• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Yeah, I'm also running a 3770K and an overclocked 7850 and decided to go back to 30fps for now. 60fps is amazing, but I just hate the unavoidable drops. Game is still great at 30 and with better IQ I feel it's a good tradeoff.

Maybe there will be performance improvements for the future? Or is this unlikely?

Erethian

Yeah, I'm also running a 3770K and an overclocked 7850 and decided to go back to 30fps for now. 60fps is amazing, but I just hate the unavoidable drops. Game is still great at 30 and with better IQ I feel it's a good tradeoff.

Maybe there will be performance improvements for the future? Or is this unlikely?

A modder could make minor tweaks here and there, but it'd take an official patch to notably improve performance.

Andrea23

I think that a good (and safe!) spot would be an unlocked 30fps with fixed speed.
That's all i need Q___Q.

Wanny

Okay guys I put SMAA to 3 and it's much better. Even blighttown zone was almost all 60 fps. Looks like it doesn't like SMAA to 4.

Wow being locked to 30 fps feels like shit now. Had to check with Fraps that it's not actually less than that. I'm now positive that I'll never be able to go back to the console versions.

joe2187

Banned
I'm a complete moron when it comes to PC gaming, I got the latest fix and put it in place

How do I toggle on 60 FPS and the other features?

Weird, with latest version I get slowdowns even when capping the FPS to 30 using the .ini, I already tried just putting a comment # in front of the FPS setting and I still get massive slowdowns.

If I go back to 1.5 or 1.6 I get way better FPS, way more stable :(.

Thrakier

Wow being locked to 30 fps feels like shit now. Had to check with Fraps that it's not actually less than that. I'm now positive that I'll never be able to go back to the console versions.

True, first time I had to check if it's not 15. Insane to think that I once thought it is "smooth" at 30FPS. Perception sometimes is such a weird thing.

epmode

I'm not sure I understand, It opens a notepad...I'm lost

Basic INI tutorial:

The thing to understand is that the game pulls its settings from the text in the INI file. Lines with a # in front are only there for the benefit of someone reading the file (the game will skip them).

You have to read the text to find a setting you want to change, alter the line accordingly and then save the file. The next time you launch the game, it will apply the changes you made.

For example, I have the following lines in my INI file:

# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 2560
renderHeight 1600

This works for anyone with a native monitor resolution of 2560x1600. If you have a monitor with a different resolution, say 1920x1080, you would have to first make sure the game is closed, change the lines to the following:

# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1280

save the file and then launch the game.

It may help to open a file like this with Notepad++ since it will automatically color code stuff to make it easier to understand.

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm not sure I understand, It opens a notepad...I'm lost
Oooh boy. We've got a virgin here!
emot-siren.gif

joe2187

Banned
Oooh boy. We've got a virgin here!
emot-siren.gif

yes, I am new to PC gaming, Steam is the only reason I play games on PC more now, the installation process of PC games before steam scared the crap out of me.

I think I understand now, I saw all that text and it's telling me to do something and I couldn't for the life of me come up with a comprehensive enough idea of what to do.

Sentenza

yes, I am new to PC gaming, Steam is the only reason I play games on PC more now, the installation process of PC games before steam scared the crap out of me.
Yeah, it can be overwhelming: "I agree, Forward, Forward, Confirm".
That's some obscure stuff for hardcore neckbeards, right there.

Ledsen

Didn't someone make a GUI for the .ini to make it easier to use? Durante, any plans to talk to that guy and maybe include it in the next release?

Sentenza

no need to be an asshole about it, why not just help instead?
Yeah... No need to cry over a joke, neither.
And what I should help about, exactly? He sidestepped the installation entirely. He didn't ask for help.

Sure if you know what you're looking at it's that simple, but someone who's new to the whole thing, might get confused by choosing the directory alone.
But it's the other way around.
Choosing the directory is for "advanced users" (pffft), while just clicking "forward" and installing in the default one is what everyone can do. It's really *THAT* simple.

dsk1210

When you know how to do it it's simple. My mate comes over and loves the look of some of my pc games, but when I am mucking about in .ini files, i can see he thinks it looks more complicated than it is.

Once you have used .ini files in any game, you just get used to it.

UrbanRats

But it's the other way around.
Choosing the directory is for "advanced users" (pffft), while just clicking "forward" and installing in the default one is what everyone can do. It's really *THAT* simple.

Again, because you know it's not a crucial step.
Some people heard things about PC gaming (or PCs in general) and already start with the wrong foot of "everything you touch can break something" so it's not as obvious for them to just press "forward".
When i had my mother on the her new computer for the first time, she would call me up whenever an Antivira ad would pop up, thinking she had fucked up something, downloaded a virus or something

Cide

I can't seem to play in windowed mode at all with dsfix installed. It signs into GFWL and then the screen freezes as soon as it gets to the 'press start' screen. It is still running in the background as I can still hear the menu sounds. I've tried changing all DSfix.ini settings to defaults and reinstalling both the game and dsfix.

With dsfix removed, windowed mode runs fine.

GFX670 / Win7 64

Any ideas?

Hzoltan69

I can't seem to play in windowed mode at all with dsfix installed. It signs into GFWL and then the screen freezes as soon as it gets to the 'press start' screen. It is still running in the background as I can still hear the menu sounds. I've tried changing all DSfix.ini settings to defaults and reinstalling both the game and dsfix.

With dsfix removed, windowed mode runs fine.

GFX670 / Win7 64

Any ideas?

Any particular reason for windowed mode? I don't think you'll see any advantage compared to fullscreen...

Wanny

I think I would give one of my balls to play Demon's Souls in a similar fashion. 60 fps, SSAO and all that jazz.

Cide

Exactly the answer I was expecting. :)

Solution: Use D3D Overrider. Solves all your vsync problems for all your games.

vsync isn't really the problem, as it can be enabled easily enough. I get a lot of input lag when using vsync in most fullscreen games. The triple buffering in d3doverrider helps out but it's still not as responsive as playing in windowed - borderless.

I find the vsync from Win7 Aero works much better for me than vsync in-game.

TheExodu5

Banned
vsync isn't really the problem, as it can be enabled easily enough. I get a lot of input lag when using vsync in most fullscreen games. The triple buffering in d3doverrider helps out but it's still not as responsive as playing in windowed - borderless.

I find the vsync from Win7 Aero works much better for me than vsync in-game.

I've actually found that as well. Only issue is borderless window also eats up about 20% performance, which can be a problem in some games.

In the case of Dark Souls, playing in Borderless Windowed mode also means you can't use supersampling (unless Durante has fixed this).

datamage

I was hyped after reading this thread so I decided to buy DS from GMG. ($30 with code.) Was looking forward to playing it tonight, but I never received the key from GMG. (It's also not listed under KEYS in my account.) Now I gotta wait till they look into it.. :/

Perhaps I should've purchased it directly off Steam.

I was hyped after reading this thread so I decided to buy DS from GMG. ($30 with code.) Was looking forward to playing it tonight, but I never received the key from GMG. (It's also not listed under KEYS in my account.) Now I gotta wait till they look into it.. :/

Perhaps I should've purchased it directly off Steam.

Same issue for me. Luckily I had picked up War of the Roses too, so I have that to tide me over until I can get my key.

Thrakier

I've actually found that as well. Only issue is borderless window also eats up about 20% performance, which can be a problem in some games.

In the case of Dark Souls, playing in Borderless Windowed mode also means you can't use supersampling (unless Durante has fixed this).

Other issue with BWM is that you loose picture information.

scitek

Am I crazy, or were we not able to take screenshots of this game while forcing SSAO through drivers and it would show up?

I'm trying to take shots of other games with SSAO forced, and it doesn't show up on FRAPS, Afterburner, or even the built-in SMAA function (because it's a post-process effect like FXAA, but I could swear we could see it in Dark Souls shots). The only way I can get it to show up is by taking a shot in windowed mode with Print Screen and pasting that to Paint, but I can't downsample when doing that. Any ideas of something that may work?

Andrea23

Actually i play DS in borderless windowed mode, and:

- as I said days ago, i get better performance compared to fullscreen mode,
- with 1620p,
- d3doverrider fully functional,
- and absolutly no loss in picture information (whatever that means; maybe Thrakier refers to the gamma forced throught the options panel? Well, i haven't noticed any variation on this aspect).

Ps. my gpu is an AMD 5870.

Thrakier

No, I'm talking that picture information is missing, e.g. corners are cut etc. Pay attention where your HUD is placed in the normal game and where it is in WBM.

Andrea23

Ok, thank you Thrakier.
I've done a small test and this is the result:

Fullscreen:

BWM:

Frankly, I don't see any difference (the gamma is different in screenshots, but not in game).

I also did a quick benchmark on the roof of the church of Petite Londo (by making a dozen of laps around its perimeter):

dsbenchf6j3e.png

Emblematic, i think ^^.

I just want to say thank you to the gaffer that did the HD text mod (at least I think it was a gaffer). Bless you, you magnificent creature.

I haven't played the game since version 1.0 of DSfix, so I started it up again today with the latest version, along with some mods from the Nexus. I hope to see some other neat stuff on there in the future for sure. I snapped up the health bar color edits as soon as I saw them... I didn't really like the colors they used after all when I was in-game, though, so I edited them to my liking. Dark pink health bar and bright green endurance bar goooooooo.

Thrakier

Ok, thank you Thrakier.
I've done a small test and this is the result:

Fullscreen:

BWM:

Frankly, I don't see any difference (the gamma is different in screenshots, but not in game).

I also did a quick benchmark on the roof of the church of Petite Londo (by making a dozen of laps around its perimeter):

dsbenchf6j3e.png

Emblematic, i think ^^.

On the first screenshot you have black bars, on the 2nd you don't. Which is which? Are they standing in the exact same position?

No, I'm talking that picture information is missing, e.g. corners are cut etc. Pay attention where your HUD is placed in the normal game and where it is in WBM.

Your monitor probably has some weird scaling settings activated, there is no difference between borderless and real fullscreen for me.

Thrakier

So? I don't get it. But anyway, I only have experience with 16:9 screens and some games (didn't test DS). There was always content cut off compared to fullscreen mode.

Your monitor probably has some weird scaling settings activated, there is no difference between borderless and real fullscreen for me.

Nope, no scaling active. That would be insane.

Andrea23

So? I don't get it. But anyway, I only have experience with 16:9 screens and some games (didn't test DS). There was always content cut off compared to fullscreen mode.

I'm pretty sure that DS doesn't have this problem.
Btw, what do you mean precisely with this assertion, if you don't understand the results of my tests?

"Pay attention where your HUD is placed in the normal game and where it is in WBM."

... because the hud is placed in the same, identical, position, both in fullscreen and BWM : S.

Thrakier

I'm pretty sure that DS doesn't have this problem.
Btw, what do you mean precisely with this assertion, if you don't understand the results of my tests?

"Pay attention where your HUD is placed in the normal game and where it is in WBM."

... because the hud is placed in the same, identical, position, both in fullscreen and BWM : S.

I don't understand why there are black bars on one screenshot and none on the other. The HUD is always in the same position, WBM doesn't magically move it. It just happens when content is cut off that it's closer to the border of the screen, but I can't judge that from a screenshot.

dsk1210

I don't understand why there are black bars on one screenshot and none on the other. The HUD is always in the same position, WBM doesn't magically move it. It just happens when content is cut off that it's closer to the border of the screen, but I can't judge that from a screenshot.

I noticed a very small section was cut off screen when Playing darksiders 2 in WBM. I play dark souls in full screen with triple buffering though as I can not get passed the title screen in WBM, stays on the press start screen.

Top Bottom