• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cxllege Fxxtball 2016 Week Thirteen: Whx gets the best lxss?

Sounds like the flight from South Bend to Eugene was fake.
Much to ND's sadness..

I had a thought.. if ND were looking for a way to dump Kelly and didn't care about how craven and somewhat disgusting it will look if they tried especially now after all this time passed..

Couldn't they use the death of that staffer as a way to fire him? He showed reckless judgement and indirectly caused the death of a staffer while being aware of the dangerous weather conditions.

Not saying that they should do it for obvious reasons... but it was just a thought.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Sure. Make the P5 winners get auto bids. Take the next 3 best teams. Have them play and go.

It's easy, stress free, conference winners matter, and you don't have to worry about rankings/seeding like a 6 team playoff cause of the bye teams.

It's easy. Too easy in fact. That's why it won't ever happen cause CFB has to be hard for "reasons."

if they do that, then they need to give the highest ranked G5 conference champ a slot.

So it'd be 6 auto bids, and 2 at-large.

On-campus for the quarter finals hosted by the Top 4 ranked Conference champions.

andycapps

Sure. Make the P5 winners get auto bids. Take the next 3 best teams. Have them play and go.

It's easy, stress free, conference winners matter, and you don't have to worry about rankings/seeding like a 6 team playoff cause of the bye teams.

It's easy. Too easy in fact. That's why it won't ever happen cause CFB has to be hard for "reasons."

Oh it'll expand. Every playoff ever started has expanded.

Much to ND's sadness..

I had a thought.. if ND were looking for a way to dump Kelly and didn't care about how craven and somewhat disgusting it will look if they tried especially now after all this time passed..

Couldn't they use the death of that staffer as a way to fire him? He showed reckless judgement and indirectly caused the death of a staffer while being aware of the dangerous weather conditions.

Not saying that they should do it for obvious reasons... but it was just a thought.
If he leaves on his own and forfeits what I believe is a $15 million buyout then he is really dumb.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
if they do that, then they need to give the highest ranked G5 conference champ a slot.

So it'd be 6 auto bids, and 2 at-large.

On-campus for the quarter finals hosted by the Top 4 ranked Conference champions.

That's fine. I mean that solves basically all the problems.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

This doesn't solve anything. Instead of arguing who the top four teams are, now we're arguing ovwr who the top 3 non-conference champion teams are, using the same mysterious, bullshit criteria they're using now. It doesn't eliminate any of the arguments.

That's fine. I mean that solves basically all the problems.

The only issue I see with guaranteeing the P5 conf champ an auto bid is what if you have a 3/4 loss team from the weaker division win the conference championship game?
To me keep the current criteria to pick 7/8 teams
And you guarantee the highest Group of 5 team a spot every yr, adding the Cinderella element.
Thatd add motivation to get the top seed.
And definitely play the quarters at the higher seeds in mid December, thus again making it matter to get in the top 4

cdyhybrid

This doesn't solve anything. Instead of arguing who the top four teams are, now we're arguing ovwr who the top 3 non-conference champion teams are, using the same mysterious, bullshit criteria they're using now. It doesn't eliminate any of the arguments.

Sure it does. If you don't like the bullshit decision for the last three teams, you should have won your conference.

mre

For what it's worth, there are rumors that Kiffin is leaving Bama for LSU as early as Sunday.

For what it's worth, there are rumors that Kiffin is leaving Bama for LSU as early as Sunday.

How much negatively do you think your offense is effected in the playoffs if he goes? And does saban rip his heart out when he tells him? Ill hang up and listen.

mre

How much negatively do you think your offense is effected in the playoffs if he goes? And does saban rip his heart out when he tells him? Ill hang up and listen.
I'm sure it won't be good for offensive continuity. If there are rumors on message boards, then I'm pretty sure Saban already knows. Most of the rumors involve Kiffin being encouraged to move on, but who the fuck knows.

Vanillalite

Sure it does. If you don't like the bullshit decision for the last three teams, you should have won your conference.

This.

It doesn't solve all of the edge cases, but you'd still have two edge case slots. 5 would be auto in, and good luck. You know you win you're auto in going into the year no bullshit needed.

andycapps

Oh my. Leaving for another program when the season isn't over would be something Saban would hate. Wonder if he'll have another "ask the Coke bottle" episode like he did at the SECCG last year when he was being asked about Kirby.

New podcast episode is out. 2 hours of nonsense. Subscription info is in the OP.

Vanillalite

If they'd switch up signing day coaches wouldn't need to bolt asap during the Dec/Bowl game limbo to be in place to keep recruits for signing day.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure it won't be good for offensive continuity. If there are rumors on message boards, then I'm pretty sure Saban already knows. Most of the rumors involve Kiffin being encouraged to move on, but who the fuck knows.

I wasn't aware of anything until recently, but I have seen several comments/blogs that mentioned Saban and Kiffin have basically had enough of each other. Makes sense with the Sark hiring too.

And if the playoff expands I'm in the 6 team camp. Most years it will be difficult to even fill in 6 deserving teams, but it makes room for the theoretical 5 conference champs +1 scenario.

mre

This.

It doesn't solve all of the edge cases, but you'd still have two edge case slots. 5 would be auto in, and good luck. You know you win you're auto in going into the year no bullshit needed.
Don't we have this already? Might not be conference championship, but if you're a P5 team and you win out, you're in.

Vanillalite

Don't we have this already? Might not be conference championship, but if you're a P5 team and you win out, you're in.

I mean in theory yes, but it still isn't guaranteed.

You could have 5 teams all win out from the P5 schools. One from each conference. They'd all be undefeated. One would be left out.

Granted it's a hypothetical scenario that'll never happen, but I think the point is still relevant.

Under the 8 team system you'd be guaranteed.

mre

I mean in theory yes, but it still isn't guaranteed.

You could have 5 teams all win out from the P5 schools. One from each conference. They'd all be undefeated. One would be left out.

Granted it's a hypothetical scenario that'll never happen, but I think the point is still relevant.

Under the 8 team system you'd be guaranteed.
You can always come up with some ridiculous hypothetical to justify expanding the number of teams in a playoff. In the entire history of college football has that ever happened?

The issue isn't with the number of teams, or really even the fact that a committee is selecting the teams. The issue is that there is no transparency into the process. The committee picks the teams they like for whatever justification that they like. There needs to be some sort of baseline rubric of qualifications that they have to follow to select the teams. Shit would be better off if the committee just shut the fuck up instead of sending out a member to try to justify their rankings. As it stands now, they're less justifiable rankings and more DC/Marvel type power rankings. "Well Bama and tOSU are up here in our minds, and then there's a biiiig gap down to 3 and 4."

Ganhyun

Week 12 and Week 13 pick 'em results
Week 12 spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C5TJGagbttcvYpJpEPE1nhO3pZwExY7098-RvnxXGd8/edit?usp=sharing
Week 13 spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1puuEvto15QtsGaeTChXA4GZqzGPDEgZ7GD1wq5aKWP8/edit?usp=sharing

Code:
Week 12	Week 13	Total	Username
0	0	47	Affeinvasion
8	8	103	ag
8	5	77	AlteredBeast
7	0	75	andycapps
0	0	29	Battlezone
0	0	30	BertramCooper
0	0	10	Bigskinny0310
9	6	93	bpfd
7	11	95	BTM
0	0	76	Bucknuticus
8	7	88	cashman
7	0	79	Chicko1983
0	0	6	Chris R
8	7	88	Deacon
0	0	29	DorkLord54
0	0	88	Dsyndrome
9	7	97	ErnieMcCracken
8	0	88	felixorion
0	0	7	fgfdgdfg
9	10	102	FloydtheFathead
0	0	8	Frank Beamer
0	0	26	Frustrated_Grunt
11	8	90	Ganhyun
0	0	10	Garryk
6	0	46	GoldenEye 007
0	0	28	Googly Eyes Dog
0	0	14	GreenyMac
0	0	9	HeySeuss
0	0	16	Jerm411
9	7	93	jfkgoblue
0	0	8	Jhriad
8	9	107	jstevenson
9	9	100	Karl2177
0	0	10	Kawl_USC
0	0	9	Kenpokesbabrie
0	0	25	KingBrave1
0	0	10	LionPride
0	0	30	Lizardking
9	9	88	Lonestar
6	10	91	Mac the KNife
8	0	8	MightyHealthy
8	10	81	Monroeski
0	0	8	mre
7	8	103	MrJames
0	7	7	MugiwaraCole
0	0	12	nobuyuki
0	0	34	OceanicAir
10	9	93	perfectchaos007
0	0	58	Quake1028
7	7	88	ryseing
9	13	112	sf2fanatic
0	0	13	Stooge
5	7	87	Subitai
0	0	23	Surge
11	7	68	Tebunker
0	0	5	tetromibi
0	0	54	TheLetdown
0	0	44	timetokill
0	0	4	Titanoboa
0	10	78	truly101
0	0	8	whytemyke
0	0	32	xeris
0	0	44	Yaboosh
8	10	102	zyxwvu4321

Top 12:
Code:
Total	Username
112	sf2fanatic
107	jstevenson
103	ag
103	MrJames
102	FloydtheFathead
102	zyxwvu4321
100	Karl2177
97	ErnieMcCracken
95	BTM
93	bpfd
93	jfkgoblue
93	perfectchaos007

Assuming there are only 2 weeks left before the bowls start(and the last week only has 1 game), that means there's only 19 points left to gain(12 w14 games + bonus w14 3 + 1 w15 game + bonus w15 3). These are the remaining 12 that could still potentially win/tie.

Week 14 pick 'ems. Games start on Friday!

Week 14 link: https://goo.gl/forms/YuDckUL76xXiHXch2

WMU/OHIO
COLO/WASH
LALF/LAMN
LAT/WKU
KSU/TCU
TROY/GASO
TMPL/NAVY
SDSU/WYOM
OKST/OU
BAMA/FLA
WISC/PSU
CLEM/VT

Was only 3 points from being a top contender. Damn.

Also, I didn't find a thread on it and its been long enough that I am not making one on it but fuck Judge Amos Mazzant in Texas for blocking the changes to the salary wage OT system.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Does a coach like Chad Morris ever have a reason to turn a long contract down?

Either he is amazing and a bigger school buys him out or he isn't amazing and he gets ridiculous job security.

He's a Texas guy, with many years as a Texas high school coach, so he's probably pretty happy at SMU all told. He had been trying to get back to Texas for a while before getting the SMU job. He was the runner up to Kingsbury in our own coaching search.

He's also an A&M grad, so he's probably sitting there watching Sumlin's red hot seat with baited breath.

That just encourages people to schedule like shit. This way you can have big OOC games and still win your conference.

Scheduling like shit may make the road a bit easier but it also kills your margin of error. When you look at how things play out in reality it's not necessarily the best strategy.

Baylor scheduled a bunch of chumps and as a result every year they essentially dropped out of contention as soon as they lost once, even to a good team. In 2014 there was a pretty strong sentiment that they shouldn't make it in even if they DID go undefeated (though I think they still would have).

cdyhybrid

You can always come up with some ridiculous hypothetical to justify expanding the number of teams in a playoff. In the entire history of college football has that ever happened?

The issue isn't with the number of teams, or really even the fact that a committee is selecting the teams. The issue is that there is no transparency into the process. The committee picks the teams they like for whatever justification that they like. There needs to be some sort of baseline rubric of qualifications that they have to follow to select the teams. Shit would be better off if the committee just shut the fuck up instead of sending out a member to try to justify their rankings. As it stands now, they're less justifiable rankings and more DC/Marvel type power rankings. "Well Bama and tOSU are up here in our minds, and then there's a biiiig gap down to 3 and 4."
Agreed. Which is why guaranteed conference champ berths are what we need - they are as transparent as can be. Win your conference and you're in - no ifs, ands, or buts.

The contenders for the last three spots have no ground to stand on off they want to complain about who gets them - all they had to do was win their conference.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'd mostly want Kiffikens to go to Houston, as a "lol" to all the LSU rumors. Face it guys, you hired Hummer Eddie.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Kiffin and Miles in the running at Houston. Some of the people there want Art Briles. :jnc

I mentioned a few days ago that some big money guys at Tech were putting up cash for a Kingsbury buyout in exchange for hiring Briles. Turns out a lot of them weren't even Tech guys, they were just Briles guys trying to interject.

His cult of personality is going to have him in just about every job conversation, ESPECIALLY the ones in Texas. He's never lived, gone to school. or worked anywhere outside of the state borders.

I posted yesterday about Tillman Fertitta's comments about Briles. Fertitta is basically Houston's T. Boone Pickens/Phil Knight. He's also not remarkably scrupulous by most accounts so if he wants Briles he can probably get Briles.

Quake1028

He's a Texas guy, with many years as a Texas high school coach, so he's probably pretty happy at SMU all told. He had been trying to get back to Texas for a while before getting the SMU job. He was the runner up to Kingsbury in our own coaching search.

He's also an A&M grad, so he's probably sitting there watching Sumlin's red hot seat with baited breath.

Scheduling like shit may make the road a bit easier but it also kills your margin of error. When you look at how things play out in reality it's not necessarily the best strategy.

Baylor scheduled a bunch of chumps and as a result every year they essentially dropped out of contention as soon as they lost once, even to a good team. In 2014 there was a pretty strong sentiment that they shouldn't make it in even if they DID go undefeated (though I think they still would have).

Same talk about UW this year, really.

Lonestar

proxy.jpg

Wait a second, CDY, no one ever said Tua was a southpaw. I don't know about this...

mre

Agreed. Which is why guaranteed conference champ berths are what we need - they are as transparent as can be. Win your conference and you're in - no ifs, ands, or buts.

The contenders for the last three spots have no ground to stand on off they want to complain about who gets them - all they had to do was win their conference.
Of course they do. Again, this is like, essentially, saying that any P5 team who fails to go undefeated under the current system has no room to argue if they're left out.

Lonestar

I've been thinking really hard, and can't remember the last Left Handed QB at Alabama. Last one might be Mike Shula.

I'd always change the left handed QB's in videogame football, to right handed. It just screws my brain up trying to decipher the southpaw QB.

cdyhybrid

Of course they do. Again, this is like, essentially, saying that any P5 team who fails to go undefeated under the current system has no room to argue if they're left out.
Except your non-conference schedule is determined years in advance and the quality of your opponents isn't something you can predict or control.

It's also substantially harder to go undefeated. Someone wins the conference every year. Auto bids for conference winners also encourages better out of conference scheduling since 1) non-conference record/SOS doesn't factor in to whether you get the auto bid or not (vs. having to go undefeated in your example), and 2) it strengthens your resume if you need to end up getting in through the at-large bids.

Again, the goal of this is to provide a clear, realistic path to a championship and to make the product better. This does both.

Karl2177

I'm listening to the podcast now and I'm at the playoff discussion. What about this: 8 team playoff, each power 5 conference gets a bid(doesn't have to be conference champion), plus 2 at larges, plus 1 group of 5 school.

ag-my001

I've been thinking really hard, and can't remember the last Left Handed QB at Alabama. Last one might be Mike Shula.

I'd always change the left handed QB's in videogame football, to right handed. It just screws my brain up trying to decipher the southpaw QB.

So it's your fault I had to play Twilight Princess with a right-handed Link.

andycapps

proxy.jpg

Wait a second, CDY, no one ever said Tua was a southpaw. I don't know about this...

David Greene did alright for us.

I'm listening to the podcast now and I'm at the playoff discussion. What about this: 8 team playoff, each power 5 conference gets a bid(doesn't have to be conference champion), plus 2 at larges, plus 1 group of 5 school.
If it's each conference getting a bid where do the two at larges get a bid from? Or are you saying some conferences could have more than one team as well.

I don't see how your suggestion helps conference championship games matter again.

Until we get balanced schedules you cant have conf champ is auto in. Case in point, Va Tech avoided Clemson, Louisville and FSU this year during the regular season.

Karl2177

David Greene did alright for us.

If it's each conference getting a bid where do the two at larges get a bid from? Or are you saying some conferences could have more than one team as well.

I don't see how your suggestion helps conference championship games matter again.
The two bonus at larges would come from any conference. The conference bid would more than likely be the conference champion, but it would cover the odd case of the best team not making the conference championship game because of division weirdness or a fluke win in the CCG. Like this year, tOSU is probably the best team in the B1G and arguably one of the two best teams in the country. But because they didn't win their division based on tiebreaker, should they be left out of the playoffs based only on not winning the conference championship game? Or let's say Bama loses to Florida this week. Should Florida get in the playoffs even though they have 3 losses? That's why I think winning the conference championship game shouldn't be an auto bid. This tries to balance most deserving and best. 2 years ago, was FSU one of the best 4 teams? No, but were they deserving? Yea.

tebunker

Banned
I'd mostly want Kiffikens to go to Houston, as a "lol" to all the LSU rumors. Face it guys, you hired Hummer Eddie.

Kiffi makes great sense too. Has experience with bigger programs, can recruit, will get some time at UH, unlike a bigger school. May even get the opportunity to build it up even more. He's paid his penance to a degree.

And he really doesn't really want to go coach for the booger corn dog eating swampems...

Top Bottom