• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Blood-Starved Beast grab says hi. You cannot dodge it if you're in melee range. You have to actually be dodging before it even initiates. I guess you aren't actually talking so much about mechanics as you are how it actually looks on screen, but Bloodborne has the worst hitbox issues so far of the four Souls games. Considering how bad they were in Dark Souls 2, that's saying a lot.
I call shenanigans on this. I faces blood starved beast 3 times and was only grabbed once due to my error. I want proof of hitbox issues because so far I've seen none.

And to stay on topic I'll probably get this after I'm done with Bloodborne completely and this is one sale. I tried playing this a few months ago immediately after finishing DS1 but was burned out and turned off to it due to how similar it is. I want to avoid that feeling by waiting a little this time.

I get sad everytime. It's a problem but it's not game breaking and doesn't happen nearly as often as these people seem to say or think. I've played a ton ton ton of the game and the only one that's really consistently present with over head swings from smelter and pursuer.

It doesn't consistently happen as badly as the screenshots I've posted would have people believe, you're right. But the combat in general feels off in ways you can't always put your finger on, and I feel like this is a big part of it. I mean it's obviously a real issue that in theory can happen on any attack and with any occurrence of collision detection. So it stands to reason that it also happens in ways that are much more subtle than what these screenshots are presenting. Ways that you might not be able to say "oh bam! That was messed up right here!" but that overall contribute to an awkward feeling. And that sense of awkwardness, to me, was present in almost every fight.

Why don't you dig through my post history and see how little animosity I have for DS2. I liked the game, I just hated certain aspects. And those gifs are easily found by googling DS2 Hitboxes. Not really hard.

I'm not trying to call out people in particular or dig through posts history to prove people are "haters" I just seen the conversation once again becoming about the negatives as it always does and made a comment. That's all. I don't think you have a vendetta or anything.

I started with Dark Souls, played DS2, went back to Demons, then played BB.

Difficulty ranking:

BB > DS1 > DeS > DS2

I struggled more with BB's first few bosses then I did the entirety of other Souls games. Orenstein & Smough were super tough in DS1. Maneaters gave me trouble in Demons. I don't recall much difficulty in DS2. Most of the bosses were pretty easy, aside from a couple. Struggled more with coming to terms with how DS2 played then any of the bosses really.

Spoo

Tell it to me straight GAF -- as someone who owns the PC version of Dark Souls 2 with no DLC, is this worth a buy?

Lingitiz

With BB it's very hard to build a shit character that won't stand a chance against a boss. In DS I was constantly afraid that I was fucking up in some way which lent an underlying cause for making it so difficult. BB is so much easier than Dark Souls for that reason IMO.

Blood-Starved Beast grab says hi. You cannot dodge it if you're in melee range. You have to actually be dodging before it even initiates. I guess you aren't actually talking so much about mechanics as you are how it actually looks on screen, but Bloodborne has the worst hitbox issues so far of the four Souls games. Considering how bad they were in Dark Souls 2, that's saying a lot.
Hmm. I got ripped to shreds by that one once and it did feel insanely unfair. Its the only time I actually shouted "bullshit!" at the TV. So far anyway. Hah.

Then again I'm not all that great at these games, though patience, deliberate aggression and situational awareness has seen me through most dangers so far, so who knows.

I'm not trying to call out people in particular or dig through posts history to prove people are "haters" I just seen the conversation once again becoming about the negatives as it always does and made a comment. That's all. I don't think you have a vendetta or anything.

Well you come in here acting very dismissive of people posting gifs when they wanted to know if one of the issues they had with it were hopefully fixed in a re-release. Doesn't seem like an unreasonable question, and then someone decided to say it was intended to be that shitty. It comes off as incredibly douchey.

This is a good point. It would have been interesting to see if Bloodborne was the first to come out, I have a feeling the lists would look pretty different.

It's such a unique series too that actually forces you to become a better player and I think all those skills carry over to the next one.

Kalnos

Banned
Tell it to me straight GAF -- as someone who owns the PC version of Dark Souls 2 with no DLC, is this worth a buy?

The new version basically costs the same as the DLC if you own the original game (and includes the DLC), so yes.

With BB it's very hard to build a shit character that won't stand a chance against a boss. In DS I was constantly afraid that I was fucking up in some way which lent an underlying cause for making it so difficult. BB is so much easier than Dark Souls for that reason IMO.

I'm not actually sure that's true across any of the games. My very first character in DS I had an awful build and made it all the way to Orenstein. By awful, I mean I had a lot of points in resistance and none in endurance and some gibberish dex/str maxing.

Vitor711

Yes, yes and yes. The DLC is the best part of the game. Possibly of any Souls game. You're missing out. And, at this point, it makes more sense to get the upgrade than just the DLC by itself. So do it.

Vire

It's such a unique series too that actually forces you to become a better player and I think all those skills carry over to the next one.

That's why I think people's first experience with one of these games will always be the one they hold dearest. Mario Kart is the same way for me, nothing can ever top the SNES version.

You remember all the trials and tribulations you went through to get that point... breezing through the end of BB was a bit of a disappointment, but overall, the game is still one of the best I've played in years. (Probably my favorite game since The Last of Us to be honest).

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
On your particular case, yes.
The DLC is outstanding.

Yes, yes and yes. The DLC is the best part of the game. Possibly of any Souls game. You're missing out. And, at this point, it makes more sense to get the upgrade than just the DLC by itself. So do it.

Yes, the DLC is incredible.

Fantastic to hear even more good impressions of the DLCs considering I haven't even played a single one of them yet. Hype increasing.

Sami+

They're all hard game, and deeply subjective due to people having literally hundreds of hours of experience as they move on to different games in the series. Different play styles matter, too.

I'm kind of alone in thinking most of BB's bosses are a joke, I guess, but healing scaling with max HP is completely breaking, IMO.

Nah, so far I've only died to four bosses. All the ones people seem to be having trouble with I got on my first try lol.

Cleric Beast (died like six times), Paarl (died twice, came back about ten levels later with a new weapon and curbstomped him), Shadows of Yharnam (died once), and Rom (died once).

I've been playing these games since Demon's came out in 09 though, and shieldless melee has always been my preferred playstyle, so I eased into Bloodborne very fast.

So basically, no one agrees on the the difficulty rankings haha.

I guess that means From Software did their job.

I've heard some boss mechanics or attacks in Bloodborne are either bugged so they don't occur in fights at all or are keyed to insight somehow so that might effect the difficulty rankings somewhat.

I died FAR fewer times in BB than Dark Souls 1 and 2 and there were only 2 bosses in that game I didn't beat on my first or second try.

Also, just because you have to be dodging before it initiates doesn't mean it's a problem with the hitbox. It just means his grab attack is fast. It's not a bug unless you can break it down frame by frame and show that you are registering an attack without making contact. And Bloodborne has none of that. In my experience Bloodborne has far superior collision detection than any of the other games. There's been times where my character missed contact with the enemy by what looked like a miniscule amount, and the game correctly did not register a hit. There's been other times where we barely grazed each other, and damage happened correctly and the animations all looked normal. Bottom line, in Bloodborne I have never seen an instance of damage being registered without making actual contact.

The one issue that *is* still present is that enemies and weapons can peek through walls and doors sometimes. So if there's an enemy on the other side of a wall, you can stand against the wall and smack your whip from relative safety. I admit that is still an issue. Aside from that one specific thing, the collision detection is almost perfect.

Roubjon

Omg, I had no idea this was coming out so soon... I still need to buy Bloodborne first. I've really been looking forward to this after not buying it originally because I had a feeling it would get a remaster.

Two new souls games, I'm in heaven yo.

takoyaki

Great OP, thanks for pointing out the differences between the versions.

Bloodborne was/is a great experience, but I do miss magic, the slower combat and the more colorful setting. Will triple-dip on PS4.

Randam

Nope like the other guy says, it actually cleanly intersects the players foot. This is an example of the hit detection being too good and registering hits that some players can't even see, not the hit detection being poor.
In this case "too good" means worse though..

Nah, so far I've only died to four bosses. All the ones people seem to be having trouble with I got on my first try lol.

Cleric Beast (died like six times), Paarl (died twice, came back about ten levels later with a new weapon and curbstomped him), Shadows of Yharnam (died once), and Rom (died once).

I've been playing these games since Demon's came out in 09 though, and shieldless melee has always been my preferred playstyle, so I eased into Bloodborne very fast.

Same here I also played 2 handers in the other games and rarely relied on my shield I only used grass crest shield for the faster stamina regen so going into BB felt very natural to me I had to get used to the speed for the first hour or so but then after that it was fine. Only time I really die are when I accidentally kill myself due to falling or playing reckless on purpose to mess around with new weapons.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
In terms of difficulty how would everyone rate the series from hardest to easiest now that Bloodborne has been out for a little bit?

DS1 > BB = DS2 >>>>>>>>>> DeS

DeS is really easy. Finished my first playthrough in about 15 hours.

Shepard

No steam store link yet? The only one I found is from India(?), region locked.
Edit: nvm, answered in the first page.

moozoom

What do you think about the new enemy placements that you have discovered thus far? Does it seem like they've revamped it in a big way, or is it just tweaked here and there?

I didn't go too far yet, but I did a bit of the Forest of Fallen Giants (stopped just before the 1st boss ) and also killed a few knights in Heide's Tower of Flame (stopped just before boss
Dragonrider
)

In forest of fallen giants, the rhythm of the encounters is quite different - sometimes the enemies aren't in the same place or act in a different way. I've been almost killed by a mob that came behind me when I thought the place was clear, which made me more cautious afterwards. It compensates the feeling of knowing the levels by heart.

Finding a new strategy to clear the levels will probably be a nice replay value, if they don't drown you in mobs just for the sake of it later. This will be my second playthrough of DS2 so I've still many things to try with different builds and NG+

Can't wait for this. Been waiting for this upgrade to finally really delve into the meat of the DLCs. Haven't even touched the third one, and only got about halfway through the second one. Beat the first DLC, but I've left it alone long enough I should be able to go back and it feel fresh, especially with the new item/enemy placements.

Kazuhira

If we´re talking about level design,yes,the DLCs are totally superior to the main game but i still think that the Sunken king sucked,Old iron king was amazing in every aspect and Ivory king was ok-ish except for some badass moments.

Well you come in here acting very dismissive of people posting gifs when they wanted to know if one of the issues they had with it were hopefully fixed in a re-release. Doesn't seem like an unreasonable question, and then someone decided to say it was intended to be that shitty. It comes off as incredibly douchey.

I am guilty of seeing negative posts and thinking it was gonna snowball into another #downgradathon shit fest. Apologies.

on an unrelated note I was actually really surprised to see no Soapstones in Bloodborne from what I've read. Is there really no way to have fightclubs? This game bumping the mp to 6 players should make them more fun but man i really wish the community picked a better spot than the Iron Keep Bridge; I never want to stare at lava again.

Schryver

I would definitely agree that the first three bosses are annoyingly difficult, but more because of RNG or camera issues than anything else. Other bosses can be stupid too, but you won't actually die to them as much, if at all upon repeated visits.

I agree the first 3 have been the hardest (mostly BSB only because of phase 3) but I beat Father G. first and I still only died twice on him. Going back to Cleric was obviously a joke after that. Disappointing really. I plan to play Demons Souls after BB and then Dark Souls 2 later this year. Hopefully the bosses are harder cause its not really fun to steamroll them

dan2026

I really wish they had ported Dark Souls 1 and not 2.

That was the one with the terrible technical problems that could of sorely used a remaster.

Honestly think they missed a trick releasing this after and so close to Bloodborne. I can't see me going back to my least favourite of the Souls trio any time soon.

I call shenanigans on this. I faces blood starved beast 3 times and was only grabbed once due to my error. I want proof of hitbox issues because so far I've seen none.

Same. I didn't even know BSB had a grab attack. :S

I'm not saying Bloodborne's hit boxes are perfect, but whatever I must be doing must be right!

Sami+

I really wish they had ported Dark Souls 1 and not 2.

That was the one with the terrible technical problems that could of sorely used a remaster.

This. Demon's is still my favorite but Dark is easily the one most in need of one, at least as far as consoles go.

Demon's has the issue of resolution though as well - only way to play that one is 720p/30fps no matter what, unlike the others.

MoxManiac

How about hardest game on Newgame+ and Newgame++?

I have a DS Newgame++ file that is literally stuck at Smough and Ornstein. I can't beat these fuckers on Newgame++. I don't even want to think about Four Kings.

Um no.

I guess I should say more than just that... I haven't run across a single instance in BB, including the BSB, that has wonky hitboxes like DS2 does. I've fought the BSB at least 50 times (I was messing around in co-op a lot around that level range and people kept dying), there is no problem with its hitboxes.

DS2, however, will warp your character into getting a hit when it should have completely missed. I've seen it happen multiple times.

UnrealEck

From what I've seen of BB, it doesn't look like a hard game. I've even seen quite bad players get through it without much trouble.

void666

Banned
I enjoyed DS2, but i was remembering how i cheesed everything with either spells or poison arrows because the challenge is just cheap. Throw multiple enemies at you in tight spaces.

The bosses are forgettable. The only boss i made an effort to learn how to fight was the fume knight (dlc). I summoned or cheesed all the other bosses.

I want to play it again anyway.

Sami+

Ancient dragon is harder than anything in DeS/DS/DS2 (aint played BB), I'm pretty sure I died to it more than all the bosses in those combined.

And by hard I mean cheap as shit.

Yeah I'm really surprised to see people say Dark Souls II is the easiest. There's nothing in the other games that's really as ridiculous as the trolls, Pursuer, Hammer Bros, that fucking invader guy with the stupid broken magic, Shrine of Amana, and Ancient Dragon imo.

Foffy

Banned
From what I've seen of BB, it doesn't look like a hard game. I've even seen quite bad players get through it without much trouble.

The main game is easy. Like Dark Souls II, the challenge is found in all of the optional content.

Try to clear the main Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne and try to call it easy. :p

Top Bottom