• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

Anyone else gets the feeling that enemies seem to target your support characters (healer, marker, stunner, etc) more and more as you go up in levels while ignoring your tanky and DPS characters?
Vestals seem like goddamn magnets.

Kinda.
Rabid Gnashers do seem to absolutely hate my freshly recruited Plague Doctor. Like, all 4 focus fired the poor bastard in the same turn.

Haunted

As someone who played this a bit in early access but kinda bouncing off of it and now jumping into the final version to try again, the Collector suddenly showing up in an early mission was a pretty great moment.

What an eerie design.

kionedrik

In my apprentice missions my vestal and occultist would almost always come out with the most stress and 2 of them were my first deaths(and my only so far, iirc)

I noticed that stress attacks tend to focus your most stressed character and they tend to be the healers/supports since you don't get as many crits or kills to heal some residual stress. Maybe normal attacks use the same modifiers?? Who knows...

Code:
Reduced XP thresholds by 15% for levels 4,5 and 6

The newest hotfix, and this change in particular, will make the game significantly harder. The level 4 resolve change makes no sense and will force players to fight bosses more ill-equipped.
It might lower the "grind" needed to get new 5s or 6s in case you lose some but will punish those that are taking it slowly and even-leveling every character.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
err whoever said the way to kill
the hag
is to
ignore the pot
... well im glad that worked out for you, but I just tried that and its completely not working. already lost someone and I kinda feel like just pulling the plug (I dont even think that works in this game tho).

Horrible tactic, and im about to lose a squad of level 4s that was absolutely destroying this run. I know I know, its my fault for even trying it that way (on the
hag version 1 I focused the pot
)

edit: sorry I didnt mean to come off like a dick, just angry (lol). im sure that tactic has worked out for someone but it compeltely didnt for me. ended up killing her with A LOT of luck because of bleeds and because she stopped healing when everyone was at death's door, and I lucked out like 8 or 9 times on 2 of my guys not dying. I lost 2, I feel like if I had
focused the pot
it would have been much better tbh

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm so fucking done with the Occultist and his RNG heal bullshit. Just lost Dismas in week 34 due to RNGesus trolling the shit out of me.

I'm back on the Vestal train. At least I know she's guaranteed to get me off of Death's Door in clutch moments.

RIP homie, you will be missed

As someone who played this a bit in early access but kinda bouncing off of it and now jumping into the final version to try again, the Collector suddenly showing up in an early mission was a pretty great moment.

What an eerie design.
That's another thing I love about this game. Some of the monsters and bosses are just straight up horrifying and disgusting.

Every new level and every new dungeon you know there will be new horrors to discover.

DrArchon

Anyone else gets the feeling that enemies seem to target your support characters (healer, marker, stunner, etc) more and more as you go up in levels while ignoring your tanky and DPS characters?
Vestals seem like goddamn magnets.

I feel like enemies will focus on whichever character has the lowest HP at the moment, which usually means your support guy. But, I've seen them focus on DPS guys after they took damage from a trap or something and had lower HP than my supports.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Jesters are the worst class in the game imo, I hate them

Jestes work, but only in a team that's as flexible as they are. Everybody's got to have a movement+ skill, and be able to hit from at least 3 rows.

Mdk7

I used to agree with you, but now i'm kinda loving my Jester.
The double bleeding attack (the one that targets #2 and #3) is super useful, and the stress reduction ability is downright great.

BTW, i'm at week 43 and still MADLY in love with this game.

DrArchon

I'm always confused as to what I should use Jesters for. Are they best as dedicated supports with buffs and stress heal, bleeding, or using their weird re-positioning bullshit? As a support I'd rather have someone that can heal HP, for bleeding I'll just take a Houndmaster, and I don't want to re-position them around too much because they'll fuck up the rest of the team.

What are their best skills? Is Finale any good, because the animation is sick and I'd love to have a reason to use it more. Can I just stack DODGE on one and Solo/Stab->Finale over and over?

explodet

After a couple of misadventures - including one with two TPKs - I'm on a run with only one death - a level zero Arbalest that got focus fired and eaten by spiders. RIP.

This game rivals XCOM for punching in the face my notions of probability.

And my stagecoach keeps giving me Hellions - at least one 4 times in a row. Either the game is trying to tell me something or there's a Hellion College out there pumping them out.

Rhaknar

another full team wipe, this time on a long aprentice quest lol. it was a bunch of rank 0s to level them up, a random Collector appearance fucked me up

and now I have no gold. now what?

edit: oh guess Ill sell some of my guy's gear :(

On week 16. Impressive how the game makes it very clear that i've barely started to scratch its surface. Thought i'd be allowed some level of comfort by now. /lolnope

If someone told me that i'd be legit rotating between 12-15 characters i'd have laughed in their face.

Nothus

I'm always confused as to what I should use Jesters for. Are they best as dedicated supports with buffs and stress heal, bleeding, or using their weird re-positioning bullshit? As a support I'd rather have someone that can heal HP, for bleeding I'll just take a Houndmaster, and I don't want to re-position them around too much because they'll fuck up the rest of the team.

What are their best skills? Is Finale any good, because the animation is sick and I'd love to have a reason to use it more. Can I just stack DODGE on one and Solo/Stab->Finale over and over?

I tend to use my Jester for his buffs (which are very useful), his stress heals (again can be a lifesaver) and also his bleed attacks.
However I only really use him in parties with other characters who can self heal, or perhaps an occultist who can do a mix of damage and healing.
He's also good for pairing with the abomination if you don't have the trinkets that reduce his stress damage when he transforms.

DrArchon

I tend to use my Jester for his buffs (which are very useful), his stress heals (again can be a lifesaver) and also his bleed attacks.
However I only really use him in parties with other characters who can self heal, or perhaps an occultist who can do a mix of damage and healing.
He's also good for pairing with the abomination if you don't have the trinkets that reduce his stress damage when he transforms.

Yeah, I used a Jester with an Abomination before I got two Restraining Padlocks (for double the Abomination fun), but even then the stress heals mostly just seemed to delay the inevitable. I'd appreciate the Jester a lot more if he had someway to help prevent damage without throwing him to the front of the line with Solo. Jesters have great camping abilities though, I'll give them that.

I haven't seen how more stress he reduces with a max level song though, so maybe it's way better now that my guild is fully upgraded. Healing 10 at a time wasn't working at all when every cultist chanter and madman was causing 15+ stress every other turn.

Begaria

I really love the Jester class. Stackable +Speed/Accuracy/Crit (more crits means more stress heal and faster dead things), and stress heal means my guys are almost always low stress throughout the dungeon run and at the end of the dungeon run. Low/no stress at the end = no need to throw them in to for stress relief, which means even more cash in the pocket for removing diseases/negative quirks/reinforcing positive quirks.

Draft

I have had some success pairing jesters with highwaymen in dungeons that need a lot of blood. Jester in rank 3 with the paired and single target bleeds + the forward dash single target, and highwayman in rank 2 with bleed, tracking shot, and duelist's advance. They can slide back and forth to focus down single targets or apply heavy bleed to multiple targets. Jester feels like something is still missing, though.

Out of curiosity (and because rngesus hasnt blessed me with another one), if i have two aboms in the team and one morphs, does the other abom receive stress damage?

DrArchon

Out of curiosity (and because rngesus hasnt blessed me with another one), if i have two aboms in the team and one morphs, does the other abom receive stress damage?

Yes. Abominations will stress out other Abominations, but it's not really a problem because of the built in stress relief.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, but I guess it's just a balance thing.

gryvan

the hag
is to
ignore the pot
... well im glad that worked out for you, but I just tried that and its completely not working. already lost someone and I kinda feel like just pulling the plug (I dont even think that works in this game tho).

Horrible tactic, and im about to lose a squad of level 4s that was absolutely destroying this run. I know I know, its my fault for even trying it that way (on the
)

edit: sorry I didnt mean to come off like a dick, just angry (lol). im sure that tactic has worked out for someone but it compeltely didnt for me. ended up killing her with A LOT of luck because of bleeds and because she stopped healing when everyone was at death's door, and I lucked out like 8 or 9 times on 2 of my guys not dying. I lost 2, I feel like if I had
focused the pot

one of my better strategy against the hag was get the hellion that will constantly attack the pot. The hellion can also attack the back side with ridiculous damage (swan dance i think) get a plague doctor to dot blight, a houndmaster to dot bleed, and either
a) abomination to switch between forms to focus the pot or hit the hag
b) crusader to hit the pot or heal party if needed

Mdk7

Yes. Abominations will stress out other Abominations, but it's not really a problem because of the built in stress relief.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, but I guess it's just a balance thing.
Abomination is truly the one and only class i never use, mainly because the religious guys hate him and i usually have a vestal or a leper or a crusader around.
Any advice on how to use him efficiently?

Mdk7

the hag
is to
ignore the pot

)

focused the pot
I had no problems using a team with
Man at Arms
Houndmaster
Grave Digger
Vestal

All these classes can hit both the first two and the second two rows (giving you the chance to focus on the right target depending on the situation), three of them are pretty heavy hitters (letting you escape from the pot quickly) and the fourth one is perfect to keep everyone alive.
Plus both the grave digger and the houndmaster cause blight/bleed, so even a better way to shorten the fight.

Give it a go, i really smashed that bitch.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yeah I never rn Abominations. Outside of front row Blight attacks, what can they do that Hellions can't?

Can an Abom run two Restraining Padlacks?

Haven't played since before the official release (~7 hours total, bought in the Steam Sale).

How's the final end-game dungeon? Need to get back to it, but XCOM is coming out this week o.o

And of course games like these are good whenever.

kionedrik

Yeah I never rn Abominations. Outside of front row Blight attacks, what can they do that Hellions can't?

Can an Abom run two Restraining Padlacks?

Human form has a heal, a single target stun that can hit 3 positions and an AoE blight that only loses to PD bombs damage-wise.
Beast form as an AoE hit that scales 3x, a very powerful nuke and a knock back stun.

I love Helions but they don't have as much versatility or utility. That's why I tend to use them both together, she in front and him right behind.

I don't think you can equip repeated items.

DrArchon

Abomination is truly the one and only class i never use, mainly because the religious guys hate him and i usually have a vestal or a leper or a crusader around.

Even though you can't run Vestal, Crusader, or Leper with an Abomination, you can fine plenty of units that fill the same roles almost as well (or better imo). I generally use an Abom in position 2 so that I can abuse his stun and blight and not feel obligated to go beast mode every single fight. Really helps with stress. The self heal from absolution and transforming back to human mode means you don't need to heal the Abom that much, so you can run normally less effective healers, like Arbalests and Occultists. Jesters also help, as do Houndmasters, though their stress heal is RNG based. Any one with good stress healing camping skills helps too, like Grave Robbers.

There's a ton of great Abom-only trinkets too. -25% stress to everyone when transforming is a key one, and you can also get ones to boost blight/stun chance and +atk/spd. Depends on what you get though.

When I run double Abom, I have both of them with Restraining Padlocks (-stress) and I switch them around between spots 1 and 2 every couple of fights so I don't have one that's always transforming and stressing himself out. Then when I get into trouble with tough enemies I have them both go into beast mode and watch as they tear dudes apart.

Haunted

That's another thing I love about this game. Some of the monsters and bosses are just straight up horrifying and disgusting.

Every new level and every new dungeon you know there will be new horrors to discover.
The corpse art, particularly for human enemies is damn macabre.

Yeah, i was... fooling around with the abom and it seems that the character's balance is mostly achieved by stress + hamstringing what other classes you can bring along, since aboms are just so absurdly versatile.

then you go online and see a (relatively simple) strat to get an abom to noncrit 70+ damage.

Rhaknar

welp all my guys are lvl 3-4, guess I have to do veteran quests now ;_;

here come more wipes :(

DrArchon

welp all my guys are lvl 3-4, guess I have to do veteran quests now ;_;

here come more wipes :(

Are you upgrading your armor/weapons/skills? As long as you get those up to level 3-4 you shouldn't be seeing too many wipes unless you're really unlucky.

Rhaknar

Are you upgrading your armor/weapons/skills? As long as you get those up to level 3-4 you shouldn't be seeing too many wipes unless you're really unlucky.

trying to but shit gets so expesnive :(

going for Necromancer ver.2 now with 4 Rank 4s, see what happens

edit: got him. The dungeon itelf was easy but the fight was actually kinda hairy. so much stress damage :( didnt lose anyone tho, but all 4 needed some serious stress treatment after haha

kionedrik

My typical champion quests tend to go like this:
My guys: Miss, Miss, Hit, Miss, Crit, Miss, Hit, Miss, Hit, Hit, Miss
Enemies: Crit, Crit, Hit, Hit, Crit, Hit, Hit, Crit, Miss, Hit, Crit

I never called bullshit on what was thrown at me till now. At full light I'm getting hit for almost half my hp and I barely manage to hit them with fully upgraded weapons and skills. In the last dungeon I had a Leper that was critted 3x in a row for 50+ damage every time. How the hell can you deal with something like that.

On a happy note all the veteran bosses are down and I'm not looking forward for the champion ones.

Rhaknar

just did a long veteran quest, right out the entrance

fkoyLf6.jpg

lol. Dnngeon itself was easy. Starting to get some rank 5s now, but Im not going in champion stuff anytime soon. The town upgrades are almost all done at least.

I never called bullshit on what was thrown at me till now. At full light I'm getting hit for almost half my hp and I barely manage to hit them with fully upgraded weapons and skills. In the last dungeon I had a Leper that was critted 3x in a row for 50+ damage every time. How the hell can you deal with something like that.

On a happy note all the veteran bosses are down and I'm not looking forward for the champion ones.

stuff like this makes me wonder if Ill ever finish the game tbh

Szadek

Haven't played since before the official release (~7 hours total, bought in the Steam Sale).

How's the final end-game dungeon? Need to get back to it, but XCOM is coming out this week o.o

And of course games like these are good whenever.
The last levels are really good, but also really hard and you will need tons of level 6 heroes.
It's best to take it slowly and great a huge rooster of strong party members. You will certianly need them.

You are going to love the Darkest Dungeon.

Went and had a look at the darkest dungeon in the wiki.

Read the bit about what happens when any party manages to clear a quest there.

...huh.

that is the most brilliant/dickish mechanic i've ever seen.

Enemy crits seem to happen fairly often. I turned their player scaling crits off, so they just do the max amount of damage they can instead of practically one-shotting people. Still hurts, way easier to come back from. It made it a lot more enjoyable for me and it's still really challenging regardless. Think there is a little too much RNG, honestly.

Nothus

...huh.

Well damn, now you've got me intrigued. Must resist the urge to read the wiki! I don't want it spoiled for myself.

I have some level 6 guys ready to go but I'm scared to try the dungeon in case they die :(

Erudite

It's great to see the diversity of opinions on the worst class in this game. I saw a lot of Grave Robber hate early in this thread, but I've managed to have successful runs with her without much issue.

Jester has been great for me since he has such reliable stress healing in my Abomination party.

My party and order for Abomination goes
Occultist | Jester | Abomination | Man-At-Arms

Works well since the Abomination can take care of himself hp/stress wise, Man-At-Arms can stay alive for a long time, Jester has a high dodge and I have a trinket that reduces chance to cause bleed for my Occultist, and his RNG for healing hasn't screwed me over (yet).

Granted this party just hit level 5, dunno how viable they're going to be now considering how hard enemies hit in Champion dungeons.

...huh.

Link? I just read the description of the Darkest Dungeon, and other than
being a real downer ending (in proper Lovecraftian fashion)
, I didn't notice anything terribly unusual about it.

EDIT: Oh, you meant the thing with surviving party members after any quest.

Yeah, that's a fun twist.

It's just utterly brilliant. How do you enforce through mechanics the narrative significance of the place? There you go! And once you, as the commander, know what that entails,
you're still going to send troops there. Troops that will go in blind and IF they survive, will exit the place knowing FULL WELL that they were lucky as fuck and will absolutely refuse to ever set foot in the place again, and Sir Fuck You Sir if you try to send them there again.

it truly doesn't get more lovecraftian than that, outside of
acquiring a Suicidal quirk that would make someone refuse to go anywhere else but there.

Although the leper's narrative would kinda support
continued trips.

It's just utterly brilliant. How do you enforce through mechanics the narrative significance of the place? There you go! And once you, as the commander, know what that entails,
you're still going to send troops there. Troops that will go in blind and IF they survive, will exit the place knowing FULL WELL that they were lucky as fuck and will absolutely refuse to ever set foot in the place again, and Sir Fuck You Sir if you try to send them there again.

it truly doesn't get more lovecraftian than that, outside of
acquiring a Suicidal quirk that would make someone refuse to go anywhere else but there.

Although the leper's narrative would kinda support
continued trips.

That + the whole
no retreating without sacrificing someone
thing makes that last dungeon some next-level shit, IMO. Makes it unique, above and beyond final dungeons in other games, which are generally "like before, but harder."

Even though you can't run Vestal, Crusader, or Leper with an Abomination, you can fine plenty of units that fill the same roles almost as well (or better imo). I generally use an Abom in position 2 so that I can abuse his stun and blight and not feel obligated to go beast mode every single fight. Really helps with stress. The self heal from absolution and transforming back to human mode means you don't need to heal the Abom that much, so you can run normally less effective healers, like Arbalests and Occultists. Jesters also help, as do Houndmasters, though their stress heal is RNG based. Any one with good stress healing camping skills helps too, like Grave Robbers.

There's a ton of great Abom-only trinkets too. -25% stress to everyone when transforming is a key one, and you can also get ones to boost blight/stun chance and +atk/spd. Depends on what you get though.

When I run double Abom, I have both of them with Restraining Padlocks (-stress) and I switch them around between spots 1 and 2 every couple of fights so I don't have one that's always transforming and stressing himself out. Then when I get into trouble with tough enemies I have them both go into beast mode and watch as they tear dudes apart.

Aboms are about the most self-sufficient class out there. The stun and puke alone is fine for most trash and then I can unleash the kraken on the boss with a low-stress (hopefully...) party.

well... my MaA was just one-shotted from full (66 hp) to deaths door.

I'm ok with RNG but there's a limit.

Yeah, RH's balancing always has this wierd lean to it to drift towards low ceiling then back off to a smarter goal once they appear desperate.

Top Bottom