• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

6for8

I'll try again. I will say, this dragon LOOKS awesome. It's just super cheesy. Be it the player cheesing or the one hit flame. Too bad they couldn't come up with something better... like maybe encouraging flame resistant gear and rings to actually face this thing one on one in an epic showdown.

Here you go, wet is best.
https://youtu.be/RmEKUGRTXvk

Dispelling + flame quartz rings, best flame resistant armour and flash sweat. I believe the +2 flame quartz is a guaranteed drop now so you should be able to get to 900 fire resistance and immune from fire. The DLC has even better gear so you could always do that if you are a little short.

Dispelling + flame quartz rings, best flame resistant armour and flash sweat. I believe the +2 flame quartz is a guaranteed drop now so you should be able to get to 900 fire resistance and immune from fire. The DLC has even better gear so you could always do that if you are a little short.
This is SotFS though and I thought folks earlier were saying they nerfed the dragon there. Is this possible in vanilla?

6for8

This is SotFS though and I thought folks earlier were saying they nerfed the dragon there. Is this possible in vanilla?

Spent most of my hours on the ps3 and I am almost positive I would use this strategy, I will boot it up later to make sure. I just did the hit a couple of times then bait the first couple of times I fought her, then it was gower's ring (patched) and finally fire protection. I think her fire was nerfed before SotFS.

The +2 ring was a rare drop in vanilla, not sure if it was made a guaranteed drop in a patch. If you did the Navlaan quest you should be close to 900 with the +1 ring, +2 better and the 2nd DLC you will be well over 900.

900 bonus is the ability to walk on lava.

Mistel

Banned

This is no longer possible at all as elemental defences cap at 890 preventing yourself from becoming immune to that form of damage this was patched several years ago in patch 1.06.

6for8

This is no longer possible at all as elemental defences cap at 890 preventing yourself from becoming immune to that form of damage this was patched several years ago in patch 1.06.

890 is close enough, tiny amount of damage gets through. Video I posted was made yesterday and I just tested it on the ps3 and it works fine. It was still listed at over 900, must be 890 behind the scenes.

Maybe PC has another patch?

Mistel

Banned
890 is close enough, tiny amount of damage gets through. Video I posted was made yesterday and I just tested it on the ps3 and it works fine. It was still listed at over 900, must be 890 behind the scenes.

Maybe PC has another patch?
It still gives you a display of +900 but it caps at 890 this was a all platform patch in 2014 it's not a new thing at all.

DeaDPo0L84

This game is currently $12 on ps4, is it worth that if me and my wife playthrough it together? We both played through DS3 and BB and loved them both but I know there were some hesitations with this entry.

This game is currently $12 on ps4, is it worth that if me and my wife playthrough it together? We both played through DS3 and BB and loved them both but I know there were some hesitations with this entry.

I'm playing through it now, I think the disdain for this game is completely overblown.

Finally retrying the dragon with the "stick to the toes" method and I can't get more than one hit if any at all before I have to run away lol. Doesn't seem like it likes being on the ground. Sure that "trick" wasn't patched out?. I'd be fine patiently doing this if it didn't happen to 180 every once in a while on take off making me unable to get to a safe zone fast enough (manipulating the camera to read its shadow, wings and tail while trying to flee is hard).

Edit: lol now that I'm trying to record it, I'm dying by stomp or tail crush. Smh

Edit 2: oh, and it shoots fire between its legs now just because. Amazing.

Edit 3: down to a sliver and I got greedy trying to take it out with one more slash and got killed.

Edit 4:
20170217_21434432op1.jpg
Ok, so I mainly stuck with its left back foot (my right) which had a rather predictable pattern. Lift leg, stomp, I get in a slash or two, wait for take off, run towards tail as it rotates mid flight, land, I strike foot, lift leg repeat.

My issue once I got to that point was unfortunate placement during the battle once we'd get too close to an edge, it would all of a sudden rotate the opposite way and leave me no room to run etc.

Yes, I spent all this time trying again. From a few tries before the initial post to finally defeating it right before this last edit (7:00-9:50 pm-ish). I did take a couple cracks at some Blue Knight sparring though. Damn lag.

Ok, now that THAT is out of the way, what should I do before finishing the game? I remember hunting down NPCs was a hit when I was playing DS1. Still advisable here? What if I decide on getting the dlc, will that hurt me in anyway with any quests?

Fuck Darklurker, right?
Hmm, maybe once I get my dragon head, I'll join the darklurkers before end boss/dlc.

I'm masochistic because while I waited for replies here regarding end game to-do lists, I decided to put down a summon sign for that damn dragon that I managed to beat once haha. That's actually a terrible boss fight to help with/get help from because of the one hit kills and large AoE attacks.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Newb question: how do I know if an item is better when I buy things? I bought an helmet, but it just tells me "D" in blue. How do I know before buying it what stats will improve?

Hmm, maybe once I get my dragon head, I'll join the darklurkers before end boss/dlc.

I'm masochistic because while I waited for replies here regarding end game to-do lists, I decided to put down a summon sign for that damn dragon that I managed to beat once haha. That's actually a terrible boss fight to help with/get help from because of the one hit kills and large AoE attacks.

I'm about at the same stage as you, getting ready to move into the DLC, but I had already started darklurking and wanted to see it through. But fuck, I killed this bastard but got killed by his other magic right as he fell.

JeTmAn81

So I bought SOTFS for PS4 on sale because I had Ds2 on PS3 but never played the DLC. Any tips for fastest way to get to the DLC? I'd rather not play the whole game again.

6for8

So I bought SOTFS for PS4 on sale because I had Ds2 on PS3 but never played the DLC. Any tips for fastest way to get to the DLC? I'd rather not play the whole game again.

The dk2 home page at wikidot has links to each dlc, quickest will be down the well in majula. Others you may as well play the game out and enjoy the sweet framerate.

Really busy now with it on sale, now is the time to get those sun medals.

Woof, this lag. Trying to PvP for dragon scales and I'm whiffing clear hits and getting teleported to backstabs. I never PvP so this is new to me.

Dk2 lag backstabs have nothing on dk1 and the 20' warp stab. There are problems but it has the best pvp in the series. You will get the hang of it.

Trogdor1123

Got this on the other day and I'm really liking it. For 12 you can't go wrong. I'm having trouble in parts though. Just beat the original sin dude, can't remember his name but he is in cuffs when you fight him.

I've been using a fire long sword +5 and it seems ok but could be better. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm using leather armor, it any good? Should I spend shards on upgrading armor or just weapons?

I'm about level 60 I think, mostly in dex and strength.

Is agility for invincibility frames?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Newb question: how do I know if an item is better when I buy things? I bought an helmet, but it just tells me "D" in blue. How do I know before buying it what stats will improve?

Anyone? I just wasted 2700 souls buying an armor that is worst than my robe. Playing as cleric, so far this class sucks, got a slow-swinging mace.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm not good at the game by any means but every armor has its virtues. What virtue are you looking for?

I don't know, but it never shows what will go up or down in the shop menu itself, which is really weird.

6for8

Got this on the other day and I'm really liking it. For 12 you can't go wrong. I'm having trouble in parts though. Just beat the original sin dude, can't remember his name but he is in cuffs when you fight him.

I've been using a fire long sword +5 and it seems ok but could be better. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm using leather armor, it any good? Should I spend shards on upgrading armor or just weapons?

I'm about level 60 I think, mostly in dex and strength.

Is agility for invincibility frames?

Agility (adp) will increase your frames, 100 agility is popular.

The long sword is awesome but if you keep leveling your strength you will want something that scales better. A large club is a good lower level strength weapon. Just look for weapons that use your stats and you like its moves.

I don't know, but it never shows what will go up or down in the shop menu itself, which is really weird.

Don't worry about the letter scaling of the armour, only if there is a number. That will be required to use the armour.

The stats that matter are on the equipment status area. Hit option and you can see what each stat does such as protection against slash damage or fire.

You can't compare to what you are wearing does suck, maybe take a screenshot of what you have equipped.

Trogdor1123

Agility (adp) will increase your frames, 100 agility is popular.

The long sword is awesome but if you keep leveling your strength you will want something that scales better. A large club is a good lower level strength weapon. Just look for weapons that use your stats and you like its moves.

Don't worry about the letter scaling of the armour, only if there is a number. That will be required to use the armour.

The stats that matter are on the equipment status area. Hit option and you can see what each stat does such as protection against slash damage or fire.

You can't compare to what you are wearing does suck, maybe take a screenshot of what you have equipped.
I'm a fan of fast weapons, don't really like the big huge ones as they are too slow and I'm not very good. Also where do you get the gems for infusing?

Forget to mention my enchanted falchion, that any good? Just got it in the belfry

6for8

I'm a fan of fast weapons, don't really like the big huge ones as they are too slow and I'm not very good. Also where do you get the gems for infusing?

Forget to mention my enchanted falchion, that any good? Just got it in the belfry

If you like quick weapons, I would slow down on the str and dex, maybe 20 20 until you need more. Level your vgr, end, adp and maybe INT or Faith for some spells.

Stones can be picked up from lizards, chests and some can be purchased. Trading smooth & silky to the crow might be the best way to get them. Having other weapons not infused with fire will be important. Also infused shields are a must.

Enchanted weapons scale with INT but not as well as magic weapons. However, magic weapon have split damage and enchanted are pure physical and can be buffed.

It happened again. Oh my fucking god it happened again.

Edit: And a third ;_;

Got him. Fuck that asshole. I haven't had that much trouble with any of the bosses I have faced in this game so far.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Wtf!

I feel like I'm gonna hate the cleric. I need a bow I guess if I want to use some long range attacks?
Also is it me or there is no reticule to aim where I throw throwing knives?

6for8

Wtf!

I feel like I'm gonna hate the cleric. I need a bow I guess if I want to use some long range attacks?
Also is it me or there is no reticule to aim where I throw throwing knives?

Most of the cool gear will be dropped and you can compare it once you own it.

Cleric will be tossing lightning bolts, they can be aimed with the binoculars as can all spells/miracles/hexes. Throwing knives could be pre-aimed with a bow or binocs. I was planning on putting a crosshair on my tv if that was available in 3.

Faith builds were nerfed a little after launch but can still kick ass. You can change the focus anyway and having a little faith will let you heal others quickly.

Can you lose intelligence in this game? I've incensed enough to wield a staff to rock a soul broadsword or something like that which has worked fine... until I went to use it while white knighting a boss battle. Now it's dim and unusable. What could have happened?

I have reinforced the staff, but I thought I had also used it afterwards.

I've done a bunch of PvPing for dragon scales (and have used it there).

I've imbued my main sword with lightning (the very last thing I did before putting down my summon sign and helping out in a boss fight when I noticed it wasn't usable).

Any clue?

Chris R

So I've been using the Lost Sinner's Sword +3 for some time now, but I'm kinda starting to hate how slow it is, if I miss an attack I'm open to multiple attacks that can easily kill me now that I'm fighting these lightning fast ninjas in the Iron Keep.

Are there any somewhat easy to acquire shorter but faster swords? I have a falchion +7 or +8 but it breaks so damn fast.

Mistel

Banned
So I've been using the Lost Sinner's Sword +3 for some time now, but I'm kinda starting to hate how slow it is, if I miss an attack I'm open to multiple attacks that can easily kill me now that I'm fighting these lightning fast ninjas in the Iron Keep.

Are there any somewhat easy to acquire shorter but faster swords? I have a falchion +7 or +8 but it breaks so damn fast.
A claymore really or one of the early game greatswords like a royal greatsword or the drangleic greatsword.

Chris R

A claymore really or one of the early game greatswords like a royal greatsword or the drangleic greatsword.

I'll have to try these out later tonight. I did switch back to my falchion+8 last night and it was doing ok (3 hits to kill instead of 2)

Smelter Demon still just wrecked my face. Even after I spent time getting the +1 fire defense ring and another item to reset my stats to do a build with the fire defense pyromancy. Enemies are despawning around the fog gate now though so pretty soon I'll just have a straight shot into the boss fight from the bridge bonfire :(

I'll have to try these out later tonight. I did switch back to my falchion+8 last night and it was doing ok (3 hits to kill instead of 2)

Smelter Demon still just wrecked my face. Even after I spent time getting the +1 fire defense ring and another item to reset my stats to do a build with the fire defense pyromancy. Enemies are despawning around the fog gate now though so pretty soon I'll just have a straight shot into the boss fight from the bridge bonfire :(
Tonight, I'll put my sign down. I always put it down there knowing it's a tough battle (had help, myself) but no one uses me.

Edit: there's another bonfire closer to the boss...

Chris R

Don't worry about putting your sign down. I never summon help. I want to beat the game by myself. I should just play offline, but finding creative ways to commit suicide when I'm invaded is kinda fun

6for8

You can roll through a jug of water for about 3 minutes of added protection from fire or use a pharros stone near the fog for 5 minutes. They stack with sweat and your ring protecting you from 99% of the fire damage. Get those items in the lava using the same method.

If you don't fight invaders at all and just kill yourself, burn an effigy in the bonfire. It gives you 30 minutes of peace. Can't summon when active.

Chris R

You can roll through a jug of water for about 3 minutes of added protection from fire or use a pharros stone near the fog for 5 minutes. They stack with sweat and your ring protecting you from 99% of the fire damage. Get those items in the lava using the same method.

If you don't fight invaders at all and just kill yourself, burn an effigy in the bonfire. It gives you 30 minutes of peace. Can't summon when active.

I was walking through the pharros lockstone pool, not rolling. Gonna try rolling here in a second.

And I enjoy depriving the invaders of a good fight by commiting suicide :D

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why are cheaper armors better? I'm comparing stats and some helmet that costs 2000 souls is much worst than one I have that cost 900.

6for8

Why are cheaper armors better? I'm comparing stats and some helmet that costs 2000 souls is much worst than one I have that cost 900.

In every possible way a flannel shirt is superior to a silk shirt, yet....

Fashion souls

Also, the hats might contain other boosts.

Mistel

Banned
Well considering some of the better sets you get essentially from looting the dead and grave robbing your not wrong, but it depends on which helms you're actually using.

Top Bottom