• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

PS3/360/PC/Wii U/Vita

rl0waqj.png

love it..

Zajora

I've gotta ask, RedSwirl: wouldn't it make more sense for the spine to be the colour of the front cover, not the back? Most times when the case is sitting down, it'll be with the top visible, not the bottom, so wouldn't it look better for the spine to match the visible surface?

Anyway, this was one of my other ideas for the Metroid Prime Trilogy. Realized part way through making the arm cannon that it looked kind of strange and that it'd be hard to even tell what it was, so I kind of half-heartedly finished the rest of it. Oh well.

Grief.exe

Can you guys make a gradient like this? Would like to use it as a cover, needs to be at least 2164 pixels tall.

I also can't find a Chaos Theory logo of a good size. Really I only need the word Chaos Theory since I am going to use the cool Blacklist logo, which I found a massive render of.
That is probably able to be created as well, but Zajora is far and away better than me at these kind of things.

Thanks for the help.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Seeing your dragon's crown works made me want to contribute, but i'm not good at this stuff :(
Anyway these are my ideas, you are free to finish them if you want
nuovo_7.jpg
nuovo_9.jpg

I think that these could be good artworks too for a cover
XYx_MDPH.jpg
dc_drunk_fairy_promo.jpg

Zajora

Can you guys make a gradient like this? Would like to use it as a cover, needs to be at least 2164 pixels tall.

I also can't find a Chaos Theory logo of a good size. Really I only need the word Chaos Theory since I am going to use the cool Blacklist logo, which I found a massive render of.
That is probably able to be created as well, but Zajora is far and away better than me at these kind of things.

Thanks for the help.

Well, it's not perfect, but if it's scaled down it probably won't look too bad: click

For the gradient, there are lots of ways to make one like that, but the easiest way (and the way I do it) is to go into the custom shapes tool, and find the shape that's a circle filled with this pattern of lines. When you drag it out while holding shift to maintain aspect ratio it'll be a bunch of triangles angled inwards like you want. Sorry for that terrible description! (I can make one for you if you want, but it'd probably better for you to know how to do it yourself)

Squalliczek

Neo Member
Hello, this is my first post on the site. I have to admit that all the covers on the site are outstanding. Congratulations to the authors. I appeal to deprive the authors of these three covers. If there was a possibility that I would really ask for minor changes. Thanks in advance.

NFS: HP --> Removing Logos PSN (Front and Back) and Region Code
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?af1t3l38e1abfjj#

Batman: AC --> Removing Logos PSN (Back), and Logo Batman on the side and alignment string
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?vsfbmci5bxmncfc#

Batman: AA --> Removing Logo Batman on the side and alignment string
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48309513/Cover%20Art/Batman%20AA/Batman.jpg

Thank you.

Regards :]

Hi, I once again renew my request for editions of these covers. Thanks in advance :)

Wizball

Neo Member
Here's my first (Half-assed) attempt, and with this I finally completed my collection. Finding the logo and then editing it for transparency is something I won't be thrilled to do again. but Forza 4 is tempting me...

yJK33.png

Full cover:
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?eh473fze8npaazm

I just found this awesome thread a little while back. Very inspirational, hope to create a few of my own. Anyway, the link seems broken, anyone have this cover or something similar for RR7? One thing I notice is no developer or publisher logos, at least on the spine would make sense, no?

Also no love for Elder Scrolls Oblivion? Anyone have a clean simplistic PS3 cover of it? I guess I'll just do some of my own then.

Zajora

I just found this awesome thread a little while back. Very inspirational, hope to create a few of my own. Anyway, the link seems broken, anyone have this cover or something similar for RR7? One thing I notice is no developer or publisher logos, at least on the spine would make sense, no?

Also no love for Elder Scrolls Oblivion? Anyone have a clean simplistic PS3 cover of it? I guess I'll just do some of my own then.

Unfortunately it looks like the link for that cover went down before I started backing up all the covers in this thread to a centralized dropbox but if you'd like you can check there for other covers you're interested in, such as Oblivion. (The index in the first posts is out of date)

Covers in this thread rarely include publisher logos. You're welcome to include your own of course, but personally I think covers look best with the minimum amount of extra legal information.

For Oblivion, I actually did make a cover for it pretty recently.

Decided to make an Oblivion cover just for completeness (Let's pretend Arena/Daggerfall don't exist)

I made them for PC, but if you want I can convert it into a PS3 cover. It'd be great for you to contribute your own covers though, the more the merrier. :p

Edit: I just checked the dropbox, and it looks like someone else did make an Oblivion cover:

Wizball

Neo Member
Wow. You just my my day with that Dropbox link. Sometime soon I'll make a photo of my whole PS3 collection in the neogaf clean style, it'll take some time to get the right covers selected and also make some own though. For a start, I made two variations for MK VS DC as a PS3 box.

Zajora

Thank you very much :)

No problem.

Wasn't totally sure what you meant by "alignment string" but...

Is that what you were looking for?

Wow. You just my my day with that Dropbox link. Sometime soon I'll make a photo of my whole PS3 collection in the neogaf clean style, it'll take some time to get the right covers selected and also make some own though. For a start, I made two variations for MK VS DC as a PS3 box.

Glad it'll be useful to you. :p

Those covers look great, but just one thing. I would recommend if possible that you crop the whitespace around the template. Eventually I plan to have some way of automatically generating previews for the covers, but having all that extra space around them makes it look pretty strange in the 3D preview. I suppose theoretically I could add a trim action to the batch, but even so, it'd probably be better for all the covers to be the same size to begin with.

Squalliczek

Neo Member
No problem.

Wasn't totally sure what you meant by "alignment string" but...

Is that what you were looking for?

Thanks. That's what I meant, it looks great. I still have one question. How to print the cover, I mean setting the print size in a graphics program.

Zajora

Thanks. That's what I meant, it looks great. I still have one question. How to print the cover, I mean setting the print size in a graphics program.

You shouldn't have to set the print size. As long as you don't let the printer/program scale the image, it should turn out at 10.75 by 5.84 inches for the PS3 cover.

TCKaos

Anybody else like to see DVD-sized cases for PS1 games? A while ago (before the current gen was in full swing) a lot of people did this to make them fit more in line with PS2 games. Here you go:

Metal Gear Solid

I did a lot of messing around trying to find good art for an MGS1 cover but ultimately I decided to do something reminiscent of the original Japanese and US covers for the game. I'm thinking of starting to put developer logos on all my covers now. It at least makes sense to give props to the guys who actually made the game.

I was like "Oh, that's pretty neat," until I saw it.

Amazing. If I still had a physical copy of this game that would be my cover for sure.

Wizball

Neo Member
Those covers look great, but just one thing. I would recommend if possible that you crop the whitespace around the template. Eventually I plan to have some way of automatically generating previews for the covers, but having all that extra space around them makes it look pretty strange in the 3D preview. I suppose theoretically I could add a trim action to the batch, but even so, it'd probably be better for all the covers to be the same size to begin with.

Agreed, I did. Here's the above covers updated, plus I added a few more I made. So without much a due, here is the first batch of covers "made by wizball". :) Please note that I use Gimp on Mac, so I can't use the Photoshop Actions or scripts to morph the covers into the 3D box models. If anyone can do that for me (us) that would be great. The Heavenly Sword cover is similar to another one I noticed, but mine is cleaner and simpler I think. Enjoy and let me know what you think. A favourite of my friends is the Bioshock one. That image simply begged for being used as cover art. Sadly, the upload cropped one pixel, I have no idea why. But it shouldn't matter.

x3skqocl.jpg

zcERTkyl.jpg

a6XJjyxl.jpg

fiG8199l.jpg

TmFu5oFl.jpg

LH8PYGhl.jpg

3T5nvSHl.jpg

Link to full size gallery:
here

_machine

May I request a cover for the PS3 version of Skate (and possibly 3)?

Preferrably with the clean style like most PS3 boxarts here.

EDIT:
Another one I haven't seen a cover for yet.

DL

6FCV6.png

This is so addictive, ugh
Anyone got a copy of that; the download link's down. Another cover in the same style would be nice too.

_machine

Ah, thank you very much!

Now, Skate 2 is the only game I'm having trouble with; just the standard cover with the clean side and clean back would be fantastic.

Since it's releasing tomorrow, I thought I'd try to do some quick covers for The Bureau: X-COM Declassified.

I think I like the first one better, but I really wanted one of the command room/place. Maybe I can get a better angle with my own screens sometime.

Also in the process of fixing my Rogue Legacy and FTL covers, if anyone is interested in those.

cj_iwakura

Agreed, I did. Here's the above covers updated, plus I added a few more I made. So without much a due, here is the first batch of covers "made by wizball". :) Please note that I use Gimp on Mac, so I can't use the Photoshop Actions or scripts to morph the covers into the 3D box models. If anyone can do that for me (us) that would be great. The Heavenly Sword cover is similar to another one I noticed, but mine is cleaner and simpler I think. Enjoy and let me know what you think. A favourite of my friends is the Bioshock one. That image simply begged for being used as cover art. Sadly, the upload cropped one pixel, I have no idea why. But it shouldn't matter.

3T5nvSHl.jpg

Link to full size gallery:
here

As nice as the Under Defeat one is, could you do one with either the other character(maybe one on each side?) or both of them?

Zajora

Lots of great covers! I've added them all to the dropbox.

It looks like the download link image is only 900px × 601px. Did you mean to link a printable size?

Awesome, thank you very, very much!

I'd love if you could try making it so that the logo doesn't clip to the side (the right term for the middle part keeps escaping my mind) so that it only has the PS3 logo and the Skate 2 text.

spine.jpg

Wizball, can I get the original picture for this? I want to make a PC cover with it.

Here is the largest size I could fine (2400px x 1157px)

Zajora

Ooops, yeah sorry. What is the recommended size?

Here's what I said earlier:

If you'd like, here is the template I made for use with all DVD-size cases. Although the covers do have a bit of size variation, they're close enough for this to work fine. It includes logos for PC, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, PS2 and Gamecube. This template is 300 DPI and should print (if unscaled) at 10.75 by 7.187 inches, which should be close to the correct size for all DVD-sized covers.

Also, here is a template I made for PS3/PS4, since they use the Blu-Ray sized cases, not DVD.

(The Multi Template is 3225px x 2156px)

So since I cannot for the life of me figure out how to link from the dropbox to here I'm going to post it as a link, but could someone remake this cover as a Wii U version?

Assassin's Creed III

Sure. How's this?

Zajora

What kind of paper is used to print those covers?? HP Photo? also inkject or laser printer ??

thx...

Well, technically you can print it on whatever paper you have with whatever printer you have. For best results you'd probably want to have it printed at a store that has specialty paper/printers, but for home-printing, glossy photo paper with an ink jet printer would probably be best.

_machine

but for home-printing, glossy photo paper with an ink jet printer would probably be best.
That's what I did and I'm really happy with the result (though cutting with scissors isn't the best option). Just open up the image, set it not scale at all and print on glossy A4 and voila!

Zajora

That's what I did and I'm really happy with the result (though cutting with scissors isn't the best option). Just open up the image, set it not scale at all and print on glossy A4 and voila!

Yeah, if possible you should probably cut it with an xacto knife. (AKA utility knife/other names)

Funny that I'm giving this advice, since I'm really lazy with the covers I've printed, but oh well. I'll call them draft versions. :p

Top Bottom