• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Just about to finish DS2 and started DS3. I'm going to ask something, but I'm fully acknowledging there are going to be biased responses and that's ok, I just want a general opinion.

Is the combat is DS2 better than DS3?

I've just played through 1 and 2. In the past I've played Demon Souls and Bloodbourne. I'm hoping that gives me a wide enough experience to say I don't think it is. Let me just add that I acknowledge this is a loaded question. To really answer it you have to think of game play mechanics between both games.

DS1 had a lot of flaws with its combat system. DS2 didn't solve them, but it did answer them and provided new mechanics. Power Stance, life gems, new mana items, weapon types and sorceries. DS2 may be a lot peoples worst game in the series, but it did do what a sequal should do and that was expand on the content. DS2 also has its flaws, rolling being one and life gems also having issues.

DS3 is a strange one. It's combat feels faster, but your actions are slower. Going from DS1 & 2 back to 3 is a really weird experince, if you've been maining certain weapons throughout. The longsword really feels slower than that others. To counter that you do have a lot more health than in previous entries...I suppose this all really focuses on the lvl design and progression of the game for me. In DS2 if you explored you could get a max lvl weapon reasonably fast. The areas were still tough, but once you maid it to a certian point the game expected you to have a maxed on weapon.

I could probably write an essay about this, but I would much prefer to hear what you guys think.

The Gutter is one of the best Souls areas, god damn. I absolutely loved the design and atmosphere of it. Earthen Peak also reminded me of Sen's Fortress a bit. Enjoyed both levels so much.

MilkBeard

The Gutter is one of the best Souls areas, god damn. I absolutely loved the design and atmosphere of it. Earthen Peak also reminded me of Sen's Fortress a bit. Enjoyed both levels so much.

I enjoyed the Gutter, I just wish that it was bigger.

Just about to finish DS2 and started DS3. I'm going to ask something, but I'm fully acknowledging there are going to be biased responses and that's ok, I just want a general opinion.

Is the combat is DS2 better than DS3?
My personal opinion is that DS3's combat is better, but that's simply because I enjoy the movement and fluidity that 3 has. If someone is a caster, for example, they will probably say that 2 is better. DS3 is basically Dark Souls 1's gameplay tweaked a bit. It has pluses and minuses. But I find it to be the most fun out of all the games to play (I'm a mostly melee build).

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Is it just me or are the servers always down on Xbox one?

No players ever to summon and the servers never work.

Jombie

I just got the
King's Ring
. How far into the game am I? Also did the main game get easier or harder with the SotFC updates?

Pretty far, about 3/4 through. I wouldn't say it's harder, but some areas are more annoying (Heide's Tower - the dragon and all of the knights aggroing after dragon rider is fucking dumb) and some less so (Dragon Shrine) than the vanilla game.

Normally I don't care for PvP and actively avoid it.

But holy shit am I happy I managed to pull this off at my SM range.

Mnz3SNZ.jpg

bLMpAi1.jpg

Probably the first and last time I invade someone.

(Also I was a complete and utter dick and healed the knight during the fight)

Done with the story and started the first DLC now (Sunken King) and it's god damn amazing (I'm a little past the 2nd bonfire). Really looking forward to all of the DLC content if it's this good.

The Darklurker
was the hardest fight in the game for my melee character despite doing him in post game. It got really difficult
once he split

Done with the story and started the first DLC now (Sunken King) and it's god damn amazing (I'm a little past the 2nd bonfire). Really looking forward to all of the DLC content if it's this good.

The Darklurker
was the hardest fight in the game for my melee character despite doing him in post game. It got really difficult
once he split

You enjoyed the first part of Sunken King?!
That was one of my least favourite areas in the game, but aside from that area in the 3rd DLC, the rest of the DLC is miles better than the Sunken King intro, so you're in for a treat.

Yes, I love it. Reminds me a lot of DeS and DaS. DaS2 sacrifices size and complexity of levels to fit more areas in which was an interesting approach but I'm happy to see a classic, huge area once again.

DaS2 is the last Soulsborne I had to finish and I liked it waaay better than when I played (and quit) it at vanilla launch in 2014.

Toxi

Banned
So I finally got around to playing Scholar of the First Sin.

This game is so much fucking better than I remember. I love just how involved the stats system is. I love how the combat forces a focus on proper positioning and stamina consumption compared to the dodge spamathon of Dark Souls 3 and the aggressiveness of Bloodborne. I love how I can start as a Dex build specialized in dual-wielding spears and curved swords, then switch to a pure strength build, then switch to a Strength/Quality build using the Fume Ultra Greatsword, then switch to a Faith build, and all the options are fun and viable. I love the many silly obscure secrets that go above and beyond From's usual fare. I love the fantastic DLC areas; as much as I love Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne, their best areas just pale in comparison to Brume Tower. I love how as soon as I start the game, the world is my oyster; shit like Affinity is available right at the start of the game if I work for it.

Mistel

Banned
I love how as soon as I start the game, the world is my oyster; shit like Affinity is available right at the start of the game if I work for it.
The options available are really quite diverse it gives you a lot of build variety off the bat.

So, the game's 12$ on Humble right now (monthly).

Would you recommend it? Currently at
The Duke's Archives
in DS1, it's a masterpiece, but I'm not expecting the same from DSII.

So, the game's 12$ on Humble right now (monthly).

Would you recommend it? Currently at
The Duke's Archives
in DS1, it's a masterpiece, but I'm not expecting the same from DSII.

Yeah, it's a great game.
The big thing that puts people off is the fact that things like rolling and how fast you drink Estus flasks are tied to a stat. If it bothers you, just pump your first 15-20 levels (you level up really quick on this- SL200 is a standard end game point) into adaptability, which'll give you DS1's style of rolling, more or less.

It's the biggest game in the series by far, and it's 3 DLC packs are some of the best parts of it.

Yeah, it's a great game.
The big thing that puts people off is the fact that things like rolling and how fast you drink Estus flasks are tied to a stat. If it bothers you, just pump your first 15-20 levels (you level up really quick on this- SL200 is a standard end game point) into adaptability, which'll give you DS1's style of rolling, more or less.

It's the biggest game in the series by far, and it's 3 DLC packs are some of the best parts of it.

Thanks! I'd also heard a lot about the high enemy number in SOTFS, but it's too late to worry about that... Because I bought it.

So I started playing, and coming right off of DS1 (I mean *right* off, quitted one and booted up the other), something about the character movement and the camera feels REALLY off. Did anyone experience anything similar? It's like my character has no weight to her- I feel that the regular movement speed is too fast.

Also, are there any "must have" mods a la DSfix? Using a gamepad.

Edit: Any deadzone fixes that don't trigger the softban?

Edit: Installed one, I'm not much of a multiplayer person anyway.

Mistel

Banned
So I started playing, and coming right off of DS1 (I mean *right* off, quitted one and booted up the other), something about the character movement and the camera feels REALLY off. Did anyone experience anything similar?
The movement is indeed a lot more floaty than 1 it's something you'll get used to.

The movement is indeed a lot more floaty than 1 it's something you'll get used to.

It's not so much about the movement itself but the deadzone fix got rid of that weird feeling I had. I understand that it'd need to be far more floaty since the areas are wider.

It's not so much about the movement itself but the deadzone fix got rid of that weird feeling I had. I understand that it'd need to be far more floaty since the areas are wider.

Again, adaptability, and any other stats that raise your agility, helps with that slightly.

You should get your agility to 105 at least, but it hard caps at 120.

Whose idea was it to decrease your max HP every time you die, lol...

Anyway, I managed to find The Forest of Fallen Giants and two bonfires but I have no idea where to go next. Everything seems like it's fully cut off without any way to proceed. Found nowhere else I could go in Majula or Things Betwixt, either. I did find the cathedral-like room beneath the second bonfire, but both doors there appear to be locked and I have nowhere else to go. I did find the scaffolding you drop down to right after exiting the bonfire but I can't, for the life of me, where to go from there. I dropped down to the bottom (where some tortoise-like thing mauls you with a big hammer) but that's a dead end as far as I've seen, too.

Whose idea was it to decrease your max HP every time you die, lol...

Anyway, I managed to find The Forest of Fallen Giants and two bonfires but I have no idea where to go next. Everything seems like it's fully cut off without any way to proceed. Found nowhere else I could go in Majula or Things Betwixt, either. I did find the cathedral-like room beneath the second bonfire, but both doors there appear to be locked and I have nowhere else to go. I did find the scaffolding you drop down to right after exiting the bonfire but I can't, for the life of me, where to go from there. I dropped down to the bottom (where some tortoise-like thing mauls you with a big hammer) but that's a dead end as far as I've seen, too.

I think they were going for more of a Demon's Souls system, health lower when not human encouraging players to be human. Dark Souls 1 really had little benefit to being human if you weren't doing PVP/summoning. At least it drops progressively and not directly to half.

For progression, there is indeed another path you could have gone from Majula, I missed it too when I was searching the first time.
On chance you consider this a spoiler and want to find everything yourself I've used spoiler tags:
down the hall near the house with the cat, you will eventually come to a gate, there is a pulley nearby to raise it.

On the Forest of Fallen Giants, from the Cardinal Tower Bonfire, there is a opening with no door right next to the base of the ladder and leads to both another locked door and the path forward. I'm not using spoiler tags for that because the opening is literally right next to the ladder, I'm a little surprised you missed it if you crossed to the other side of the bridge and saw it was locked too.

Unai

So I started playing, and coming right off of DS1 (I mean *right* off, quitted one and booted up the other), something about the character movement and the camera feels REALLY off. Did anyone experience anything similar? It's like my character has no weight to her- I feel that the regular movement speed is too fast.

Also, are there any "must have" mods a la DSfix? Using a gamepad.

Edit: Any deadzone fixes that don't trigger the softban?

Now that Steam have custom controller settings for all controllers, you don't need third party apps anymore. You can fix that disgusting dead zone using Steam itself.

Now that Steam have custom controller settings for all controllers, you don't need third party apps anymore. You can fix that disgusting dead zone using Steam itself.
Well, it's been several hours since I installed it and I still see a summon sign once in a while so I don't think I'm softbanned yet, but how do I fix it via Steam?

Edit: Also holy shit bloodstains and messages are EVERYWHERE, they were nowhere as common in DS1.

I just need to get to Wellager for the Platinum, I'm up to the Iron Keep and have beaten Lost Sinner so far on NG++, but I've always had a lot of trouble with this section especially just getting past the first boss of the area and to the main boss. I've been after this Plat for like 2 years and just want to get it over with lol.

Would really appreciate some assistance, I know I won't get a response right away so I'll just leave my PSN ID, and anyone with a soul just add/message when available and I'll be at the first bonfire by the bridge. Thanks!

ID = retrobrando

Unai

Well, it's been several hours since I installed it and I still see a summon sign once in a while so I don't think I'm softbanned yet, but how do I fix it via Steam?

Edit: Also holy shit bloodstains and messages are EVERYWHERE, they were nowhere as common in DS1.

These are my settings for the DualShock 4, but it should be pretty much the same for a xbox controller. The things you'd want to tweak are:

- Output anti-deazone;
- Output anti-deadzone buffer

But since you're already using a third-party tool, there's no need to change it now. I don't think these things ban people.

Update, managed to get everything done except the Iron Keep, it's now the only thing between me and the Platinum and I'm burned out on trying to get to the IK boss from the Ironhearth bonfire.

If anyone could drop a summon sign at that bonfire I would really appreciate the help. Soul level is 220 something.

Edit: made it alone, guess I need to stop being a little bitch and just do it lol

Is it normal that I'm having a really difficult time clearing out the immediate area of the Soldiers' Rest bonfire? Heard about the Pursuer (and currently working on defeating him), so I'm not stuck, but having four Old Ironclad Soldiers attacking you at once is INSANE. Who thought this was a good idea?

Besides that, I'm loving this. The polish (UI etc.) really enhances the experience for me. It feels like an altered take on the Souls formula, and while I feel that DS1's "take" was better (tight, interconnected world with fewer bonfires, infinite respawns, etc.) I really like that DS2 has tried to switch things up. I also feel like (despite the looming threat of running out on Effigies and getting stuck with half HP, and the difficulty of Soul grinding) DS2 demands less from me in terms of patience and observation, and I kind of like that, it makes the experience less stressful.

I'm a Swords(wo)man, what should I use on my left hand? Using a Fire Longsword on my right hand. I couldn't find a Catalyst yet, but I have Great and normal Soul Arrow sorceries and will change over to that once I find a catalyst. Tried a Bow and the Whip but they didn't work very well. A spear, perhaps? The merchant disappeared though, so I don't know where to get one (the blacksmith?)

Currently engaging the Pursuer, and grinded for a few levels around the area.

Mistel

Banned
Is it normal that I'm having a really difficult time clearing out the immediate area of the Soldiers' Rest bonfire? Heard about the Pursuer (and currently working on defeating him), so I'm not stuck, but having four Old Ironclad Soldiers attacking you at once is INSANE. Who thought this was a good idea?

Besides that, I'm loving this. The polish (UI etc.) really enhances the experience for me. It feels like an altered take on the Souls formula, and while I feel that DS1's "take" was better (tight, interconnected world with fewer bonfires, infinite respawns, etc.) I really like that DS2 has tried to switch things up. I also feel like (despite the looming threat of running out on Effigies and getting stuck with half HP, and the difficulty of Soul grinding) DS2 demands less from me in terms of patience and observation, and I kind of like that, it makes the experience less stressful.

I'm a Swords(wo)man, what should I use on my left hand? Using a Fire Longsword on my right hand. I couldn't find a Catalyst yet, but I have Great and normal Soul Arrow sorceries and will change over to that once I find a catalyst. Tried a Bow and the Whip but they didn't work very well. A spear, perhaps? The merchant disappeared though, so I don't know where to get one (the blacksmith?)

Currently engaging the Pursuer, and grinded for a few levels around the
Soldiers rest is a later game area there's not much there of use to you in an early game other than a greatsword. As for what to use in your other hand you can just two hand your longsword or try a shield if you prefer. Spears and a sword are bit of an odd couple pair though but if you want to try it nothing is stopping you. The blacksmith will sell a basic spear for 1400 souls.

Soldiers rest is a later game area there's not much there of use to you in an early game other than a greatsword. As for what to use in your other hand you can just two hand your longsword or try a shield if you prefer. Spears and a sword are bit of an odd couple pair though but if you want to try it nothing is stopping you. The blacksmith will sell a basic spear for 1400 souls.

Thanks!

I think I've hit a major snag...

First off, a non-spoiler question: Is the Twinblade a good weapon? Upgraded it to +5 (and then infused with magic) but my Scimitar still seems better in every way except crowd control. Love the moveset though so I still really want to use the Twinblade (going for DEX/INT).

Just finished The Lost Bastille. Belfry Gargoyles are an incredibly shitty fight (it copies DS1, down to the music, but is so much more annoying), so I'm pissed and I'm leaving it for later.

Used the elevator in Sinners' Rise and what the hell, does that Flexile Sentry respawn or not? Seeing Pursuers fucking EVERYWHERE was enough, but now they're reusing this too? God damn, I miss the originality of DS1.

I also have Doors of Pharros.

Which area out of the three (Belfry Luna, Sinners' Rise, Doors of Pharros) should I do next?

Ferr986

First off, a non-spoiler question: Is the Twinblade a good weapon? Upgraded it to +5 (and then infused with magic) but my Scimitar still seems better in every way except crowd control. Love the moveset though so I still really want to use the Twinblade (going for DEX/INT).

Just finished The Lost Bastille. Belfry Gargoyles are an incredibly shitty fight (it copies DS1, down to the music, but is so much more annoying), so I'm pissed and I'm leaving it for later.

Used the elevator in Sinners' Rise and what the hell, does that Flexile Sentry respawn or not? Seeing Pursuers fucking EVERYWHERE was enough, but now they're reusing this too? God damn, I miss the originality of DS1.

Which area out of the three (Belfry Luna, Sinners' Rise, Doors of Pharros) should I do next?

For DEX/INT use a Dragonrider Twinblade. It is a very good DEX/INT weapon, especially with magic infusion and buffs.

I can't comment on the weapons, as I never used those.
In terms of progress:
Belfry Luna is just the boss, so it's up to you if you want to fight them now or not. It's primarily used for the covenant you can join there.
Sinners Rise is the next main location, and is the end point of that current progress path (so Forest of Fallen Giants/No Man's Wharf>Lost Bastille>Sinners Rise).
Doors of Pharros will take you to your next progress path, so unless you get really stuck in the other two places, I'd do this last.

For DEX/INT use a Dragonrider Twinblade. It is a very good DEX/INT weapon, especially with magic infusion and buffs.
Found it, got it! I need to level Strength a bit still, though.

After that, I'll focus on INT.

I can't comment on the weapons, as I never used those.
In terms of progress:
Belfry Luna is just the boss, so it's up to you if you want to fight them now or not. It's primarily used for the covenant you can join there.
Sinners Rise is the next main location, and is the end point of that current progress path (so Forest of Fallen Giants/No Man's Wharf>Lost Bastille>Sinners Rise).
Doors of Pharros will take you to your next progress path, so unless you get really stuck in the other two places, I'd do this last.

Is Belfry Luna
really only that place with an invader and many dogs?

Finished Sinners' Rise.
Will I know when I get the key that opens all the locked doors in the flooded prison?

Got to Huntsman's Copse but because it seems to be a wholly different progress path altogether, I'll probably just reclaim my souls and go back to Doors of Pharos.

Found it, got it! I need to level Strength a bit still, though.

After that, I'll focus on INT.

Is Belfry Luna
really only that place with an invader and many dogs?

Finished Sinners' Rise.
Will I know when I get the key that opens all the locked doors in the flooded prison?

Got to Huntsman's Copse but because it seems to be a wholly different progress path altogether, I'll probably just reclaim my souls and go back to Doors of Pharos.

Yeah, that's all it is as far as I remember. You just need to clear them out, and grab whatever loot is there. The red phantom drops something too.

You should have the key to the cells in Sinner's Rise already, because you use it to open those doors on either side of the boss room prior to fighting the boss. It's in
The Lost Bastille somewhere.

Huntsman's Copse is the other progress path. That's probably the more fun of the two, but neither are really hard compared to the other, so you may as well stick with Doors of Pharos.

Lol there was a whole level with Taurus/Capra demons and you refight the same demon reskinned 3 times as bosses in DS1.

Fair enough, but DSII takes it to the max. The Pursuer is everywhere (three different spawn spots just in The Lost Bastille), the Flexile Sentry is reused too and fucking respawns- only two areas after it appears as the boss. The Gargoyles fight is almost straight-up lifted from DS1.

Also, unrelated but... (DS1 spoiler)
Is it just me or does the entrance of the path between the first Doors of Pharros bonfire really resemble the entrance to Kiln of the First Flame from DS1?

Defeated the Doors of Pharros boss. There appears to be a door that needs 3 Lockstones to unlock, so I'll try my chances to see if I can unlock it. Ran out of Lockstones. Loved the area and how labyrinthine it was lol. (Also, using a Twinblade finally clicked, so there's that.) Could be my favorite area bar Majula (and perhaps Heide) so far.

So I was thinking of getting back into this with the steam sale to try the DLC for the first time.

Any suggestions on fun builds/weapons for PvE? I forget what I used the first time through, I think a Mace in the beginning and something else towards the end, but I'd like to go for something more interesting

Nothing super complex though, like having to fight seven bosses severely underpowered while rushing to get one specific item and having to manage a bunch of different stats, etc.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I was thinking of getting back into this with the steam sale to try the DLC for the first time.

Any suggestions on fun builds/weapons for PvE? I forget what I used the first time through, I think a Mace in the beginning and something else towards the end, but I'd like to go for something more interesting

Nothing super complex though, like having to fight seven bosses severely underpowered while rushing to get one specific item and having to manage a bunch of different stats, etc.
Depends on what kind of playstyle you like. Magic, melee? No shield pure dodging, or tanking with big shields?

Sarcasm

Anybody have a really good guide? I had a character before losing family access. I killed the lost giant but don't think I fully cleared that zone, any suggestions where to check?

Depends on what kind of playstyle you like. Magic, melee? No shield pure dodging, or tanking with big shields?

I think I'm going to lean towards STR, mostly focused on dodging instead of tanking. I was thinking Greatsword when I get it into eventually Red Iron Twinblade, which looks awesome and is supposedly good?

Any suggestions on early game stuff to look out for if I'm going that way? Also, what is important stat wise? I'm currently pumping adaptability to get some agility, along with health, stamina, and STR. I haven't put anything into equip load yet, is that all that necessary?

Any suggestions on quality armors, or should I just equip whatever is cool and isn't super heavy?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think I'm going to lean towards STR, mostly focused on dodging instead of tanking. I was thinking Greatsword when I get it into eventually Red Iron Twinblade, which looks awesome and is supposedly good?

Any suggestions on early game stuff to look out for if I'm going that way? Also, what is important stat wise? I'm currently pumping adaptability to get some agility, along with health, stamina, and STR. I haven't put anything into equip load yet, is that all that necessary?

Any suggestions on quality armors, or should I just equip whatever is cool and isn't super heavy?
Yes, the red iron twinblade isn't called the red iron winblade for no reason :) Excellent weapon, honestly probably the best DPS weapon of the game. I dislike greatswords and greataxes in this game personally, because the whole must-aim-manually-even-when-locked-on throws me off, but if you don't mind that, it can serve you well until you get the twinblade. For my part I used mostly the mace as quick weapon and something like a claymore or a greataxe (hated the moveset but sucked it up) if I wanted more raw power.

For stats, HP (VIG), stamina (END) and STR are mandatory. Definitely go with ADP if you decide to no-shield instead of tanking, if not, focus more on raising VIT for more equip load as greatshields are heavy, and STR weapons tend to be heavy as well.

I always just Fashion Souls all the time myself. Though I do try to mix good stats and good looks, if I can, but yeah, so long as you upgrade your armour, you should be OK defense-wise.

Where should I go? I found a nest in some empty castle part that flew me to two chests.
So you beat Pursuer. You can start exploring this castle, or you can return to Majula and go to Heide's Tower of Flame. I would recommend doing the latter first, but you can at least dip your toes in the castle and open the first door that is blocked by obstacles (you can't open it coming from the other side as the crates/barrels block it). If you continue along Heide's path, eventually you will ALSO reach the Bastille but through another section. It's kind of cool.

Fou-Lu

I have yet to manage to complete a Souls game, it's not that I don't like them. I do. I just always end up reaching a point where there is an enemy or group of enemies I hate dealing with so much that I drop the game. I've decided to give Dark Souls II a chance though, as I never have even though I own it on Steam.

Can anyone recommend a good build that won't have difficulty with any specific enemy types through out the game? Other than that, any general tips would be nice.

Top Bottom