• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

EasyMode

So I'm trying to platinum this game. Say I find all of the unique weapons I need for the trophy on character #1. If I create a second character and find the weapon I need in that game will it give me the trophy or do you need to find all the stuff with the same character?

There are some covenant ranks that I just won't be able to achieve using my character. He's faith based and not pvp oriented. I haven't found any good attack miracles. I might have to create a sorcerer.

The weapons trophy needs to be done with 1 character. You don't need to do any pvp to rank up the covenants. All of the items needed to rank up can be farmed or found in the game.

Just invaded someone's world via summon sign.

I'm confused.

This has happened to me a couple times. As a Darkmoon, I've put down my white soapstone and nearly instantly, my game invaded someone elses world as a RED phantom!

bill-oreilly-tide-goes-in-tide-goes-out-never-a-miscommunication-cant-explain-that.jpeg

Booshka

The weapons trophy needs to be done with 1 character. You don't need to do any pvp to rank up the covenants. All of the items needed to rank up can be farmed or found in the game.

Sunbro Covenant would be a problem without playing online and doing summons though, if you have very low faith and can't help people online, you are kinda screwed. You can farm Sunlight medals from the
Sunlight Maggots at the Lost Izalith/Demon Ruins shortcut
But, to even get access to join the covenant you need to have a certain Faith stat, or decrease the requirement with successful summons where you help a host beat the boss.

Wool

tumblr_lq85kaBh1h1qgk47do1_1280.jpg

Edit:
Well there is that chest in Anor Londo with 3 medals in it, and you'll need to visit the area on 3 separate playthroughs for the weapons trophy. So there's 9. Plus Solaire gives you one every time he survives a boss fight.

You also get one as a gift from Lautrec for rescuing him every playthrough. Get Solaire for the Gargoyles on the first two playthroughs and there you go.

EasyMode

Sunbro Covenant would be a problem without playing online and doing summons though, if you have very low faith and can't help people online, you are kinda screwed. You can farm Sunlight medals from the
But, to even get access to join the covenant you need to have a certain Faith stat, or decrease the requirement with successful summons where you help a host beat the boss.

Well there is that chest in Anor Londo with 3 medals in it, and you'll need to visit the area on 3 separate playthroughs for the weapons trophy. So there's 9. Plus Solaire gives you one every time he survives a boss fight.

Edit: ^ forgot about Lautrec. Good catch.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Equipping the poison bite ring actually poisons you 40% of the poison bar, lol (which then drops slowly afterwards). So that's where the 'bite' comes from?

The crazy thing about the way equipment that increases resistances does that is that it might be possible to kill yourself with it. Equip the Bloodshield, which increases resistance to Curse, Poison, Toxin, and Bleed all at once. With it still equipped, upgrade it. With every upgrade level the resistances increase and the current level of your Curse, Bleed, Poison, and Toxin gauges increase. When I finished upgrading it my Curse level was about 95% full. One of these days I'm actually going to try and kill myself with it.

There's also one more freebie for rescuing Lautrec. 4 per playthrough with more available depending on how many boss fights you can get Solaire to survive.

Booshka

Getting the medals isn't the problem, being able to join the covenant is, without enough faith or successful summons, when you approach the Altar, the option to join won't even show up. Not sure how you could get that done if you have very low faith and aren't playing online. From decreased the requirement with the patch, but you still need to do a few summons to get in.

Deadstar

Well actually I'm doing that now and it's not too much of a problem. Right now I've killed all bosses but the last one. I'm helping people kill it. I've got 6 medals so far, 4 to go so I can rank up and get the miracles.

I'm trying to get all the miracles. I need the darkmoon blade which you get through ranking up the
darkmoon covenant
which requires pvp.

I never bought the miracles from Rhea and now she
is dead

I have a list of the weapons and it seems like I won't need to do any covenant work to find those. Actually it doesn't seem that bad. Killing others for the
darkmoon covenant
seems like it would be the hardest thing to do. Anyone have tips on Rhea? I met her but did not buy all her miracles when I had the chance.

Booshka

Well actually I'm doing that now and it's not too much of a problem. Right now I've killed all bosses but the last one. I'm helping people kill it. I've got 6 medals so far, 4 to go so I can rank up and get the miracles.

I'm trying to get all the miracles. I need the darkmoon blade which you get through ranking up the
darkmoon covenant
which requires pvp.

I never bought the miracles from Rhea and now she
is dead

I have a list of the weapons and it seems like I won't need to do any covenant work to find those. Actually it doesn't seem that bad. Killing others for the
darkmoon covenant
seems like it would be the hardest thing to do. Anyone have tips on Rhea? I met her but did not buy all her miracles when I had the chance.

You can farm for the
Souvenir of Reprisal Darkmoon covenant item in the Painted World off the Harpies (Crow Bitches)

You're gonna have to NG+ for Rhea.

sixghost

I'm really getting frustrated with being summoned into other people's worlds. I've been putting my summon sign down almost every time I enter a dungeon or spawn at a bonfire, but I haven't been summoned once. It seems like there's a huge disparity in the number of people trying to summon others and those trying to be summoned.

In places like the Anor Londo bonfire, I'll place my summon sign, then wait about 10 minutes and get nothing, but them I'll reverse hollow and see like 6 summon signs all waiting there. I'm starting to think they made a huge mistake making humanity so rare, or being required at all to summon people.

This makes it almost impossible to join the sunlight cov on this character because my Faith is never going to be higher than 25.

Also, here is a list of Sunlight Medals possible in 1 playthrough:
Gargoyle fight 1
Reward from Lautrec 1
Gaping Dragon 1
Anor Londo Chest 3
O&S 1
Centipede Demon 1
Gwyn 1

I think those are all Solaire summons, I've never done half of those myself. I imagine getting Solaire to live through S&O would be a nightmare.

Booshka

I'm really getting frustrated with being summoned into other people's worlds. I've been putting my summon sign down almost every time I enter a dungeon or spawn at a bonfire, but I haven't been summoned once. It seems like there's a huge disparity in the number of people trying to summon others and those trying to be summoned.

In places like the Anor Londo bonfire, I'll place my summon sign, then wait about 10 minutes and get nothing, but them I'll reverse hollow and see like 6 summon signs all waiting there. I'm starting to think they made a huge mistake making humanity so rare, or being required at all to summon people.

This makes it almost impossible to join the sunlight cov on this character because my Faith is never going to be higher than 25.

Gargoyle fight 1
Reward from Lautrec 1
Gaping Dragon 1
Anor Londo Chest 3
O&S 1
Centipede Demon 1
Gwyn 1

I think those are all Solaire summons, I've never done half of those myself. I imagine getting Solaire to live through S&O would be a nightmare.
Try refreshing your summon sign every 30 seconds or so, try high traffic areas, and try low traffic areas (put your sign in an out of the way spot so less people are trying to connect to you)

When my friend and I played through most of the game summoning each other for most areas and bosses, we found it easier to summon each other if we hid our signs in a place we agreed on it was easier for us to connect to each other. If you put it in a high traffic area, more people will be trying to connect to you and it may fail more as a result, so if it is somewhere where less people will see it, you may ironically get summoned quicker. Good luck, it's very hit and miss.

EasyMode

PS3 or 360? You might have a NAT issue with your network setup.

Solaire vs Gaping Dragon is hilarious, and he never survives the second phase of S&O for me, but I have had him survive centipede and Gwyn.

Ill Saint

Gargoyle fight 1
Reward from Lautrec 1
Gaping Dragon 1
Anor Londo Chest 3
O&S 1
Centipede Demon 1
Gwyn 1

Try leaving your sign after the first Anor Londo bonfire, just below the steps after the spiral elevator. You will get summoned though it could take some waiting. I also put mine down around the steps before O&S. Those spots rarely fail me.

This is a seriousy crappy OT headline by the way, whoever came up with it.

Deadstar

Gargoyle fight 1
Reward from Lautrec 1
Gaping Dragon 1
Anor Londo Chest 3
O&S 1
Centipede Demon 1
Gwyn 1

I agree. They should have kept it so that you lose half your health in "soul" form. I was in soul form for most of my game because there was no benefit to being human. You can summon helpers and fight some npc's that only show up but you can also get invaded. There's more risk than reward as far as I'm concerned. I think making humanity less rare would have helped.

shiroryu

The crazy thing about the way equipment that increases resistances does that is that it might be possible to kill yourself with it. Equip the Bloodshield, which increases resistance to Curse, Poison, Toxin, and Bleed all at once. With it still equipped, upgrade it. With every upgrade level the resistances increase and the current level of your Curse, Bleed, Poison, and Toxin gauges increase. When I finished upgrading it my Curse level was about 95% full. One of these days I'm actually going to try and kill myself with it.

Yeah, I imagine if you managed to put these items on within seconds of each other you could curse or poison yourself. I thought it was intentional, but now I'm having second thoughts.

roxya

I don't think that's how it's working? I was under the impression that it slows the bar build-up by making the bar larger. So even though it looks like it's 95% full, the empty 5% represents what you already had as a full empty bar. Could be wrong though.

Booshka

I don't think that's how it's working? I was under the impression that it slows the bar build-up by making the bar larger. So even though it looks like it's 95% full, the empty 5% represents what you already had as a full empty bar. Could be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly how it works, I don't see how you could kill yourself by equipping resist gear when you will always have your base resistances on top of it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well shit, had I known
Quellag (the spider bitch)
was the second bell I would have killed it sooner.

Oh, and fuck mildred for just standing around doing jack shit.

What does the
spider
soul make btw?

sixghost

Well shit, had I known
Quellag (the spider bitch)
was the second bell I would have killed it sooner.

Oh, and fuck mildred for just standing around doing jack shit.

What does the
spider
soul make btw?

Two Katanas, one that does fire damage, one that drains your health as it attacks. You won't be able to make them for a while though.

ixix

I was actually wearing the Embraced Armor of Favor at the time, so there's no way that the Blood Shield increased my Curse resist by such a degree that my former resist was a vanishingly small sliver of the new bar. I'm not entirely certain that it's actually possible to kill yourself this way, though. When I grab the shield on my current character I might give it a shot.

ashk

Wait...is this amazing cosplay or a figure model? I remember the art of these things in the art book.

Oh shit just noticed the dudes shoe at the bottom. Amazing!....damn nice body babe.

There's footage of this model on the bonus DVD, I think it was from Gamescom.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Two Katanas, one that does fire damage, one that drains your health as it attacks. You won't be able to make them for a while though.

On that note, where the hell do you get large tritonite shards? I only need 3 to get the +5 raw spear, but I haven't come across any in a LONG time.

Tomodachi

Platinum trophy get. Man, was it worth it.
Best game of this gen (along with Demon's, I tend to consider them as a single experience).

On that note, where the hell do you get large tritonite shards? I only need 3 to get the +5 raw spear, but I haven't come across any in a LONG time.
You can get them from a smith (later in the game) or they drop from slimes in depths (not a very high drop rate though). EDIT: also leeches in blighttown.

Farm leeches in blightown. Or just buy them from the giant blacksmith or the dude on top of sen's. Probably easier if you only need 3.

Deadstar

Can anyone give me character advice? Right now I'm heavily faith based. I use a halberd, shield and pyromancy when I need range. I don't seem to do that much damage with my divine halberd that scales with faith. I'm wondering if I should use spells instead of pyromancy when I go to NG+. The trade off will be that I won't be putting stats into faith, upping my attack power if I'm putting points into intelligence to get stronger magic.

elty

I don't think that works. Higher resistance = longer of the "curse bar". Say you begin at 100 "curse point" of the bar, you have no curse so you have 100 "free" curse point. You equip an item that makes the bar 200. Then the total length of the bar goes to 200, with still 100 "free" curse point. So at this point the bar look half full.

Changing your equipment will not gives you more "free" curse point. If it doesn't work this way, then you can reduce curse build up by simply swapping a weapon.

ixix

I don't think that works. Higher resistance = longer of the "curse bar". Say you begin at 100 "curse point" of the bar, you have no curse so you have 100 "free" curse point. You equip an item that makes the bar 200. Then the total length of the bar goes to 200, with still 100 "free" curse point. So at this point the bar look half full.

Changing your equipment will not gives you more "free" curse point. If it doesn't work this way, then you can reduce curse build up by simply swapping a weapon.

Equipping status ailment-resistant equipment gives you points in the ailments it defends against. It's actually pretty trivial to test: you need the Bloodshield and any other shield. Equip the Bloodshield, switch to the other shield, then back to the Bloodshield repeatedly. You won't kill yourself (disappointingly, I might add) but your Curse, Bleed, Toxin, and Poison gauges will max out, stopping just short of full. If you were merely oscillating between different maximums that would be impossible.

You can even take the test one step further to demonstrate that the status build-up is real and not just an artifact of how the game displays the gauges: stick a Dung Pie in a quick item slot and throw it, taking note of the amount of Toxic status you receive. Then do the shield switch until the Toxic gauge is nearly maxed out and throw another one. You'll receive the Toxic status.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Grats on |OT4| guys.

Being the gentlemen I am, I answered truthfully to Patche's question ("are you a cleric?").
Killed him in self-defense, and thought my chances of the getting the Mask of the Father were gone until NG+
. But the pinwheel enemies outside of Nito dropped the whole mask set for me in one run. Nice.

Also whats with the massive King's Field cameo in Dark Souls (Seath + Moonlight Sword).

Septimius

Being the gentlemen I am, I answered truthfully to Patche's question ("are you a cleric?").
Killed him in self-defense, and thought my chances of the getting the Mask of the Father were gone until NG+
. But the pinwheel enemies outside of Nito dropped the whole mask set for me in one run. Nice.

Also whats with the massive King's Field cameo in Dark Souls (Seath + Moonlight Sword).

Isn't Moonlight Sword a name that appears in every FROM game?

Wool

I haven't played King's Field, but apparently there are a lot of references to things outside the Souls series. I wish I could find a link, but there are a bunch of things from some anime called "Berserk" as well.

I haven't played King's Field, but apparently there are a lot of references to things outside the Souls series. I wish I could find a link, but there are a bunch of things from some anime called "Berserk" as well.

Speaking of Seath, what does he look like in King's Field? Google isn't giving me anything. Does he look like he does in Dark Souls, or does he just share a name?

EDIT: General question, not to you specifically.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I don't know, the poison swamp could be dangerous. With a fire weapon it's easy to kill slimes in Depths even though I think the drop rate is lower, unfortunately.

The leech drop rate is very much worth the "risk" of poison. If you have a reasonable amount of HP, you should be able to just let the poison burn itself out while you chug a few estus potions. If you're just farming titanite, it doesn't matter if you die anyway, so there's no reason whatsoever to avoid the swamp or be afraid of poison.

What does the
spider
soul make btw?

The Furysword (fire weapon) is a curved sword, not a katana. It's also one of the more popular (read: actually useful) boss weapons as far as I can tell.

Haven't been to the top of sens yet. Should I do anor londo first?

I'm back at the asylum right now messing about.

You have to do Sen's before Anor Londo. You can find the guy who sells large shards by jumping the gap in a narrow bridge outside/on top of the fortress. There are a few enemies in the area who drop large shards too. Leeches are still the fastest way to get them, I think.

I dislike anime but Berserk was legendary, and yes both this game and the one before it reeks of Berserk inspirations/almost direct references.

It's like saying Starcraft "borrowed" a thing or two off Alines.

I've been high level invading (130+) Darkwraith. Some great builds out in the wild, overall pretty good sporting behavior. Estus use gets answered with WoG, however. I am running with over a million souls.. When the host kills me I hope they're hitting payday.

Any invasions where the host has a phantom or more is hilarious.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Question about making weapons.

If I make the moonlight butterfly spear does it matter what spear I use?

Will the lightning from the lightning spear carry over or does it become a new weapon.

Basically I want to know if I should stop upgrading the spear I got in the grave yard and start upgrading the lightning spear.

ixix

I've been high level invading (130+) Darkwraith. Some great builds out in the wild, overall pretty good sporting behavior. Estus use gets answered with WoG, however. I am running with over a million souls.. When the host kills me I hope they're hitting payday.

Any invasions where the host has a phantom or more is hilarious.

What's wrong with using Estus? I understand the proscription against it in duels, but objecting to it during invasions is quite unreasonable.

Question about making weapons.

If I make the moonlight butterfly spear does it matter what spear I use?

Will the lightning from the lightning spear carry over or does it become a new weapon.

Basically I want to know if I should stop upgrading the spear I got in the grave yard and start upgrading the lightning spear.

Weapons made with boss souls don't inherit any stats from the weapon they're made from. A Moonlight Butterfly Horn will always be the same whether you use a Spear, a Winged Spear, a Pike, or whatever as the base weapon.

MMaRsu

Banned
Damn I still need to defeat 4k to get the red invasion stone or is there no downside to using the blue one?

zsswimmer

Just had an awesome invasion experience. I'm a Darkmoon but couldn't find any sinners so I used my cracked eye orb. Got paired up with a Darkmoon guy and we started fighting until I stopped and 'pointed up' so we could double team the host.

We ended up back stabbing him at the same time and did around 1300 damage, killing him instantly : D

sixghost

Can anyone give me character advice? Right now I'm heavily faith based. I use a halberd, shield and pyromancy when I need range. I don't seem to do that much damage with my divine halberd that scales with faith. I'm wondering if I should use spells instead of pyromancy when I go to NG+. The trade off will be that I won't be putting stats into faith, upping my attack power if I'm putting points into intelligence to get stronger magic.

Hopefully this isn't what you didn't want to hear, but Faith characters aren't about damage at all. My advice is to just pump your END/VIT and get your FAITH up when you can. Faith is amazing in PvE because of how durable it makes you. My SL 120 character has like 1900 hp, and can still heal himself fully with 1 casting of great heal, this makes him the tank of all tanks when you are in a situation that allows enough time to cast(ie not PvP, but in between battle in PvE).

I've never really used divine or occult weapons much, since they cap out at B or C scaling, unlike the A of enchanted. Unless you have the STR to wield the Grant(34 two handed or 50 one handed), there aren't really and faith scaling weapons worth using. I just use a fire or lightning weapon, and rely on having more HP, then dealing tons of damage. You make an incredible co-op partnet because of this.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Thagomizer said:
That's Havel the Rock. He was one of Gwyn's Bishops and one of the only humans in Gwyn's inner circle. He also hated Seath the Scaleless. Turns out he was a good judge of character. He gained the Darksign curse at some point in the past and was locked in that tower by a friend so he wouldn't hurt any one once he went Hollow.
Had to dig this out of OT3. Such a sad story; I wonder who his friend was. Some of the lore in this game is so 'empty' that it's really quite endearing.
I want to see an O+S buddy comedy.
This would be hilarious, like the original odd couple. They'd have to have an inappropriately chirpy intro theme, and as the intro ends, they're back-to-back - Smough is shrugging in a "daww well!" gesture, while Ornstein has his arms folded, rolling his eyes.

Smough's always getting in trouble, Ornstein's always cleaning up after him and scheming stuff. It would write itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom