• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Yeah I'm really surprised to see people say Dark Souls II is the easiest. There's nothing in the other games that's really as ridiculous as the trolls, Pursuer, Hammer Bros, that fucking invader guy with the stupid broken magic, Shrine of Amana, and Ancient Dragon imo.

I think it's because, in my case atleast, I didn't do Ancient Dragon nor do I remember any Hammer Bros. Shrine of Amana was stupid though (especially pre-patch) but I guess in large part, DS2 just wasn't as memorable of an experience as DS1/DeS.

acsn

Anyone know if you can play with the original enemy/item locations using the DX11 version? I haven't played the game yet, but I'd like to play the way it was originally intended first.

Foffy

Banned
Anyone know if you can play with the original enemy/item locations using the DX11 version? I haven't played the game yet, but I'd like to play the way it was originally intended first.

You're kinda fucked in that sense. You can consider this new version as an "enhanced", "Master Quest", or even "definitive" edition, but if you want to play it as it was intended and originally released, you need to play the release prior to this one.

And yet no game in recent memory has animations that look as bad as Dark Soul's 2's. It doesn't look strange, it looks completely broken.

tumblr_n5ccnzhvTv1ro156wo2_r1_400.gif

Bloodborne has plenty of grab animations, and none of them look like shit. Saying "there's no way to make this not look like shit" is a total cop out and quite frankly, both unacceptable and a completely ridiculous answer.

In the example above, it could be fixed by, i don't know, making the attack miss unless the character is under the mouth when he chomps? Crazy idea, right. Or, it could start to transition the body to the front through a smooth animation at the point the collission is encountered and apply the damage later, instead of at the moment of committing the damage.

Why can't every game as perfect the paragon of animations, physics and hit detection that is Miyazaki-san's masterpiece Bloodborne?

bbpig.gif

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Man I thought DS2 was much tougher than DS2, but I played DS1 a lot more so maybe I was just more comfy with it though.

There were some parts in DS2 that made me want to go crazy (Belfry Sol, the path leading up the Chariot Boss dungeon).

On this DS2 remaster though.... I was thinking of getting on ps4 but how crazy is the durability change. I've seen comments from "totally fine barely noticeable" all the way to "game ruining you have to change weapons multiple times between bond fires or on bosses".

Durability loss run amok really grinds my gears.

Why can't every game as perfect the paragon of animations, physics and hit detection that is Miyazaki-san's masterpiece Bloodborne?

bbpig.gif

That's a bug where certain enemies disappear at distances that I've seen only affect the pigs. That said, the hit-detection was spot on.

Man I thought DS2 was much tougher than DS2, but I played DS1 a lot more so maybe I was just more comfy with it though.

There were some parts in DS2 that made me want to go crazy (Belfry Sol, the path leading up the Chariot Boss dungeon).

On this DS2 remaster though.... I was thinking of getting on ps4 but how crazy is the durability change. I've seen comments from "totally fine barely noticeable" all the way to "game ruining you have to change weapons multiple times between bond fires or on bosses".

Durability is most noticeable when you hit dead bodies. If you don't do that, it'll go down quicker, but it's not so bad that you'll be worrying about it too much outside of weapons like Katanas and stuff.

I'm assuming you played on PC too? My clubs and heavy weapons were constantly breaking after just a few uses and found it incredibly annoying. On the PC, the framerate was tied to durability I believe, so your weapons would break twice as fast as the console equivalents because of 60fps.

Foffy

Banned

bbpig.gif

Dark Souls II has that exact issue, too. The hunters near the Executioners Chariot are invisible if you go to the Covenant there, letting you die by not seeing what's hitting you.

Presumably this happens because you are moving to an area the game is not expecting you to trail the enemies into. The edge Bloodborne has over Dark Souls II is it has less garbage hitboxes. The mimics are some of the worst I've ever seen in a game that tries to create a fair challenge.

If the durability loss is just like it is on PC, having the game run at 30fps removes the problem. You may be limited to PC and capping the framerate at 30 if you really don't want it, like I might.

Sami+

I'm assuming you played on PC too? My clubs and heavy weapons were constantly breaking after just a few uses and found it incredibly annoying. On the PC, the framerate was tied to durability I believe, so your weapons would break twice as fast as the console equivalents because of 60fps.

I was using dual Zweihanders and it didn't bother me too much once I learned not to hit dead bodies.

I had to adapt to kicking treasure chests instead of swinging at them though to save durability.

Really interested in hearing more about the level design changes in the game, it will probably effect how soon I decide to purchase it. I wasn't a fan of the changes they showed so far, but some more interesting ones later in the game might prompt me to pick this up.

Understanding all of the versions of Dark Souls 2: The Real Dark Souls Starts Here.

(Sorry if this joke has been made multiple times already.)

Proc

Finished bloodborne last night and my body is ready to get some souls back on pc. I think in going to start over completely and co op my way through it this time. Looking forward to it!

Teeth

Do we know if the DX11 PC version is going to overtake the original DS2 entry in your library on Steam?

I'd like to know if I'm going to lose access to the old version if I upgrade.

Do we know if the DX11 PC version is going to overtake the original DS2 entry in your library on Steam?

No news at all yet. They refuse to show the PC version.

Steel

Banned
Yeah I'm really surprised to see people say Dark Souls II is the easiest. There's nothing in the other games that's really as ridiculous as the trolls, Pursuer, Hammer Bros, that fucking invader guy with the stupid broken magic, Shrine of Amana, and Ancient Dragon imo.

Dark Souls 2 isn't the easiest, Demon Souls is. Of course that's subjective, but damn I found Demons Souls incredibly easy.

batbeg

I can't wait for this. I'll probably be playing Bloodborne for a while yet which is just as well with my current funds but I can't wait to get this again.

Neoweee

Durability is most noticeable when you hit dead bodies. If you don't do that, it'll go down quicker, but it's not so bad that you'll be worrying about it too much outside of weapons like Katanas and stuff.

Durability change is only different when hitting dead bodies or walls. If you are doing neither, then 60fps is the same as 30fps.

Neoweee

Really? That's so random.

For some reason, they made that type of durability loss tied to physics rather than a set hit per "contact" as regular hits are. Which is really, really, weird.

Anyhow, we're going to get a lot of people in here coming from just BB. So some of the things I think Dark Souls 2 does well relative to Bloodborne:

+ Build Variety
+ Build Balance
+ Music (imo, mileage may vary)
+ Covenants
+ General integration of multiplayer
+ Hub area
+ NPCs
+ Gear/Loot variety
+ Length
+ NG+ mechanics (by a lot)
+ It feels like a continent-spanning adventure, because it is
+ Less-linear (if you count Demon Souls as less-linear, with a bunch of extra paths and zones scattered around

I've been itching to play a Souls game since like December, so I'm considering this. I would play Bloodborne, but I'm waiting for my brother to be ready to play it so we can co-op it. Might get this in the mean time, but not sure.

JerkShep

DS1 ,DS2 and BB are all equally and very hard for different reasons.

But Demon's Souls was the easiest I think.

I still think the progression in the world itself in DeS is one of the hardest. Every archstone has some at least one kind of challenging enemies that coupled with environmental hazards, be it poison, lava, falling to one's death etc makes the progression challenging even for experienced players. And Flamelurker and False King Allant (some would say Maneaters to) are no breeze, even after several playthoughs if played without cheesing. The other bosses are easy all things considered though.

Kazuhira

Kinda strange about the durability thing,i remember having a lightning espada ropera and it almost reached the breaking point after fighting 5-10 enemies,i always had to carry a lot of repair powders because of this.
Same goes for my grand lance.

So this is a total noob question but I have to ask. Dark Souls 2 runs on my PC but not incredibly well (30 with fairly frequent dips, and it gets Blighttown-rough in certain areas (like Tseldora)) - not ideal, but I can live with it. Obviously I don't expect SotFS to run any better, but should I expect the DX11 upgrade to make it run worse?

For some reason, they made that type of durability loss tied to physics rather than a set hit per "contact" as regular hits are. Which is really, really, weird.

Anyhow, we're going to get a lot of people in here coming from just BB. So some of the things I think Dark Souls 2 does well relative to Bloodborne:

+ Build Variety
+ Build Balance
+ Music (imo, mileage may vary)
+ Covenants
+ General integration of multiplayer
+ Hub area
+ NPCs
+ Gear/Loot variety
+ Length
+ NG+ mechanics (by a lot)
+ It feels like a continent-spanning adventure, because it is
+ Less-linear (if you count Demon Souls as less-linear, with a bunch of extra paths and zones scattered around

It should really just be focused on better build variety, balance, gear and so on because some of the things are highly debatable (NPCs, Music for instance) and because other things still have yet to be discovered fully (Covenants, like the Spider-one that people are working on).

With that said, people should play DS2. Just cause opinions on it vary so much.

I still think the progression in the world itself in DeS is one of the hardest. Every archstone has some at least one kind of challenging enemies that coupled with environmental hazards, be it poison, lava, falling to one's death etc makes the progression challenging even for experienced players. And Flamelurker and False King Allant (some would say Maneaters to) are no breeze, even after several playthoughs if played without cheesing. The other bosses are easy all things considered though.

I agree with this quite a bit. I found Demon Souls area progression to be much harder then the other games but the bosses overall, easier aside from a few (especially the ones you mentioned). I also encountered more difficulty with a few Dark Souls 2 areas more so then the bosses (which I found pretty easy). This is the opposite for me in regards to Dark Souls 1 and BB where I find the bosses to be tougher then the areas.

thebloo

With that said, people should play DS2.

This. Just don't go in expecting it to be "the best thing ever". If it's not, you'll just be playing a good game. If it is, you'll be incredibly pleasantly surprised.

I've been saying this before Bloodborne, but I'll say it again. The fact that FROM (B team, A team, whatever, it's FROM) was able to create 4 games in the same vein that feel like the same franchise but at the same time are so different is absolutely incredible. And it's also a testament of their talents.

This. Just don't go in expecting it to be "the best thing ever". If it's not, you'll just be playing a good game. If it is, you'll be incredibly pleasantly surprised.

I've been saying this before Bloodborne, but I'll say it again. The fact that FROM (B team, A team, whatever, it's FROM) was able to create 4 games in the same vein that feel like the same franchise but at the same time are so different is absolutely incredible. And it's also a testament of their talents.

Also, people simply need to understand that if your a fan of the Souls like genre, it's a game you need to play. You simply aren't going to be getting many similar experiences elsewhere. Everyone has their preferences as to what they look for in Souls game (for example, I'm focused heavily on the single-player/lore side of things) so I judge it differently the someone who values PVP (not that I don't). I think DS2 is the weakest out of the 4 Souls titles. That's still an incredibly high bar for me. The game was still almost my GOTY.

So if you are a recent BB fan or someone who hasn't played it before, go play it and have fun.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
What's the cheapest option for getting the DirectX 11 version? I found this website which is supposedly selling Steam keys for $22, but the site looks super ghetto and there's no way to tell whether this is the DX11 or DX9 version.

Teeth

That's true. It's only, like, the third or fourth best thing ever.

I watched an Xbox One stream earlier and they seemed to be around 3 seconds. Nothing to worry about.

In the PS4 stream earlier they went from dead to respawned in about 3 seconds. Same in the Xbox One stream. No idea about PC, but others have said it's always been fast on PC.

I've played through DSII and the DLC on PC already but I kinda want to get this on PS4 for trophies (lol). Sounds like load times are around the same as PC. Thanks for the info!

void666

Banned

Nah. For all purposes it's a new game. Not an upgrade.

It's like the batman games. Standard edition and GOTY edition are separate entries in the library.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
To everyone looking to get into the series thanks to a great time with Bloodborne -

Please please please PLEASE just get Demon's Souls or Dark Souls PC. For your own sake. Breaks my heart just thinking about people that are gonna write off the older games because they don't like DkS2.

Why should they skip the best Souls game?

Top Bottom