• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - March 2014

Midou

Be very afraid.

I think Dark Souls 2 might still be 'pure', but Dark Souls 3 certainly won't be.

Don't believe this to be honest. They know why people bought the games, they will never get Skyrim success, and they know this. They could have easily made Dark Souls 2 impure, nothing was stopping them, why would they change anything for next time? Dark Souls 2 will probably sell 3m with a bit more advertising, and that should be more than satisfying for someone like Namco Bandai. Not sure they would risk going in a mainstream direction and ending up with less when it is going so well already.

Plenty of people have been scared shitless that with every mention of other games or opening up the game, it would suddenly be ruined, but those people have been proven wrong when they released the game footage. Yet they continue to be super skeptical when there is little reason to be.

Edit: Folks must also remember FROM is self-publishing in Japan. That means Namco doesn't really get a say in how the game is being made, if Namco Bandai was unhappy with how Dark Souls 2 sold, they would simply drop them, and another less greedy publisher could simply pick them up instead.

Grief.exe

Don't believe this to be honest. They know why people bought the games, they will never get Skyrim success, and they know this. They could have easily made Dark Souls 2 impure, nothing was stopping them, why would they change anything for next time? Dark Souls 2 will probably sell 3m with a bit more advertising, and that should be more than satisfying for someone like Namco Bandai. Not sure they would risk going in a mainstream direction and ending up with less when it is going so well already.

Plenty of people have been scared shitless that with every mention of other games or opening up the game, it would suddenly be ruined, but those people have been proven wrong when they released the game footage. Yet they continue to be super skeptical when there is little reason to be.

Edit: Folks must also remember FROM is self-publishing in Japan. That means Namco doesn't really get a say in how the game is being made, if Namco Bandai was unhappy with how Dark Souls 2 sold, they would simply drop them, and another less greedy publisher could simply pick them up instead.

Playing devil's advocate here, they also know how Skyrim got the success it had.

Playing down to the lowest common denominator.

Eusis

Playing devil's advocate here, they also know how Skyrim got the success it had.

Playing down to the lowest common denominator.
It's not that simple, or else Fable would be a roaring success. Of course, it'll still be bad nevertheless if they try to seriously go in that "we want all the Skyrim players" direction with DSIII.

Tex117

Banned
FromSoftware has never been the developer (as of yet) that has gone for the blockbuster sales. So far, they have made games they want to make that a strong yet smaller fanbase has always appreciated and supported through sales.

AS OF YET being the operative phrase.

With the Souls series, IMO they have earned my money until they prove otherwise. No need to doubt them...yet.

I think we are all rightly concerned because we have seen alot of other developers go the way of the casual, but Im in it to see what happens.

The Souls games are the reason I still pick up a controller.

Midou

It's not that simple, or else Fable would be a roaring success. Of course, it'll still be bad nevertheless if they try to seriously go in that "we want all the Skyrim players" direction with DSIII.

They never even said they wanted that though. Like their last statement in regards to Skyrim was them hoping they could get some of the audience to Dark Souls 2 'even though the games are really different'. If their intention was to make a game for the Skyrim audience specifically, they could have done that from the start.

Yuterald

2014 feels like a long way off. Not that I'm in any rush to play this game. I'd rather them take their time. I hope they reveal King's Field V in the meantime!

lol, never going to drop this!

Midou

2014 feels like a long way off. Not that I'm in any rush to play this game. I'd rather them take their time. I hope they reveal King's Field V in the meantime!

lol, never going to drop this!

I played about 15 hours of King's Field IV recently, I love the atmosphere and puzzle solving. Would be nice to get a new one. I basically quit because I was getting really frustrated and lost though, and backtracking through several dungeons was kind of annoying, the warp system is a nice idea though.

Going by the two games he mentions, probably because he wouldn't have time for anything else. DS2 will be the end of all other games for 2-3 months for me.

I don't know if that could be the case for me. Dark Souls did make me rage a few times, so I should probably have some games set aside for when I need a break.

Top Bottom