• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cursed Mountain [Wii] New Trailer

Metroid

I don´t find the controls / combat that bad. I think it´s alright. Reminds me a bit of RE4(movement) and Silent Hill (combat)

Amalthea

Banned
The fact that enemies can attack you while you are healing is really stupid but I use a simple trick: Most battles wich involved a healing shrine had a bigger battle-area than usual, so if you can shift the battle away from the shrine as much as possible so you will be able to run to the shrine so you can heal yourself while the enemies try to catch up with you.

The very nature of the plot and genre really has caught my interest. This will probably be one of my first Wii games, even though it seems there are some very poor combat decisions. How is the pacing in the game?

scitek

jrricky said:
Is this not normal?

When you heal, you are forced to stand in place for about 5 seconds and completely unable to move. Meanwhile the boss I'm at has a dash attack that covers about 15 feet in a second and drains about half my health with one hit. My health only goes up about half-way with a single healing, so he'll hit me once, completely canceling the first one out, then kill me before I can ever move again.

There's no quick-turn like in RE4 despite the controls otherwise being very similar, so you have to take a second and get the proper view of whatever you want to shoot or hit before doing it. The game really needs a quick-turn. And the pace of the game is incredibly sluggish.
There was one section of the game where I was "drugged" and I had to follow someone, but they make you walk literally 2 minutes down a path at half your normal walking speed with the person you're following constantly repeating "What matter you?!" "Hurry!" etc., AND all the while, the controller never stopped vibrating. It was really annoying.

To me, it's just the combat that's gotta go, the atmosphere and stuff is fine otherwise.

Ive always liked the idea of being attacked while healing. Ive never really been a fan of instant healing outside of a platformer. It makes for a more tense atmosphere.

scitek

abstract alien said:
Ive always liked the idea of being attacked while healing. Ive never really been a fan of instant healing outside of a platformer. It makes for a more tense atmosphere.

I'm not against the idea, only when they force you to stand there while doing it. At least let me cancel out of my action and run away to have a chance at defending myself.

scitek said:
I'm not against the idea, only when they force you to stand there while doing it. At least let me cancel out of my action and run away to have a chance at defending myself.
Is the game set up in a way that, if you know enemy patterns and whatnot, its a high chance you wont take damage, similar to the older resident evils? I could run through those without getting hit because of the balance in design. Is this the say way, or does it seem to be at this point?

Amalthea

Banned
abstract alien said:
Is the game set up in a way that, if you know enemy patterns and whatnot, its a high chance you wont take damage, similar to the older resident evils? I could run through those without getting hit because of the balance in design. Is this the say way, or does it seem to be at this point?

It's not as easy but it could be possible.

scitek

abstract alien said:

Yeah, it seems that way. It seems like if you have to heal, you're most likely going to die during it. So, it would be best to just not get hurt.

This is the first boss I'm on, mind you, but he also has ghosts that come out and help him. So, it's not so much the boss himself hitting me and causing me to get hit, but rather the ghosts which can teleport behind you unexpectedly and hit you that way.

Tyrant_Onion said:
It's not as easy but it could be possible.

scitek said:
Yeah, it seems that way. It seems like if you have to heal, you're most likely going to die during it. So, it would be best to just not get hurt.

Hmm...so healing should primarily be kept for instances where there are no foreseeable dangers around? Anything other than that, and you are running a risk of doing more harm that good?

It seems like a system I would enjoy, but I cant deny that Im probably one of the few.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
abstract alien said:
Hmm...so healing should primarily be kept for instances where there are no foreseeable dangers around? Anything other than that, and you are running a risk of doing more harm that good?

It seems like a system I would enjoy, but I cant deny that Im probably one of the few.
With an avatar like that, I'm sure you enjoy a challenge in your games.

I don't like to come into a game thinking "it should work this way", because it usually leads to disappointment. I like to play it how the creator wanted it to be played, and with an open mind.

scitek

abstract alien said:

Ha, I thought the same thing about the avatar. The first VJ was fucking insane for me on Adult.

But yeah, its something you have to kind of plan for, which is okay, I guess, but if you ever get hit twice in a battle, it's almost like you're better off just killing yourself and starting over.

I will give the game credit for originality, though. The setting is really cool (ha), and the atmosphere is something definitely missing a lot in more recent horror titles. The combat may be clunky, but I think the point is that you're supposed to want to avoid the ghosts as much as possible, hence the ranged attack. It does suck that they block off exits and force you to fight the ghosts as often as they do, though.

FootNinja said:
With an avatar like that, I'm sure you enjoy a challenge in your games.
scitek said:
Ha, I thought the same thing about the avatar.

Ive been had! Haha, you two are completely right though. I like it brutal...fair, but brutal. It shouldnt be difficult due to poor design or cheap AI.

Hey scitek, you got a video review cooking for this one? Your conduit review was probably the most honest, knowledgeable, and no-bullshit review Ive experienced in years. Just curious.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thanks a lot for the impressions guys. Seems like its turning out as expected. I can't wait until I can import, as I doubt it's going to get an AU release. Any idea how long it is?

scitek

abstract alien said:
Hey scitek, you got a video review cooking for this one? Your conduit review was probably the most honest, knowledgeable, and no-bullshit review Ive experienced in years. Just curious.

I do, that's why I picked it up early. Hopefully I can have the game finished in a day or two, butI'm moving at the same time, so it's a little hectic right now.

scitek said:
I do, that's why I picked it up early. Hopefully I can have the game finished in a day or two, butI'm moving at the same time, so it's a little hectic right now.
Nice. Ill be picking it up anyway(this tuesday right?), but I really like your review style, and would love to see more, especially with the smaller titles that often get overlooked such as this one.

GC|Simon

I finally arrived at the first boss. Shit, this is frustrating. Healing seems to be complete senseless... any tips? Much thanks in advance!!

GC|Simon

I beat the first boss today. Here my strategy for others:
Always run around (in circles) and stopp sometimes to shoot at the raven. As soon as he heals hitself you can destroy those pillars. Just destroy them all and always keep running around. After destroying the pillars you should concentrate on the raven again. Just run around and shoot at the raven from time to time. Ignore the ghosts.

The graphics are sometimes very good and sometimes not so good. It depends on the level. I'm now at a monastery and I still like the game. The atmosphere is great and the story is interesting. The first boss was a little bit frustrating and I think there are some frustrating things in the game, but they are rare.

I hope that the gameplay will change a little bit soon. Until now I'm just walking around and fight some ghosts from time to time. Now there need to be some puzzles or more climbing. I'd love to climb around.

Well finished this just a few hours ago. I feel mixed on it. It does nothing really good but I feel it doesnt do anything really bad. Its just sorta there. For anyone wanting to know, there really isn't any real puzzles in the game. Mostly find this and go there. The levels are pretty neat in how they sorta mix them up considering your on a moutain the whole time. While the combat is fun, fighting just ghosts the whole time is going to make some people bored.

Overall enjoyed it and its obviosuly why I was able to keep at it and beat it. I wanted to see the conclusion bad enough. Anyone interested I would recommend a rent unless your a hardcore horror fan, then a purchase.

Dascu

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well finished this just a few hours ago. I feel mixed on it. It does nothing really good but I feel it doesnt do anything really bad. Its just sorta there. For anyone wanting to know, there really isn't any real puzzles in the game. Mostly find this and go there. The levels are pretty neat in how they sorta mix them up considering your on a moutain the whole time. While the combat is fun, fighting just ghosts the whole time is going to make some people bored.

Overall enjoyed it and its obviosuly why I was able to keep at it and beat it. I wanted to see the conclusion bad enough. Anyone interested I would recommend a rent unless your a hardcore horror fan, then a purchase.
How's the length and difficulty curve?

Played for about an hour and I'm not enjoying it so far. Much too slow paced and the "party like it's 1999" tank controls and combat system really show their age. I'll give it another hour or so but what I've experienced so far has been a snoozefest.

Dascu said:
How's the length and difficulty curve?

Game starts off extremely easy, I'd say a little over half way and the ghosts start getting faster, more deadly, and more on screen to fight.

The game only probably lasted me about 7 hours. There is minimal backtracking for the most part (aside from the second level, there is a annoying part where you have to go to a lower area and then back up and then back down) the rest of the games backracking is confined to mostly a few rooms back, etc so never felt like a problem.

There are a couple bosses in the game, with mechanics that are fairly similar to fighting the regular ghosts, and nothing that will make you scratch your head, there pretty easy to figure out and not very hard.

Any other questions? and I'll have a video review posted soon. Overall I'd give the game 7. Some neat ideas and I know this comes from a lower budget, but game could have been much more or more fleshed out. As its, its good and fun to play...once. Thats if your into slow paced, supernatural mysteries. stlye gameplay and exploration. Even though your climbing a huge mountain, there is nothing in this game that screams... EXTREME!

Replay value is pretty much nill. There is no chapter select, new game +, or anything like that. So once you get to the end, since the game features a auto save function, there is no reverting to old areas from older saves. You able to pick one save slot and you can't change it nor copy it. This made capturing footage annoying since I only had a save spot near the end of the game which didn't do me too well, so I had to essentiall start over a and progress a couple levels. Only reason someone would go back is in order to collect some missin documents, but there is no indiication on how many docs are in each level, so best to explore all the areas as much as possible.

Dascu

Only 7 hours, no replay value either... Hmm. I think I'm going to skip it, or wait for a price drop. Still need to get Another Code R and a few WiiWare games.

Dascu said:
Only 7 hours, no replay value either... Hmm. I think I'm going to skip it, or wait for a price drop. Still need to get Another Code R and a few WiiWare games.

Yeah, it could possible take you a bit longer but really, can't see if being much longer, maybe 10 hours.

Video review is here!!!! Skip to 18 seconds for start of the review.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yeah, it could possible take you a bit longer but really, can't see if being much longer, maybe 10 hours.

Video review is here!!!! Skip to 18 seconds for start of the review.

I always find game length underestimated by reviewers and since its a key criteria for buying it would be nice to know.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
anybody know anything about the game's availability in canada?

G.O.O.

So I just started. A few (very quick, much like my playtime) thoughts :

- Graphically, it's... nice. A few weird places, but I'm surprised by how clean it is.
- Good voice acting. Bad cutscenes though (don't like these comic book frames).
- About the pacing : I was in town, running from place to place, then the game told me that running could awake the ghosts. Later, as I was walking, I had a fucking SHOCK EFFECT. I hate that. From that point, I slowed down again, feeling that I would be punished for going too fast. :|
- Nice use of the wiimote speaker, dudes.
- I pretty much agree with the review on destroy all fanboys : no map, autosaves contributes to the feeling of being lonely. It's like even the game doesn't like you, and knows it. Eric says he has no clue where to find the place he's looking for, and we don't either.

So far this game seems to look for a different survival experience, where the setting is more important than the story. Oh, by the way, it tells you about the ghosts, before you meet them, which surprised me. But hey, not like it would have been a big surprise anyway.

People who are playing it, what do you think ?

tintinrudd said:
"There's a solid 15- 20 hours of gameplay here (my own time was 21:43:57 by the stopwatch I set up), provided you're in the mood to seek out every journal and patiently sit through all the montage sequences that play out during the game."

15 - 20 hours according to this guy -

http://fanboydestroy.blogspot.com/2009/08/review-cursed-mountain.html

Maybe gathering every journal isn't the usual thing but following the plot? Yea i think thats fair.

I'm sorry but this time he states is wrong...so WRONGGGGG. Its 10 at most. You'd have to walk everywhere in the game or just meticulously comb the levels for it be longer then that and 15 -20 is insane!!! The game pretty damn linear. Now I had played through the first two levels at my gfs house and then had to start over at my place, but still, that maybe shaved a hour off, if that. I sat down, played a couple hours, went to eat dinner, came back, sat down for a few more hours, and the game was done. Also I had most of the journals, maybe was missing about 7 of them. I didn't skip any cutscenes either, aside from the first two levels but again, this wouldn't add on a huge ammount of playtime. I will say I only died a handful of times and never really got stuck (though I dont see how you could, the puzzles, if you could call them that, are so easy.)

GC|Simon

G.O.O. said:
People who are playing it, what do you think ?

I totally agree with you. I really love the vibe of this game. The last level I visited was a monastery in the mountains and it was somehow amazing. Can't describe this really but it completely hit my taste.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Wow, this actually turned out to look pretty good. When I saw the trailer I thought it had potential, but the fact that I haven't purchased a Wii game since SSMB made me skeptical.
yes I know about madworld

MarkusRJR

blu said:
anybody know anything about the game's availability in canada?
I would like to know about this also.

UltimaKilo said:
Wow, this actually turned out to look pretty good. When I saw the trailer I thought it had potential, but the fact that I haven't purchased a Wii game since SSMB made me skeptical.
yes I know about madworld
SSMB? What does the M stand for? I always thought it was SSBB.

G.O.O.

It wasn't supposed to come out this early I guess.

The combat isn't that bad imo. Or it's too easy at the moment.

Oddly enough, the game reminds me ico more than another survival.

the-iek

UltimaKilo said:
Why aren't there any reviews if this game is already out?
German review copies were only sent out a few days ago. In addition to that, gamescom was last week, I guess everyone was busy.

Top Bottom