• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CS:GO is Hard as Fuck to Be "Decent" At

hamchan

After reading most of the posts so far CS:GO sounds like the opposite of fun. I've often considered jumping in. Then I read comments that make it sound like you have to dedicate your life to it like a full time job...just so u can hopefully not suck ass quite as badly against "pro" players who seemingly have the game jacked into their frontal cortex & temporal lobes 24/7.

Well, if you want to play like a pro player without putting much time or effort into a game that rewards it, then there are many alternatives. Plenty of casual games out there after all, not every game is for everyone.

230 hours. I have my sensitivity set to max and use the 4:3 widescreen to get a bigger view on who I'm shooting. I don't have any issue with aiming other than my Ping being in the 60s and really can't do anything about it other than switching ISP.

If you are using max sensitivity you are a freak. I play on 5 sensitivity and that from my experience is extremely abnormal.

After reading most of the posts so far CS:GO sounds like the opposite of fun. I've often considered jumping in. Then I read comments that make it sound like you have to dedicate your life to it like a full time job...just so u can hopefully not suck ass quite as badly against "pro" players who seemingly have the game jacked into their frontal cortex & temporal lobes 24/7.

You don't have to dedicate your life. Yes there is a learning curve and if you want to improve, you'll have to put in sometime learning. However, MM matches you against similar skilled players (excluding smurfs), so it's not like you're going to be getting destroyed all the time. Also there are more casual friendly modes you can try out. Plus there are custom servers that cater to a huge range of players. CSGO isn't strictly competitive.

Vintage

You ALWAYS suck at CS, that's the beauty of it.

CS:GO has quite good matchmaking system so you won't be stuck with pros, most players will be your level.
Talking about fun - if you don't like the game after 100 hours, you probably won't even after 1000. You will always suck, you will always be learning and there will always be someone better than you. I don't think there's a point in skill progression where the game suddenly starts being "fun".

Been playing competitively since '08 (Source).
Only suggestions are stick to game modes you enjoy and make sure you have realistic goals. If you want to make invite (I guess it's professional now), you should really only be playing scrims on ESEA. If you're just looking to get better, DM with "real guns" (m4 of choice, ak, and awp only) and pistol dm to get better at pistol round and ecos.

The dirtiest secret about CS is that if you aren't a natural talent (and the last one that emerged on the scene was probably shroud) the only thing that will take you to another level is a craptton of time put into the game. The difference between being able to go positive in ESEA Main (record wise) and the average MM game (purely score wise per match) is beyond immense

CoolS

That's not true at all. You can hop in and have fun quite fast.

The real meat of cs is 5 vs 5 competetive matches though, and to be able to enjoy that you have to put in a certain amount of work. That much is true. Once you get decent though and find some people to play with and develop communication and tactics, CS is the greatest multiplayer experience to enjoy. So many amazing moments when you work together perfectly, trade frags or feed your team info so they can get that one kill which might win you the round.

And as always stop by the the OT. Yes there is a lot of gambling talk, but we also actually play the game.

Omega

Banned

The game just rewards those who put in time and effort as any game should. Like any real sport you can still have fun even if you choose to not put in the time to reach an elite level.

MutFox

Banned
I have a fulltime job, a gf, and am currently an MGE rank in the game and climbing.
Ranked is why I play the game, way too much fun.

I always do some Death Match to warmup for ranked.
Dominating death match should be easy once you're okay.

You don't need to dedicate your life to the game to be good.
Watch some tutorial video's, makes it a lot easier.

Also remember, if you don't capitalize on your shots,
it's your fault, you gotta make those shots count.

Drifters

So as a first beta tester of the original Counter-Strike, I have no idea why CS:GO is so f'ning popular. The last go I had at CS was Source and I quickly went back to 1.6. Before this turns into a "Yo dawg, I heard you..." argument, why are people flocking to CS:GO and giving up (from the looks of it) 1.6 and Source? Is it simply the modes?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
CS is full of people that scare me. I have a better chance against noobs using hacks than skilled CS players. I a\went over to Human Benchmark and I'm in the 98th percentile for reaction time (and that's 99% due to Gsync). And I still get owned all day in CS. I refuse to play it.

MutFox

Banned
So as a first beta tester of the original Counter-Strike, I have no idea why CS:GO is so f'ning popular. The last go I had at CS was Source and I quickly went back to 1.6. Before this turns into a "Yo dawg, I heard you..." argument, why are people flocking to CS:GO and giving up (from the looks of it) 1.6 and Source? Is it simply the modes?

It's much closer to 1.6 than source.
That's why it's blown up as THE competitive fps game.

abracadaver

I suck as well but its still fun because I like the matchmaking. It lets me play against similar skilled opponents and seems to work very good most of the time.

My K/D stat is only 0.8 yet I just got ranked up to Silver 5. this is after 105 hours of playtime.

Also I like to get skins or crates after a match that I can sell.

MutFox

Banned
I suck as well but its still fun because I like the matchmaking. It lets me play against similar skilled opponents and seems to work very good most of the time.

My K/D stat is only 0.8 yet I just got ranked up to Silver 5. this is after 105 hours of playtime.

Also I like to get skins or crates after a match that I can sell.

Yeah, it's funny you can make money just playing the game :p
I've used the money made from the game to buy other Steam games.

hamchan

Proper matchmaking finally giving normal people the structure to play a competitive match easily.

Skins and loot.

onken

Too bad Steam only captures hours played in the last few years. I must have been in the thousands for the original CS, and yes it hundreds of hours to master all the tricks, maps and weapons. And even then it doesn't mean you'll actually be any good, because the demands on twitch skills are incredibly high regardless of experience.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
One of the only games in modern era where things are competitive and you need to have skills. I have put in about 300 hours and I think I play quite good now with assault weapons. I wish I could be a better sniper though.

Hip Hop

They're just old games. I went back and just couldn't do it. The gameplay, the graphics, it's outdated.

Sometimes, you just have to move on and CSGO is the natural step.

Zissou

Continuously trying to improve is fun.

CS is full of people that scare me. I have a better chance against noobs using hacks than skilled CS players. I a\went over to Human Benchmark and I'm in the 98th percentile for reaction time (and that's 99% due to Gsync). And I still get owned all day in CS. I refuse to play it.

Counter-Strike is more map knowledge, awareness, and muscle memory than pure reflexes. Obviously you need to be fast to get SICK HEADSHOTS, but you get them through years of doing it, not just by aiming fast.

Upinsmoke

The problem I had with it playing competitively is because I was new and still getting the hang of it,my team was shooting me. I expect that kinda shit from 8 year olds on call of duty. It's put me off.

vocab

Reactions mean very little in the greater scheme of things. At the end of the day its hitting your shots and minimizing peekers advantage. That's more advance stuff, but starting out you should be focusing on the basics and general flow of 5v5 gameplay.

I can enjoy it in servers that disallow sniper rifles. It helps to have that ceiling. Some people are just so fucking good with the AWP, it prevents me from enjoying myself. Round after round of being sniped and having to wait three minutes can get very boring.

Learning the hit boxes, lag/delay, and fire patterns has helped me a lot. Helped a shit load to know that I had to pull the mouse down when during large bursts.

I still consider it a shitty fps, but I can have fun with it. It is pretty hard.

Jenenser

It's not a tradtional shooter, there's no moment in which the game will suddenly "click", you have to try really hard to improve.

Learning maps is one of the most pivotal aspects of the game. Learning "spots"...where to play and sit. Pro players tend to master a spot, and play that spot exclusively in teams.

Then you need to learn;
- Smokes and flashes for each map. Learn what "pop flashes" are, and where they are on each map.

- Crosshair placement, the most important thing to learn in CSGO that'll instantly make you better.

- Learning what to buy, and the concept of "eco" and an "eco round".

- Roles. Learn them...get a feel for what type of player you are. "Lurker", "Entry Fragger", "Support", "Awper" etc. There's other more niche stuff too.

- Strats. Learn various strats and executions...rimportant for competitive group play.

All of this stuff can be googled, and there's a wealth of resources and videos online, youtube in particular. You can sit in casual lobbies forever and still have fun, but at it's core, CSGO / Counterstrike in general is a purely competitive game. One of the best things for overcoming competitive anxiety is to simply play ranked matches exclusively. When you get better, you'll naturally climb. Don't play for rank...play to improve.

basically this with a few additions:

- use a headset and mic hearing your enemy is important for information and the mic for stratcalls/distribution of informations.
-learn to use the walkbutton
-check the corners

Hip Hop

The problem I had with it playing competitively is because I was new and still getting the hang of it,my team was shooting me. I expect that kinda shit from 8 year olds on call of duty. It's put me off.
I'd say CSGO is pretty bad when it comes to community, it's definitely up there with the worsts . The shit people spew, and the elitism is a turn off as well. But you do have some great people from time to time.

It comes with being popular.

That's why its best to run with a group than going solo.

impact

Banned
I too base my decision to try a game out by reading a bunch of uneducated opinions from people with 3 hours played.

My friend has 150 hours played and just got a tryout for an Invite team. 150 hours = dedicated life.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why do you feel the need to go positive? I enjoy playing CS just for the experience - it feels more meaningful than all out craziness of COD etc. as long as I feel I'm contributing something I don't worry about the stats. Eg if I'm defending a hostage area I might not have a ton of kills, but I might hold off the other team and allow my allies to take them out.

I can never do the headshot stuff consistently though. I get learning the spread patterns and cursor movement around corners etc, I just can't reliably lock on to a head quickly, so I aim lower which means I'm better at getting a shot on target, but they do a lot less damage.

Hubble

CS is very fascinating. Back in the day, you can play in a lot of fun servers and have a good time with a lot of casuals or regulars. Now the bar is high and almost everyone is good. The game has also changed.

Play with people way better than you as often as you can and accept it as a learning experience, as frustrating as it may be at times.

jambo

CS is very fascinating. Back in the day, you can play in a lot of fun servers and have a good time with a lot of casuals or regulars. Now the bar is high and almost everyone is good. The game has also changed.

There are still casual servers, plus stuff like deathmatch, gungame and even surfing and heaps of other mods.

CSGO isn't just 100% comp matchmaking

zogged

For me it was become the game I play at lans for funsies with friends, playing online has swiftly taught me that it's not the kind of game that I'll actually want to git gud at.

Zero2kz

230 hours. I have my sensitivity set to max and use the 4:3 widescreen to get a bigger view on who I'm shooting. I don't have any issue with aiming other than my Ping being in the 60s and really can't do anything about it other than switching ISP.

How do you play with max sens? That is crazy.

There was a point in time where I played with 400 DPI and 3.0 ingame sense and going back to that now it feels insanely fast. Now I play 400 DPI with 1.6 in game.

Mman235

Lower your sensitivity.

Now lower it more.

No, more.

I'm still bad but after years of barely feeling like I was getting anywhere with it realising that you need low sensitivity (when I always took having your sensitivity as high as you can handle as a given) to aim well suddenly made things start to make sense and is the single biggest change I've ever made since first playing CS.

prag16

Banned
Hahaha, a couple dozen hours isn't gonna do jack squat. I played the original a few hundred hours in college and I was I guess decent, but a few years later I jumped into Source cold and rusty, and was I'd say well below decent, haha. Global Offensive I've only played a bit (after another layoff of several years), and I'm outright "bad" at this point. It is what it is.

This isn't CoD where you can just memorize spawn patterns and leverage a connection advantage to stomp people (like the big youtubers do).

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Lower mouse sensitivity. Learn maps and call outs. Learn cross hair placement for head height and how to properly hold it when coming around blind spots. Spend time learning the spray patterns of the commonly used guns. Play with people you enjoy playing with - randoms are frustrating because they are usually one of or few of the following: 1. Unruly, 2. Racist/Bigoted, 3. Refuse to eco, 4. 12 years old, 5. Smurfs/deranker/cheater, or troll.

No matter how bad you are, remember that anyone better than you is cheating. Truth fact.

Maffis

I've always found that the AWP ruins the fun for me. Basically everyone camping with 1-hit kills and then back to 3 min respawn made me switch over to TF2 instead.

eot

Banned
2 weeks is nothing, sorry to say.
There are a lot of things to learn that simply take lots of time. Playing well is a lot about positioning, crosshair placement and most of all being able to anticipate what other players are going to do.

Steejee

As another 'I was pretty good in CS .6b' oldie, I've found that Gun Game is a pretty good way to practice. Low stress, fast, and lets you practice with all the guns to an extent (and to learn how much you hate using a shotgun). Obviously it won't help you with map memorization for the traditional bomb/defuse setup, but it does help with general skill.

Another thing that you always need to do in anything in life is review every failure, death in the game's case, and work out why you failed there. If you die in the game, mentally go through what would have worked different. In some cases, it can come down to a bit of headshot or dumb luck, but in most cases there's a lesson to be learned from every death, be it routing, positioning, weapon choice, etc.

eot

Banned
They're just old games. I went back and just couldn't do it. The gameplay, the graphics, it's outdated.

Sometimes, you just have to move on and CSGO is the natural step.

Haha, no. Just no.

Or just play Quake for a few months. After that, CS'll be a breeze.

Quake duel is harder than CS, but tbh skills don't really transfer between those games. Timing items, zoning off areas, forcing spawns etc. are really important skills in Q3 that have no relevance in CS. Even the aiming is very different. CS players usually have really good Rail aim in Q3, but that's very different from say LG aim.

DrKelpo

Banned
What exactly do you expect? You play some matches and suddenly you are a pro? Do you like the game? Then it "clicked" if not it probably won't happen.

People have been playing GO (and every other Counter Strike) for years now.

yeah, this... i played cs for 10-15 years, a huge part of that for a few hours a day and still didnt consider myself being near pro-skill.

if you like it, keep playing.

psn

Playing since 1.5, around 1800 hrs in 1.6 and 1200 in CS:S, now around 1400 in CS:GO and I am always ranked between Supreme and Global Elite. Even tho its hard, CS:GO is way easier to learn than 1.6 IMO and relies much much less on netsettings and your connection than 1.6, which is a good thing.
Today you have thousands of tutorials, hints (for example flashes / smokes and crosshair placement) you can watch. There are even servers where you can train your aim and your recoil. Play always with teammates and watch pro games from time to time. It takes some time to get better. In a few months you will See x)

JimmyJones

Banned
I've only started getting into competitive recently. I'm a silver 4 with 28 wins and would consider myself okay at it. Communication is the way to win games.

Top Bottom