• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I've hit a wall after anor londo. Every new place I go to is such bullshit. I tried duke's archives, demon ruins, new londo, and just now the great hollow (bloody frogs cursed and then instantly killed me as soon as I reached the bottom). I don't even want to try tomb of the giants, that place just sounds like gigantic pain in the ass.

People weren't kidding around when they said the game design takes a dive towards the end.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Had to dig this out of OT3. Such a sad story; I wonder who his friend was. Some of the lore in this game is so 'empty' that it's really quite endearing.

Well he was friends with
Gwyn
, but the timeline doesn't really work for him to have been the one to imprison him.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Fuck, the game just froze on me while I was in Anor londo fighting a gargoyle. I hope it's not corrupted.

Another question. Is there a safe way back to firelink from here? I'd rather not travel up and down sen's again, lol.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ok, I'm at a point where I'm not sure to go. I know I still have ash lake, demon (whatever) new londo and anor londo.

Should I be doing New londo now?

Derrick01

Banned
I should probably jump back into this game tomorrow before I forget everything. It's been like 3 days already, but Resistance 3 has me hooked and I just got 3d dot game heroes for around $3 today. Old school zelda gameplay sounds good right now.

ixix

Ok, I'm at a point where I'm not sure to go. I know I still have ash lake, demon (whatever) new londo and anor londo.

Should I be doing New londo now?

If you haven't finished Anor Londo that should be your top priority. What you get for finishing it is endlessly useful

Cruzader

Banned
Oh man first time posting here but I feel dirty having had to ask one of my PSN friends for advice on that gargoyle on top of the church.

I remember I beat a similar boss on Demon's souls without too much issue but it's because this time, they made the fight cheap as fuck. Im not sure we can post spoilers here but had to use a cheap method that I didn't know about.

But I had no choice. I mean I got the health down to 50% and get 2 fuckers one ling range attack and the other charging at you, constantly. Damn. In DS1, one of the monsters would fly away giving you chance to 1 on 1 the other. This fight, yea right.

Anyways beat it and gonna do some grinding now.

oracrest

Oh man first time posting here but I feel dirty having had to ask one of my PSN friends for advice on that gargoyle on top of the church.

I remember I beat a similar boss on Demon's souls without too much issue but it's because this time, they made the fight cheap as fuck. Im not sure we can post spoilers here but had to use a cheap method that I didn't know about.

But I had no choice. I mean I got the health down to 50% and get 2 fuckers one ling range attack and the other charging at you, constantly. Damn. In DS1, one of the monsters would fly away giving you chance to 1 on 1 the other. This fight, yea right.

Anyways beat it and gonna do some grinding now.

I was the opposite, the wide breadth of space they give you on the roof was more than fair. That damned maneater fight had such a thin bridge, I got knocked off it constantly. The "distance" attack the new fight throws at you was something I found more challenging though. At the E3 demo, only one would execute that attack.

And oh, how the thread slows down when in community. Any mods wanna toss this back into general gaming for a bit? I know the constant presence on the first few pages was a huge factor in getting new players to brave Demons Souls back in the day.

Cruzader

Banned
I was the opposite, the wide breadth of space they give you on the roof was more than fair. That damned maneater fight had such a thin bridge, I got knocked off it constantly. The "distance" attack the new fight throws at you was something I found more challenging though. At the E3 demo, only one would execute that attack.

And oh, how the thread slows down when in community. Any mods wanna toss this back into general gaming for a bit? I know the constant presence on the first few pages was a huge factor in getting new players to brave Demons Souls back in the day.
Ah yes Maneaster was a baby fight compared to this one. I knew the moment the intro kicked in that I was gonna fight more than one and boy was I not happy.

I'll take Maneater 2 than cheap ass boss 2.0 thanx

Ill Saint

Ah yes Maneaster was a baby fight compared to this one. I knew the moment the intro kicked in that I was gonna fight more than one and boy was I not happy.

I'll take Maneater 2 than cheap ass boss 2.0 thanx

Try using pine resin on your weapon. Also, go human and summon Solaire and / or someone else. They shouldn't be giving you much trouble at all, though I know the fight seems intimidating at first.

Saya

So, I saved
Solaire at Lost Izalith
, but he is not showing up as a summoning sign at
Kiln
. Am I missing something? I can't find him in Lost Izalith anymore.

sixghost

What, the, fuck.

I'm in anor londo 1 moment, the next moment I'm stuck in a fucking painting.

I've got the crest shield now from the asylum when you go back, it's bettah.

I think you might misunderstand how to judge shield effectiveness.

The values you want to look at are its Resistances(Phys, Magic, Fire, Lightning), but more than that, you want to look at Stability.

The four resistances tell you how much of each damage type will be blocked, but the the huge factor that I think you are missing is Stability. Each time you block a hit with your shield, your Stamina bar takes a hit dependent on the strength of the attack, but it's also effected by the Stability of your shield. A shield with a stability of 75 or 80(eagle or other greatshield) will burn much much less stamina than a shield with 60ish(crest shield).

Since most of the damage you take in this game is physical, Physical and Stability are the two most important stats for shields. And since most non-small shields have 100% phys, Stability is the most important stat for shields, which is nice, since that's the stat that increases when you upgrade shields.

ixix

I, uh, think I might have just gotten killed by an invader in the most bizarre manner possible.

I was down in New Londo planning to fight the boss. I didn't see any summoning signs near the entrance, and so since it's such an invasion hot spot I decided to trot on through by my lonesome and just nab a phantom near the boss door, summon Beatrice, and call it good.

Halfway across the bridge into New Londo I got a big full-screen pop-up message saying "Failed to Create Session." I'm pretty sure that means that somebody tried to invade me and our internet connections just couldn't see eye to eye. I trot on towards the boss door, kill the first couple of enemies, and decide to go ahead and nab the treasure beyond the hidden door as long as I'm in the neighborhood. I smack the wall, kill the enemy guarding it, open the chest, and start heading on back across the walkway. Suddenly I get "Failed to Create Session" again, except this time I'm on a narrow walkway and as the message pops up the camera gets caught on some masonry in its oh-so-endearing way, twists violently, and sends me walking into a fatal drop as I am distracted dismissing the message.

I got murdered by being spammed with pop-up windows. It's like I was assassinated by the 90's internet.

I also encountered my second Vagrant ever while co-oping down there. Exciting evening in New Londo, all told.

Wool

I got summoned to help this Italian guy in Dark Anor Londo today. I've probably killed O&S around 20 times as a co-cop phantom, but this was the first time I was summoned into the level when it was dark. The guy just wanted to stand on the bridge and kill Darkmoon invaders, and we killed 11 before he died. A red invader and a blue invader both showed up at the same time and as the 2-on-2 chaos started the host rolled off the edge.

Is it possible in the Forest or in Anor Londo to have 2 blue invaders and a red invader all at the same time or does it cap at 2 total?

2AdEPT

Started playing this again for a bit last night but I'm a bit lost with where I should go next. The Undead Burg and Darkroot Gardens are totally cleaned out.

- I've cleared out The Depths but that boss
Gaping Dragon
seems way too hard for my current level.

- The New Londo Ruins seem tough and I only have two Transient Curses.

- The Catacombs should probably been attempted with a Divine Weapon. I have a +5 weapon that would be suitable but I need to find a piece of Green Titanite.

I have the Master Key and once found a gate that lead to a new area with some big ogre-like creatures. Valley of the Drakes? I don't remember where to go though.

Any suggestions on where to head out next?

You need to search through all areas to find the next steps....but your options are limited without ringing both bells. The guy at firelink says this is your goal, i.e. to ring a bell above (assume you did this) and also below....(assume you missed it) "Below" could be confused as catacombs, and I have done catacombs first in order to get the rite so that I could get 20 estus, the great scythe / fire blacksmith, and the darkmoon seance ring early (and another time to get the gravelord covenant started early), but most people suggest the depths. Since you have the master key though, the obvious advantage of it is entering blighttown by those ogres as it is a MAJOR shortcut to the lower bell. I always go to the lower bell first for new characters, get the awesome and unique equipment that this act serves, and then help noobs etc.

malfcn

Been mostly doing end, str and dex. with a few in vit. but wtf why did i put one in int?

Also, trying to understand the equipment screens. Under ATK it has two rows, like XXX then -/+XX

Kind of understand the Bonus, Effects. Req seems straight forward. Under Effects, what is the white and black circles?

Hmm almost 35 thousand to spend..4 points.

Do thieves crit higher for any reason? (Why not start as thief and then customize?)

2AdEPT

Why Scamco?

Do the depths. Since you have the master key you can actually skip the depths and go into the back of blighttown via new londo ruins -> valley of the drakes, but I'd recommend against this for your first playthrough. Better to experience all of the depths and blighttown.

Gaping isn't a hard boss, but he does have a pretty large amount of HP. I love this boss fight, it's one of my favorites and also one of the best to co-op. If you have pyromancy or good sorcery you can take large chunks out of his health, otherwise run behind him and 2H him with your best weapon, and get out of the way when he jumps.

As for New londo, you can buy transient curse from the female merchant in the burg, iirc. The ghosts also drop them from time to time. It's possible to tackle this area early on, but i'd wait till later. Same with the catacombs. Both NL and Catacombs lead to bosses that you don't need to beat until later.

DOn't "skip" any levels using master key on first playthrough, but definitely do blighttown backwards. if you can acquire the slumbering dragon crest ring you can be silent and backstab some pretty annoying zombie things this way.....depths must be done linearly though going in through the out door does not work....bring a homeward bone and do not light the middle fire in Blighttown and you solve having to go back the way you came in......and ring that bell asap. Once you do you can clean out the spoils from the surrounding area of one of the final levels of the game, plus the best general all purpose weapon from the place that opens once you ring.

I got summoned to help this Italian guy in Dark Anor Londo today. I've probably killed O&S around 20 times as a co-cop phantom, but this was the first time I was summoned into the level when it was dark. The guy just wanted to stand on the bridge and kill Darkmoon invaders, and we killed 11 before he died. A red invader and a blue invader both showed up at the same time and as the 2-on-2 chaos started the host rolled off the edge.

Is it possible in the Forest or in Anor Londo to have 2 blue invaders and a red invader all at the same time or does it cap at 2 total?

Most I've seen is 1 host, 1 white phanton, 1 red and 2 blue guys. It was bananas.

Host can summon 2 and be invaded by 2 at minimum.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Fuck that painting, fuck those skeleton wheel things and fuck that invisible boss.

Jesus that was frustrating.

Did you get her tail?

Sadly I haven't touched Dark in 2 weeks. Halfway through my second run and only have two more trophs for the plat but Battlefield 3 kinda took over. Took me 2 years to go back to Demon's and plat it..might end up doin the same for Dark. Once you know these games inside out it's hard to get excited for anything but pvp which I did MANY hours of.

Finished Sen, Anor and Painted world

Man the Butterfly Horn is weak sauce, and there's no point in upgrading it since you can go to Duke's next and get the Moonlight greataword and collect a shit ton of Blue titnate to make yourself an Enchanted weapon.

Homing Soulmass is so ridiculous against bosses the damage is just insane, especially since I'm wearing the Dusk crown and the Dragon boost sorcery damage ring. I do really hope though that I find lots of interesting and different spells at Duke's, so far Sorcery fells extremely one dimensional (Soul arrows and more soul arrows) unless FROM intended for you to be more diverse and mixing miracles which I won't be doing on this character.

Think i'm nearing the end, so i'm starting to prepare for NG+. My main 2 questions are:

1) Any suggestions for a weapon with low requirements (stats are 16 STR/14 DEX/8 INT/Ton of Faith) that will work well for bosses with fire enchantment? I was thinking probably a scythe may do the job
2) Bonfire spots to be kindled for NG+. Firelink Shrine and the save area outside S&O's boss room would be no brainers. The one above Andrei would also be a good choice. Any others?

Looks like I've hit a wall after anor londo. Every new place I go to is such bullshit. I tried duke's archives, demon ruins, new londo, and just now the great hollow (bloody frogs cursed and then instantly killed me as soon as I reached the bottom). I don't even want to try tomb of the giants, that place just sounds like gigantic pain in the ass.

People weren't kidding around when they said the game design takes a dive towards the end.

Sounds like you're under-leveled, how hard was the S+O fight for you?

edbrat

Try using pine resin on your weapon. Also, go human and summon Solaire and / or someone else. They shouldn't be giving you much trouble at all, though I know the fight seems intimidating at first.

Pop back to firelink and speak to lautrec after rescuing him and he will be available for summoning, he can be a beast against the gargoyles if ur having trouble with them.

mxgt

Banned
Just found out you can give moss stuff to Snuggly for Twinkling Titanite. Black Knight Sword+3 is pretty beast, can't wait to upgrade it more

MMaRsu

Banned
Fuck I hate the fact that since I spoke to frampt after obtaining the lordvessel so now I cant talk to kaathe and join,the darkwraith covenant.. Fml all I want is a red invasion stone :((((( do I really have to wait till next playthrough?

Septimius

Man. We've come a long way.

Fuck I hate the fact that since I spoke to frampt after obtaining the lordvessel so now I cant talk to kaathe and join,the darkwraith covenant.. Fml all I want is a red invasion stone :((((( do I really have to wait till next playthrough?

Yeah, it's extremely brutal, but if you talk to Frampt before meeting Kaathe, he won't show up :/ It's one of those hate-love things with D Souls. I love that it is like that, but I hate that I would have missed half the game's content without sitting down and reading a guide about everything, first.

Yeah I hate how the Darkwraiths, which are my favorite covenant, are kinda one time limited deal, and you can't delay it since you have to place the lordvassel to be able to progress further.

It's really way to punishing since you have to go through NG+ again if you missed your shot.

chunk3rvd

Since we're on the subject, I just acquired the Lordvessel. What is the best thing for me to do next? I know I can give it to 2 different people but what are the advantages/disadvantages to each option?

If you are not into invading, just give it to Frampnt (Firelink), all Kaath is good for is the Red Eye which makes you invade people as many times as you like, Frampnt however is much more useful since you can sell your stuff (you won't be able to after you aligned with Kaath) and breakdown larger chunks of titnate into smaller shards if you like.

Cruzader

Banned
Guess I'll ask some noob questions from a former Demon's Souls vet.

Ok so when I started the game, I tried to go on the Catacombs, past a cemetary. I felt that area to be scary at level 4 or so. (I'm a warrior) so I went the other way, towards the castle. I think the boss of this level is that Bull/OX monster you have to fall of a ledge and stab. Ok so I kept going and now I am near the entrance of the forest.

Recently beat the 2x boss and rang the first bell. So my Q is, should I go back to check the catacombs or not yet? Also at the very first checkpoint/light thing, below that is this huge ass elevator thing that I ignored. Is that something I should check out too? I just need a no yes type of answer. Don't need spoilers. I'm level ~20 but feel extremlt weak still so maybe I should bot go to these spots.

Btw I'm like 9-10 hours into the game. I'm still a zombie and have no idea how to become human/hollow. If someone could do a quick description on how that works, it would be great. I haven't had a clue since the beginning. On Demon's souls, it just happens after your first boss. On this I get a humanity thing but unsure if I just use it and become human. And being human, does that make the enemies 1.5x tougher but yield more xp? Hope I'm not asking for too much.

EasyMode

So my Q is, should I go back to check the catacombs or not yet? Also at the very first checkpoint/light thing, below that is this huge ass elevator thing that I ignored. Is that something I should check out too? I just need a no yes type of answer. Don't need spoilers. I'm level ~20 but feel extremlt weak still so maybe I should bot go to these spots.
It's too early to be going into the catacombs. Instead go back to the bridge you got to just after beating the Taurus demon, the one guarded by the red dragon. There's a locked door there you should be able to open now. You can also ignore that elevator you mentioned.

Btw I'm like 9-10 hours into the game. I'm still a zombie and have no idea how to become human/hollow. If someone could do a quick description on how that works, it would be great. I haven't had a clue since the beginning. On Demon's souls, it just happens after your first boss. On this I get a humanity thing but unsure if I just use it and become human. And being human, does that make the enemies 1.5x tougher but yield more xp? Hope I'm not asking for too much.
You see that counter in the upper left corner (00 by default)? That's your humanity. If you have at least one, you can revive to human form at a bonfire. If you're human and still have humanity, you can kindle a bonfire (up to a point) to get more estus flasks. When you're human you can summon help if you see a soul sign on the ground, but you'll also be open to invasion. Being human doesn't affect enemy toughness or xp.

Sometimes your humanity counter will increase when you kill enemies (this is random). There's also an item called humanity which you can use to increase the counter. Some can be found lying around, bosses will drop it, and sometimes rats and a few other enemies.

shiroryu

Oh man joined the Forest Covenant and it's a blast. As I expected, experiences vary from hounding some poor low-level soul to people who curbstomp me. Being a mage with only the arrow series sucks.

Invasion 1: Someone who was already losing to a forestbro; soul arrow to seal the deal.

2: Think it was an Ornstein/Smough RP duo, lol. Clearly high-level, no chance, think it was WotG the fat guy was using.

3: A Black Knight guy. Hit him with magic as the guy bowed. Waited for him to get off a heal, then restarted, but no dice - died.

4: Same guy, and he bows again, but another forestbro with spear comes in, and guy starts running. For some reason he tries to fight us in the ruined castle letting spear guy get a plunging attack. He runs again, and spear bro catches up with him just as he's opening the Sif door. Got an indictment, but this was prolly because the spear guy kept doing the taunt.

5: A pair with lightning swords - man lightning builds are everywhere. Invade them straight up, get killed easily.

6: Bit tired of being killed, attune the Chameleon and Hidden Body spells. Invade the same guys, but this time sit tight as a tree next to Treants. The host and phantom come in, rolling into bushes lol, checking for me. Just as they come in, phantom gets Great Heavy Soul Arrow in his face, and the treants pounce. Manage to hit the host with another, but just as me and phantom are squaring off, host gets killed by treants.

Cruzader

Banned
It's too early to be going into the catacombs. Instead go back to the bridge you got to just after beating the Taurus demon, the one guarded by the red dragon. There's a locked door there you should be able to open now. You can also ignore that elevator you mentioned.

You see that counter in the upper left corner (00 by default)? That's your humanity. If you have at least one, you can revive to human form at a bonfire. If you're human and still have humanity, you can kindle a bonfire (up to a point) to get more estus flasks. When you're human you can summon help if you see a soul sign on the ground, but you'll also be open to invasion. Being human doesn't affect enemy toughness or xp.

Sometimes your humanity counter will increase when you kill enemies (this is random). There's also an item called humanity which you can use to increase the counter. Some can be found lying around, bosses will drop it, and sometimes rats and a few other enemies.
Oh wow. Thanx for that info. I've had humanity points on that counter thing but thought I had to reach a certain level to get human form. I'll go check that Door you said. Thanx again.!

Ps: the item I foolishly picked to start was an HP ring which I thought would charge up your HP at a slow rate. Instead it just adds like 5% extra health to your total which sucks monkey balls. I should of picked that special key. Will I get a chance to buy it atleast? I remember some doors being locked on some of the starting sections of the game.

Sullichin

In addition to having harder enemies, most of the later areas have annoying environmental hazards that make playing through them again a real chore. With the exception of Dukes/Crystal Caves - which has invisible platforms but really isn't a problem once you know where they are, I tend to stay away from these areas once I'm past the boss. I've warmed up to these areas from my initial contempt, and I actually like Demons Ruins a lot. I think the game might peak at Sens / Anor Londo, culminating with the awesome Anor Londo boss fight.

Finished Sen, Anor and Painted world

Man the Butterfly Horn is weak sauce, and there's no point in upgrading it since you can go to Duke's next and get the Moonlight greataword and collect a shit ton of Blue titnate to make yourself an Enchanted weapon.

Homing Soulmass is so ridiculous against bosses the damage is just insane, especially since I'm wearing the Dusk crown and the Dragon boost sorcery damage ring. I do really hope though that I find lots of interesting and different spells at Duke's, so far Sorcery fells extremely one dimensional (Soul arrows and more soul arrows) unless FROM intended for you to be more diverse and mixing miracles which I won't be doing on this character.

So disappointed with the Butterfly Horn lol. I have over 40INT, Dusk Crown and Dragon Ring as well, and it still does crap damage. Looks cool though. There's a possibility to get better spells at Duke's, don't expect anything too different from what you're using though.

Can someone explain Namco = Scamco in the title? Just referring to the patch changes? I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom