judge an entire game based on that. I find it crazy that you expect them to just completely throw out old animations and build completely new ones from scratch. Erm....why?

Do you know how many sequels reuse animations from their previous games?

Based off that 30 seconds of footage we've seen the aliens from Crysis 2. OH SHIT. Halo 2 and 3 are not sequels. The Covenant are still Covenant! You really think they will have no new enemies at all? Not sure what to tell you if you really believe that.

derFeef

Looks like a Crysis 2 expansion pack. Should've just called it Crysis 2 Warhead.

Edit: And I see I've been beat, and handily.

It's too early. Previews/game description make it sound much more, though.
(edit: also uploading gifs. not much but still...)

edit2: Man, the people that not jump to conclusion in here are like... 4 people? :-/

Derrick01

Banned
Looks like a Crysis 2 expansion pack. Should've just called it Crysis 2 Warhead.

Edit: And I see I've been beat, and handily.

You may have been beaten but I still agree with you. It looked almost exactly the same. What I could see between all of the flashes and flickers at least.

sp3000

No it's not a joke. I've seen only about 30 seconds of gameplay footage. I can't really judge an entire game based on that. I find it crazy that you expect them to just completely throw out old animations and build completely new ones from scratch. Erm....why?

Based off that 30 seconds of footage we've seen the aliens from Crysis 2. OH SHIT. Halo 2 and 3 are not sequels. The Covenant are still Covenant! You really think they will have no new enemies at all? Not sure what to tell you if you really believe that.

Why?

Oh yeah, I actually have expectations on what a sequel should be like. Looks like most other free thinking individuals on this forum also do. Only a fool looks at a game that reuses almost every single bit of content from the original and thinks it's a new game.

You know what, Crysis Warhead had new enemies and weapons and environments also. Therefore it must be a fine sequel according to your logic.

Battlefield 3 can't even match what Crysis 2 delivered.

Frostbite 2 blows this engine out of the water. It's actually built up from the ground for DX11 and not shoehorned in months after the game was released. It's destruction, scale, and multiplayer integration is miles ahead of Cryengine 3, which looks marginally better than Cryengine 2 did. CE3 is essentially an extremely optimized version of CE2, designed to be compatible with consoles.

Is CE3 a great looking engine, of course it is. So is Witcher 2's engine. But DICE's is technically the most advanced.

They don't want to give away too much this early, come on guys. Yes, it looks similar, maybe a little too similar. But I say give this puppy a chance. I already saw 2 new weapons, a new punch animation, a new enemy type, and what I thought looked like a pretty different and awesome environment.

I'm sure they'll have plenty of new content, especially since they're re-using stuff. Crytek already has the awesome graphics, we should be happy that they have time to tighten things up, rethink gameplay/AI strategy, add a bunch more weapons, etc. Why does it need to look different if it already looks awesome? They've said there will be much more environmental variety, and I believe them. Still a year to go at the least, gentlemen.

derFeef

How do you know? IIRC did we never leave New York in Crysis 2, why should that be different this time?

It's in New York, that has 7 discinct domes which are the "wonders of the left world" or something. Desert, swamp, jungle are confirmed I think.

It's too early. Previews/game description make it sound much more, though.
(edit: also uploading gifs. not much but still...)

edit2: Man, the people that not jump to conclusion in here are like... 4 people? :-/

Indeed, the previews made it seem more like Crysis 1 but the gameplay trailer made it look like Crysis 2 all over again. Hence, the expansion pack comments.

I'm sure there will be more open areas akin to Crysis 1 as they said in the previews, but again, judging from the gameplay trailer, it looks like the same ol' Crysis 2... with more vegetation.

I'm still looking forward to it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Frostbite 2 blows this engine out of the water. It's actually built up from the ground for DX11 and not shoehorned in months after the game was released. It's destruction, scale, and multiplayer integration is miles ahead of Cryengine 3, which looks marginally better than Cryengine 2 did. CE3 is essentially an extremely optimized version of CE2, designed to be compatible with consoles.

Is CE3 a great looking engine, of course it is. So is Witcher 2's engine. But DICE's is technically the most advanced.
That may be but the results speak for themselves. Crysis 2 is simply a better looking game all around and runs much smoother on top of that.

Frostbite 2 was also built with consoles in mind so I don't see how it's any different. At least CryEngine has a basis on the PC platform while Frostbite was originally a console technology evolved for newer hardware.

Why?

Oh yeah, I actually have expectations on what a sequel should be like. Looks like most other free thinking individuals on this forum also do. Only a fool looks at a game that reuses almost every single bit of content from the original and thinks it's a new game.

You know what, Crysis Warhead had new enemies and weapons and environments also. Therefore it must be a fine sequel according to your logic.

Right, I'm not a "free thinking individual". You're getting way too uptight here buddy. You've seen 30 seconds of footage. How do you know it's going to reuse almost "every single bit of content" from the second game?

No, I'm a fool because I want to give the game a chance. Jesus christ.

Right, I'm not a "free thinking individual". You're getting way too uptight here buddy. You've seen 30 seconds of footage. How do you know it's going to reuse "every single bit of content" from the second game?

No, I'm a fool because I want to give the game a chance. Jesus christ.

Thank you for being reasonable. We see like a couple quick snips of gameplay and almost none of the design and people have already made their mind up. Good job.

Imagine if people based their decision making on tiny inconceivably general information, no one would ever do anything...

dark10x

Only a fool looks at a game that reuses almost every single bit of content from the original and thinks it's a new game.
You really think it reuses almost every single bit of content? Why not share the build you've been playing then cuz it sure as hell doesn't look like it.

derFeef

Here are the gifs, not much as the trailer is edited like garbage.

81f7320f.gif
2df881a5.gif

91d396c6.gif
a609b855.gif

ee3571da.gif
d60a13d2.gif

7607534a.gif

Those two are ~20megs - click for big size. Love the frogs in the water.

Yep, same sound.

Not really.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
After the details we have heard about this game, declaring this not to be a sequel but an expansion would make just about every sequel released this generation "not a sequel"

Kit Airwave

Neo Member
Why?
*Writes down notes on being a pro developer*

Step 1. Make successful game.
Step 2. Scrap everything.
Step 3. Start sequel from ground up.

Thanks bro!

Ya know what? Screw Capcom! Did you guys ever play Megaman 2, 3 etc? They were just like Megaman 1! They might as well have been expansions.

Jackpot

Banned

Super-false equivalencies you're using there.

Jackpot

Banned
Seems most people here are making super-false assumptions based off...nothing.

Going to pull out the "impossible to tell what a game would be like until you play it" card? Fortunately I'm intelligent enough to judge how a game will play from gameplay footage.

dark10x

Going to pull out the "impossible to tell what a game would be like until you play it" card? Fortunately I'm intelligent enough to judge how a game will play from gameplay footage.
Likewise and I'm seeing a lot of new assets there. There is nothing in the trailer that suggests they are simply re-using old assets throughout. Sharing some animations and the like is expected, but it's clearly not a lazy expansion.

Good for you, but...no one's discussing how it will play. Pretty sure it will play like the previous Crysis games, being...Crysis 3?

I'm fine with saying I need to see more than 30 seconds of footage to really discern if almost every "bit of content is reused" as some other posters are boldly claiming.

derFeef

Really? You can tell from that trailer how the whole game plays and what's in there?

cbox

I don't get the appeal of crysis games, they look great but ultimately are incredibly boring and unimaginative. In my opinion.

dark10x

Really? You can tell from that trailer how the whole game plays and what's in there?
It's not particularly difficult to imagine how it will play, but that's not the issue here.

I really just hope they work on the AI a bit, however, as that has been a weak point throughout the series.

I don't get the appeal of crysis games, they look great but ultimately are incredibly boring and unimaginative. In my opinion.
The idea is simply that you are presented with an open area and multiple attack points. Unlike, say, Call of Duty and the like the AI is initially unaware of your presence and you are free to handle the situation as you see fit. The core gameplay has more in common with Metal Gear or Deus Ex (at least the mission side of things) than it does a corridor shooter and I find that very appealing. Whether in the jungle or the city the basic gameplay idea is the same and it's a lot of fun.

derFeef

It's not particularly difficult to imagine how it will play, but that's not the issue here.

I really just hope they work on the AI a bit, however, as that has been a weak point throughout the series.

Well it's a Crysis game so it will play pretty fucking great for sure. Uhm.. we agree ;)

I don't get the appeal of many games, but some people like them and I don't try to block their fun of doing so. (not saying you do, but just in case).

glaurung

That trailer gave me a headache.

Also, I now kind of want to buy Crysis 2 from PSN. But the PS3 version was shite, wasn't it?

dark10x

Yeah, no. The crysis games continue to be games wrapped around their engine, not the other way around.
What on earth makes you think that?

I feel that anyone making such a statement has not properly given the games a chance.

Also, I now kind of want to buy Crysis 2 from PSN. But the PS3 version was shite, wasn't it?
Yes, it was. I mean, it looks decent, but the framerate is pretty low and unstable (though with less variation than the 360 version which can go both higher and lower depending on the scene).

cbox

I don't get the appeal of many games, but some people like them and I don't try to block their fun of doing so. (not saying you do, but just in case).

Why would I want to do that? I don't - I just didn't get the same feeling others had with the first game. It looked amazing, but really, it didn't do anything for me. I'd never want to block anyone's fun, that's just stupid :)

What on earth makes you think that?

I feel that anyone making such a statement has not properly given the games a chance.

I'll admit I haven't had a chance to play the second yet, but the first was just ok for me. I felt that each encounter turned out exactly the same despite how I tried to approach the situation. I couldn't say, take out an entire camp by just using stealth... it would always turn into world war 3.

Nizz

Here are the gifs, not much as the trailer is edited like garbage.

Those two are ~20megs - click for big size. Love the frogs in the water.
Nice work. Didn't notice the frogs when I saw the trailer. Well, as fast as the cuts are who would? I think the game looks pretty damn nice. I wonder just how far into development they are?

Hopefully they have a lot of time to optimize/polish the game for next spring. I would have loved it if they held this game for next gen consoles (if they are indeed coming next year).

dark10x

Why would I want to do that? I don't - I just didn't get the same feeling others had with the first game. It looked amazing, but really, it didn't do anything for me. I'd never want to block anyone's fun, that's just stupid :)
Did you really play through it? I'm serious here.

Unless you have ADD and just ran straight while blasting everything in sight on easy mode I can't see how you could fail to appreciate what they achieved.

Crysis 2.5

Your opinion is wrong, Crysis 1 was a landmark achievement in FPS design.

I am open minded about crysis 3 to be like crysis 1 again and not more like 2. Just take 2s movement (sliding and climbing; but with prone and fast speed mode) and weapons (which were great) because , and 1s open area design and destruction. Bam, awesome game.

Also, thanks for ackowledging crysis 1s FPS design as being fundamentally brilliant. Most people say it is a tech demo, but, damn, I played the game like 30 odd times just because of the gameplay.

Never played a crysis game.

Nice visuals, but the trailer sucked major ass.

Boring aliens who use bows an arrows against some guy in a super suit? Maybe I need to actually play one of these.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

The idea is simply that you are presented with an open area and multiple attack points. Unlike, say, Call of Duty and the like the AI is initially unaware of your presence and you are free to handle the situation as you see fit. The core gameplay has more in common with Metal Gear or Deus Ex (at least the mission side of things) than it does a corridor shooter and I find that very appealing. Whether in the jungle or the city the basic gameplay idea is the same and it's a lot of fun.

Same here. Bits from the preview seem to allude that they might have thought around it...lacking in the previous games, outside of delta. The HL2 scanners and TF2 Pyro like aliens should pose a bit of a challenge (hopefully). I just wish they make the AI better.

Man, it's not in the trailer, but people should really read the preview...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom