• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead New Bosses and Shop Gameplay Revealed

Soltype

Easily the best looking game I've seen in a long time,graphically and game play wise.We need more real action games from indies, hopefully this starts a trend.

It is when you are the type of person who cares about funding projects that appeal to you. You lacking that intuition and self interest to get better games that serve you is your own prerogative. It's fine if you feel you are being satisfied with what the games market can produce now but some of us will want a game like Cuphead to be polished and hope it has a stable development environment in order to get that polish.

Im a consumer, not an investor. If the game isnt polished, I wont buy it. There are other polished games to buy instead. Nothing exists in a vaccum.

Besides, im kinda scratching how my praise of the game has now been twisted into something else entirely. What point are you actually trying to make here?

I fully appreciate what you are saying here. However, as a consumer none of that is my problem.

This is an enthusiast forum, so if may seem a bit out of keeping to not really be bothered about the making of a game or the sacrifices the developer has to go through but It is what it is.

I see a game like Cuphead and I want to buy it. It screams quailty to me and I will reward the developers on release, even though its on a platform that I barely buy any content for.

Pixel art indie shooters/ platformer look like shit to me. I have no interest in them and wish that more developers would aspire to creating something visually impressive like cuphead. Of course the devs arent trying to show anyone up, but that doesn't change the fact that clearly they are.

I understand that for many that is not feasible and that is totally fine, but im not going to figuratively pat them on the back, say "there there, at least you tried" and buy their game anyway. Nope. It looks shit. I dont want it.

Thats all im getting at. If Cuphead is as successful as it deserves to be, then maybe indies that can afford to play with artsyles will feel emboldened to do so, rather than just follow the eaiser route of emulating a "retro" artstyle with pixel art. Thats all I meant when I said take note.

"pixel art is shit"
"ok"
"if you have a problem with me say it to my face"
"ok, I have a problem with you"
"no u"

"pixel art is shit"
"ok"
"if you have a problem with me say it to my face"
"ok, I have a problem with you"
"no u"

What on earth are you talking about?

Been hyped for this for a while. Still looking fantastic.

I mean, was it as bad as casually devaluing an entire art style that many people love?

I dont have to like things because other people do.

I think the majority of pixel art games look like crap. Maybe it was unfair to not specfically preface my comment with a disclaimer that it is my opinion only, but I feel that should go without saying.

You are just as free to disagree.

How dare you.

Im going to be as tactful as I possibly can in response to this.

I hope you find a audience for your project.

Cuphead looks so good, but I know I'm going to be awful at it. Easy mode is a great idea for people like me who are shit at shoot em' ups

Looks amazing. Of course the art is awesome, but the gameplay is totally for people like me who love challenging boss fights with tons of patterns and forms and I love the rich mechanics, like the dash and parry.

Can't wait to see the other bosses and gameplay and while I wasn't one of those 'it needs platform levels' people, I'm interested in seeing those as well.

Hope there is a cartoon spider boss in there somewhere.

Could be a GotY contender for me.

Warxard

Banned

You know it's perfect possible to express your preferences regarding something without being a complete jackass about it.

"This is a breath of fresh air compared to the other similar looking platformers I've seen from independents."

But do you, man.

eso76

But it comes with a great game attached, I promise!

I'm sure :)
I hope the game is mega successful for you guys; I'll be doing my part.

I was wondering, in fact..
Say cuphead is successful and you have the chance to work on a sequel with a much larger staff, how would you expand the IP ?
Would a sequel look more like Megaman or, say, Monster World IV in structure ?
That's hypothetical of course, I'd imagine you'd like to explore other genres and artstyles next.

gelf

Art is gorgeous and as a guy who loves challenging boss fights it seems like the game is made for me. I just hope the platforming doesn't feel too tacked on, like it's only there to appease the anti boss fight crowd.

bidguy

Banned
holy shit they really changed the game since reveal havent they ? overworld,shop, upgrades ?

this looks incredible

GRaider81

What on earth are you talking about?

I dont have to like things because other people do.

I think the majority of pixel art games look like crap. Maybe it was unfair to not specfically preface my comment with a disclaimer that it is my opinion only, but I feel that should go without saying.

You are just as free to disagree.

Maybe just use better language. You come across extremely immature and hostile.

It's cool to not like a particular art style or whatever but just dismissing others you don't like as Shit or crap just makes you look a jackass.

As for Cuphead it does indeed look excellent, though still unsure about gameplay at this moment.

Glad it's coming to Steam too.

weekev

Banned
But it comes with a great game attached, I promise!

Honestly the best looking game i have seen probably in the past 5 or 6 years. Great job! The single most compelling reason I have seen to buy an Xbox and I bought a PS4 to play Rocket League (I know I know at this point I should just get a decent PC)

Teeth

Which brother is Teeth?

Who you calling brother, friend?

I'm sure :)
I hope the game is mega successful for you guys; I'll be doing my part.

I was wondering, in fact..
Say cuphead is successful and you have the chance to work on a sequel with a much larger staff, how would you expand the IP ?
Would a sequel look more like Megaman or, say, Monster World IV in structure ?
That's hypothetical of course, I'd imagine you'd like to explore other genres and artstyles next.

It's unlikely the team will grow much, if at all. We're a pretty good size at the moment and things get tougher to control with more people on board.

As for sequel, we're not even sure if there will be one now. We've been able to jam a lot of the previously only dreamed of features in the base game now. There's a chance the next game would just be something new. Kinda like what Supergiant Games does.

holy shit they really changed the game since reveal havent they ? overworld,shop, upgrades ?

this looks incredible

All that stuff has been planned since the beginning, just hadn't been shown til now.

I really want to work on this project, as it looks like an incredible experience.

Do you like extremely long hours and low pay :p

Blues1990

Do you like extremely long hours and low pay? :p
Eh, it wouldn't be too different from my previous design & storyboard jobs, so long as I can learn, earn, and get new contacts. Of course, I always make sure the job is on the level, along with seeing the guy offering me the job doesn't weasel himself/herself out to not paying me for my work.

My friend said her friend is one of the assistant animators on Cuphead, which is why I've been hovering on the job page to see if you guys are hiring.

Seriously, are you guys looking to hire more people for this project? I'm looking to freelance at this time, as my next contract doesn't start until June.

i really hope this plays as good as it looks and doesn't become another one of those style over substance indie games, we got hundreds of those.

eso76

As for sequel, we're not even sure if there will be one now. There's a chance the next game would just be something new.

Yeah, yeah i know from your recent interviews that ideally, you would like to explore new things with each game.

It was just a hypothetical situation, but you probably haven't even thought of it yet.

Top Bottom