• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cxllege Fxxtball 2016 Week Thirteen: Whx gets the best lxss?

ag-my001

Until we get balanced schedules you cant have conf champ is auto in. Case in point, Va Tech avoided Clemson, Louisville and FSU this year during the regular season.
Pods for all!

(I actually really liked the pod schedule Connelly came up with for the SEC this past off-season.)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Until we get balanced schedules you cant have conf champ is auto in. Case in point, Va Tech avoided Clemson, Louisville and FSU this year during the regular season.

If it's a good enough system to give them a big conference champion trophy then it's a good enough system to put them in a playoff. Not every conference can do round robin.

Pods for all!

(I actually really liked the pod schedule Connelly came up with for the SEC this past off-season.)

Assuming you mean this it still has the balance problem. Somebody still gets Alabama as an every-year opponent and somebody else gets Vanderbilt.

cdyhybrid

If it's a good enough system to give them a big conference champion trophy then it's a good enough system to put them in a playoff. Not every conference can do round robin.
Yep. That comment sounds like more of an indictment of the conference than of auto bids for conference champs.

ryseing

Pods for all!

I came up with one for the ACC if ND is ever added and brings Navy with them as a thought experiment.

Pod A- Navy, ND, BC, Pitt
Pod B- VT, UVA, Louisville, Syracuse
Pod C- North Carolina schools
Pod D- Miami, Clemson, GT, FSU

8 conference games, play your pod + that year's pod + cross pod rival (there's an alternate for years when cross pods rivals are in the same pod)

Pod D is a little unfair to GT but they've had recent success.

ND gets three of its traditional rivals in conference play which frees up the noncon games. They can keep the Stanford and USC games, play a Big 10 team, and still have a cupcake. Probably the best conference offer that they would get.

Couple of the crosspod rivals are easy- UVA/UNC, Clemson/State, BC/Syracuse, VT/Pitt.

Karl2177

Iowa State to have the team be on the west side of the stadium instead of the east. West side teams are 24-10 the past 5 years.

It's also because it was stupid as hell to have the teams cross at halftime and after the game.

Who would take him?! LOL. Wait until he actually has success there before putting him in the ranks of desired coaches.
It was a joke. He's not going anywhere anytime soon. But he did have a winless team at least going bowling. And his name has been coming up mainly with the Oregon vacancy. Although I think it is just writers throwing names at a wall.

Which is a pretty good feat. But he needs a few more years of improving performance before he starts attracting more programs.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Iowa State to have the team be on the west side of the stadium instead of the east. West side teams are 24-10 the past 5 years.

It's also because it was stupid as hell to have the teams cross at halftime and after the game.

That's because they were playing Iowa State

ag-my001

Depending on the stadium, being on the west side gets you out of the sun earlier. Important for 3:30 ET games, but that's about it.

"Teams should decline CCGs if Michigan and Ohio State make the playoff"

http://thebiglead.com/2016/12/01/te...if-both-ohio-state-and-michigan-make-playoff/

The ignored consequences of a four-team playoff selected subjectively are poised to rear their ugly heads. Imagine the following scenario: Colorado defeats Washington. Clemson falls to Virginia Tech. Penn State narrowly edges Wisconsin in a sloppy, 9-7 game. The committee sets a field of Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.

Now imagine Florida upsets Alabama. Only one of the playoff teams would be a conference champion, and they'd likely be underdogs agains the other three teams.

That would be interesting.

Also, can you imagine how BamaGAF would be if they ran through two B1G teams on the way to another title.

can you imagine

andycapps

Now imagine Florida upsets Alabama. Only one of the playoff teams would be a conference champion, and they'd likely be underdogs agains the other three teams.

That would be interesting.

Also, can you imagine how BamaGAF would be if they ran through two B1G teams on the way to another title.

can you imagine

Oh I can.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Kevin Wilson out at Indiana, press conference at 6 PM tonight

Have to think there's another shoe to drop here as IU's been to back to back bowls and people are generally pretty happy with what's been going on (and Wilson just got a big extension last year). Might be firing him for cause.

Mark Schlabach ‏@Mark_Schlabach 6m6 minutes ago
Former IU player suffered concussion in practice b4 '15 season. His father said son was rushed back to workouts & symptoms went "haywire"

Mark Schlabach ‏@Mark_Schlabach 8m8 minutes ago
Former Indiana player told ESPN on Thursday that he & at least 5 other IU players interviewed about Wilson's treatment of players

for cause, then

1. Have every conference have a mandatory CCG
2. Winner of each CCG gets in
3. +1 wild card based on rankings

Seeds are determined by rankings. 1 and 2 get a first round bye, and then play the winner of the 3vWild and 4v5 matchups. Winners of those games get into championship game.

Boom. Rankings still matter so the rankings tv show gets to stay (yay $$), even teams in the playoff want to compete to get the first round bye, teams that look dominant but don't win their CCG have one shot, and not too many games are added. Plus we don't go to an 8-team (or worse) number of entrants.

bachikarn

1. Have every conference have a mandatory CCG
2. Winner of each CCG gets in
3. +1 wild card based on rankings

Seeds are determined by rankings. 1 and 2 get a first round bye, and then play the winner of the 3vWild and 4v5 matchups. Winners of those games get into championship game.

Boom. Rankings still matter so the rankings tv show gets to stay (yay $$), even teams in the playoff want to compete to get the first round bye, teams that look dominant but don't win their CCG have one shot, and not too many games are added. Plus we don't go to an 8-team (or worse) number of entrants.

If it were up to me, I would use your idea but with an 8 team playoff. Winning of 5 power conferences get in, one Group 5 team gets a guaranteed spot, and then three wild cards.

Regular season would matter because it is important for seeding.

If you are okay with 6, not sure what's the issue with 8. It's the same amount of weeks. Also think 8 is ideal as you get conf champs in but also have enough room to be fair if wonky stuff happens.

Quake1028

If it were up to me, I would use your idea but with an 8 team playoff. Winning of 5 power conferences get in, one Group 5 team gets a guaranteed spot, and then three wild cards.

Regular season would matter because it is important for seeding.

If you are okay with 6, not sure what's the issue with 8. It's the same amount of weeks. Also think 8 is ideal as you get conf champs in but also have enough room to be fair if wonky stuff happens.

Your idea is 9 teams, not 8.

Cday

Banned
If it's a good enough system to give them a big conference champion trophy then it's a good enough system to put them in a playoff.

No it's not because conferences operate off strict rules and the Playoff committee doesn't nor should it otherwise there'd be no point in having a group of people deciding who the 4 best teams are. It would just be a rule sheet. That's interesting. That's exciting.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
No it's not because conferences operate off strict rules and the Playoff committee doesn't nor should it otherwise there'd be no point in having a group of people deciding who the 4 best teams are. It would just be a rule sheet. That's interesting. That's exciting.

What you're talking about here is like the definition of the "it's not a defect, it's a feature!" meme.

Picking a champion shouldn't be primarily about being "interesting" or "exciting," that's why no other sports league on earth has a postseason that is 100% decided by opinion. Even the other college sports in the US with committees (eg basketball, baseball) have auto-bids and the opinion part only fills in the shoo-ins and the fringes.

Nothing is for sure yet, of course, but they're very likely about to put one team in the playoff over another team that not only beat them out for the conference championship but also beat them on the field. There is literally nothing in place that keeps them from putting 1-11 Fresno State into the playoff. That's a terrible system.

::edit::
FFS, in their official criteria document this is an actual paragraph that talks about why the new system will be better than the old BCS -
Under the current construct, polls (although well-intended) have not expressed these values; particularly at the margins where teams that have won head-to-head competition and championships are sometimes ranked behind non-champions and teams that have lost in head-to-head competition. Nuanced mathematical formulas ignore some teams who “deserve” to be selected.

Baron Browning commits to Ohio State..

giphy_s.gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really follow recruiting but a glance at Bama's commits has me confused. Only 1 DT, despite being maybe the thinnest position on the roster and losing at minimum half the current 2-deep at the end of the season?

Top Bottom