• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
What's the method to creating a lightning based weapon, and what is one that you would recommend? Been using the Drake Sword forever, but what something lightning based!!

Take any normal weapon, upgrade it to +10 at Andrei (outside parish). For this you need a bunch of titanite shards (that you can buy off him) and a bunch of large titanite (that you can buy at the smith in Anor Londo or farm). When it's +10, take it to the smith in Anor Londo to make it Lightning. After that, you need titanite chunks to improve it further.

From the wiki:

smaller-guide.jpg

Is there any place where you can find a nice summary of the game's lore? I'm really interested in who Havel is. I remember reading somewhere there used to be a whole army of those guys. Would make for a pretty sweet level.

Dylan

Started playing more again. Dark Souls I can't quit you.

My biggest Dark Souls gripe is that it seems really difficult to compare weapon damages. For example, my Queelag blade does a lot of fire damage on paper, but in practice it doesn't seem to cause as much damage as my silver knight sword +5 for the majority of enemies I encounter. Not really sure why this is?

This makes me really unsure of which weapons to upgrade and use for different parts of the game. For example, I'll need a divine weapon for the crypt, what type of weapon would be best to upgrade?

Dylan

Currently gravelording the Painted World......SL 41.....

My Gravelord servent needs some lovin'

I just played through the Painted World for my first time. How incredible is it that entire enemy types were designed exclusively for a part of the game that most people won't ever even see?

Is there any place where you can find a nice summary of the game's lore? I'm really interested in who Havel is. I remember reading somewhere there used to be a whole army of those guys. Would make for a pretty sweet level.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Lore

What's the method to creating a lightning based weapon, and what is one that you would recommend? Been using the Drake Sword forever, but what something lightning based!!

I got used to the lightning spear and it works fine. Safe, quick and has a good range. After i used it for 2 levels, i couldn't go back to swords.

joe2187

Banned
I really like the painted world, nice place to farm for souls real early on, and the large pieces of titanite, it's also become my favorite PVP and Co-op place of choice, I love the Priscilla boss fight.

I hang around Quellags domain and painted world looking to Help out people, I stay away from PVP in blightown since They seem to summon a three team wall of death as soon as I enter.

Quikies83

I could use some help in Quelaags Domain -- SL 30 on PS3. On my second playthrough (not new game +) and she is giving me much more trouble this time around. And Mildred is useless.

Yeah, guess that must be it. Thanks! Just killed Sif myself after a couple of goes getting destroyed by blue phantoms. Been leveling up my weapons and armor but one guy took about 90% of my health with one swipe of his katana.

What are the best weapons against phantoms? Magic? Enchanted?

I remember people saying Occult is the best against live humans. I'm not sure if that was tested.

EpicNameBro is making videos on the lore, check out his latest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxz4rLqWBe4&feature=channel_video_title

My biggest Dark Souls gripe is that it seems really difficult to compare weapon damages. For example, my Queelag blade does a lot of fire damage on paper, but in practice it doesn't seem to cause as much damage as my silver knight sword +5 for the majority of enemies I encounter. Not really sure why this is?

This makes me really unsure of which weapons to upgrade and use for different parts of the game. For example, I'll need a divine weapon for the crypt, what type of weapon would be best to upgrade?

A lot of enemies have good fire resistance. Like it's better to go the lighting upgrade over a fire even though it will give you slightly lower stats just from the fact less enemies in the game have lighting resistance.

Sullichin

Aw man. Had the bright idea of bb glitching a character who had lots of sunlight medals / eyes of death into a new guy so I can get the miracles trophy easier. Turns out I didn't get any miracles when I handed in all my sunlight medals, except for the initial lightning spear (rank 2 now). No option to hand in Gwyns soul even though I have that from the BB too. Apparently I have to wait until NG+ to do this...anyone know if there's a way around this? Maybe if I absolve my sins, abandon covenant, and rejoin.. I don't know.

I sat down and made a new character yesterday and spent most of my day off playing it. Got the Black Knight sword from the Black Knight in Undead Burg and leveled it up to +5 and have been tearing shit up. I've also found a few pieces of loot I never knew how to get on my first character. The game's level design, for the most part, is so complex, multi-layered and well made it's mindboggling. The game is absolutely god tier. There are a few hick ups, but I feel confident in that Dark Souls has become my favorite game of all time.

joe2187

Banned
Am I seriously fucking stuck in the Painted World until I beat Priscilla? UGH.

If you attacked her first after you first greeted her...well yeah.

Otherwise she gives you a free pass.

She is one of the easiest boss fights in the game,

look for the footsteps, roll into them and you'll see your character bounce of of the air, she'll slash nowhere near you and you got like 2-3 secs to take a few stabs and quickly roll back and repeat. You can set her on fire by spamming pyro spells all over places but it will quickly get you killed if you dont watch your bleed meter, this will cause her to reappear for a few moments.

I beat her without ever seeing her.

I started up my game again after having the first one corrupted. I'm in the garden right now and I accidentally killed the blacksmith :(. Is there another one soon?

joe2187

Banned
I started up my game again after having the first one corrupted. I'm in the garden right now and I accidentally killed the blacksmith :(. Is there another one soon?

You wont get another till Anor lando, and i'm not sure but you pretty much fucked your chances to level up your weapons past +5

who was the last boss you faced?

Santiako

Nope. I could the first time, but since attacking her, running to the end of the plank just results in falling off and dying, not in being ejected from the painting like it did before I attacked her.

Priscilla is super easy though. She is specially weak to fire.

joe2187

Banned
What are the benefit of RAW weapons? It seems like they do alot of physical damage but I love the special effects of certain weapons.

Dresden

What are the benefit of RAW weapons? It seems like they do alot of physical damage but I love the special effects of certain weapons.

Just cheap upgrade options for pure physical damage early in the game. Quickly gets outpaced by the normal upgrades.

Gaping Dragon :l. I got down to Blighttown but I kept dying in the swamp so I decided to farm up here. I got my Iaito to +5 though...

Guevara

Just summon someone if you really need help. Painted World is a hotbed of pvp activity, anyways.

Wow is this true; I was screwing around and got invaded by the bonfire while getting ready to kindle. I quickly called in two dudes, we killed the invader, then the phalanx, then the black knight and finally the boss, all in about 6 minutes. It was almost too fast as I was planning on exploring more.

On the plus side, one guy specifically got me Priscilla's Dagger.

There are obviously a lot of people just waiting to help out here.

Soulhouf

The only option left for you to have awesome weapons (other than the unique ones) is to go the chaos route.
After beating Blighttown boss, continue to the demon ruins and you will find the chaos ember there.
Go farm 11 green titanite shards or so and make Framp break 2 of them. Then go to the Catacombs. There the blacksmith will be able to ascend a normal weapon to to fire then (use 9 green titanite) ascend it to a chaos (you will need red titanite chunk, you can find 2 of them in the Unded Asylum).

This type of weapons scale with humanity. Try to keep always at least 10 humanities active to use its full potential.

maomaoIYP

Aw man. Had the bright idea of bb glitching a character who had lots of sunlight medals / eyes of death into a new guy so I can get the miracles trophy easier. Turns out I didn't get any miracles when I handed in all my sunlight medals, except for the initial lightning spear (rank 2 now). No option to hand in Gwyns soul even though I have that from the BB too. Apparently I have to wait until NG+ to do this...anyone know if there's a way around this? Maybe if I absolve my sins, abandon covenant, and rejoin.. I don't know.

There's no way around it. Also you cannot get any of the covenant items that you received in the original playthrough.

Different enemies have different resistances, also, damage that is split into two categories tend to do less damage than those that aren't. Anything that is blunt is great for the catacombs, because skeletons collapse with each hit taken. I used a halberd, has nice R2 attacks great for skeleton mobs.

Solo

Oh god, Anor Londo is such rich, creamy shit. A ton of gargoyles followed by two black knight snipers while you're running up a narrow incline? Fuck you, game.

Sullichin

There's no way around it. Also you cannot get any of the covenant items that you received in the original playthrough.

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to go into NG+ for those, doh. Got the gravelord miracles, Reas, and put 3 souvenirs toward the 10 I need for Darkmoon +1. So I suppose I'll get darkmoon blade, kill gwyndolin, co-op for a few sunlight medals again, finish the game, and get those last ones in NG+... lol.

Or are you saying I won't be able to get the sunlight covenant miracles even in NG+?

Alucrid

Banned
Wow is this true; I was screwing around and got invaded by the bonfire while getting ready to kindle. I quickly called in two dudes, we killed the invader, then the phalanx, then the black knight and finally the boss, all in about 6 minutes. It was almost too fast as I was planning on exploring more.

On the plus side, one guy specifically got me Priscilla's Dagger.

There are obviously a lot of people just waiting to help out here.

I got someone in Dark Root Garden but then we got invaded and I got killed. :(

Maybe sometime this week I'll get Sif.

Facism

got invaded by one of those bottomless item dupers as soon as i entered the burg. dickead rolled to his death lol

maomaoIYP

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to go into NG+ for those, doh. Got the gravelord miracles, Reas, and put 3 souvenirs toward the 10 I need for Darkmoon +1. So I suppose I'll get darkmoon blade, kill gwyndolin, co-op for a few sunlight medals again, finish the game, and get those last ones in NG+... lol.

Or are you saying I won't be able to get the sunlight covenant miracles even in NG+?

I THINK that is the case, but I didn't try to verify it. Once I figured I was screwed I restarted my character.

Sullichin

I THINK that is the case, but I didn't try to verify it. Once I figured I was screwed I restarted my character.

Well, I decided to go through with the rest of my miracle grabbing because I had a hunch that if the game thought I already had the covenant miracles, I would still get the trophy. So I got my remaining miracles, the last being the one in ash lake, and I was right because I got the prayer of a maiden trophy!

So, I think you're definitely right in that I won't be able to get those miracles for this character, even in NG+. But, that's because the game thinks I already have them because the character I BB glitched from did, so I was able to get the trophy.

And that was my last trophy, so I've now platinumed Dark Souls. 400 hours later, still playing :p

Mxrz

For whatever dumb reason I was farming humanity outside of Nito in human form. I was doing it for about an hour before I was invaded. I was down to only a few flasks, had the chest/mimic head on, and was using a chaos 'scythe' (that R1R1 has a nice sweep) and the lighting spear. The invader was the typical havel's / DWGR. Its the nature of the game and my own fault, but it still made me mad. I wanted to hunt the guy down (in game.)

Just need Sif's great shield now and I should have the platinum. This one zoomed past. * Feel like I've been playing for weeks straight ( probably have been.) I'm definitely feeling like I could use a break from the game.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I come to the conclusion that I really suck at this game. I'm at the beginning where you go through the light and the fat demon smashes the balcony and fall. Yeah. Can't get pass that part. Encountering normal enemies is a huge risk. This game really is no joke.

Gueras

Banned
to make the ascenssion for my pyro gloves i can't do the paint level right?

i mean i need to go back to swamp before i do the paint level right?

Frank

to make the ascenssion for my pyro gloves i can't do the paint level right?

i mean i need to go back to swamp before i do the paint level right?

Only because if you enter The Painted World you're stuck in it until you finish it. There's no other connection between the two.

So, if you want to play through The Painted World with an ascended flame, then you should go first to Blighttown's swamp, ascend the flame, then return to Anor Londo to enter the painting.

Keep in mind the cost to go from normal +10 to fully +5 ascended flame is ~150.000 souls (do check a wiki though, if you want more exact info). If your flame is not yet +10, that will add to the final tab.

/edit
My bad with the +10s from above, should be +15 :) to ascend.

Facism

wow man the game is infested with these guys who glitched their maxxed equipment from the bottomless box glitch. One dickhead spawned right infront of the bonfire in the Parish. i managed to take him out with a force blast that pushed him over the edge of the pathway as he spawned in.

Soulhouf

wow man the game is infested with these guys who glitched their maxxed equipment from the bottomless box glitch.
Yeah I noticed it when I started a new character lately.
Every single player who invades me has a full maxed gear with a lightning weapon which one shot me.

This is really getting annoying, especially when these players are there to grieve new players.
I feel bad when I blame them because there are some players who do this the hard way but they are so rare.

Sayah

Finally had a chance to play this game more. So glad I finally decided to experiment with the lightning spear. It does double the damage on enemies and bosses with each consecutive hit until my stamina runs out.

Also, accidentally hit Vamos. Had to kill him. Why can't the NPC's tolerate a few more hits before turning on you like in Demon's Souls? One little mistake and there goes one NPC out of your world.

Dresden

Finally had a chance to play this game more. So glad I finally decided to experiment with the lightning spear. It does double the damage on enemies and bosses with each consecutive hit until my stamina runs out.

Also, accidentally hit Vamos. Had to kill him. Why can't the NPC's tolerate a few more hits before turning on you like in Demon's Souls? One little mistake and there goes one NPC out of your world.

You can absolve, so I don't think that's a huge concern. Just run away from them or let them kill you.

Sayah

You can absolve, so I don't think that's a huge concern. Just run away from them or let them kill you.

Oh wow. I didn't even know that. Damn.........no fire or chaos upgrades for me in this playthrough. :(
But at least I get the Vamos Hammer. :D

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Alright, I'm finishing this game or I'm finishing this game. This week. No excuses.

Wish me luck. I'm going against the boss in the Crystal Caves right now.

Guevara

Where do people leave signs to help with Seath? I saw one by the bonfire in Duke's Archive but summoning failed. I didn't see another soul sign between that bonfire and Seath. I also didn't see any soul signs by the Four Kings but those guys were easy.

Also: I am giving up on the Channeler's Trident for now :(

EDIT
Alright, I'm finishing this game or I'm finishing this game. This week. No excuses.

Wish me luck. I'm going against the boss in the Crystal Caves right now.

Same here: I got so much done this week: O&S, New Londo + Four Kings, Painted World + Priscilla, Sif, Duke's Archives. The ending finally feels close.

sixghost

I think it would have been a cool touch if killing the blacksmiths and having their respective hammers allowed you to modify your equipment the same way they were able to.

Mxrz

Is it wrong to guess the nationality of your invader / phantom based on their equipment? What if you're usually right?

I want to dual shotels on my next character, just for the look of it. Maybe whips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom