• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cxllege Fxxtball 2016 Week Thirteen: Whx gets the best lxss?

Interesting to see that if UW loses, The B1G winner is most likely to slide in, but that Colorado and to a lesser extent Oklahoma would get in. Michigan doesn't register (I think 2%)

If there are two losses, then 538 thinks it is the B1G champion and 60% Colorado or 30% Oklahoma

Also interesting to see that 538 believes that the argument is between OSU and the B1G Champion, and not UW vs B1G

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

It's only lol wut cause that's what the committee said.

They want the best team right now.

So I don't see how you can really argue with mre.

I'm not saying it should be those teams mre stated btw. More that what the committee says doesn't actually make sense logically speaking.

Quick question: how do Penn State fans wear gear in public without feeling shame?

Also, the "We Are" chant is one of the most arrogant, obnoxious things ever.

tebunker

Banned
For what it's worth, noted CFP guru Heather Dinich agrees with me:

Except that you know that its pretty much garbage.

We can go down every team's schedule and poke holes back and forth based on opinion.

Me personally I like advanced stats and opponent adjusted stats. Sure they seem made up but so did the Moneyball stats ar first...

I think the argument you can make is that there is a lot more Parity in the SEC and there never was that second or third team that rose above like in the BIG. So it looks worse.

But to try and say that they haven't beaten anyone and claim that other teams factually have without any basis for the analysis outside of eye test or gut feel is silly.

Heather gave a hot take, ESPN knew it woukd rile folks up. Cecil took the bait and a twitter shit storm ensued. It will all be settled on the field. Cecil comes off as an ass too and I believe he has since apologized but didn't delete it. Heather is entitled to her opinion as wrong as I may see it.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
But to try and say that they haven't beaten anyone and claim that other teams factually have without any basis for the analysis outside of eye test or gut feel is silly
But that's exactly what the committee does.

cdyhybrid

I'm glad we've all come to the conclusion that the committee's decision-making process is nebulous, and thus we just need to settle this on the field by moving to eight teams with conference champ berths.

tebunker

Banned
But that's exactly what the committee does.
No, the thing is, we really have no idea what they do. It's my problem with the whole thing. No clarity or transparency. Nothing is same one year to the next.

They say that they take in all of this info, watch the games and then everyone ranks individually based on whatever criteria they hold on to and then they hash it out. Its weird. It's almost like what we do here weekly but with a lot more on the line monetarily. It seems to make no sense.

andycapps

I'm glad we've all come to the conclusion that the committee's decision-making process is nebulous, and thus we just need to settle this on the field by moving to eight teams with conference champ berths.
If it means conference championship games actually matter again then I'm all for expansion.

AkumaNiko

Interesting to see that if UW loses, The B1G winner is most likely to slide in, but that Colorado and to a lesser extent Oklahoma would get in. Michigan doesn't register (I think 2%)

If there are two losses, then 538 thinks it is the B1G champion and 60% Colorado or 30% Oklahoma

Also interesting to see that 538 believes that the argument is between OSU and the B1G Champion, and not UW vs B1G

538 also projected Clinton to win the election sooooo

tebunker

Banned
If it means conference championship games actually matter again then I'm all for expansion.

Sadly I think the only way thats happening is if we get 4 super conferences. We don't really need the BIG12 do we? Break them up in to the remaining 4

Dammit this thread made me miss my bus stop 😡

Wow so tOSU not having to play a champ game this week is really paying dividends. While the other top teams are preparing for the make or break champ games, they can sit back and snag some recruits while they await their playoff selection
And to add to that.. we are looking likely to snag Trey Smith from Tennessee..

So we are looking to snag Wilson, Browning, Okudah, and Trey Smith.. and add Pete Werner the 4 Star from ND..

It will have been a lovely week

Miggytronz

Wanna know why OSU is a shoe in for the CFP and the big 10 champ isnt?

Current get in the door price for B1G title game is $17.

Here's how I look at it....yes Penn State beat Ohio State but I guess most analyst, including Selection Committee, are looking at strength of Schedule and have Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin all ahead of them. I really think they are also breaking down each teams resume on the field. Every position.

Again this is my speculation.

Deacon

I'd prefer a similar system to the BCS formula or better yet let's stop beating around the bush and move to 4 super conferences. 9 game conference schedule, 3 OOC games will be 1 team from each of the other 3 conference. 4 conference championship games... There's your 8 team playoff.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Just skip the entire season of football and make the final 8 be:
OSUn
Michigan
Alabama
Notre Dame
Texas
USCw
All-Star amalgamation of the Florida Schools
Random Group of 5 team, so as to not appear completely full of shit.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

yeah I'm glad I dumped my tickets first thing on Saturday after PSU clinched and got good prices for them.

That market has tanked. There were about 12k tickets left on stubhub earlier today, it's down to 9600 now, but I know the listings expire today without last-minute services so some may have taken them down - and they may be selling a bit better with the el cheapo prices.

Challenge factor here is both teams weren't decided until late, both schools are a 7-8 hour drive away - and both schools know they are probably getting NY6 Bowls so neither fans are going to spend a bunch of money to get to Indy... though at this point they don't need to spend much to go to the game.

You'll get some last minute drivers when they realize they can go to the game for basically free, plus some folks in Indy who want to see good football for cheap, but yeah, 6-8k empty seats seems like a sure thing in the upper decks.

Subitai

ryseing

I'd prefer a similar system to the BCS formula or better yet let's stop beating around the bush and move to 4 super conferences. 9 game conference schedule, 3 OOC games will be 1 team from each of the other 3 conference. 4 conference championship games... There's your 8 team playoff.

G5 and FCS get fucked in that equation. No more payday games, no chance for a smaller school to make a statement. I'd only be OK with going to 8 if a G5 team ranked above say 15 received an autobid.

Piggus

Greg Schiano to Oregon is makin' the rounds.

All I want is someone who can recruit and develop better players on defense. At least get us back to a point where we were somewhat competitive defensively.

Jerm411

Reading a CBS Sports article about McElwain and Oregon....

"It's always interesting, this time of year, how whatever comes out," McElwain said. "No, I haven't heard from Oregon. The things that get thrown out there, at times, I don't know how it does sometimes. I guess slow news day. I got my hunch there might be some recruiting things behind it. I don't know."

When asked directly if planned to stay at Florida, McElwain responded "yeah."

Hmm....

FyreWulff

silly Oregon. Frost is Nebraska's future head coach if Riley and gang don't work out

Frost IS our next head coach. Riley was/is always going to be transitional between Bo "Pop Rocks and Coke" Pelini and whoever was long term afterwards.

I really can't think of anyone who'd be a) better and b) in Nebraska's spending budget

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Sure. Make the P5 winners get auto bids. Take the next 3 best teams. Have them play and go.

It's easy, stress free, conference winners matter, and you don't have to worry about rankings/seeding like a 6 team playoff cause of the bye teams.

It's easy. Too easy in fact. That's why it won't ever happen cause CFB has to be hard for "reasons."

Top Bottom