• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

Blowdrum

Neo Member
Hmm. That's strange. What program are you using to print it? Is it possible there's another scaling setting you're missing? Are you getting any "image out of bounds" or similar errors that indicate your image is too large for your printer's printable area?
I've tried printing from Windows Photo Viewer, Photoshop, and Paint.net. It's possible I'm missing a setting, but I checked pretty thoroughly and couldn't find any other printing options. There's no errors either when I go to print.

cj_iwakura

So I got the layers working in Gimp, and doctored up a (very) rough draft of what I'd like to do for Castle Shikigami / 'Mobile Light Force'.

6chWjuv.jpg

If I could figure out how to make that SNS logo transparent I'm sure it'd look worlds better, I just pasted it as it was.

What will the final resolution need to be?

Zajora

I've tried printing from Windows Photo Viewer, Photoshop, and Paint.net. It's possible I'm missing a setting, but I checked pretty thoroughly and couldn't find any other printing options. There's no errors either when I go to print.

Can you tell me what size the cover actually printed at? (Dimensions)

So I got the layers working in Gimp, and doctored up a (very) rough draft of what I'd like to do for Castle Shikigami / 'Mobile Light Force'.

6chWjuv.jpg

If I could figure out how to make that SNS logo transparent I'm sure it'd look worlds better, I just pasted it as it was.

What will the final resolution need to be?

I would recommend 3225px x 2156px at 300 DPI.

I would like to request the JP version of Xbox 360 Bayonetta cover art, as well as EU/JP version of Tales of Vesperia.

How's this?

Bayonetta:

Vesperia:

Zajora

I know I requested the AA5 cover's earlier (Thank you zajora) but now I want a Ace Attorney 2 english box to go on my shelf along with it. Anybody help me out?

Last time you wanted it to be that style with the characters in their boxes. Do you have something in mind this time as well?

Zajora

10.20" x 7"

Really? That's strange. Both of the covers you printed should be 10.75" by 5.84"...

The image must be being scaled if it's printing at 7" wide. Are you absolutely certain there are no scaling settings enabled? For example, in the Photoshop print dialogue there should be a section called "Scaled Print Size", with a checkbox for "Scale To Fit Media". Is that unchecked?

Blowdrum

Neo Member
Really? That's strange. Both of the covers you printed should be 10.75" by 5.84"...

The image must be being scaled if it's printing at 7" wide. Are you absolutely certain there are no scaling settings enabled? For example, in the Photoshop print dialogue there should be a section called "Scaled Print Size", with a checkbox for "Scale To Fit Media". Is that unchecked?

Isn't the proper size for an Xbox cover 10.75" by 7.25"? Because that was the size of the cover in Photoshop at 300 PPI.

Regardless, when I printed them I made sure the "Scale to Fit Media" box was unchecked.

Zajora

Isn't the proper size for an Xbox cover 10.75" by 7.25"? Because that was the size of the cover in Photoshop at 300 PPI.

Regardless, when I printed them I made sure the "Scale to Fit Media" box was unchecked.

Oh. I assumed you were talking PS3 covers, based on the covers you linked here:

I used this FO3 Cover and this ME3 one.
I checked the resolution and PPI, and it should print out to be 10.81x7.19in. When printing, I unchecked the "Scale Image to Template" box, but the images are still coming out a little bit smaller than they should be.

Though of course I'm now I'm reading the part the links. :p (And realizing that both posts have both PS3 and X360 covers)

The only thing I can think of is that somewhere along the line, something is scaling your cover. Do you have access to another printer? If so, that would at least answer the question of whether the issue is with the program you're printing from or your printer preferences themselves. Although, since you said you've had the same problem from multiple programs I can only assume the printer is the issue.

Sorry I can't be more help, but it seems like you've already tried everything I would suggest!

Zajora

OMG I've made a HUGE mistake. I meant Ace Attorney Investigations 2. That one never came out of Japan. I'm so sorry. Just a english title/spine and back of this would be awesome.

256px-GK2boxart.jpg

;_;

Okay.

Wikipedia said:
Gyakuten Kenji 2 (逆転検事2?, lit. "Turnabout Prosecutor 2"), unofficially referred to as Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2, is an adventure video game for the Nintendo DS handheld game console by Capcom. It is the sixth game in the Ace Attorney series, and a sequel to Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth.[1] There are currently no plans for Capcom to release the game outside Japan.[2]

What should I call it? Just "Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Investigations 2" ?

Thanks for the ToV cover, but I'm not really feeling your Bayonetta cover.

How's this? I got the full versions sorted out, so the previews link to them now:

Zajora

OMG I've made a HUGE mistake. I meant Ace Attorney Investigations 2. That one never came out of Japan. I'm so sorry. Just a english title/spine and back of this would be awesome.

256px-GK2boxart.jpg

Okay, I scoured the internet and I can't find character art for more than these 4:

Miles%20Edgeworth%20Ace%20Attorney%20-%20Investigations%202.jpgsmall.png

I can either put something else on the back or you can find some suitable characterart. I don't know the names of the characters in the game so it's difficult for me to even be sure the ones I found are from the actual game.

Great, thanks. :D

No problem, glad you like them. :)

Zajora

So I am aiming to redefine my gaming shelf, start with some cohesion with my largest franchise collection, Halo :)

Can someone who has printed some of these out/more knowledgeable in printing and quality, take a peek at these designs and let me know if they will print out well?

Skydrive Gallery with full sized images
(flattened jpgs, but full size)

Here are some previews for anyone interested

Just going by a quick look, they seem to be at the correct size/resolution, and the assets you used seem to be high quality. I'd assume they'll print just fine.

nillapuddin

Just going by a quick look, they seem to be at the correct size/resolution, and the assets you used seem to be high quality. I'd assume they'll print just fine.

Cool, thanks for taking a peek.
Ill try and do my final take on them soon and print em out :)

The last time I printed out a custom cover was for MVP Baseball 2005..

.. I doubt the bar was very high for me back then, lol.
I want these covers to be the staple of my entertainment center
so the spine is the only important part lol

Okay, I searched the internet and I can't find character art for more than these 4:

Miles%20Edgeworth%20Ace%20Attorney%20-%20Investigations%202.jpgsmall.png

I can either put something else on the back or you can find some suitable characterart. I don't know the names of the characters in the game so it's difficult for me to even be sure the ones I found are from the actual game.

No problem, glad you like them. :)

Yes Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is fine for the title. Okay I scoured the net to find some pics. Here's the four peices for the front.

http://www.inside-games.jp/imgs/zoom/183535.jpg
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110625060020/aceattorney/images/1/1b/Mikumo.png
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110625044855/aceattorney/images/b/bb/Tateuki.png
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130526182613/aceattorney/images/a/a2/Hakari_Mikagami_1.jpg

This can be the back
http://ryuz4ki57.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/gyakuten-kenji-2-a.jpg?w=474&h=277&h=278

Thank you so much for all your work. I can't wait to print them out and put them on my shelf. Thank you.

Zajora

Okay, here's the version with the back art:

(I replaced the file in the dropbox, so the previous version I posted has now been updated to this version)

Zajora I hate to be a tad picky but the front cover you used is the same cover art as the first AAI game, so it can't really be used again. Is it all possible to keep your design intact but exchange the four character pics on the front with the four pics in my last post and it will be perfect.

Regardless man, thanks a bunch and next time I get some free codes I'm sending them your way.

Edit: Found a better pic for the first character, edited my last post to make it easier.

Zajora

Zajora I hate to be a tad picky but the front cover you used is the same cover art as the first AAI game, so it can't really be used again. Is it all possible to keep your design intact but exchange the four character pics on the front with the four pics in my last post and it will be perfect.

Regardless man, thanks a bunch and next time I get some free codes I'm sending them your way.

Oh, hmm. I chose those ones because their character art was high-res enough. I couldn't find much higher resolutions of the ones you wanted, so I upscaled instead.

patcrazystar64

Neo Member
I've been recently authorized to the forum but have been following the thread for over a month now. On days, I haven't had a lot of coursework I've been slowly learning how to use Gimp and here's what I've been working on. X360 only so far since it is my only console but I still have .xcf files for all if anyone is interested for a different console. Not really sure how to do the 3D boxart preview and please feel free to post any suggestion and state any problems with what I have done.

Bioshock Infinite
Bioshock%20Infinte.png
Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's%20Creed%203.png
Max Payne 3
Max%20Payne%203.png
Dead Rising
360_deadrising_1.png
Burnout Paradise
Burnout.png

Zajora

So, I noticed while looking at the boxes for the PS4 and Xbox One games that the Xbox One games are approximately the same size as PS3 games but PS4 games take up most of the box. So I made a PS4 template using my size guestimates as a basis.

Here is my Watch Dogs cover with my template.

And the template if anyone wants it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the PS4 games will be in Blu-Ray cases, which means they'll be close to PS3 sizes, if not identical.

I've been recently authorized to the forum but have been following the thread for over a month now. On days, I haven't had a lot of coursework I've been slowly learning how to use Gimp and here's what I've been working on. X360 only so far since it is my only console but I still have .xcf files for all if anyone is interested for a different console. Not really sure how to do the 3D boxart preview and please feel free to post any suggestion and state any problems with what I have done.

Always nice to see new people contributing! Those covers look pretty great, too.

I would recommend that you use an updated template (I'm assuming you're using one of the older versions of my version of the X360 ones, since the spine is partially transparent but not the front)

Here is a link to the newest version of what I call the Multi Template. It has logos for X360, PS2, Wii, Wii U, GC and PC, since they all use DVD-standard size boxes.

Also, you should try to avoid posting the full size covers in this thread (Especially unquoted). Unfortunately the 3D boxart files require Photoshop, since I'm assuming Gimp doesn't read Photoshop actions, but you could still post a smaller version of your covers in the thread which would link to the full printable version.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the PS4 games will be in Blu-Ray cases, which means they'll be close to PS3 sizes, if not identical.

The cases themselves will probably be approx the same size, I was refering to the inserts themselves. The inserts look to be taking up almost the entire case where the ps3 inserts do not.

This is what I was talking about. The PS3 and PS4 cases are the same size but the insert on the 4 will be bigger. Also I noticed from these pictures the XB1 case will be smaller in both directions [providing that the image I got the XB1 and PS4 cases from had them the same size (as they were both on the same pic)].

EDIT: Messing around with this pic and, providing the case sizes for the PS4 and the Xbox One were not correct in relation to each other, the XB1 cases might be a tad smaller width wise but the inserts should be [roughly] the same as the PS3 [Provided the cases have the same depth].

Love the Assassin's Creed one. The Bioshock one is good too. It does seem, at least to me that the back art on all but Burnout and Max Payne were resized one direction but not the other [if that makes sense]. Good work.

hurzelein

The cases themselves will probably be approx the same size, I was refering to the inserts themselves. The inserts look to be taking up almost the entire case where the ps3 inserts do not.

If you are right, and I guess you are looking at that picture: Damnit.

My Rime Cover and the Infamous Second Son Cover I'm working on right now will need Transformations/Corrections and I hate to change something I have done and finished.

patcrazystar64

Neo Member
Also, you should try to avoid posting the full size covers in this thread (Especially unquoted). Unfortunately the 3D boxart files require Photoshop, since I'm assuming Gimp doesn't read Photoshop actions, but you could still post a smaller version of your covers in the thread which would link to the full printable version.

I thought it was my computer unable to handle the command but that's good to know, also how would you suggest to upload smaller versions that link to the full printable versions of the covers?
Love the Assassin's Creed one. The Bioshock one is good too. It does seem, at least to me that the back art on all but Burnout and Max Payne were resized one direction but not the other [if that makes sense]. Good work.
Thanks! The Bioshock one took me a while because of the frame and you're right about the problem with Max Payne but for the Burnout cover it's just the artwork that was published by Criterion. I could try rotating the Bike version to make it look like it is at a similar angle as the original cover.

I thought it was my computer unable to handle the command but that's good to know, also how would you suggest to upload smaller versions that link to the full printable versions of the covers?

Thanks! The Bioshock one took me a while because of the frame and you're right about the problem with Max Payne but for the Burnout cover it's just the artwork that was published by Criterion. I could try rotating the Bike version to make it look like it is at a similar angle as the original cover.

I don't think you got what i was trying to say. The images on Max Payne and Burnout look good but all the other ones look as if the art that you resized it in only direction to make it fit the cover. Say, you have a canvas that is 1 foot wide but 2 feet tall, but your image is 1 and 3/4 feet wide and 2 feet tall. So you resized the 1 3/4 foot side to fit in the 1 foot area. Does that make sense? Nevertheless, they look good.

Zajora

If you are right, and I guess you are looking at that picture: Damnit.

My Rime Cover and the Infamous Second Son Cover I'm working on right now will need Transformations/Corrections and I hate to change something I have done and finished.

Well, all the pictures I've seen so far don't seem to be to scale - I don't think I've seen any real world pictures of PS3/PS4 games beside eachother, or even beside a X360/X1 game. For now, I can only assume that the inserts will be a similar size to the PS3 versions, but I think we should probably wait until we know for certain before going and remaking the covers in hypothetical sizes.

That's great work on the AAI2 box. Thank you Zajora.

No problem :)

The easiest way to do it would probably be to save two copies of each cover, then upload both and post it in a format like this:

[url=http://link to full version.com][img]http://link to preview.com[/img][/url]

I don't think you got what i was trying to say. The images on Max Payne and Burnout look good but all the other ones look as if the art that you resized it in only direction to make it fit the cover. Say, you have a canvas that is 1 foot wide but 2 feet tall, but your image is 1 and 3/4 feet wide and 2 feet tall. So you resized the 1 3/4 foot side to fit in the 1 foot area. Does that make sense? Nevertheless, they look good.

I noticed that too, especially in the Bioshock one (Her face is quite skinny). One way to think of it is if you're resizing a circle, and you don't maintain the aspect ratio, it won't be a circle when you scale it because one side will be scaled more than the other. In photoshop when you're transforming an image, you can hold shift to force the image to scale proportionately. I'd assume the same for gimp, but I'm not 100% sure.

hurzelein

Infamous Second Son

Apparently one of the first powers he gets is something with smoke, so I thought it would fit. Got to use a graphic tablet for the first time: I still use the mouse far more, but it's great for details. Will probably buy one now. I wish I could draw :)

Click for high-res printable

That looks awesome man, I was actually just working on a Second Son cover too... and a Killzone one.

Ok here they are ( thanks to properpropaganda for the template :D )

Infamous_Second_Son_PS4_prev.jpg

download

Killzone_Shadow_Fall_PS4_prev.jpg

download

Sorry I couldn't find the link for the dropbox, could you post it again Zajora?

hurzelein

Here is a video that I wanted to share. Watched it half a year ago and it started my interest in Photoshop by showing what&how you can do basic Photoshop stuff (that are very useful for the cover-thing like Content-aware fill etc.), it's really well made!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjRqZiAgoHo

Did not know that Dropbox enables a public layout like this, it's absolutley great! Thumbnail pictures load fast, it's like a gallery! Link needs to get in the OT (or should at least been posted from time to time). With this we should think again about opening a new thread! Keep it up Zajora!

One question though: For what are the "small" folders? The big printable versions load as fast the small in the thumbnail view, why sacrifice Mb for them?

Zajora

Did not know that Dropbox enables a public layout like this, it's absolutley great! Thumbnail pictures load fast, it's like a gallery! Link needs to get in the OT (or should at least been posted from time to time). With this we should think again about opening a new thread! Keep it up Zajora!

One question though: For what are the "small" folders? The big printable versions load as fast the small in the thumbnail view, why sacrifice Mb for them?

Yeah, I plan to ask Demosthenes to add a link to it somewhere in the first post, since as it is now I keep having to link it to people. The reason I was hesitant to do so before was because I wasn't entirely certain how I was going to organize it, and I didn't want people to start linking directly to it since the links would be broken if I rearranged it at all.

My long term plan was to have a cohesive website dedicated to Neogaf Custom Covers. I created a mockup in Photoshop which demonstrates some of my ideas for what the front page of that website might look like. I planned to have all covers associated with metadata containing their game and author, as well as a system for ranking covers based on view/downloads/favourites. In order to save on bandwidth costs, I was planning to use a third party service to host the covers, namely Dropbox, which is why the 3D previews are in there as well. All covers posted in this thread would (ideally automatically) be tagged with their metadata, converted into JPEGs, have 3D previews created, and then be added to the gallery website. Unfortunately, after I started working on it, I realized this was going to be more work than I thought, so I haven't made much progress thus far. I started the front-end gallery, but I'm not very experienced with web design and my HTML/CSS knowledge leaves much to be desired. Even so, I've been working on making consistent 3D preview templates (the versions I made have shadows instead of reflections) and getting the right metadata for all the covers I've backed up so far (namely their game names and authors)

You're right though, since the 3D previews have to be PNG to ensure their transparency, they do take up quite a bit of space (the 941 3D previews I've created so far take up 336MB of the 2.4GB used in the Dropbox)

Been a LOOOOOONG time since I posted a cover, here's one I just did recently...

tumblr_mseds7jNKl1qdkwymo1_500.jpg

Your covers are always fascinating! Actually, ust the other day when I was working on backing up more covers to the dropbox, I found a ZIP with many of your covers. Something was a bit wonky with the resolution, but I fixed them up and added them to the dropbox. Grief is right, your covers are definitely unique. In particular I liked the Kirby's Epic Yarn and Metroid Prime Echoes covers.

Zajora

the 3D box actions linked in the OP do not appear to work properly with Photoshop CS6, are there updated versions?

Are you sure? I just tried Rengoku's X360 3D Box template in Photoshop CS6 and it worked fine. Which template did you try? What error did you get?

Top Bottom