• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dai Gyakuten Saiban: new character revealed + Mob Trials (from PLvsAA)

L~A

Edit2 : 4Gamer.net got all the pics from Famitsu in good quality:

0044eup4.jpg
00607urm.jpg

0071tuzv.jpg
010pduga.jpg

011iuuhw.jpg
012ieuqn.jpg

013vhul8.jpg

alyu7n.jpg

Edit: summary.

Ash from Court Records has translated all the details (no link as scans posted there):

- Asougi Kazuma - Student of Imperial Capital Yuumei University (Teito Yuumei Daigaku, probably the precessor of Ivy University in GS3) and also an attorney. Close friend of Ryuunosuke. He hopes to improve the position of the defense attorney in Japan and plans to study in England to do that. He helps Ryuunosuke out in the first trial. Apparently the first trial is deemed 'a top secret trial' by the government.

- it's possible to cross-examine two people at the same time now.

- Mustache man's man Uzukmar (Uzukumaru, but I guess it's a German-esque name like for example Weimar).

- Autopsy report mentions someone dying at 2 PM. Cause of death: blood loss due to one gunshot. Bullet did not leave the body.

Famitsu scans are out, and there's some stuff about Dai Gyakuten Saiban (The Great Ace Attorney).

First of all, there's a new character called Asougi Kazuma. He'sPhoenix's friend, and helps him during (one?) of the trials. He studies at Taito Yuumei University. His clothes are quite similar to Phoenix's... they're basically the same, actually.

Also, it looks like the Mob Trial system from PLvsAA is back... in some You can see one witness (some sort of soldier) with an old man beside him. But it looks like it's limited to two witness at the same time, not 4 or 5.

No date yet, but the game will be playable at Jump Festa this week-end. Demo will be the same as the TGS one that was showcased on stage. There'll be a new special stage about the court part of a case taking place in Japan, most likely the first one.

Golnei

With the return of the mob trial system, the theory that this was initially a PLvAA sequel at some point seems a little more plausible...

Corgi

Banned
mob trials were fun the first time, but most of the time you are just pressing every statement, which typically isn't required in AA games.

The framerate also goes to shit.

hmmm

I hope Capcom localizes this game, the fact that they don't even make new games these days gives me hope that they see it as a way to of making Capcom USA to do something with their time.

I haven't played the Layton game but the mob system sounds interesting.

FluxWaveZ

Multiple witnesses was interesting in theory in PLvsPW, but it got to be too simplistic and redundant. Hopefully that was because the trials in that game were simplistic overall compared to an Ace Attorney game, so these could potentially be handled better.

Ancestor Phoenix's friend looks pretty cool, with the headband and everything. All the characters seem to have a pretty serious disposition in this game, and he's no exception. Seems like he'll be assisting Phoenix in at least the game's first case, in Japan.

L~A

I really wouldn't worry about the framerate. Different engine. Besides, AA5 ran flawlessly: I have no doubt this one will be the same, even with 3D.

Kazerei

Banned
I love the mob trial system, it lets them introduce a colourful cast of characters who interact with and contradict each other. Really livened up the cross-examinations.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Glad to hear that system might be returning for Dai Gyakuten Saiban. The multiple witness system from PWvsAA was frickin' awesome. XD

Einhander

When you said mob trial, it took me a couple seconds to register that you meant group witnesses. I thought you were saying actual mobster trials. Lol.

The game is looking good, but I fear it may be Japan only considering the nature of the game.

I hope Capcom localizes this game, the fact that they don't even make new games these days gives me hope that they see it as a way to of making Capcom USA to do something with their time.

I haven't played the Layton game but the mob system sounds interesting.

This is as likely to release worldwide as AA6.

Oh, it'll release worldwide for sure.

On the eshop, of course. Anyone hoping for a retail release however is going to end up disappointed.

L~A

Ash from Court Records has translated all the details (no link as scans posted there):

- Asougi Kazuma - Student of Imperial Capital Yuumei University (Teito Yuumei Daigaku, probably the precessor of Ivy University in GS3) and also an attorney. Close friend of Ryuunosuke. He hopes to improve the position of the defense attorney in Japan and plans to study in England to do that. He helps Ryuunosuke out in the first trial. Apparently the first trial is deemed 'a top secret trial' by the government.

- it's possible to cross-examine two people at the same time now.

- Mustache man's man Uzukmar (Uzukumaru, but I guess it's a German-esque name like for example Weimar).

- Autopsy report mentions someone dying at 2 PM. Cause of death: blood loss due to one gunshot. Bullet did not leave the body.

FluxWaveZ

Cross-examining two people at once sounds like a potentially better way to manage that mechanic than a whole lot of people at once. It could lead to the same fun interactions between witnesses, but then also give more opportunity to interact with the testimonies, as well as giving them more depth.

L~A

I really like the concept here shame we won't see another PLvAA at the moment though.

I did like PLvsAA too, but I'm not sure I'd like a new game. The one we got worked just fine on its own, not sure what a sequel would add, and it wouldn't have the novelty effect.

Then again, I'd buy it the second it'd be available on the eShop, so yeah...

Tizoc

Mob Trials were the BEST addition on PLvsAA, it's gonna be a blast to experience them again, but I worry for the frame rate lol.
Dat 10 man mob trial
in the last case of PLvAA.

I am always clueless as to what's being discussed in these Japanese game threads. Needs more screenshots. Please continue.

*Exits the thread*

Nyoro SF

I'm hyped.

But I hope for a physical release. As much as I like to challenge my JPN, having JP-only physical releases in my collection is a big downer. Didn't help that AA5 writing was a bit of a slogfest.

That autopsy report seems pretty detailed, I thought part of the point of a historical setting was that the advanced forensics stuff from the main games wasn't possible, or am I just underestimating how advanced autopsies were during that era?

Happy to see mob trails return though, especially if it improves on the ones from vsAA. I like the new characters design too, although if we move to London after the first case I guess he won't show up much after that.

daydream

Banned
Happy to see mob trails return though, especially if it improves on the ones from vsAA. I like the new characters design too, although if we move to London after the first case I guess he won't show up much after that.

I don't know, "secret government trial" sounds mighty ominous. I'm sure he'll play a big role in the overarching story.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Its hard to get excited about this since I don't see much chance about this coming to US. Maybe digital only, that'd be nice. But it's going to be at least a year after the JPN release.

This game is vaporware to me until it's announced NA....

I don't know, "secret government trial" sounds mighty ominous. I'm sure he'll play a big role in the overarching story.

And I completely missed the "He hopes to improve the position of the defense attorney in Japan and plans to study in England to do that." part, so yeah, seems like he'll show up a lot then.

Another major non-playable defense attorney charecter is new though, I can't think of any other characters like that in the series
who don't die or turn out to be a criminal after a case or two.

GSR

Another major non-playable defense attorney charecter is new though, I can't think of any other characters like that in the series
who don't die or turn out to be a criminal after a case or two.

Shigaraki (Ray in the fan translation) in AAI2, but that was also a game where you weren't playing as a defense attorney.

Anyway, loving this new info! It'll be fun to see a new twist on the mob trial system, and always good to get more new characters. My complete crackpot theory is immediately "he's this game's Moriarty somehow". More realistic guess would be he bites it either in the second case (which is at least partially set on a steamboat, presumably to London, from what we've seen) or the final case.

Or maybe we'll actually have a (non-Phoenix) mentor make it through safely!

D-Man

Ryunosuke's friend gives me some Edgeworth-like vibes. I wonder how important he'll be to the overall story.

Not really surprised that the mob cross-examinations are back. Hopefully they fix the frame rate issues PLvsPW had with it. The frame rate suffered majorly by the time of the last trial.

Top Bottom