• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CS:GO is Hard as Fuck to Be "Decent" At

RefigeKru

Banned
Used to play Source a lot like 7 years ago and I bought CS:GO a year or so back but never played it. About 2 months ago I started to play lots of Deathmatch and doing the missions - since there aren't any at the moment I've been playing the Competitive and tbh I think I've only had 1 really difficult game.

Get called a smurf a lot, honestly think the game just didn't rank me properly to begin with. After my 10th win I was Silver 4, after my 16th I'm now at Silver Elite Master and usually carry the entire team.

tl;dr
git gud

Haha, good luck. Unless you're a prodigy, the learning curve is huge, because you're playing against people who are legitimately good at the game. That and thousands of hours of experience against beginners.

do meth

I disagree on the learning curve being huge. It just takes patience and twitch reflexes. It can be trained over time (you kind of have to "let go" and become one with the gun.... hohoho)

also meth

I played about 60 hours of it so far and I'm between bad and average at the game I'd say.

I really like the high skill ceiling that the game has. It makes sense to me why so many people spend thousands of hours playing it.

How do you play with max sens? That is crazy.

There was a point in time where I played with 400 DPI and 3.0 ingame sense and going back to that now it feels insanely fast. Now I play 400 DPI with 1.6 in game.

DId I said max? I meant 9.3. I haven't touched CSGO over two months and assumed the max sensitivity is 7 like most other Source games.

aeolist

Banned
CS has recoil mechanics that are totally different from any other shooter i've ever played

i ended up watching some videos and deciding that it really isn't the game for me

PreFire

Lol

Took me a year to be any good at 1.6
Felt like a god in source. Banned from so many pubs for "cheating". Kind of was, played Main-Invite in CAL and Cevo. And ESEA when CAL died. So I guess it wasn't fair for my competition. Lol I remember cs_office, leaving with kill/death like 110-12. Consistently
Cs:Go was more of the same but I've stopped playing since then.

You don't just get good in a two week span. Most of the people who play GO played Source before that, and maybe even 1.6. You're facing up against people who are actually good. It's not like COD, spray and pray won't work.

Learn the maps, play with people you know. Be tactical, don't just jump out in the open thinking you won't get killed. Shoot in bursts, don't spray. Try to stop when you're shooting, strafing and jumping will effect your shot.

Just have patience. Counterstrike series are twitch shooters. You don't develop twitch reflexes and reactions overnight. Practice makes perfect

Took me a month to become ok at it and 3 months to be above average now ill come in at 1-3 place on my team each game it takes time and a lot of patience but you will get better at it in time also not the most difficult online game I've played that game is still Warhawk.

Angry Fork

Watch this guys videos, they helped boost my skill tremendously once you recognize how to move, shoot, etc. effectively.

https://www.youtube.com/user/3kliksphilip/videos

He made some great basic tutorials and other good csgo videos on the effectiveness of various weapons and tactics.

Basically 1. pre-fire and always aim for head, 2. never run and shoot for almost every gun, 3. learn the recoil pattern for the guns you want to use so that if you spray you know how to pull down, 4. learn the call-outs for the maps and general areas people tend to go. 5. make sensitivity super low (like sub 2.0) in order to better aim at head/chest.

I'm gold nova 2 and let me give you some advice.

Teamwork and having a plan and a leader to communicate the plan is important.
Never panic. Always be thinking.
Always keep your crosshair at the point where it is most likely an enemy could appear from, and at head level.
Practice with the guns to learn spray patterns and how long you need to wait between taps/bursts to be accurate.
Watch some videos with basics about metagame and economy, and basic smokes and entry tactics for bombsites.
Realize that you will be matched against cheaters and smurfs and don't get frustrated. A team that works together and plays well can overcome a cheater or smurf, but its hard work.

Hip Hop

Haha, no. Just no.

It is. People are still looking at this game through a nostalgic lense. You had to have been there in order to appreciate the gameplay now.

Not that there is a bad thing in still playing the game in this day and age though.

I really hate the AWP nerf. Using the AWP while on offense is useless and having to rely on quick-scoping if there are no weapons near to be picked up. I hate the balancing in valve games in general it ruined TF2 for me. They instead listen to people who don't bother learning how to play. Grenades in CS is very effective and knowing where they go after being thrown makes your life much easier.

CS has recoil mechanics that are totally different from any other shooter i've ever played

i ended up watching some videos and deciding that it really isn't the game for me

The bullets travel above the crosshair in CS. So when you ever spray you pull down the mouse and aim around the chest to get headshots. While close up of course

Shadybiz

Just played this after not having picked it up in months. I am not...good. But, that's okay, it's still a damn fun game. 2 hours just went by without me realizing it. I did get told directly that I "kinda suck" by one kid. I accept that fact right now. I come from playing Call of Duty and Gears, so I kind of have a thick skin for this stuff. Just have to embrace the suck in the beginning, and improve on it.

eot

Banned
It is. People are still looking at this game through a nostalgic lense. You had to have been there in order to appreciate the gameplay now.

Not that there is a bad thing in still playing the game in this day and age though.

Do you wanna give a concrete example of a way in which the gameplay is dated?

vocab

A game with a higher skill ceiling and incredible depth can be appreciated any decade in time. I never played brood war competitive ly but I know it was much more difficult, and way more complex than starcraft 2. Original cs was simple to learn hard to master. Csgo is a weaker game mechanicaly, lower skill ceiling, fucked up pistol balance, and horrible visual clarity where maps are cluttered with useless shit that give CTS even more of an advantage.

The gameplay of original cs is unmatched to this day and csgo is basically an emulation of that. To say its outdated is hilarious. What's outdated is the cod4 clones shitting up the market with anti competitive mechanics all to satisfy the instant gratification xbl babies who care about kd.

A tactical game where you have to manage money, grenades, ammo and recoil is obviously outdated today, but only because the end users of today are completely lazy fucks who refuse to get good when they expect to be winning from the beginning.

Tybolt

Banned
Do you wanna give a concrete example of a way in which the gameplay is dated?

The "your gun is pretty much a wiggly mess if you shoot while moving (or shoot more than once)" mechanic was novel in the early days of the genre when your weapons were just tubes that did different damage, for one thing. Now that we have much better gunplay, what CS provides feels strange and comical.

Also, getting blind headshotted through cover courtesy of wallbanging is only funny the first time. CS's learning curve is only one part mechanics and at least five parts learning the maps, hiding places, and what shoots through what. There's also an element of luck, like aiming mid-spray and hoping that your bullet pattern includes something close to where you're actually aiming, or that during your AWP contesting that latency is on your side. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the stupid chaos, but it's still stupid chaos. It was a little different when this was the only contender for a realistic shooter.

vocab

The "your gun is pretty much a wiggly mess if you shoot while moving" mechanic was novel in the early days of the genre when your weapons were just tubes that did different damage, for one thing. Now that we have much better gunplay, what CS provides feels strange and comical.

Aside from cs, and r6 there wasn't any fps games that tried to be realistic with recoil. How is it novel? Please provide evidence about its novelty compared to a modern shooter where recoil is anything but realistic. Is a shotgun acting as a sniper rifle realistic? It must be because I was promised realism.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think CS is the only game that i quit playing because it was so annoying to die sometimes. I dont know how long i played it, but maybe on and off for some years. I havnt played CS in maybe 6+ years now. Its a really cool game if you can play decent/good, but some of the deaths can also be so frustrating hehe :\

THEaaron

Played a little ambitious 1.6 for about 10 years and I'm already legendary eagle master in CSGO. Supreme shouldn't be too far away. (have about 100hrs on CSGO)

Thing is: the ranked matches with randoms are total random stuff. If you don't know the default tactics and attack patterns on certain spots (like b split on dust2) you're having a bad time as a terrorist.

I wouldn't bother trying too hard, because you won't get better that way. Look up some matches and try to figure out when they attack and why they attack a specific spot. Learn the grenades and the positions. Learn to position yourself.

Counter-Strike is a hell of a game to master but it is certainly rewarding doing so.

Doing a headshot is one thing in CS but standing on the right spot at the right moment is the key to success.

NIN90

There's something for everyone in CS:GO, really. Be it MM, casual, AM, KZ, dm, gungame or surf. And every mode has its own little learning curve that also feeds into the overarching learning curve of CS.

I personally almost exclusively play KZ (basically, first person platforming in CS to put it in simple terms. There's a lot that goes into it like longjumps, bhops etc.) nowadays.

Yeah, the game "clicking" and you actually feeling like you're getting good is going to be a huge amount of time. CSGO is a huge commitment as far as competitive gaming goes. GO was my first, and now I'm coming up on 200 hours; I'm finally getting decent at the game. You'll also invest time in watching other people play, watching tutorial videos, learning flash and smoke placements, cross hair placements, spray patterns... yeah, it's a lot to take in and it takes time.

Pm impact, he gives lessons.

lmao

woolley

Overall I like playing the game but what feels like random bullet spray really gets annoying. There have been a lot of times where I was a couple of inches from someone and unloaded a clip and didn't hit them once, it just doesn't make sense how that would even be possible.

woolley

You have to learn the spray patterns, have a look on youtube, it will show you the different spray patterns for different weapons so when you do have to spray you can still be accurate.

I know the patterns stuff but it doesn't make it less dumb.

hamchan

Overall I like playing the game but what feels like random bullet spray really gets annoying. There have been a lot of times where I was a couple of inches from someone and unloaded a clip and didn't hit them once, it just doesn't make sense how that would even be possible.

It's not random. They are in a set pattern each time. Theoretically it's possible for some someone to control the spray to hit the exact or near exact spot every shot. So basically any missed shots are on you rather than the game.

woolley

CS with full auto hitting exactly where your crosshair is would make for an even dumber game.

I can see it if there a distance away but if I'm standing right next to someone there should be no way I don't hit them even once when aimed on them.

NIN90

I can see it if there a distance away but if I'm standing right next to someone there should be no way I don't hit them even once when aimed on them.

Well, I call bullshit on standing "couple of inches from someone and unloaded a clip and didn't hit them once". Standing right next to someone really is just a matter of holding mouse1 in this game unless you royally fuck up.

woolley

Why should there? That's not how real weapons work Woolley, if you started spraying a AK even with someone next to you there would be no guarentee you would hit them let alone kill them unless you yourself had control of the gun and knew how to control the recoil etc.

The recoil moves the shots but the bullets still go where your aiming. If I'm keeping the crosshairs on a target the bullets aren't going to magically fly off in a different direction that the gun isn't even pointing.

pastrami

The recoil moves the shots but the bullets still go where your aiming. If I'm keeping the crosshairs on a target the bullets aren't going to magically fly off in a different direction that the gun isn't even pointing.

You are either moving or your aim isn't as good as you think it is.

I think it's imperative in CS that you have a good first round with the pistols, if you do then you gain an advantage immediately.

Counterstrike is one of the only games I've ever played where clear momentum shifts can happen. When your team goes on a roll and wins 3 or 4 in a row it's extremely difficult for the other team to bounce back. But if they do they'll go on a roll immediately. Happens so often in CS.

CS:GO is difficult for me too. I am not used to standing still and shooting. Plus every map has it's tactics that you gotta learn. I play comp with friends, of which some are really really good so I follow their lead. However it's just an anxious mess to be in and it's frustrating that you feel like you don't really know what you're doing! I know the basics that every tutorial tells you, to say I know how to apply it properly is another thing, lol.

I was a very good player at cs 1.6, but then I started to play COD and BF3,4 Not long time ago I returned at cs 1.6 and was playing very bad.

Shooting at cs much more complex

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
After reading most of the posts so far CS:GO sounds like the opposite of fun. I've often considered jumping in. Then I read comments that make it sound like you have to dedicate your life to it like a full time job...just so u can hopefully not suck ass quite as badly against "pro" players who seemingly have the game jacked into their frontal cortex & temporal lobes 24/7.

Well it's an esport. Just like any other real sport you have to put in the time to get good at it, that's the point.
It's not catered to casuals. If you are not a competitive person than the game probably is not for you.

If you like competition and getting better at something than CSGO can be the most fun experience of any video game out there.

eot

Banned
The "your gun is pretty much a wiggly mess if you shoot while moving (or shoot more than once)" mechanic was novel in the early days of the genre when your weapons were just tubes that did different damage, for one thing. Now that we have much better gunplay, what CS provides feels strange and comical.

Also, getting blind headshotted through cover courtesy of wallbanging is only funny the first time. CS's learning curve is only one part mechanics and at least five parts learning the maps, hiding places, and what shoots through what. There's also an element of luck, like aiming mid-spray and hoping that your bullet pattern includes something close to where you're actually aiming, or that during your AWP contesting that latency is on your side. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the stupid chaos, but it's still stupid chaos. It was a little different when this was the only contender for a realistic shooter.

The gunplay is simply a matter of taste. I don't think Battlefield and CoD have better gunplay, they just focus on making it immediately gratifying, they make the guns easy to use and throw tons of visual feedback in your face. And yeah, you have to learn the maps really well. I'll accept that it's "dated" if by that you simply mean old school, but not "dated" with a negative connotation and I reject the idea that there's anything fundamentally wrong with 1.6's mechanics. The degree to which you can wallbang on certain maps might be a little unintuitive, I'll give you that, but I think it makes for a better game in most cases.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I was a very good player at cs 1.6, but then I started to play COD and BF3,4 Not long time ago I returned at cs 1.6 and was playing very bad.

Shooting at cs much more complex

The shooting isn't that complex. It's basically "stop, and crouch while burst firing so first-shot accuracy will hit the head." Basically doing the same as Call of Duty's "stop and pop" but in a different way.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
A shooter where you have to stand completely still just to be accurate is entirely counter-intuitive to me.

I remember reading something about CS being the CoD of it's time, made in an era where hitscan was a noobs weapon, and rocket jumping / leading shots was the mark of pros.

Attem

The shooting isn't that complex. It's basically "stop, and crouch while burst firing so first-shot accuracy will hit the head." Basically doing the same as Call of Duty's "stop and pop" but in a different way.

Not really. In CS each gun has a different spray pattern so learning to control the recoil is massive. AK For example first 5-6 bullets are pretty accurate but then you need to pull down a lot more and then start moving to the left to counter the spray going up towards the right.

Movement is one of the biggest things that sets apart players in CS, crouching makes you more accurate but it also makes you an easier target. If you try and counter strafe and do 2-3 bullet bursts you are a much harder target to hit (and hit boxes are dodgy as fuck when you move) whilst not loosing any curacy.

It is bizarre to me that people find "recoil" and "control of a weapon" to be such pffe dive gameplay designs.

Not every shooter should be cod laser beams. Even battlefield has some of the same mechanics for hipfire but drastically simplified and easier to manage.

Mahmutti

Neo Member
I think the learning curve is what makes CS:GO so much fun. I've got about 1000 hours played, I'm ranked Global Elite and there's still so much I can improve on.

You can focus on improving one thing for a week, and after the week is done you'll have improved. The game hasn't changed, you haven't "unlocked" anything, you've just gotten better. That feels so much more rewarding than unlocking a weapon in CoD or something.

I could absolutely destroy probably close to 99% of the player base, but there are still a lot of people out there that can absolutely destroy me. I love that.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Played CSS qiute a lot a couple years back and bought GO earlier this year when I got my new PC. Don't dig it at all. Being terrorist was always more difficult and I was surprised that they made it even more difficult as the AK sucks ass in GO. Ended up switching back to Souce pretty quick.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not really. In CS each gun has a different spray pattern so learning to control the recoil is massive. AK For example first 5-6 bullets are pretty accurate but then you need to pull down a lot more and then start moving to the left to counter the spray going up towards the right.

Movement is one of the biggest things that sets apart players in CS, crouching makes you more accurate but it also makes you an easier target. If you try and counter strafe and do 2-3 bullet bursts you are a much harder target to hit (and hit boxes are dodgy as fuck when you move) whilst not loosing any curacy.

No, I get that. But the functionality of CS's accuracy boils down to CoD's "stop and pop."

Walking is better than running and crouching is better than standing. Therefore: Crouching while walking or even standing still is better than running and standing.

Jumping while shooting is similar to other FPS's where the spray is completely inaccurate.

The only difference CS has over CoD is, as you say: The spray patterns. Which isn't going to factor in if you're going for 1-3 bullet shots to stop the full spray pattern. Spray pattern only comes in if you start to longer burst in full-auto. The first 1-5 shots on all guns in GO is pretty accurate. It's when you start to hold your burst for longer that the shot completely jumps off the target/head.

Played CSS qiute a lot a couple years back and bought GO earlier this year when I got my new PC. Don't dig it at all. Being terrorist was always more difficult and I was surprised that they made it even more difficult as the AK sucks ass in GO. Ended up switching back to Souce pretty quick.

lol wut. The AK-47 in GO is GDLK.

aeolist

Banned
It is bizarre to me that people find "recoil" and "control of a weapon" to be such pffe dive gameplay designs.

Not every shooter should be cod laser beams. Even battlefield has some of the same mechanics for hipfire but drastically simplified and easier to manage.

it's the way CS handles recoil that's the problem for me. i play tons of games that aren't CoD-style full auto run and gun and i don't even like CoD gunplay. CS is just different in a way i can't understand on a tactile level.

Deadbeat

Banned
It seems a lot of people got used to the ease of cod. When they went back to cs and got destroyed, well it couldnt be them its got to be the game. Antiquated, nostalgia, comical. Excuses from people that just suck now.

Top Bottom