• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Forkball

Ok so I kinda quit DS for a while but want to get back into it. I used version .2 and now 1.7. However, the files are different. The earlier ones were d3d9.dll while the 1.7 file is DINPUT8.dll. Do I need to delete the d3d9.dll file?

Ok so I kinda quit DS for a while but want to get back into it. I used version .2 and now 1.7. However, the files are different. The earlier ones were d3d9.dll while the 1.7 file is DINPUT8.dll. Do I need to delete the d3d9.dll file?

Delete every file that is in the fix you still have. A lot has changed since then.

UrbanRats

Delete every file that is in the fix you still have. A lot has changed since then.

How do i know what files may be from previous versions and which are from the game? Care to list what should be in DATA in the vanilla game? Cause i think i may have some junk from previous DSfixes that i missed when updating, but i'm not sure now.

UrbanRats

I see.
Well i hoped this could've been the reason (the extra junk) why the 60fps fix wouldn't work for me, but it still won't go.
Next thing will be a clean install of the game it think, but i don't really feel like re-downloading the game again, for now.
So i'll keep playing at 30-15 fps for the moment.

TheExodu5

Banned
Actually i play DS in borderless windowed mode, and:

- as I said days ago, i get better performance compared to fullscreen mode,
- with 1620p,
- d3doverrider fully functional,
- and absolutly no loss in picture information (whatever that means; maybe Thrakier refers to the gamma forced throught the options panel? Well, i haven't noticed any variation on this aspect).

Ps. my gpu is an AMD 5870.

My guess is you're getting better performance because the game does not supersample in borderless windowed mode, so you're only actually rendering at your desktop resolution.

edit: I see you're using a 3rd party tool to help out with borderless windowed...that may influence things.

NBtoaster

My guess is you're getting better performance because the game does not supersample in borderless windowed mode, so you're only actually rendering at your desktop resolution.

edit: I see you're using a 3rd party tool to help out with borderless windowed...that may influence things.

That's not true, with DSfix you can supersample while windowed. And DSfix handles borderless windowed mode by itself.

Daante

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to Durante for making this fix!.

I fired up the PS3 version yesterday to compare with the PC version and this fix.
The difference is HUGE, and im not even running the PC version maxed out in any way.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I noticed that there now is a glitch with reflectionss not displaying properly in relation to your poison, that and asee through wall near the hungry hungry hippo.

Also I noticed my game looked horrible ever since I got a new 1080p monitor, turns out you select 16bit resolutions when going to the right. So I properly set it at 32 bit and the game never looked better :) besides the aforementioned glitches)

Andrea23

Have you seen my screenshots, that i've posted yesterday? : )
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42974882&postcount=5704

I've used a tool to create a new screen resolution (1680*945) to avoid the stretching of the image, nothing else ^^. On a 16:9 monitor this procedure is unnecessary.

So... that said, i recommend the BMW without reservation, period.

Forkball

Ok, so my Steam copy of the game won't launch now after I put in the 1.7 files. The Darksouls.exe is running in my processes, but nothing is coming up. I verified the integrity of the game cache and it's still not doing anything.

Edit: Nevermind, it now works somehow. Maybe the Windows update fixed it.

I am a bit confused by this:

############# Depth of field

# Depth of Field resolution override, possible values:
# 0 = no change from default (DoF pyramid starts at 512x360)
# 540 = DoF pyramid starts at 960x540
# 810 = DoF pyramid starts at 1440x810
# 1080 = DoF pyramid starts at 1920x1080
# 2160 = DoF pyramid starts at 3840x2160
# higher values will decrease performance
# do NOT set this to the same value as your vertical rendering resolution!
dofOverrideResolution 0

My current vertical render solution is 1080 (playing in 1920*1080) - so I should fefrain from choosing 1080 as the "dofOverrideResolution"? Can I choose something above?

Grief.exe

Thank you. I'm pondering whether to increase the internal resolution to 2880*1620. Should I stick with 540 in that case?

You can really increase it to any theoretical resolution you want as long as you stick to 16:9.

In order to do this, divide the horizontal pixels by 1.777778 to get the vertical. Round up.

So, 1920/1.7777778 = 1079.99999865

Sullichin

Thank you. I'm pondering whether to increase the internal resolution to 2880*1620. Should I stick with 540 in that case?
Definitely try increasing the internal res. I get the same performance at that resolution and 1080. If you up your res, try 810 or 1080 for the DOF setting.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys, how far can I take a HD5870, it has like 1gB of vram. I feel like I might be able to crank more than my native res (1080)?

Tess3ract

Banned
I don't like DoF at all, so I pretty much put it on the lowest. I don't like the decrease in clarity gained from an increase in dof.

Has any progress been made fixing all the problems 60fps introduces (falling through world geometry, animations potentially running at incorrect speed causing shorter jump/roll distances)?

LegatoB

Has any progress been made fixing all the problems 60fps introduces (falling through world geometry, animations potentially running at incorrect speed causing shorter jump/roll distances)?
Yet to see any evidence that jump/roll distance is actually effected, so I wouldn't worry.

Ciastek3214

Yet to see any evidence that jump/roll distance is actually effected, so I wouldn't worry.

I'm 100% sure it screws up movement on light loads a little. I always made that jump to Laito in Blighttown, 60 FPS, 4 tries, no good, switched back to 30 FPS, made it on first try.

Sentenza

I'm 100% sure it screws up movement on light loads a little. I always made that jump to Laito in Blighttown, 60 FPS, 4 tries, no good, switched back to 30 FPS, made it on first try.
I actually took it just a couple of days ago during my NG+ run and I didn't have any problem with it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The roll distance is shortened. Also, you will get stuck at bonfires occasionally. Only way I know how to get out of that is to get backstabbed by an invader or alt f4.

You can just log out of GfWL as well. It sends you back to the main menu, then you just log back in and start up where you left off.

Veal

So it looks like the bannings may happening for using the 60fps mode. Before I started playing, I had to accept the new terms and conditions. "No big deal" I thought, accepted and continued on my way. As I played, anytime I was in human form, I would keep getting a "Session Failed" message. Didn't think too much of that, as I thought it was just a routine failed invasion. When I finished playing, GFWL tried to log back in like it normally does, except this time I got a nice "Your multiplayer privileges have been blocked. Starting in offline mode." I'm not a cheater, nor am I playing on a pirated copy. The only thing I can think of is an update went out and they're finally cracking down. This really sucks :(

epmode

I was also forced to accept the new terms but I wasn't locked out of multiplayer once I restarted the game.

Of course, I still haven't tried the 60 FPS mod. Even though I REALLY WANT TO.

Pyrrhus

So it looks like the bannings may happening for using the 60fps mode. Before I started playing, I had to accept the new terms and conditions. "No big deal" I thought, accepted and continued on my way. As I played, anytime I was in human form, I would keep getting a "Session Failed" message. Didn't think too much of that, as I thought it was just a routine failed invasion. When I finished playing, GFWL tried to log back in like it normally does, except this time I got a nice "Your multiplayer privileges have been blocked. Starting in offline mode." I'm not a cheater, nor am I playing on a pirated copy. The only thing I can think of is an update went out and they're finally cracking down. This really sucks :(

This seems more than a little ungrateful of From.

Tess3ract

Banned
... wow.

wow for two reasons:

1. they're actually doing something on gfwl, which is what the fuck.
2. they're not actually looking into why or what people are doing.
2a. if they actually are banning for using the 60fps mod, they're awful shitheads who don't understand anything.

epmode

If this is true, it has to be an automated ban. Durante has mentioned that the 60 FPS portion of the mod specifically disables part of GFWL's anticheat functionality.

Just restart the game. I got the same message on consoles too about once or twice. On PC also once without the 60 fps fix. I think it's some broken Gold/Silver membership check.

Eusis

Guess I should've looked in here first before posting this in the main thread:
Tried the FPS unlock and I think I actually prefer it locked at 30 FPS. Has that weird soap opera look to it, like the 120hz TVs have as an option, and combined with various issues (I need my ladder sliding!) I disabled it. I'd attribute it to being too used to how Dark Souls normally is, but I just got off of Dishonored so I don't think it's just that. However if the kinks get ironed out and the reports of bans turn out to be BS (anyone here use it and get banned?) I may enable it just to lock at 30 FPS and kill those stupidly huge dips.
So, yeah, if others claiming to be banned got the same message (and I got it once I logged in post-Gold lapsing before the FPS fix) then I probably don't need to worry and will just keep waiting for updates to the FPS unlock to work out any issues. Though I also burnt myself out on Dark Souls so that'll be awhile.

E7jFE.jpg

I just reinstalled Dark Souls today and started having issues with grass, pillar, and other objects stretching until they reach the background no matter which patch I use despite never having issues in the past. I did update my video card drivers recently so that may be the issue, but I just wanted to find out if anyone has had the same problems that I'm currently having.

Your card is overheating bro. Clean your case or prepare to get a new gfx card.

It might be a common issue. I have the same happening with kingseeker frampt from time to time (only saw this twice I think) and saw some other guy post the exact same screenshot a few weeks ago. My GPU is definitely not overheating.

Lyriell

It might be a common issue. I have the same happening with kingseeker frampt from time to time (only saw this twice I think) and saw some other guy post the exact same screenshot a few weeks ago. My GPU is definitely not overheating.

I've had it appear once and only once, with Kingseeker Frampt as well.

I can assure you my card wasn't overheating... so it's got to be something else.

Top Bottom