• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

I need to re-buy this for the PS4 eventually. Got it just shy of it being out of Early Access on Steam, probably one of the coolest concepts of a rogue like game I have seen yet. The art style is great and I love ancestor guy who tells me how horrible everything is.
I love his voice

You get ambushed, hit with a confusion attack, the back row gets dragged forward, or run into the Shambler, and the Lepers get moved to the 3rd and 4th position. GG.

I did say "early game"...

Haha exactly what i thought when i read that line up. Maybe for level 0 missions but beyond that HELLS NO

...and currently doing lvl 1 and 3 missions (with torches!) without any problem.

I'm sure the shuffling attacks will be much more of a factor at higher levels (or dark runs) so I'm all ears for great compositions : )

CloudWolf

To make some dough:
>>Antiquarian / Highwayman / Vestal or occultist / Houndmaster or plague doctor

Antiquarian casts protect me on Highwayman. Highwayman enters riposte. Awesome combo. Antiquarian also works well with man-at-arms (because riposte).
To make some real money, just do a 4x Antiquarian run. It's not that hard and a succesful medium run easily nets you around 40-50k since the Antiquarian money bonus stacks.

Nikodemos

Isn't a shambler encounter around 40% chance on a dark run after the latest patches? A rather high risk of having your entire party exterminated.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I've been thinking about what the best overall party in the game could be.

Occulist/Grave Robber/Bounty Hunter/Hellion is definitely one I'd put in the running, for most versatile.

Bounty Hunter, Hellion, Grave Robber, Highwayman, Man at Arms, Houndmaster, Jetser, Plague Doctor, Arbalest, Occulist, Vestal can all hit her.

What the heck was your party, 4 Lepers and Crusaders?

One highwayman, one vestal, one leper and a crusader.

Vestal was busy healing, highway man got put into the pot, other two couldn't attack. Couldn't do anything on more than three quarters of my turns. I didn't think my team comp was stupid either. It was very effective up to that point.

I don't normally take a leper and a crusader but my other party members were relaxing and such. :)

CazTGG

PS4/Vita Patch up

Patch notes http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-update-ps4-1-05-vita-1-04/

Mostly bug and crash fixes, Devs want more feedback on UI and control improvements

Excellent, much as i'm enjoying the game i'm not exactly pleased to have the game crash when the secret room i'm in gives me 3 super rare items only for the game to crash in a later battle within the same dungeon. That was infuriating since it gave a really useful piece for my vestal that I don't know if or when I might see it again.

Chance

If a character dies, do you lose the trinkets etc equipped on them?

Depends. If they die with a team wipe, you lose everything including trinkets. If one hero wins or flees after the others die, the trinkets the deceased heroes had equipped will appear as loot - you can get 'em back if you have (or make) room in your inventory.

lawnchair

Banned
To make some real money, just do a 4x Antiquarian run. It's not that hard and a succesful medium run easily nets you around 40-50k since the Antiquarian money bonus stacks.

i've got quite a lot of time on the game (70ish hours) and strategies like this haven't even occurred to me. even if i wanted to have a 4x antiquarian team now .. eh. i've probably got 3 on my roster and they're all different levels. it'd be a pain to get the team assembled. not sure if i'm gonna go back to this game tbh.

Snowballo

A few questions:

1. Is there a way to increase the slots you have to store items in the dungeon? Right now I'm often obliged to drop stuff in order to make space

2. My next mission is to kill the Necromancer. Where do I find him? In which location I mean (ruins,...)? It seems that I have objectives in all location but non of them refers to the Necromancer.

Thanks.

zoukka

A few questions:

1. Is there a way to increase the slots you have to store items in the dungeon? Right now I'm often obliged to drop stuff in order to make space

2. My next mission is to kill the Necromancer. Where do I find him? In which location I mean (ruins,...)? It seems that I have objectives in all location but non of them refers to the Necromancer.

Thanks.

You can't get more item slots no.

Boss fights have a skull icon in the level selection and should have a description text for the boss. If it's not available yet, then play Ruins a bunch of times and the boss level will appear.

CloudWolf

1. Is there a way to increase the slots you have to store items in the dungeon? Right now I'm often obliged to drop stuff in order to make space.
You can't get more slots, but you can carry more stuff if you take at least one Antiquarian with you on an expedition. You also find unique loot with her. The more Antiquarians you take, the more extra loot you can carry.

Snowballo

You can't get more item slots no.

Boss fights have a skull icon in the level selection and should have a description text for the boss. If it's not available yet, then play Ruins a bunch of times and the boss level will appear.

Thanks to you and to CloudWolf for the answers.

Is it so bad?
I'm playing it on PC and I'm so tempted to buy it on Vita, but I've heard that the UI on PS4 is pretty bad and on Ps Vita even worst :(
I'm playing on ps4, so no idea how the vita fares. Once you figure out its quirks it isn't hard to control, but it is really obtuse that first time you try to figure out how to equip trinkets or flip through your roster in various places.

danowat

Banned
Is it so bad?
I'm playing it on PC and I'm so tempted to buy it on Vita, but I've heard that the UI on PS4 is pretty bad and on Ps Vita even worst :(

It's a bit of a nightmare on Vita, the way the rear touchpad(s) work on certain screens is mindbogglingly awful.

Still,Darkest Dungeon on vita it made a cracking distraction in a recent 3hr flight, despite the UI issues.

CaptNink

Is it so bad?

I thought it was pretty crappy at first, but once you get used to it, it's not too bad.

The worst part I find is the mission select screen.

kmfdmpig

Are there any games similar on PC except without the diseases and afflictions?

Something where you run dungeons with a group, level up your town, etc...?

I like the concept, but the afflictions and diseases, which I know are central to this game and are what make it unique, frustrate me and I'd prefer to have characters I could build and sustain rather than disposable ones.

Is it so bad?

It's bad.

You get used to it.

It's very shoulder-buttony but people saying that it's not so bad? It's madness. It's a meta-boss battle in the game.

I'm playing on ps4, so no idea how the vita fares. Once you figure out its quirks it isn't hard to control, but it is really obtuse that first time you try to figure out how to equip trinkets or flip through your roster in various places.

Indeed, it's bad until you figure it out.

Issue I have is that I'm unlikely to want to go back to the game after some time away, because it means 'figuring it out' all over again. I haven't been on it in a week and I scroll over the game thinking 'probably not, can't be bothered to figure out the menus again'.

Once you're playing it and you get to grips with everything it functions fine. It becomes quite natural, but the issue is getting to that point can be fiddly, and frustrating, and if you're on and off the game for long periods of time that isn't necessarily a one-time issue unfortunately.

K.Jack

]blacky[;221755347 said:
GAF, when I am in the town, the four small icons in the upper right corner, what do they mean?
If it's the same ones from PC:

Sort By Level
Sort By Stress
Sort By Class
Sort by Activity

Varth

If it's the same ones from PC:

Sort By Level
Sort By Stress
Sort By Class
Sort by Activity

Too bad filters dont list anything properly on PS4.
Example: filter by level and you will get the 4 guys on the current team, whatever the level, and the the rest in order. Other filters did even crazier tgings for me.

About the UI: can confirm you get used to it sooner or later, but still it's awful. You cant even scroll the soon-to-be-dead list all the way down After 11-12 units or so.

Still, loving the game, but If you dont start thinking of the team as totally disposable you cant even start playing seriously.

Dunkelgrau

Yeah, UI is pretty much a catastrophe. I hope the game is worth the afford though.

A few questions:

1. Is it possible to use skills while you are not in a fight?
2. Is it possible to choose the character who starts with the first skill at the beginning of a fight?
3. When I am in the town, I don't have the ability to earn money, besides going on quest and sell accessories, right?

]blacky[;222019063 said:
Yeah, UI is pretty much a catastrophe. I hope the game is worth the afford though.

A few questions:

1. Is it possible to use skills while you are not in a fight?
2. Is it possible to choose the character who starts with the first skill at the beginning of a fight?
3. When I am in the town, I don't have the ability to earn money, besides going on quest and sell accessories, right?

1. No.
2. Not really. You can put on Speed Items, but it's all pretty random because of the nature of the game (Torchlight, enemy fear, etc.)
3. Yes.

Dunkelgrau

In the screen, where you choose the next quest:

What does happen here? Will a specific quest disappear, when I played it often enough? What does the progress-bar there mean?

]blacky[;222773855 said:
In the screen, where you choose the next quest:

What does happen here? Will a specific quest disappear, when I played it often enough? What does the progress-bar there mean?

Quests other than boss quests can get rotated for other ones. The progress bar is for bosses which have 3 different difficulties per boss. Easy, Normal, and Hard, the progress bar is a meter for when you can do a boss in a certain zone.

To get to the Darkest Dungeon you must defeat each boss three times before you can access it.

Dunkelgrau

Quests other than boss quests can get rotated for other ones. The progress bar is for bosses which have 3 different difficulties per boss. Easy, Normal, and Hard, the progress bar is a meter for when you can do a boss in a certain zone.
I don't understand it completely, but I think I will find out. :)

When is the right time to fight a boss? I heard, that you have to upgrade your weapons and armour before doing that. On the other hand I heard, that you should not invest in those things before you don't have 60.000 bucks. Also I heard, that you don't should heal your party, until they are level 3. But when I always dismiss them, when they are stressed, how could they even reach higher levels?

CaptNink

]blacky[;222822867 said:
I don't understand it completely, but I think I will find out. :)

When is the right time to fight a boss? I heard, that you have to upgrade your weapons and armour before doing that. On the other hand I heard, that you should not invest in those things before you don't have 60.000 bucks. Also I heard, that you don't should heal your party, until they are level 3. But when I always dismiss them, when they are stressed, how could they even reach higher levels?

Yeah, I've heard that too, but I don't know if I totally agree with it. I'm early in the game, but what I've been doing is "grooming" a handful of heroes that I like and healing them, removing quirks, and outfitting them with good stuff. They are my A-Team that I plan on sending to fight bosses.

The rest are just fodder that I send on loot runs. Once they go batshit insane, I send them down the road.

I'm thinking that once you upgrade the Stagecoach enough, you can rely on it generating higher level heroes for you so you don't have to worry about the grooming process in the later game.

However, I could be completely wrong about all of this. :D

Bizzquik

Xbox One release, please.
sad_xbox.png

CaptNink

So I just spent a good chunk of my lunch break deciding on my hero lineup to take on the Sonorous Prophet. Got them ready to go, agonized over equipping them with the right trinkets, debated on the amount of food, meds, band-aids, and holy water I should take. Got all pumped up and hit EMBARK.

Took three steps in the dungeon and realized I forgot to buy torches. Whoops!

Dunkelgrau

How can I enable the experienced recruits perk at the stage coach? The UI says:

Requires:
Instructor Master 2
Weaponsmithing 2
Armorsmithing 2

- but I believe, that I have all of those requirements. Those are just the first perks respectively, right?

ArjanN

]blacky[;222997923 said:

Requires:
Instructor Master 2
Weaponsmithing 2
Armorsmithing 2

- but I believe, that I have all of those requirements. Those are just the first perks respectively, right?

I'm a bit foggy on this, but I vaguely remember it requires you to one step further along in those upgrades than you might assume at first.

K.Jack

So I just spent a good chunk of my lunch break deciding on my hero lineup to take on the Sonorous Prophet. Got them ready to go, agonized over equipping them with the right trinkets, debated on the amount of food, meds, band-aids, and holy water I should take. Got all pumped up and hit EMBARK.

Took three steps in the dungeon and realized I forgot to buy torches. Whoops!
Been there, except I forgot the fricking food. Now before every run, before hitting 'Embark' I always say to check with myself, "Food, shovels, torches..."

You might as well just try to make a bee line to the boss room, then use your camp in the proceeding room for max light. Or at least clear enough fights to pay off the provisions you bought.

What party did you decide on, btw?

]blacky[;222997923 said:

Requires:
Instructor Master 2
Weaponsmithing 2
Armorsmithing 2

It means 2 upgrades per.

You also shouldn't buy those recruit upgrades for quite some time, not until mid-game when most of your people are level 3+.

This game OOZES style, really enjoy it.

But boy, the control scheme on vita is SO unintuitive. It's really wonky. I get it, it's tricky because there are a ton of things to click on/check on, but there has to be a better way, right?

Took me forever to figure out how to get my inventory pulled up during a recent run (it's only my second).

REGARDLESS OF CONTROLS, this game is fantastic so far.

Dunkelgrau

Extremely addictive game. Maybe one of my future all-time-favorites. After 20 (?) hours in, I have to say, that the UI is not as bad as I thought at the beginning. But it far from perfect, though.

Yesterday I tried to go for the first boss (after all those hours, OMG ...). But have to interrupt that quest, because I ran out of food.

Anyway. 10/10.

K.Jack

I decided on using Crusader>Bounty Hunter>Plague Doctor>Vestal. All are level 2, except Crusader who's level 3. However, I'm not entirely sure that's the best lineup.

That's honestly a terrible party for the Prophet. Reason being, with that comp you'll be forced to tear down the pews, before you can start getting any real damage on him. Meanwhile he'll be Rubble bombing the utter shit out of your team, against which you have no counters. I doubt they'd survive.

My plan is strategy is two part. First phase, is to debuff his damage to the point you can ignore it. Thus enters the Occulist, with his Weakening Curse. The other part, is to bring a Man-at-Arms, so he can guard at least one person getting the rocks, until you the Prophet i stacked with debuffs.

If I'm going straight after the Prophet, ignoring the pews for the most part, I take: Occulist/Grave Robber/Highwayman/Man-at-Arms.

If going after the pews, something like: Occulist/Bounty Hunter//MaA/Hellion

CaptNink

That's honestly a terrible party for the Prophet. Reason being, with that comp you'll be forced to tear down the pews, before you can start getting any real damage on him. Meanwhile he'll be Rubble bombing the utter shit out of your team, against which you have no counters. I doubt they'd survive.

My plan is strategy is two part. First phase, is to debuff his damage to the point you can ignore it. Thus enters the Occulist, with his Weakening Curse. The other part, is to bring a Man-at-Arms, so he can guard at least one person getting the rocks, until you the Prophet i stacked with debuffs.

If I'm going straight after the Prophet, ignoring the pews for the most part, I take: Occulist/Grave Robber/Highwayman/Man-at-Arms.

If going after the pews, something like: Occulist/Bounty Hunter//MaA/Hellion

Wow - thanks for the help! I'll give your strategy a try!

K.Jack

has anybody tried the man-at-arms in position 4? is it viable? who else do you run with it? etc

I can see it working against the Vvulf and Prophet, as he is only guarding each turn anyway, but I don't see the utility of it, in the common room battles.

Sitting in the back spamming Bolster can only go so far.

CaptNink

I killed the Sonorous Prophet yesterday. Rolled with Occultist>Plague Doctor>Bounty Hunter>Hellion.

The Occulist was the first to get killed, and it happened early. The Bounty Hunter was probably a waste -- Man-at-Arms would have been better, but I didn't have one ready. Hellion was great cuz I kept Iron Swanning the dude while my Dr bombarded him with Plague bombs.

K.Jack

I killed the Sonorous Prophet yesterday. Rolled with Occultist>Plague Doctor>Bounty Hunter>Hellion.

The Occulist was the first to get killed, and it happened early. The Bounty Hunter was probably a waste -- Man-at-Arms would have been better, but I didn't have one ready. Hellion was great cuz I kept Iron Swanning the dude while my Dr bombarded him with Plague bombs.

You can also try a Houndmaster. With his guard, eventually his dodge gets so high the rubble misses every time.

bati

New player here - can someone tell me if it's better to go full torch or no torch early in the game? I tried both and I think I prefer the latter because it seems the game is rather grindy otherwise.

lawnchair

Banned
New player here - can someone tell me if it's better to go full torch or no torch early in the game? I tried both and I think I prefer the latter because it seems the game is rather grindy otherwise.

i've always been too afraid to go 'no torch'. full torch at all times. i guess it makes sense if you have a bunch of items that give you stat bonus at under 25 light? there's probably some other reason which i don't understand (like so much of this game lolll).

Top Bottom