• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories appear on iTunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the tron soundtrack was amazing considering it's... well a soundtrack. It along with the art direction and visuals made TRON watchable.

jtb

Banned
I have almost the complete opposite of opinions of you in terms of music

Eh, I didn't like the Tron OST at all. It could have basically come from any of Hans Zimmer's generic army of composers, except slightly more electronic. Missed opportunity. If you hire Daft Punk to do your soundtrack, then I want to hear Daft Punk and hopefully hear them experiment a little bit, push the boundaries of their sound a little bit. But it just felt very conservative, very pointless.

Let me ask you, Mr. Opposite: Discovery or Homework?

Discovery

Symphonic

Eh, I didn't like the Tron OST at all. It could have basically come from any of Hans Zimmer's generic army of composers, except slightly more electronic. Missed opportunity. If you hire Daft Punk to do your soundtrack, then I want to hear Daft Punk and hopefully hear them experiment a little bit, push the boundaries of their sound a little bit. But it just felt very conservative, very pointless.

Discovery

Discovery. I also hate Han Zimmer, so I guess we're not too opposite. les b frands

Instro

Discovery

Yeah the brass in particular sounds like it was pulled right out of a Zimmer score. The classical instrument composition in general is pretty weak, as is the overall progression for most of the tracks in the movie. There are still some pretty cool pieces on the album though, Solar Sailor, End of the Line, Derezzed, etc, and overall its a more enjoyable album to listen to than HAA. Certainly a far cry from the work they did for Discovery/Interstella 5555, although I imagine the studio had a lot to do with that fact.

Majine

Banned
Coming in May, I guess/hope...

iE05KS0ZSW6t2.png

robox

i'm a little disappointed they didn't continue the daft punk logo for album covers

that sparkly version would've done nicely

Raiden

Banned
the tron soundtrack was amazing considering it's... well a soundtrack. It along with the art direction and visuals made TRON watchable.

Exactly. The soundtrack made the movie. It took me a while to realise why i actually liked this movie.

Zyzyxxz

I was disappointed with the Tron OST as well, but I have hope this will be good.

Well its an OST, did you try listening to the remix album, Legacy Reconfigured that's more general listening worthy than a normal movie OST.

Drago

Tron OST is cool I guess, but as an OST, it sucks, and as a Daft Punk album, it sucks, so... meh.

Human After All is just undercooked, a problem solved with Alive 2007.

I think it's pretty hard to deny that Daft Punk's recent output has been... inconsistent. But I think they could just as easily put out a great album and put all those worries to rest.

what

anyways I can't wait for this. Love me some DP :)

Tron as a movie and OST is so under-rated. Absolute masterclass in orgamismic audio/visual symmetry. I love chilling out and just absorbing it.

IceCold

Tron OST's is awesome. I don't know what some of you are smoking. Tron might not be the best movie out there but it's visually stunning. Great movie to showcase your tv setup.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Fuck yeah, love the title. This is going to be great. I'm quite a fan of Human after all, though I know it's much maligned.

Never quite grasped the HAA hate. Human After All, Robot Rock, Make Love and Television Rules the Nation are as much a part of my rotation as any other Daft Punk content.

xenist

Seeing non hymns regarding the Tron soundtrack and anything other than unbridled joy at a new Daft Punk album makes my brain short circuit.

IceCold

Never quite grasped the HAA hate. Human After All, Robot Rock, Make Love and Television Rules the Nation are as much a part of my rotation as any other Daft Punk content.

It's repetitive that's why, but I still enjoy it. It was also completed in only a couple of weeks and it shows (lazy sampling).

Alive 2007 redeems it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

I always wondered if the title "human after all" was a reference to the duo not being some kind of music gods (which goes along with their position about never showing their faces). So HAA is a stripped down, minimalist exercise that quite intentionally doesn't try to top the commercial appeal of Discovery. And it doesn't try to impress the fans who hated Discovery and wanted everything to be Homework.

It was just DP focused on the basics and coming up with a set of good tunes, with no pressure to overproduce them.

Edit: though to be fair, they also may have looked at it as creating their own base material for later exploitation aka Alive.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That's gunna be some good vinyl cover art... that font is right out of that late 70's early 80's... pretty cool.

IceCold

The title is making me think that this album is going to contain a lot of old school sampling, what do you guys think? It could refer to their musical memories and the artists that influenced them.

ASAP
Timberlake
Drake
Ross
Cudi
Daft Punk
Kanye
Janelle

all dropping this year, wow

I only care about these.

Zane

Holy shit. I've been waiting for this for eight years. THIS IS HAPPENING. AHHHHHHHHHHHH WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom