• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead out September 29th for $19.99 (XB1/Windows 10 and Steam)

BashNasty

It's a fair point, but I'm a cynic ;)

Unfortunately your point of, "something seems fishy if there's a review embargo... the devs are trying to hide something" comes up every single time there's a review embargo on a game. And games, be they AAA or indie, just about always have review embargos up until release.

People need to get it through their heads that review embargos have absolutely nothing to do with the developer/publisher's perceived quality of the game and everything to do with marketing. Game makers want you to be able to read a review then immediately buy the game. If someone who is casually into games reads a great review (something I expect Cuphead to get plenty of), decides, "I want this game", but then goes to Steam/Xbox live and realizes they can't buy it for a week, they're very likely to forget about the game altogether. That seems like a pretty intuitive concept to me, but every time you have a close-to-release embargo you get a chorus of people saying, "hmmm, shady devs... must be a stinker". It gets pretty annoying.

Lose the cynicism people. It's not smart to be a cynic, it's just bad for your health.

Unfortunately your point of, "something seems fishy if there's a review embargo... the devs are trying to hide something" comes up every single time there's a review embargo on a game. And games, be they AAA or indie, just about always have review embargos up until release.

People need to get it through their heads that review embargos have absolutely nothing to do with the developer/publisher's perceived quality of the game and everything to do with marketing. Game makers want you to be able to read a review then immediately buy the game. If someone who is casually into games reads a great review (something I expect Cuphead to get plenty of), decides, "I want this game", but then goes to Steam/Xbox live and realizes they can't buy it for a week, they're very likely to forget about the game altogether. That seems like a pretty intuitive concept to me, but every time you have a close-to-release embargo you get a chorus of people saying, "hmmm, shady devs... must be a stinker". It gets pretty annoying.

Lose the cynicism people. It's not smart to be a cynic, it's just bad for your health.
This. It's a different story when the game is withheld from critics altogether (though not always), but letting reviews go up the night before/day of is not a grand conspiracy. It makes sense marketing wise in most cases.

paulogy

Apparently, there's 25-30 bosses and 7-8 run and gun stages. We don't know the exact number, though.

What an odd balance. I know initially the game was all bosses and no stages, but that's still interesting to me. Do the run-and-gun stages culminate with any of the bosses, or are they all separate?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
SNES mini in hand and cuphead later today, and it's payday. It'll be a good day me thinks.

What an odd balance. I know initially the game was all bosses and no stages, but that's still interesting to me. Do the run-and-gun stages culminate with any of the bosses, or are they all separate?
From the gameplay vids I've seen they look like separate levels that are made to grind coins. I don't think they end with a boss.

C4Lukins

Not out at 12:20 central time. I assume it will be midnight Pacific time which is an hour and 37 minutes from now.

Stranya

I take your point, but movie reviews tend to come out at least a week in advance.

On topic, hoping Cuphead turns out good - not sure about the boss-rush focus.

I take your point, but movie reviews tend to come out at least a week in advance.
Well, you need to book movie tickets anyway, so the ideal of "read the review, proceed to buy and enjoy" is impossible there unless there's zero premiere buzz. Not so with a game, especially digital one.

Top Bottom