• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2187

Banned
So I've been helping people out in the painted world while farming for Large titanite shards, the Multi aspect is very fun.

I've gotten myself a big ass cursed sword of artorias and the ghosts are way to numerous to use effectively, any sort of shield or tips to get past these ghosts?

So I've been helping people out in the painted world while farming for Large titanite shards, the Multi aspect is very fun.

I've gotten myself a big ass cursed sword of artorias and the ghosts are way to numerous to use effectively, any sort of shield or tips to get past these ghosts?

It's hard as fuck. There are two rooms where they spawn gang bang you in the middle of the room.
Can't really lure them out one by one either, especially the one where you are on a narrow stairway path.

My advice to to hit & run.
Hit em as fast as you can & run away as soon as you see one of them start an attack animation. Get some distance between you & the mob & run back when none of them are in a attack animation.
If you can kill them in two hits, this is very doable.

joe2187

Banned
The cursed sword does the job in two hits, but it's very slow on recovery leaving me open to attacks in front and around, which they spawn in droves...

Please tell me there is a bonfire somewhere...

Any tips on directions, after placing the lordvessal Im not sure where to head to next, I kind of want to check out the Dukes Archives, but I've been wanting to see what's down in these New lando ruins

Any good places to farm for Demon Titanite?

The cursed sword does the job in two hits, but it's very slow on recovery leaving me open to attacks in front and around, which they spawn in droves...

Please tell me there is a bonfire somewhere...

Any tips on directions, after placing the lordvessal Im not sure where to head to next, I kind of want to check out the Dukes Archives, but I've been wanting to see what's down in these New lando ruins

Any good places to farm for Demon Titanite?

Check this: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/demon-titanite

Did you get the Lightning Spear? If you did, it's safe, just back off from the ghosts, use the temporary curse and hit them while you guard yourself.

I tried a new approach, playing co-op with a friend by setting up two game setups:

emhXH.jpg

It works rather well, aside from the randomness of who gets to see the summon markers.

http://www.beardednerd.se/dark-souls-dual-screen-co-op/

Guevara

Ha that looks awesome. I know it's heresy to say this but I hope the next Soul's game has more robust coop options. Even playing cooperatively with randos is very fun.

Raide

Ha that looks awesome. I know it's heresy to say this but I hope the next Soul's game has more robust coop options. Even playing cooperatively with randos is very fun.

I can understand why people wanted Dark Souls to be similar to Demon's Souls but after 2 games where you play a lonely character, fighting for survival, I also think Dark Souls 2 should do something more with the co-op element.

I love the Invading stuff and I think they could expand on the covenant stuff but what I really want it a more streamlined co-op element. From have shown they can create an awesome world with huge amounts of atmosphere, so I am sure they can keep that with 4 players.

Imagine being in the same kind of world, where you actually have to support each other. Lowering ropes to help players up, splitting up to sort out puzzles etc, having to rescue the soul of someone that has died (Only way to get them back!)

They have so many options that are not just 4 players killing stuff.

Imagine being in the same kind of world, where you actually have to support each other. Lowering ropes to help players up, splitting up to sort out puzzles etc, having to rescue the soul of someone that has died (Only way to get them back!)

They have so many options that are not just 4 players killing stuff.

Sounds too gimmicky, like Army of Two.

Raide

Sounds too gimmicky, like Army of Two.

The co-op was good in Army of Two.

I just don't see how From can just make another Dark Souls using the same premiss. They need to mix it up a bit more. Even if they just streamline the way people co-op, it would be much better.

They should do way more with the Covenant stuff. Making them have actual roles in the game, beyond "You Invade or you attack."

Dresden

I'd be more satisfied with Diablo 2-style cooping. Have lobbies. Jump into do boss runs. Make said boss runs uber ball crushing hard.

I guess it'd go against the 'spirit' of the games, but I'd like to have more mp fun.

sixghost

I'd be more satisfied with Diablo 2-style cooping. Have lobbies. Jump into do boss runs. Make said boss runs uber ball crushing hard.

I guess it'd go against the 'spirit' of the games, but I'd like to have more mp fun.

I just hope FROM implements some sort of scaling system based on how many players you have. Coop is fun, but the challenge really goes out the window.

Raide

Maybe go back to the Demon's Souls style, where you have the main Nexus, which acts like a PSO style lobby. Meet up, check out gear and get repairs etc, then party up and join the world.

I know its supposed to be all about dark and depressing fight for survival but I am sure that works in Co-op as well.

As long as they add stuff like Boss Rush mode, maybe a 4v4 arena mode or some more stuff where Invading has a larger role.

I just hope FROM implements some sort of scaling system based on how many players you have. Coop is fun, but the challenge really goes out the window.

I cannot be the only one that is a little disappointed in some of the bosses. I like the idea of cutting off tails etc, so I hope they expand that. Also, when the first showed the plunge attack, I was expecting some ability to jump on monsters and hack them up. It felt like a let-down when it was just fall from a certain height.

Some more varied boss phases could mix up the co-op more and that will increase the challenge.

Mxrz

Eh. I prefer it as is. Co-op honestly takes a lot of the challenge out of the game. if you could do the entire game with a friend you would likely blow through it super quick, and wouldn't think much of it. There are plenty of other good co-op games out there already. Souls needs to stay what it is and be unique for it.

I tried 4 Kings NG+ - My claymore wasn't even hitting them. I don't remember range being an issue from the first fight with them. But then I don't remember much about that except how quickly they died. Made a lightning washing pole, maybe its long enough. If not I'll try upgrading one of the large spears.

Raide

Eh. I prefer it as is. Co-op honestly takes a lot of the challenge out of the game. if you could do the entire game with a friend you would likely blow through it super quick, and wouldn't think much of it. There are plenty of other good co-op games out there already. Souls needs to stay what it is and be unique for it.

I tried 4 Kings NG+ - My claymore wasn't even hitting them. I don't remember range being an issue from the first fight with them. But then I don't remember much about that except how quickly they died. Made a lightning washing pole, maybe its long enough. If not I'll try upgrading one of the large spears.

I kinda disagree with this. Do people want yet another Demon's Souls for 3 games? At some point all the combat, dark tone, scattered story etc is going to feel old. They need to work on more ideas before the game gets stale before its time. If the ending of Dark Souls is an indication of the direction the story is heading, having it more co-op focused would make sense.

Just because you have 4 players, that does not mean From cannot make a game challenging. From give players lots of options to make interesting characters but it still boils down to keep hacking things. I am sure they can make the game even more unique and fun by working in more interesting co-op elements.

Well, there is not point me repeating the same thing but thats what I would love from Dark Souls 2.

Ratrat

Is there a correct(advisable) order for challenging the areas ? I beat the gargoyles and am wondering where to go next.

Dresden

Is there a correct(advisable) order for challenging the areas ? I beat the gargoyles and am wondering where to go next.

Logical place is to go back to the dragon bridge and unlock the door by Solaire with the key you received from the gargoyles.

You have the option of heading to the Catacombs, though, or if you have the Master Key, just going straight to Blighttown . . . I don't recommend this.

Ratrat

Did you already fight the Darkroot Garden boss? If not, that's an easy boss with a useful reward.

nope. I was slowly nipping away some giant armor knights health when I got ambushed by two others and immediately killed. kinda realized I had no business there atm. or maybe I need to man up.

I think that the Dark Souls co-op is easily the most interesting take on online gaming I have seen in a long while, I absolutely disagree that they should streamline it for the next game to more traditional direction.

Sullichin

I think that the Dark Souls co-op is easily the most interesting take on online gaming I have seen in a long while, I absolutely disagree that they should streamline it for the next game to more traditional direction.

Despite small problems I really, really love the way co-op and other multiplayer is handled. I didn't co-op until the depths the first time, and it blew my mind. The devilish level design of that area and great boss fight combined with your limited communication options worked together to make an experience that I really have never gotten in another game. I was instantly hooked. I love how single player and multiplayer are explicitly tied together. I don't think I'd want to see the typical "hoist your partner over this wall so they can open the door on the other side" gameplay in this series, what we have here is more interesting and organic. I'd love to see it improved but for it still remain fundamentally the same.

Anyway, been messing around with chaos gargoyles halberd +5 as my main pvp weapon. I like the reach and people get caught in my rolling R1 attack more often than with the BKGA. When I want to stunlock I switch to chaos manserpent greatsword+5.

Mxrz

So Four Kings is much, much easier if you don't summon the Witch for some reason. With her in NG+, I could barely take off one section of the lifebar before being overwhelmed. Alone, and using the same weapons, I killed each one before the next spawned.

I don't have a lot of experience to go on, but I can't say I noticed such a large difference with any other boss and a summon or co-op.

geez, gwyn is destroying me. any strategies? is my alternate strategy of iron flesh, havels, and two handed weapon (or powerful pyromancies) likely to work better than my initial plan of block, dodge and counter?

also, the fight sorta reminds me of the false king in demons. just you and another (somewhat larger than you) human. gwyn seems more aggressive than false king though. he is almost never attacking in my experience.

The Chef

So in making a character that can wear the heaviest armor and swing the biggest weapons should I first max out strength and then max out endurance? Or should I level them up steadily together? Right now my endurance is at 30 and strength is 21.

Sullichin

geez, gwyn is destroying me. any strategies? is my alternate strategy of iron flesh, havels, and two handed weapon (or powerful pyromancies) likely to work better than my initial plan of block, dodge and counter?

also, the fight sorta reminds me of the false king in demons. just you and another (somewhat larger than you) human. gwyn seems more aggressive than false king though. he is almost never attacking in my experience.

if you can parry/riposte well the fight goes from the hardest in the game to...something not very difficult. Even on NG+ you can take him out in under a minute using it, just parry/riposte over and over again. If you block,dodge and counter, it's safest to attack only when he's recovering from his grab animation. Oh and I don't usually step through that fog door without the black knight shield.

So Four Kings is much, much easier if you don't summon the Witch for some reason. With her in NG+, I could barely take off one section of the lifebar before being overwhelmed. Alone, and using the same weapons, I killed each one before the next spawned.

I don't have a lot of experience to go on, but I can't say I noticed such a large difference with any other boss and a summon or co-op.

4K is absolutely easier without beatrice or another phantom to help, definitely. 2 hand your best weapon, and you'll have time to check your email in between them spawning...

So in making a character that can wear the heaviest armor and swing the biggest weapons should I first max out strength and then max out endurance? Or should I level them up steadily together? Right now my endurance is at 30 and strength is 21.

I'd up endurance a little faster than strength because in my experience the STR weapons are are all best used 2 handed anyway. But base it on the weapon(s) you plan on using.

What the hell just happened? I put summon sign in front of the Sif door and idled in places. Soon I was being summoned as a dark spirit?? I found the two guys, they killed me and I lost my humanities and souls, didn't go hollow, but they were at the door when I went to check. I was doing Darkmoon invasions too.

I am pretty hooked on MP so I don't kinda want to do the last places I have to (NLR, TOTG, Archieves and Ruins) :p

aFIGurANT

Your Str is only going to matter if you're shooting for a certain weapon. You'll quickly start to find good ones that require upwards of 30 and if you've already gotten through a lot of the game I'd definitely start boosting it as you will start to see cool maces and whatnot that require 35-40. Endurance is probably at a good spot right now for you as is and is going to start to hurt you in PvP if you keep boosting it and not HP or your scaling stats (Str).

What the hell just happened? I put summon sign in front of the Sif door and idled in places. Soon I was being summoned as a dark spirit?? I found the two guys, they killed me and I lost my humanities and souls, didn't go hollow, but they were at the door when I went to check. I was doing Darkmoon invasions too.

That happened to me a couple of times, getting summoned as a dragon remnant when invading, or invading when putting my summon sign down, online is a little buggy.

Sullichin

What. I can rest at the first bonfire in Dark Anor Londo, even though the firekeeper is dead. Hell yeah. In this order, I killed gwyondolin, then the firekeeper, then ornstein and smough. A while later I killed gwynevere. In the cutscene there was no Gwyndolin voice, makes sense since he was dead. Don't know why the bonfire works though, even works when I quit & reload. On another note those two guards in dark londo hit really freaking hard in ng++.

Alucrid

Banned
So I took a three month break and just started this up again. I'm at the wolf boss getting my ass kicked and I kinda forget how summoning works. In order to summon someone I need to be human right? Then I just click on their summoning sign?

I'm also still using the stupid Drake Sword. I have a Black Knight Greatsword but it's much too slow and unwieldy for my type of play style, what weapon should I be heading for? Are lightning weapons still the bees knees?

Edit: Also, how should I act as a host. I remember hearing something about healing your summons somehow?

The Chef

Your Str is only going to matter if you're shooting for a certain weapon. You'll quickly start to find good ones that require upwards of 30 and if you've already gotten through a lot of the game I'd definitely start boosting it as you will start to see cool maces and whatnot that require 35-40. Endurance is probably at a good spot right now for you as is and is going to start to hurt you in PvP if you keep boosting it and not HP or your scaling stats (Str).

Thanks for the input!

hao chi

nope. I was slowly nipping away some giant armor knights health when I got ambushed by two others and immediately killed. kinda realized I had no business there atm. or maybe I need to man up.

If you stick to the left it's easy to avoid them. You'll have to run away from one, and around another, but you should get past them with no problem.

Might want to make sure you have a Homeward Bone handy. It can be a bit tough getting past them on the way back.

So I took a three month break and just started this up again. I'm at the wolf boss getting my ass kicked and I kinda forget how summoning works. In order to summon someone I need to be human right? Then I just click on their summoning sign?

I'm also still using the stupid Drake Sword. I have a Black Knight Greatsword but it's much too slow and unwieldy for my type of play style, what weapon should I be heading for? Are lightning weapons still the bees knees?

Edit: Also, how should I act as a host. I remember hearing something about healing your summons somehow?

Yeah, you need to be in human form, and just activate any summoning signs. It might be tough to summon people to fight Sif though, because of invading Forest Hunters, and a lot of people place their summoning signs down to help people troll Forest Hunters. I'd suggest playing offline until you get to the bridge leading to Sif, then go online and see if there's any summoning signs on the ground.

On my first playthrough, I used a Titanite Catch Pole for a while, which was nice because it's very powerful and has nice range, but it's also a rare drop from Titanite Demons.

I also used a Silver Knight Straight Sword from the knights in Anor Londo, which was my most used weapon for playthrough 1 until I could finally make Quelaag's Furysword.

Uchigatana, Iaito, and Washing Pole are all good for dexterity builds if that's what you're going for.

And yes, Phantoms can only heal themselves with a Miracle or Humanity, and usually rely on the host to heal them with an Estus Flask. Also, I'm pretty sure Phantoms only receive a fraction of the healing from an Estus Flask as the host does, so keep that in mind.

Dresden

1. Yep.

2. Lightning weapons are still the bee's knees, but regular scaling weapons catch up later on.

3. Phantoms get healed when you heal up with a flask.

Alucrid

Banned
If you stick to the left it's easy to avoid them. You'll have to run away from one, and around another, but you should get past them with no problem.

Might want to make sure you have a Homeward Bone handy. It can be a bit tough getting past them on the way back.

Yeah, you need to be in human form, and just activate any summoning signs. It might be tough to summon people to fight Sif though, because of invading Forest Hunters, and a lot of people place their summoning signs down to help people troll Forest Hunters. I'd suggest playing offline until you get to the bridge leading to Sif, then go online and see if there's any summoning signs on the ground.

On my first playthrough, I used a Titanite Catch Pole for a while, which was nice because it's very powerful and has nice range, but it's also a rare drop from Titanite Demons.

I also used a Silver Knight Sword from the knights in Anor Londo, which was my most used weapon for playthrough 1 until I could finally make Quelaag's Furysword.

Uchigatana, Iaito, and Fishing Pole are all good for dexterity builds if that's what you're going for.

And yes, you usually need to heal people you summon. They can heal themselves with a Miracle or Humanity, but usually won't. I'm pretty sure Phantoms only receive a fraction of the healing from an Estus Flask as the host does, so keep that in mind.

1. Yep.

2. Lightning weapons are still the bee's knees, but regular scaling weapons catch up later on.

3. Phantoms get healed when you heal up with a flask.

Great, thanks for the replies. I'll go with what ya'll suggested and I'm trying to make up a Lighting sword atm.

hao chi

Great, thanks for the replies. I'll go with what ya'll suggested and I'm trying to make up a Lighting sword atm.

Perhaps someone will have a better recommendation, but I think the Washing Pole is a great choice to add lightning to. It has great range while still having fast attacks.

just killed gwyn. i remember seeing a bit wall of black text at one point from...maybe ixix? id like to read it now that i have finished if anyone has the link. if i remember correctly it was a summation of all the story bits he was able to piece together.

In our co-op session we got to Tomb before I got tired of the game. So I'll be taking a break and come back later.

I'm a Cleric currently using a +9 divine notched whip that I made for the catacombs. I needed a divine weapon and figured a whip could be fun for that Castlevania style. Aside from that, I have the old 1H Astora sword at +5 that I've been using for ages.

I have a heavy Faith build with some dex. I have the great lightning bolts from sunbros. At the moment I'm wearing the Black Cleric Robe and the Xanthous gloves and legs.

Where do I go from here? I feel I should have a weapon that does more damage even if I rely more and more on the lightning. Just tell me what to aim for at this level and I can wiki it.

I should clarify: after Anor Londo we've done the painting and the catacombs.

Where do I go from here? I feel I should have a weapon that does more damage even if I rely more and more on the lightning. Just tell me what to aim for at this level and I can wiki it.

After Anor Londo, the weapons really open up. Nothing comes close as to what is best.
Did you transform Orenstein, Sifs or Qualaags souls into weapons yet? Those are some of better class of weapons in the game.

if you picked up the great scythe in the catacombs it's a pretty nice weapon either as a chaos/fire/lightning or +15 with darkmoon or sunlight blade miracles.

Mxrz

I need
Priscilla's tail.
Any surefire methods to get it? I'm in NG+ so she shouldn't die so fast, and I know you need to hit her three or four times rapidly with fire to get her to reappear, but does it need to do a certain amount of damage?

hao chi

I need
Priscilla's tail.
Any surefire methods to get it? I'm in NG+ so she shouldn't die so fast, and I know you need to hit her three or four times rapidly with fire to get her to reappear, but does it need to do a certain amount of damage?

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but all I did was watch for the footprints in the snow, then I would sprint around the footprints and hit
Priscilla
in the back, then run away, and repeat. I was doing that for at least half the boss fight before I cut her tail off.

maomaoIYP

I need
Priscilla's tail.

You can just hit her physically to make her appear. The trick is to use an un-upgraded weapon that does not cause bleeding. She still drops like a fly in NG+, I finally managed to get it in NG++

maomaoIYP

I heard that the damage caused from rolling into an enemy while wearing any piece of the thorns armor will prevent damage from chain backstabs registering. So if someone backstabs you again right when you roll into them after getting up, you will see the backstab animation but the roll damage will take precedence and you won't take any damage from the backstab.
I have no idea if this actually works. I wouldn't bank on it.

It tried this today. It ABSOLUTELY WORKS. Also if your enemy has poor poise you can stagger him and set him up for a backstab of your own.

Asked this before but the answer may have gotten lost in the thread, in Darkroot Garden beyond the gate I've been helping others playing co-op to take down Sif and notice all the NPCs are frozen and can not be hit. Can anyone explain this? Is it a glitch?

one85x

Asked this before but the answer may have gotten lost in the thread, in Darkroot Garden beyond the gate I've been helping others playing co-op to take down Sif and notice all the NPCs are frozen and can not be hit. Can anyone explain this? Is it a glitch?
The host is most likely just a member of the Forest Covenant. I've never co-oped there, but I'm guessing they don't let phantoms interact with the NPCs unless they're hostile so that you can't break the host's covenant.

Leezard

The host is most likely just a member of the Forest Covenant. I've never co-oped there, but I'm guessing they don't let phantoms interact with the NPCs unless they're hostile so that you can't break the host's covenant.

Friendly NPCs in general cannot be hit by phantoms. I dunno if the phantoms can hit them if the host attacks the NPCs, but I'd guess so.

Friendly NPCs in general cannot be hit by phantoms. I dunno if the phantoms can hit them if the host attacks the NPCs, but I'd guess so.

Yeah, guess that must be it. Thanks! Just killed Sif myself after a couple of goes getting destroyed by blue phantoms. Been leveling up my weapons and armor but one guy took about 90% of my health with one swipe of his katana.

What are the best weapons against phantoms? Magic? Enchanted?

if you picked up the great scythe in the catacombs it's a pretty nice weapon either as a chaos/fire/lightning or +15 with darkmoon or sunlight blade miracles.

Thanks for the tip! It's at +1 Lightning now and does very decent damage. Along with some ranged magic, I feel a lot more confident now.

Before I move on, I'll harvest the huge guards in Anor Londo to get more chunks, so that I can max it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom