• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Thrakier

Alt tabbing.

Wat? I can alt*tab without windowed mode just fine. No the advantage in most cases is that the windowed mode uses a different vsync mechanism that, for some reason, works better what we see in fullscreen mode very often. So games tend to be stutter free.

Durante

I'm assuming this is why Durante's original 60 FPS hack that he never released (the one where everything ran twice as fast, IIRC) was doing this. I don't know what voodoo magic the folks who got the current 60 FPS hack did to get it to work in more or less this fashion, but I'm honestly pretty surprised that the game is holding up very well.
The "voodoo magic" is basically (1) understanding the main loop of the game, (2) rewriting it to remove the built-in waiting period and framerate regulation logic and (3) adjust the time step for physics and animation based on the time of the last frame. And also add a framerate limiter so that it doesn't go above 60, and disable the built-in vsync so that the game can run at framerates that don't align with the refresh rate.

Now, why the jumps and rolls behave slightly differently at 60 FPS is something I do not know. It could just be an integration error with the smaller timesteps (some fraction is lost at every step due to rounding errors).

Anyway, I've played around 10 hours now at 60 FPS, including coop and PVP, and when I toggled on the 30 FPS limit to make the jump at the firelink shrine the game felt horrible. What a huge difference expectations make.

Thrakier

Except depending on the game, alt tabbing can cause it to completely derp out and there's the hassle of that half second for the game reinitialize itself when refocusing it.

Hm, not really. I know these problems back from Windows 98, but at this point it's smooth 99% of the time.

Another example of animation problems at higher framerates is GTA San Andreas PC. When playing that game at high framerates, the swimming won't work properly and cars won't go full speed anymore. Really annoying.

54-46!

I love that modders are starting to improve fonts, textures and such.. this is starting to look like a proper PC game now, heh. I might reconsider buying it.

Now.. how intrusive is GFWL in this game? can you disable its UI? do all the mods work online?

I love that modders are starting to improve fonts, textures and such.. this is starting to look like a proper PC game now, heh. I might reconsider buying it.

Now.. how intrusive is GFWL in this game? can you disable its UI? do all the mods work online?

GFWL is pretty standard. The game logs you into your account at startup and that's the last time you'll see it, if everything works. The UI only shows up when you log-in or when you get an achievement. All the mods work online so far. There was one report of someone getting banned for using the 60FPS fix, but the consensus is that it's bullshit.

And the game is a full PC game by now, with a lot of graphics options and mods. Buy it, it's amazing.

zkylon

zkylewd

It's pretty decent, all things considered. First time's a bitch, like with any GFWL game, but after that logging in is done automatically and only takes a couple seconds, and achievements seem to work alright.

EasyMode

Has anyone encountered a GFWL bug where you tell it to remember email/password & login automatically, but it 'forgets' these settings info 24 hours later?

It's not a big deal, but I wonder if there's a solution.

Wanny

Hey guys I've been out of the loop with the fix for a while but I have a new weird bug.

Motioninjoy and my DS3 controller isn't getting detected anymore by the game. Did I miss a new feature or something?

EasyMode

Hey guys I've been out of the loop with the fix for a while but I have a new weird bug.

Motioninjoy and my DS3 controller isn't getting detected anymore by the game. Did I miss a new feature or something?

Do you have any other controllers connected? I believe the game only detects one.

Wanny

Holy shit 60 fps is mind blowning!! Everything is so much more responsive. Parrying is a LOT easier.

Sullichin is right tho. Jump distance is not the same anymore!

Durante

Has anyone encountered a GFWL bug where you tell it to remember email/password & login automatically, but it 'forgets' these settings info 24 hours later?

It's not a big deal, but I wonder if there's a solution.
Not every 24 hours (that would be supremely annoying!), but it seems to "forget" mine about once every 1 or 2 weeks.

Hzoltan69

I gotta admit, I'm very disappointed with the modding community on nexus so far. It's been going for weeks now and there's only a handful of worthwhile mods, the rest are pointless recolors, bad retextures and nude mods.

The community is really missing quality modders. What this game needs badly is HR textures, not idiotic ucheesegatanas.

Wanny

I gotta admit, I'm very disappointed with the modding community on nexus so far. It's been going for weeks now and there's only a handful of worthwhile mods, the rest are pointless recolors, bad retextures and nude mods.

The community is really missing quality modders. What this game needs badly is HR textures, not idiotic ucheesegatanas.

Meh give it some time. Fallout games weren't exactly that great either at the beginning of Nexus.

You already got Vurt. You need NeilMC now ;)

UrbanRats

Trying the 60fps mod, but with that active the game won't boot.
The process (DATA.exe) disappears before it reaches the top in the task manager.

If i deactivate the unlocked fps, it boots just fine.
DSfix 1.7, btw.

Gvaz

Banned

Well the game doesn't have mod tools.

That being said, welcome to the nexus! Get your masturbation mods here!

Durante

Trying the 60fps mod, but with that active the game won't boot.
The process (DATA.exe) disappears before it reaches the top in the task manager.

If i deactivate the unlocked fps, it boots just fine.
DSfix 1.7, btw.
The 3 common causes for these symptoms are:
1) you are trying to use it on a cracked version of the game
2) you are trying to use it with some cheat program
3) you still have some other 60 fps mod installed in addition to dsfix

Haunted

Has anyone tested the first Seath battle with the 60fps fix on?

Game slows down to a crawl, almost freezes completely when he covers the floor with crystals. Didn't have that issue when I played through it with an older DSFix before 60fps, gave me a scare when it happened. :lol

I don't have any of those and it still happens to me, first time using 1.7, but yea just like he said it only works if I don't use the fps limiter.

Durante

Hmm. How did you buy the game (Steam or retail), where is it installed, and did you try running it using administrative privileges?

I have the same issue. 60 FPS does not work for me. Here's how I tested it.

First off, my hardware/settings:
560Ti 448 Core, i5 2500k
No Nvidia profile for Dark Souls used
Closed MSI Afterburner software (but the card is still under the effect of overclock settings)
Used DEFAULT settings for DSFix ini

In-game settings:
1920x1080, fullscreen, 60Hz
antialiasing OFF
motion blur OFF

Bought digital version of Dark Souls through Green Man Gaming, added key to Steam.

With DSFix 1.5, the game runs with default ini settings and 60 FPS works great.
With DSFix 1.6.1, the game runs with default ini settings, but does not even start with 60 FPS enabled. It is the same case with version 1.7.
edit: Ran Steam as administrator and tried to start the game from Steam with 1.7 60 FPS enabled. Game does not start. Ran the game from the data folder as administrator, same problem.

As always, thanks for all your hard work, Durante.

Taruranto

How do i install dsmfix? :\ I've been following the instruction but it doesn't work, can't move the camera at all.

Bew, i had to reinstall and completely delete my DS folder, but finally the mouse fix seems to work.

I also installed the mod that changes the on-screen buttons from Xbox to PC... and confirmed that you CANNOT see your position in the Book of Guilty on Keyboard. Meh. :(

Can't something be done for it, Durante? It really sucks for Keyboard users to not be able to see our position in the Book.

Ledsen

Wait, your mod doesn't work on a pirated version? That's awesome :O

dopan

Neo Member

Game slows down to a crawl, almost freezes completely when he covers the floor with crystals. Didn't have that issue when I played through it with an older DSFix before 60fps, gave me a scare when it happened. :lol

I had the same problem when I fought the centipede demon. Each time, the intro movie would slow down/lock up up when he landed in the lava. Had to hard-quit the game. When I turned off the 60 FPS mod, it worked just fine.

Pyrrhus

You mean the show battle where you have to lose, about halfway through the Archives? I played that the other day in 60fps. While the crystals made the framerate drop, it was still acceptable on my rig. (Steam, Win7 64-bit Pro, i7 860 @ 2.95Ghz, 8GB 1600 RAM, nVidia GX670 2GB).

Haunted

I had the same problem when I fought the centipede demon. Each time, the intro movie would slow down/lock up up when he landed in the lava. Had to hard-quit the game. When I turned off the 60 FPS mod, it worked just fine.
You mean the show battle where you have to lose, about halfway through the Archives? I played that the other day in 60fps. While the crystals made the framerate drop, it was still acceptable on my rig. (Steam, Win7 64-bit Pro, i7 860 @ 2.95Ghz, 8GB 1600 RAM, nVidia GX670 2GB).
Huh, interesting. Seems erratic.

The 60fps fix does introduce some problems, maybe those extreme particle effects (I assume that's what the lava and crystal effects are) are among them if your system isn't quite up to snuff.

You guys have turned off your power saving options right? Turn off your ocing?
My power management setting is set to high performance in Windows 7 64-bit. I tested again with 1.7 after setting my GPU back to stock settings, and closed MSI Afterburner. No difference, unfortunately. The game still doesn't start with FPS override enabled. Only thing I didn't test was with stock processor speeds, but I don't really want to pick through my bios settings again. I'd be surprised if that was the issue, though, based on the GPU overclock not making a difference, and version 1.5 working fine.

UrbanRats

Hmm. How did you buy the game (Steam or retail), where is it installed, and did you try running it using administrative privileges?

I bought it on GMG an activated it on steam with that code and i'm not using cheat programs.
Later i'll try again to reinstall the DSfix, maybe i missed something.

Sorry for the late reply, I bought it through steam. I tried running it with admin and that didn't work, its really weird, the process just hangs in my task manager, only fix is turning fps limiter off.

Wanny

It's amazing how much 60 fps makes the game easier.

Anyway I struggle to get a constant 60 fps everywhere. Any performance tips?

I'm running i7 3770k and GTX670.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It's amazing how much 60 fps makes the game easier.

Anyway I struggle to get a constant 60 fps everywhere. Any performance tips?

I'm running i7 3770k and GTX670.

Only tip I could recommend is to lower your rendering resolution. A lot of people hop in with 60fps enabled and the resolution set to "16000 x 9000" and are surprised when the game runs terribly.

Wanny

Alright well I'm already at native resolution but it's fine. It was in blighttown/Ceaseless discharge area anyway when it started to drop in fps and it doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to performance. It's always around 45 fps when it drops. Nothing biggie.

vermadas

Don't have the game yet (though I played through the console version previously), but I've been following the progress on this mod with growing interest. Especially reading the 60 FPS impressions. My system:

C2D E8400 3.0 GHz
460 GTX 1 GB

Obviously my CPU is showing its age. If I ran the game at 1080p with none of the bells and whistles turned on, do you guys think I could maintain 60 FPS in most areas of the game?

Eyothrie

Alright well I'm already at native resolution but it's fine. It was in blighttown/Ceaseless discharge area anyway when it started to drop in fps and it doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to performance. It's always around 45 fps when it drops. Nothing biggie.

Same here. I really don't think there is anything we can do about it. Mine dropped to around 45 fps too in Blighttown depending on the direction I faced. I'd get 45 fps then turn around and get 60.. All other locations run at or around 60fps, so I blame the game.

Durante

Don't have the game yet (though I played through the console version previously), but I've been following the progress on this mod with growing interest. Especially reading the 60 FPS impressions. My system:

C2D E8400 3.0 GHz
460 GTX 1 GB

Obviously my CPU is showing its age. If I ran the game at 1080p with none of the bells and whistles turned on, do you guys think I could maintain 60 FPS in most areas of the game?
I don't think so. When you're not using insane internal resolutions the game is mostly CPU limited, so in the areas where that is the case I don't think you'd be able to maintain 60 FPS. However, with that system, you could unlock the FPS, keep the limiter at 30 and play through it with no framedrops at very nice graphical settings.

C2D E8400 3.0 GHz
460 GTX 1 GB

My system: C2D E7200 3.8ghz
560 GTX 1gb

In order to even semi-reliably hit 60fps I have to run 1280x1080 rendering resolution with no SMAA, SSAO or DOF blur, and with DOF set at 540; it's still hit and miss and I found the constant framerate jumps jarring. I settled for playing at 30fps with all the trimmings at 1080p (810 DOF), which is wonderful: it still feels more responsive than the PS3 version did, and it looks fantastic. However, make sure you enable the key bindings to turn said trimmings on and off, as I found that I had to lose some stuff to make it through the forest, Blight Town, the (really really good) DLC areas, and a few other places, at 30fps.

Heading into NG+ now :)

vermadas

I don't think so. When you're not using insane internal resolutions the game is mostly CPU limited, so in the areas where that is the case I don't think you'd be able to maintain 60 FPS. However, with that system, you could unlock the FPS, keep the limiter at 30 and play through it with no framedrops at very nice graphical settings.

My system: C2D E7200 3.8ghz
560 GTX 1gb

In order to even semi-reliably hit 60fps I have to run 1280x1080 rendering resolution with no SMAA, SSAO or DOF blur, and with DOF set at 540; it's still hit and miss and I found the constant framerate jumps jarring. I settled for playing at 30fps with all the trimmings at 1080p (810 DOF), which is wonderful: it still feels more responsive than the PS3 version did, and it looks fantastic. However, make sure you enable the key bindings to turn said trimmings on and off, as I found that I had to lose some stuff to make it through the forest, Blight Town, the (really really good) DLC areas, and a few other places, at 30fps.

Heading into NG+ now :)

Ah, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the replies guys. It will probably be another year at least before I can swing another round of upgrades for my PC, but I don't think I can wait until then to play through this game again and experience the new content. I'll just have to "settle" for 30 FPS (though with much better graphic fidelity than what I got on the 360 anyway!)

Pyrrhus

So then is the game behavior at unlocked 30fps more or less identical to the stock version of the game? No worrying about falling through the world if you slide down a ladder, original animation speeds, etc.?

I've played a bit with this setting (DSfix 1.7) and I've noticed that when the framerate drops below 30, the animations slow down, as well the sound that is also slowed : (.

I guess this means no?

Top Bottom