• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 screenshots

Looks like they are continuing that trend of taking inspiration from Berserk:

270px-Bazuso.jpg

Never saw that connection before, its a cool one though. Loved the imagery of Berserk (particularly the darker bits of it). Zodd the Immortal is still one of my favourite anime/manga characters to this day.

Luminous_Reaver

Neo Member
I wish the souls games also emulated the best part about Berserk; its morose narrative. Berserk's soundtrack wasn't shabby either.

...They do? What about anything related to
Artorias
isn't morose? He basically
lost his mind saving his faithful companion. His dog then presumably spent countless years guarding his grave, while his lover just sat their until she literally withered away.
Or what about
Solaire
, he was giving a pretty bad karming screwing-over.

Midou

They certainly like their Berserk

Always thought it might be kind of cool if you had a brand like the one he did, and enemies could come after you and shit.

The biggest difference I guess, is that you are mostly a helpless undead, while he mows through hordes of enemies.

Limit

...They do? What about anything related to
Artorias
isn't morose? He basically
lost his mind saving his faithful companion. His dog then presumably spent countless years guarding his grave, while his lover just sat their until she literally withered away.
Or what about
Solaire
, he was giving a pretty bad karming screwing-over.

Well the souls universe is certainly gloomy but there is no actual attempt in telling a character driven narrative, a la bioshock infinite for example. I love narrative heavy games and I love gloomy stories even more; so I would love for FROMsoftware to attempt to construct a melancholic storyline for one of their future souls game.

Midou

Well the souls universe is certainly gloomy but there is no actual attempt in telling a character driven narrative, a la bioshock infinite for example. I love narrative heavy games and I love gloomy stories even more; so I would love for FROMsoftware to attempt to construct a melancholic storyline for one of their future souls game.

Yeah it would be pretty awesome to get something more like Berserk narrative wise. I do like the way the Souls game do story though. The subtle story telling means I usually find something new every run I do, and it also means every run I make doesn't involve me having to skip through cut scenes or NPC dialog. Though a game focused on a story while having souls gloominess would be a fresh change too, something like a series running in parallel from another team from them.

The Tower of Latria and the home stretch to Astraea were the closest the games ever came to actually making me feel that Berserkness in tone and atmosphere. Not too much in Dark Souls though, outside of a few things that could be tethered aesthetically to it.

6951032666_c4df322faf_b.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
What? Why? The game being more open world was great imo!

The world felt beautiful, well and truly cohesive. Having said that, I HATE open world games. I thrive on linearity - I want to walk through a video game, solving puzzles or (in this case) carefully beating dangerous enemies while leveling up my dude & gear. I don't want to spend a single minute "lost" or wandering around aimlessly. Too many other things going on in life that demand my attention for me to spend time doing that in a video game - no matter how beautifully realized it is.

The good thing is, it seems like DS2 is going to be fantastic, so I'm gonna go day 1 on it regardless.

Top Bottom