• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cult of Chucky Trailer

Bloody Disgusting has posted a review from the Fright Fest screening. Sounds awesome.

Seventh films have no right to be this good or break this much new ground. Cult of Chucky takes this wild story in a whole host of new directions that franchise fans are sure to get a kick out of. There are so many batshit delights, especially as things escalate towards the finale, but to spoil them would be to ruin Mancini and co.’s grand carnival.

4/5

http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3455248/frightfest-review-cult-chucky-cements-franchise-one-best/

Sheroking

wtf it's actually good? Ok nice that it's coming to Netflix then. I missed a few movies but I guess that won't be an issue here. I think the last one I watched was Bride of Chucky

You'll need to find and watch Curse of Chucky first. This is a direct sequel featuring a major character from that movie.

It's good, so that shouldn't be a big problem.

I get the hate for Seed, but I'm surprised so many seem to dislike Bride. I thought that movie was a riot.

Bride was well shot, had a couple really good laughs, the most creative kills in the series and brought us, EASILY, the best Chucky design in the franchise.

I don't like seeing it lumped with Seed. Although I wouldn't even completely disregard Seed, because I love that they made Chucky realize he has no interest in being human again. The franchise moving away from that element of the story is EVERYTHING.

Just as long as Glen/Glenda stays the hell away.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I did a search and couldn't find anything, but I saw this today.
Piracy is nothing new in Hollywood, but it continues to be a big issue. One of the most recent movies to fall victim to piracy is Cult of Chucky, the forthcoming seventh installment of the Child's Play franchise. The movie recently leaked online in its entirety and director Don Mancini, as one might expect, is none too happy about it. Unfortunately for those who leaked Cult of Chucky online, Universal's lawyers aren't thrilled either.
https://www.google.com/amp/movieweb...ky-director-don-mancini-responds-online-leak/

I'd ignore social media news about the film because I've come across a few major spoilers searching for this article.

So it's leaked online before it's official release and I couldn't resist watching.

Wow, they were not kidding, it brings some big changes and I loved it. I can see some people maybe having a few issues with the changes but the rules on Voodoo haven't been very consistent throughout the series anyway, so I say just let it go and enjoy the ride, it's a hell of a lot of fun and the after credit scene is great, just like in Curse.

Looking forward to adding this to the blu-ray collection and hopefully the next film. :)

zeemumu

wtf it's actually good? Ok nice that it's coming to Netflix then. I missed a few movies but I guess that won't be an issue here. I think the last one I watched was Bride of Chucky

This seems to factor in the plot of Curse of Chucky so you might need to end up watching that one first. It's also a surprisingly good movie. It also factors in Seed of Chucky but that ones...not so great...all you need to know from Seed is that Tiffany possessed the body of Jennifer Tilly, so now Jennifer Tilly is playing Tiffany playing Jennifer Tilly who also happened to be playing Tiffany in a fictional Chucky film inside the real Chucky film.

Thought the Netflix coming soon thread said the 3rd. Ah well, better late than never.

Finally a good chucky movie. The first is still my favorite

Edit: 100% on Rotten Tomatoes from 6 reviews as of this posting!! Chucky is BACK

Chuckie

Finally a good chucky movie. The first is still my favorite

Edit: 100% on Rotten Tomatoes from 6 reviews as of this posting!! Chucky is BACK

Finally? They are all great!

Well not really of course.... but I have enjoyed them all so far.

Child's Play 2 is my favorite.

Also, how in the world if Jennifer Tilly 58?

Jennifer-Tilly-Curse-Of-Chucky-Cameo.jpg
She baths in the blood of her victims.

Razmos

This film was brilliant, watched it with my housemates who are big Chucky fans and their minds were blown by it

Farsi

This is probably my favorite chucky film. The only thing keeping me back from giving it that stamp is nostalgia for the first two CP movies.

I loved it, I loved it, I loved it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The positive feedback for this movie is bizarre to me. I mean, I guess maybe if you prefer a specific type of Chucky film. The movies have diverged into two different camps: 1) the straight up horror flicks like the first 3 movies, and 2) the self-aware black comedies like Bride and Seed. This movie is of the latter variety. If you like that sort of thing, then this new movie will probably be right up your alley. Me personally, I hated it, which is very disappointing since I thought Curse of Chucky was great and a return to form. Also, it doesn't help that this movie
completely nullifies Chucky's acceptance of his doll body that was established in Seed of Chucky.

It's like Mancini doesn't know what the hell he wants to do with the series.

The positive feedback for this movie is bizarre to me. I mean, I guess maybe if you prefer a specific type of Chucky film. The movies have diverged into two different camps: 1) the straight up horror flicks like the first 3 movies, and 2) the self-aware black comedies like Bride and Seed. This movie is of the latter variety. If you like that sort of thing, then this new movie will probably be right up your alley. Me personally, I hated it, which is very disappointing since I thought Curse of Chucky was great and a return to form. Also, it doesn't help that this movie
completely nullifies Chucky's acceptance of his doll body that was established in Seed of Chucky.

Trouble is, Chucky isn't really scary anymore, after this many sequels we all know what's going to happen and the idea of a killer doll is ridiculous, so he's just going all out on the idea now and while not perfect, it works and I think this is a fine follow up to Curse, Taking things in a different direction, something which will allow for at least one more movie.

Trouble is, Chucky isn't really scary anymore, after this many sequels we all know what's going to happen and the idea of a killer doll is ridiculous, so he's just going all out on the idea now and while not perfect, it works and I think this is a fine follow up to Curse, Taking things in a different direction, something which will allow for at least one more movie.
I'm not a big fan of the latter movies, but think this is fair. They don't really have anywhere else to go but continue the self-parody schtick.

Although a scary clown movie remake was just a big hit, so why not a doll?

I'm not a big fan of the latter movies, but think this is fair. They don't really have anywhere else to go but continue the self-parody schtick.

I'd say Cult is a good mix of horror and parody and is a very solid entry in the series still, even though it's not super scary anymore but the gore is given a boost for this one, some great kills on offer.

Shame this didn't get a theatrical release tbh but if they keep making them at this level, I'll keep watching them on blu-ray.

I'm with you. Was not a fan of this movie at all and I love the Child's Play series. The positive feedback is a little baffling to me. Whilst I can admire the series going in a new direction it doesn't really fit with what I want out of the series. It's definitely embracing the dark comedy vibe more than it is the horror elements and that's not what I want out of the series personally, though it's not surprising following the other films. Maybe that's what they feel they must do to keep it refreshing but I was honestly bored by this movie for the majority of the middle.

What I did like was the after credits scene. Spoilers for that:
So awesome to see Kyle!
Also liked seeing
Andy
with a bigger role.

If you like dumb as fuck horror-comedies with absurd plots then you'll like this I think. The kills can be fun and the story does continue well. For me though, it didn't do much but it's always nice to see Chucky on screen again. Will watch the next films if they come.

I generally like Chucky movies and found Curse of Chucky absolutely fantastic, but, if I'm being frank, the worst part about most of the best Chucky movies has always been Chucky's dialogue. It's always sounded like a lame rip-off of Freddy Krueger humor. Nowhere is that more apparent than in "Cult" wherein the best moments of the film are diminished by almost anytime Chucky says anything. He didn't annoy me as much in Curse because more of his dialogue focused on serious monologue/occasionally talking about how there is no god. This time though, there's more attempts at the jokey stuff and it undermines the best moments.

His screaming when he's trying to kill someone has always bugged the hell out of me too, but that was more a problem with the earlier entries.

zeemumu

A doll as the main antagonist is difficult to make scary. They're scary when you don't see them move, and that was the last time Chucky was actually unsettling. If you go back and watch the first film, you don't really see him move unless it's from first person or he's doing the standard doll actions. That's why Annabelle doesn't really move and that's why the dummies in Dead Silence never directly moved on their own beyond shifting eyes.

Wasn't Curse of Chucky good as well?

Yeah it was very good, a lot of people seemed to like it anyway. Personally I enjoy them all, although 3 and Seed are the worst of the bunch.

If I had to rank all the movies now, I'd say

Childs Play
Childs Play 2
Curse of Chucky / Cult of Chucky
Bride of Chucky
Childs Play 3
Seed of Chucky

I need to watch Cult a few more times to see if I like it more than Curse, it's close between them though.

blitz64

Cult of chucky is now available in USA netflix.

I saw it last night and think it is pretty good. I have a few spoiler questions that I like to discuss, maybe in another spoiler thread.

norm9

Yeah it was very good, a lot of people seemed to like it anyway. Personally I enjoy them all, although 3 and Seed are the worst of the bunch.

If I had to rank all the movies now, I'd say

Childs Play
Childs Play 2
Curse of Chucky / Cult of Chucky
Bride of Chucky
Childs Play 3
Seed of Chucky

I need to watch Cult a few more times to see if I like it more than Curse, it's close between them though.

My list is similar except for a switcheroo.

CP1
Bride of Chucky
CP2/Curse of Chucky
Seed and 3 round out the bottom.

I'm going to leave out Cult as I fell asleep watching it last night but will rewatch tonight.

Cult of chucky is now available in USA netflix.

I saw it last night and think it is pretty good. I have a few spoiler questions that I like to discuss, maybe in another spoiler thread.

Darn, should have checked netflix first. Rented it on amazon for 5 bucks.

joe2187

Banned
Voodoo is some powerful shit.

This was a great chucky flick, though Im concerned over
how fucking OP they just made chucky all of a sudden. He's moved on from curse to downright plague levels of mayhem....what's next? New Chuck City?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Watched this tonight. Overall I liked it. Same issue I had with Curse of Chucky, where I really liked the first 2/3rds of the movie and then it just went too off the rails for my tastes. But when this movie was kinda holding itself back a little, I loved it. I'd say they play into the mythology too much, to the detriment of the movie we're currently watching. This movie lacked any type of catharsis or even some final oomph to close it out.

I'd say it's worth a watch or rental at the very least. Hats off to the creative team though, they did a great job on a modest budget.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Damn this was good. The last third was just bonkers and brought a lot of new things, never seen before in this franchise. Acting was great, directing was great (love the splitscreen), and the writing was on point. Perfect mix of horror and humor.

norm9

Rewatched this last night. Fantastic overall. Kooky cast of characters. Nica still solid as a lead. Chucky is hilariously snarky and vicious as usual with a little bit of heart which was great.

Ramps up quick and keeps going and then veers into insanity which was great. Many shocking moments involving Chucky
when the second Chucky doll entered the picture, i was as freaked out as Nica

Finally, poor poor
Andy. Not the way he should have gone out. I'm actually a bit mad a day later, still.

Boke1879

Rewatched this last night. Fantastic overall. Kooky cast of characters. Nica still solid as a lead. Chucky is hilariously snarky and vicious as usual with a little bit of heart which was great.

Ramps up quick and keeps going and then veers into insanity which was great. Many shocking moments involving Chucky
when the second Chucky doll entered the picture, i was as freaked out as Nica

Finally, poor poor
Andy. Not the way he should have gone out. I'm actually a bit mad a day later, still.

He was the biggest fucking dumbass in this whole movie.

norm9

He was the biggest fucking dumbass in this whole movie.

Absolutely, and he was advertised as a badass. I don't know how he didn't think this through. All that isolation must have messed him up, along with the whole being tormented by chucky his whole life.

The youtube video of him in the shrink's office trying to convince the guy the head was alive by shooting the chucky head over and over before being getting kicked out was pretty hilarious though.

Xemnas89

Just watched it last night and thought it was pretty good. To me it was like curse of chucky where the first two thirds of the movie were good then went a bit to far in the final stretch. One thing you can tell is that don mancini learned alot from his time working on Hannibal and brought it here.

This was okay enough to be interested in the next sequel.

I also think Fiona Dourif should probably be getting better opportunities from here on out. She's good.

hampig

As somebody who's only seen Curse and Cult, I thought it was OK. I don't get why Chucky
can possess anybody he wants with like 5 words, yet he decides to not take advantage of that like, at all.

Other than that it was fine. There's a whole lot of Chucky in this one, which was cool.

phanphare

Banned
just finished watching it

I loved it. love love love. especially coming off of curse. thought the movie was extremely well paced, they drip fed the "oh shit" moments perfectly, those "oh shit" moments were really great in the context of the series, the kills were great. good stuff.

Poppy

its been a long while since i watched a chucky movie, this was surprisingly not the worst and i liked it, even if its still a bit stupid and exploitative at times

i didnt think it broke any particularly new ground in slasher movies but it wasn’t bad. trashy fun that wasn’t bottom of the barrel quality

also that hannibal shoutout lol

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
the only two child's play movies I've ever seen were the first one and this one.. both last weekend.

first one - perfectly fine 80's horror movie. Not omg awesome, but no regrets watching it. Was pretty fun aside from Chris Sarandon's awful New York accent.

cult - I actually liked the first one a little better. Jennifer Tilly's character was a little annoying here, but the main chick was decent. Chucky spreading himself out was ok, though I wish at some point they would have turned on one and killed him. Maybe that would have been predictable.

I don't know that I would go back and watch either.. they didn't leave that kind of mark on me. But for horror movies I've never seen before and wanting to get my quota in for the month I'm still glad I watched them, and overall did enjoy both.

the only two child's play movies I've ever seen were the first one and this one.. both last weekend.

first one - perfectly fine 80's horror movie. Not omg awesome, but no regrets watching it. Was pretty fun aside from Chris Sarandon's awful New York accent.

cult - I actually liked the first one a little better. Jennifer Tilly's character was a little annoying here, but the main chick was decent. Chucky spreading himself out was ok, though I wish at some point they would have turned on one and killed him. Maybe that would have been predictable.

I don't know that I would go back and watch either.. they didn't leave that kind of mark on me. But for horror movies I've never seen before and wanting to get my quota in for the month I'm still glad I watched them, and overall did enjoy both.

If you enjoyed the first one, you should check out Child's Play 2.

Top Bottom