• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

moribund112

Neo Member
Does anyone have a source for hi-res Pilotwings 64 artwork? This is my all-time favorite N64 game, and would love to have the sources to make a cover for my storage case...

hurzelein

Great thread! Waited months for my Account Validation and just yesterday when I didnt even think of it anymore I got my email.

Will post some of my own covers in the next weeks, this thread was a great inspiration!

I am especially interessted in PSN/Arcade Games.

Looking forward to post them when I have time!

Click images for High-Res.

The Unfinished Swan
Nothing special, but I hope you like it! Click for High-Res!

Journey
Credits to deviant-art user Seblecaribou. I hope he does not mind that i used and edited his work, fantastic imaginative artwork from him!

hurzelein

Thanks!

Would love to present them in this fancy 3D-style like above the quoted Journey Cover.

Downloaded the 3D-template, copied the template, the photoshop script and the Picture in a single folder and finally ran the script.

Photoshop opened and worked, but the result was not right, completly twisted.

Can someone explain to me what I did wrong? As photoshop asked which output pixel width i want I just clicked OK, default was 300.

Photoshop CS 6.

Doombear

Thanks!

Would love to present them in this fancy 3D-style like above the quoted Journey Cover.

Downloaded the 3D-template, copied the template, the photoshop script and the Picture in a single folder and finally ran the script.

Photoshop opened and worked, but the result was not right, completly twisted.

Can someone explain to me what I did wrong? As photoshop asked which output pixel width i want I just clicked OK, default was 300.

Photoshop CS 6.

Which were you using Hurzelein? I had better luck myself with the ones that are text linked |360 3D Box| that are simply PS Actions. Those were created in and for CS5 though, and that is what I am using so I am unsure how they work in 6. I can't help you with the other converter =(

hurzelein

Tried it with the text - PS3-Template.

Photoshop opens, but after that nothing happens.

Maybe it is really because of PCS 6. Can someone confirm the 3D-template skripts not working for CS6?

But thanks for the advice.

ihustle50

Neo Member
can someone fix the text in this cover

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?8t6uo1xguiggn91

the game titles (i.e. Sons of Liberty and etc) aren't centered and they overlap with the art from the other games in the series
the "Y" in Liberty overlaps in the green colored art, and the P in "Peace" is touching the edge of it's respective art.

if someone could center those texts, which should fix the issue, i would greatly appreciate it :)

someone asked for DmC.

i've only played the demo so far myself, but i thought this seemed a fitting style maybe.

dmc-ps3j2uc0.png

download

dmc-360duujj.png

download

yrzero

Neo Member
Woo, I've finally been accepted, so now I can share some covers I've been working on. Hope you like them! (click the titles to download)

neQSO8hl.jpg

Borderlands 2 - Zero Cover

g3W6n7ql.jpg

Borderlands 2 - Salvador Cover

T6PEHy2l.jpg

Borderlands 2 - Maya Cover

n7Qr7tsl.jpg

Borderlands 2 - Axton Cover

VLiMrGCl.jpg

Rainbow Six: Vegas

t5CPULKl.jpg

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - Version 1

yemh737l.jpg

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - Version 2

dRK8E0Cl.jpg

Hitman:Absolution

The Hitman one is kinda average, but whatevers. I couldn't decide which one I preferred of the Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 covers, so I've put both there for everyone.

Feedback is more than welcome! I'd like to make some more, so any advice will be taken on board

SnowHawk

Woo, I've finally been accepted, so now I can share some covers I've been working on. Hope you like them! (click the titles to download)

neQSO8hl.jpg

Borderlands 2 - Zero Cover

g3W6n7ql.jpg

Borderlands 2 - Salvador Cover

T6PEHy2l.jpg

Borderlands 2 - Maya Cover

n7Qr7tsl.jpg

Borderlands 2 - Axton Cover

VLiMrGCl.jpg

Rainbow Six: Vegas

t5CPULKl.jpg

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - Version 1

yemh737l.jpg

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - Version 2

dRK8E0Cl.jpg

Hitman:Absolution

The Hitman one is kinda average, but whatevers. I couldn't decide which one I preferred of the Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 covers, so I've put both there for everyone.

Feedback is more than welcome! I'd like to make some more, so any advice will be taken on board

Have you got Ps3 versions of those BL2 covers?

F1shy

Neo Member
Thanks for Borderlands 2 and DmC, guys! They look wonderful! This is what I have left, if anyone has any of these games, please direct me to them. I have been through every page of this thread and these are the ones I am missing:
Anarchy Reigns,
Angry Birds Trilogy,
Bioshock 2,
Black Ops 2,
Crysis 1,
Dante's Inferno,
Dragon Age II,
Dragon's Dogma,
Dead Space 3 (not out yet, but I am picking up my preorder soon),
DragonBall Z Budokai (I saw one on the last page, but the person never uploaded it),
Fable II,
Fable III,
Forza Horizon,
Gears of War 1,
Halo 3,
Halo Wars,
Prototype,
Prototype 2,
Red Faction Armageddon,
Risen 2,
Saints Row the Third,
Sleeping Dogs,
The Darkness 2,
The Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion
(For XBOX 360, by the way, otherwise a lot of these I would have found in other pages.)

And that's it.

F1shy

Neo Member
I think I saw a nice one for Bioshock 2 here somewhere, should be in the link-collection on the first page.

I will do a cover for Halo 3 (just have the ugly classics collection and I want a nice, clean cover), but right now I have little time. Maybe at the end of February.

There's some really nice Bioshock 2 covers, but they're all PS3. I need XBOX 360.

@SnowHawk, just awesome.

hurzelein

@Fattony: VGBBoxart is a great site. But I don't know, the Hall of Fame covers look great and stuff, but they are just not minimalistic. Always full with "Brand" "Logo" .... Would love to see these guys make clean covers.

2 new covers, click images for High-Res.

Trials HD
Really does no look like it but I wasted hours in this. Learned a lot about Photoshop-functions editing the taatoo-like design, which was quite small on the Trials-Pics I found on the web. So I am quite happy with it now. Nice, clean and simple, thats how I like it.

hurzelein

Wanted to make something for one of the best PSN Games Shatter, but uff, first game I really have problems to find usable Parts of artworks or Images.

Had these two for a while, but today I finished them!

Click images for High-Res!

Derrick the Deathfin

Soundshapes

Zajora

I've just finished printing off a number of them on my home printer. Pretty happy with how they turned out:

iboK2CF2iLZQ39.png

(That's just some kind of weird reflection going on with the SS cover)

Does anyone have the minimal Wii template? The Mediafire link to it on the OP is broken.

televator

What if we did jewel case formats for all consoles? It'd save a lot of space.

They'd be easier to print.... but manuals would be a glaring problem.

Also, while GAF does a little of everything, it's not quite as dedicated to a project of that scale as places like VGboxart or the cover project.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
They'd be easier to print.... but manuals would be a glaring problem.

Also, while GAF does a little of everything, it's not quite as dedicated to a project of that scale as places like VGboxart or the cover project.

Edit: I am a dufus. Forgot what thread I was in. Think it's better sticking with the original boxes as it gives the art more room to shine.

Burt

These are all great, except for the fact that everyone for some reason elects to keep the PS3/Xbox 360/XBL/PSN tags on them. There's no reason for that. I doubt most people own these games for multiple systems, and even if they do, I'm sure they possess the ability to distinguish the games simply by what box each is in. No need to drop branding on these covers when most of them are art, especially when you aren't Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo, and aren't responsible for selling a brand. Hell, honestly, I even think that most of the game names on the spine are ruining it when a simple logo would suffice or the box art could be worked so that it was wraparound with the spine just displaying something interesting and visually unique to the game.

Edit: for instance, I think the Journey cover quoted right about me looks great, but would be even better if it just had the logo on the spine centered and the one title in the lower right of the cover.

Zajora

These are all great, except for the fact that everyone for some reason elects to keep the PS3/Xbox 360/XBL/PSN tags on them. There's no reason for that. I doubt most people own these games for multiple systems, and even if they do, I'm sure they possess the ability to distinguish the games simply by what box each is in. No need to drop branding on these covers when most of them are art, especially when you aren't Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo, and aren't responsible for selling a brand. Hell, honestly, I even think that most of the game names on the spine are ruining it when a simple logo would suffice or the box art could be worked so that it was wraparound with the spine just displaying something interesting and visually unique to the game.

Edit: for instance, I think the Journey cover quoted right about me looks great, but would be even better if it just had the logo on the spine centered and the one title in the lower right of the cover.

I can't speak for everyone, but as I'm fairly certain I'll never have custom covers for every single one of my games, I find it looks better to have a more uniform look with the same logo on all the spines.

RedSwirl

I still think the platform logos look cool, and PS3 covers are the only ones that are shaped differently. Personally, I also don't like to have too much negative space on the covers -- I don't like them looking too bare. To be honest I actually think having just a little bit of legal/trademark information helps the aesthetic too, but that's just me. At the very least I prefer a game cover have the title of the game on the front. I've been thinking about putting a logo for the developer on the front too.

As for the spine, I still like to know what game I'm pulling out when I reach for it on the shelf, and not every game has a logo.

Oh, and the XBL/PSN tags I maintain only for games where online is an important component.

hurzelein

I like the PS brand and logo on the front and the spine, mainly for the same reasons as mentioned above.

What I really don't like are the "Playstation Network" tags. I dont know why you would keep them (even on multiplayer-centered games), in my opinion they are plain ugly.

If someone really (when you actually want to print it) wants some of my covers without the logos or brands send me a message, I still have the Photoshop-Files so its just a few clicks.

Doombear

I feel pretty much the same as most of the previous posters. I like the system logos, and in the case of my PS2 collection sometimes the developer logos, and titles on the spine. The rest I don't have much use for. I have a "Criterion" like style that also contains the year of the game's release.

I tend to really just go for a clean minimalist look. I can still get that with the system logo, and very little else. I also feel like anyone can just slap together an image with nothing else on it, and print it out. I feel that a bit of work done with the game's title and the logos put a bit more originality into the case.

RedSwirl

If anyone's wondering about the covers where I put the developer logo on the back, it's because I couldn't think of anything else to put back there.

vvise

those BL2 covers are nice :)

I will continue making these as I play the games and get through my backlog. Here's the latest:

Coming up after this, Sleeping Dogs.

Personally, I not only like the console logos on the covers, but also the stripes. I just think it makes them look more official and I prefer the uniformity.

vvise

so much good source material, ended up making 4. Not sure why imgur sometimes decides to put in a white bg on the box template...

MechaZain

Banned
Humble request: if anyone does this it will be greatly appreciated!

Buying the Mass Effect Trilogy (PS3) for a friend who's expressed interest in FemShep. I love the ME3 stuff in the archive but I need a single boxart for the trilogy, would even appreciate Rengoku's with the trilogy logo instead of the ME3 one. Anybody!!!!!

F1shy

Neo Member
These are all incredible. I have a request if anyone is willing. I am looking for a clean cover for muchi muchi pok! & Pink sweets. I'm going to be getting the cave 'the best release but hate the yellow border. Any help would be awesome!

Top Bottom