• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

CaptNink

i've always been too afraid to go 'no torch'. full torch at all times. i guess it makes sense if you have a bunch of items that give you stat bonus at under 25 light? there's probably some other reason which i don't understand (like so much of this game lolll).

The lower your torch, the more loot you can get. More risk, more reward.

I only go no torch for treasure runs with a bunch of scrubs and an Antiquarian.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I've been doing no torch Vet and Champ runs lately.

I feel like I understand the mechanics so deeply, that I've broken the Matrix.

Didn't this get an update with some additional content recently?

Do the PC and PS4 versions have content parity?

Yes, the "Town Events" update is included in the PS4 port. There's complete parity as of right now.

New player here - can someone tell me if it's better to go full torch or no torch early in the game? I tried both and I think I prefer the latter because it seems the game is rather grindy otherwise.

Feed your early heroes to the meat grinder, no torch runs build up the bank quickly.

Opa-Pa

Started this a couple of days ago and so far I'm loving it. I was curious because I liked the aesthetics, and the premise of a turn based, relentless roguelike with stress mechanics sounded great, and man does it deliver.

I've been playing on Vita and PS4 and yup, UI is a mess, but it's manageable after a while.

Just killed my first boss and it feels so satisfying. Making a party with good synergy and being able to get through most mobs without issues is the best.

K.Jack

After hundreds of hours of dungeon crawling, I've decided the best overall party is Occ/Highwayman/Grave Robber/Bounty Hunter.

The BH being able to use his strongest attacks, even when shuffled to the 3rd position, is overpowered.

I really need to get back into this at some point. Maybe now over winter break, but I'm sure I'll be swamped with other games to play. Think the last time I booted it up was shortly before the full release.

was thinking this game was dogshit because of posts I've read in the past but almost every post on the last page is positive. Should I pick this up today while its still on PSN/sale?

Opa-Pa

was thinking this game was dogshit because of posts I've read in the past but almost every post on the last page is positive. Should I pick this up today while its still on PSN/sale?

Do it. Seriously, the only thing I dislike about it is how the UI works on consoles, but you get used to it and if you like good turn based combat, and games with dark atmosphere and interesting narratives, this is a must.

Fantastic game.

So this game is great so far, but I cannot get the cross-save feature to work. I'm trying to download my Vita save to my PS4 and I keep getting a generic error msg every time.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Opa-Pa

So this game is great so far, but I cannot get the cross-save feature to work. I'm trying to download my Vita save to my PS4 and I keep getting a generic error msg every time.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I've been using this everyday and tried it again just now on both systems and nope, no errors. Did you make sure your PS4 version is up to date?

I've been using this everyday and tried it again just now on both systems and nope, no errors. Did you make sure your PS4 version is up to date?

I've tried it twice today and both times I get the message "an error has occurred NP-31865-3". Nothing comes up on the Sony forums when I look for that error code. My PS4 Pro and Vita are both on the latest updates and I can upload and download the saves from my Vita to the cloud with no problem.

lawnchair

Banned
also (in case you didn't know) you need to have the traps scouted before they can be disarmed. if they're not showing up on the map you can't disarm them. use torches to increase your scouting.

K.Jack

Yeah you may also want to bring at least one +Scouting trinket if traps are troubling you.

Early in the game, heroes with scouting quirks are literally worth gold.

Started playing this last night on the Vita, and maybe I'm being really dumb but after the first training section I can't work out how to go into a subsequent quest. I find the UI so unintuitive that I'm not really sure what to do. Can anyone help please?

Nheco

Started playing this last night on the Vita, and maybe I'm being really dumb but after the first training section I can't work out how to go into a subsequent quest. I find the UI so unintuitive that I'm not really sure what to do. Can anyone help please?

Start a new game and pay attention to the tutorial. Also, after the tutorial, play it for a while, this will help to memorize the UI and controls. And yes, they suck.

But the game is so good that I go trough it. My personal goty.

Swig_

Is there a way to get Borderless Windowed mode to work? If I try to leave the window, it minimizes to the taskbar. I just want it up, but be able to move to another screen for web browsing, etc.

Swig_

I think I'm doing something wrong.

I've tried to get into this game a couple of times. Every time, I do a dungeon or two which goes fine, and then the third or fourth just rips me apart. Literally everything bad that can happen (crits from enemies, stress (I guess, I'm still trying to learn the mechanics of the game) cause my guys to have heart attacks, I get turns skipped because of stress or other factors, I get constantly crit by enemies and am lucky to see a positive crit or two) happens to my party. I just ran a dungeon and each of my four characters had a heart attack and died in the middle of the dungeon, just after camping. One of them was brand new, first dungeon. I can't clear any quests because I get destroyed before I get close. Now I'm stuck with no healers (the ONE that I had just died), so I don't even know how to quest anymore, since I can't heal anyone outside of food. It feels like the key that I'm missing is finding ways to keep my party alive or unstressed, but I don't see how to do that. The one healer I had can't keep up with the damage that is put out by enemies. Even after camping and healing/de-stressing as much as I can, I got destroyed in one battle. I don't understand how you can keep up. I keep my torches lit as much as I can, so these should be easy to medium difficulty battles.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this game Demons Souls level of "fuck you" in a game? I'm tempted to apply for a refund because I can't enjoy a game that destroys me every time I even try.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated, as I'm at my wits end and I don't know how to enjoy this game.

Hard to say, there could be many things you are doing wrong. I would suggest getting a Man-at-arms and letting him alternate between Defender and Retribution.

K.Jack

I think I'm doing something wrong.

I've tried to get into this game a couple of times. Every time, I do a dungeon or two which goes fine, and then the third or fourth just rips me apart. Literally everything bad that can happen (crits from enemies, stress (I guess, I'm still trying to learn the mechanics of the game) cause my guys to have heart attacks, I get turns skipped because of stress or other factors, I get constantly crit by enemies and am lucky to see a positive crit or two) happens to my party. I just ran a dungeon and each of my four characters had a heart attack and died in the middle of the dungeon, just after camping. One of them was brand new, first dungeon. I can't clear any quests because I get destroyed before I get close. Now I'm stuck with no healers (the ONE that I had just died), so I don't even know how to quest anymore, since I can't heal anyone outside of food. It feels like the key that I'm missing is finding ways to keep my party alive or unstressed, but I don't see how to do that. The one healer I had can't keep up with the damage that is put out by enemies. Even after camping and healing/de-stressing as much as I can, I got destroyed in one battle. I don't understand how you can keep up. I keep my torches lit as much as I can, so these should be easy to medium difficulty battles.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this game Demons Souls level of "fuck you" in a game? I'm tempted to apply for a refund because I can't enjoy a game that destroys me every time I even try.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated, as I'm at my wits end and I don't know how to enjoy this game.
Step one of successful dungeon runs, is good party composition.

With what parties have you been failing?

If your only healer is dead, it's time to start over.

Opa-Pa

There's plenty of things you can be doing wrong, at the beginning of the game I feel there's a bit of luck involved too, not to mention you're probably not familiar with the best party choices yet and need to experiment.

Personally I cleared like 4 quests in a row at first, and then failed like 5 in a row... It was pretty demoralizing, but in each failed run I learned stuff about classes I hadn't tried before and suddenly I haven't failed a single quest since.

Your characters are far more weak against stress at lower levels too, I remember I used to have at least two characters go crazy every run, but now I've completed plenty without casualties.

Swig_

It was early enough that my group was mostly what I started with.

Reynaud - Forget his class, tanky paladin type.
A highwayman, I think, who I started with.
A Plague Doctor
A Healer

I would compose them in that order, front to back, so the tanky guy in the front with the healer in the back.

In the last dungeon before I got wrecked, I substituted the highwayman for a hound master who I had just picked up. Before the last dungeon, I checked stress levels, most were around 100/200, and I think the new guy had none (since he was new). I also camped and healed/destressed before the fight that took me out and killed every character.

I'm wondering if I need to find a tutorial on Youtube about how to get started that runs through a few dungeons. Maybe I'm missing a key piece.

Should I be able to finish the quests this early, or do I need to go through the dungeons and leave early to gain experience and upgrades?

Lynx_7

I finally got Darkest Dungeon on the christmas sale
(I shouldn't have considering my shoestring budget, but I regret nothing)
and I gotta say this game is really addictive.

Maybe I'm just lucky or a turn-based god but so far I've only had to retreat twice due to unexpected encounters. First one was
the Collector
against one of my "B-class" teams which I managed to beat but couldn't finish the mission without compromising my whole party. Second one was also with a B-team, I offered a torch to a certain object and... things got a little crazy lol
I've beaten 3 bosses
(witch, necromancer apprentice, a cannon)
and lost one member so far. I'm terrible at saving money, I always waste most of it and then go pretty much broke to every single mission, so I should probably stop doing that.

I just wish the dungeons weren't so simple and there was more variety. I understand they're randomly generated and there's only so much you can do with them, but I think having some unique mechanics/interactable objects to differentiate each of the four areas would help(and I don't mean just "you'll get sick more often here"). Maybe even have a few handcrafted dungeons for some bosses, I dunno.
I also wish there was a little more customizability, though I like streamlined approaches too so that's not really an issue for me.

I can see the game getting a bit too repetitive somewhere down the line, but so far I'm having a blast, top 5 of the year for me. Some of those trophies sound pretty ridiculous though. Have someone survive five attacks in a row while in Death's Door? Come on. lol

Opa-Pa

So you started the quest while your characters had 100+ stress? Well there's a problem, normally you want to both recruit new characters after every mission and treat the ones you've been using if they have, say, 30+ stress, otherwise they'll always go nuts during quests at 100 and have a heart attack at 200.

You should also stick to short quests for the time being. You can check how long they are next to their names.

I don't blame you for feeling lost, though, the game definitely takes time to master. I felt pretty hopeless at the beginning but I'm doing pretty well now.

Swig_

So you started the quest while your characters had 100+ stress? Well there's a problem, normally you want to both recruit new characters after every mission and treat the ones you've been using if they have, say, 30+ stress, otherwise they'll always go nuts during quests at 100 and have a heart attack at 200.

You should also stick to short quests for the time being. You can check how long they are next to their names.

I don't blame you for feeling lost, though, the game definitely takes time to master. I felt pretty hopeless at the beginning but I'm doing pretty well now.

Good to know. I noticed that they had about 25 stress after a dungeon, so I thought they could handle another. I still only had one healer. I wonder if that was just bad RNG luck with the new characters that show up in the wagon.

Any tips on what to upgrade in town first? Just got this game today, only played through about 3 dungeons (two went well, third half my party died and I just retreated).

Opa-Pa

Yeah, definitely the stage coach. Not only it increases your roster and the number of characters that show up between missions, but you can even upgrade to make it possible for higher level characters to show up every now and then.

K.Jack

You of course have to constantly keep the Hero Barracks expanding, but early on I wouldn't upgrade Stagecoach Network beyond the giving you 4 heroes at a time.

Those deeds need to go toward updating the Blacksmith.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been sitting on this game in my library for a while and it really appeals to me, but fuck it's scaring me.

Should I go for it ?

lawnchair

Banned
question for those who have completed the darkest dungeon:

what was your party composition? i've been playing this for yonks, i'm doing fine on every regular dungeon, but i still haven't cracked the first run into the darkest dungeon .. a couple of times this has been my fault. anyway, i'm open to suggestions. the party that i've been trying is:

Vestal/Jester/Houndmaster/Hellion

i was thinking about trading out the jester for a plague doctor, but then i'd lose the stress management .. please halp

Brakke

Banned
Damn I'm struggling to get into this. Started a new game and had to retreat from like five missions in a row, then I was totally out of cash so I restarted. Now on my second run, I'm doing a little better at making mixed parties with both vets and newbies but still, I just get totally blind-sided sometimes. I took a bleed-heavy army against fishmen once and... oops. Hadn't even seen fishmen before. Went once into the ruins with one shovel, then encountered like five rubble piles and my dudes were so battered (and my torches so low) from digging that I got ruined at my first room battle.

I wish it was a little more transparent. Like if I pick a Ruins mission, I wish it would remind me of what types of enemies and obstacles to expect. I almost never know what to buy except for four+ food and a handful of torches. And then there's the quirks, I have like three dudes with "Warrens" buffs, but if I pick a Warrens mission, I have to go through my whole list, right-clicking and reading all the quirks. These people feel so disposable I don't bother to learn their quirks properly. It should at least highlight "these dudes have bonuses for this zone" or "these dudes have drawbacks in this zone".

I dunno. I'm missing an intuition for where growth comes from: party-development or building up knowledge of the different zones. Obviously it's both but I don't know the balance. Should I just be going on suicide runs to discover how zones work with trash parties while my good dudes de-stress?

lawnchair

Banned
Damn I'm struggling to get into this. Started a new game and had to retreat from like five missions in a row, then I was totally out of cash so I restarted. Now on my second run, I'm doing a little better at making mixed parties with both vets and newbies but still, I just get totally blind-sided sometimes. I took a bleed-heavy army against fishmen once and... oops. Hadn't even seen fishmen before. Went once into the ruins with one shovel, then encountered like five rubble piles and my dudes battle.

I wish it was a little more transparent. Like if I pick a Ruins mission, I wish it would remind me of what types of enemies and obstacles to expect. I almost never know what to buy except for four+ food and a handful of torches. And then there's the quirks, I have like three dudes with "Warrens" buffs, but if I pick a Warrens mission, I have to go through my whole list, right-clicking and reading all the quirks. These people feel so disposable I don't bother to learn their quirks properly. It should at least highlight "these dudes have bonuses for this zone" or "these dudes have drawbacks in this zone".

the game definitely doesn't do any handholding in regards to the stuff, you just need to learn it on your own. at some point i honestly made a little darkest dungeon notebook where i would write things like "ruins: unholy enemies, bring shovels, herbs for iron maiden" etc. my darkest dungeon grail diary, if you will. after you've played through the zones dozens of times you just know what to do.

another piece of advice that i picked up far too late is that your characters are really expendable. let them die or send them away and recruit new ones (important to have an upgraded stagecoach) instead of wasting time/money healing their insanities and diseases etc, especially at the lower levels.

also they just announced a new easier and shorter mode which might appeal to more people..

**personal update: finally beat the first darkest dungeon quest. i am frightened of what i'll find in the second :\

Brakke

Banned
Thanks for the tips.

So does a campaign ever hit a failure state? Like can I dig myself into a hole I can't escape? How would I know if I get there?

Or can I always bootstrap back from new recruits running easy quests?

Thanks for the tips.

So does a campaign ever hit a failure state? Like can I dig myself into a hole I can't escape? How would I know if I get there?

Or can I always bootstrap back from new recruits running easy quests?

The hole is when everyone on your roster is fucked with illness. It's hard to come back easily from that.

ArjanN

The hole is when everyone on your roster is fucked with illness. It's hard to come back easily from that.

You can always just recruit new guys and do easy runs. It's just some extra grinding, but you can't really completely bone yourself. Honestly I found it best to consider to just consider your town your main character, especially early on.

New Game+ does have a campaign fail state though.

Brakke

Banned
Of course after complaining here I played for an hour and totally hit a stride, completing every quest I tried with no losses or only one guy dead / ruined by the run. But I think I might just bail until this Radiant mode comes out.

Weirdly, in this second run I haven't had a single Plague Doctor show up on the stagecoach yet. And I even had a town event "Plague" that leveled up all 0 of my Plague Doctors. I've been loving Jester though, who didn't show up at all in my short abortive first campaign.

What's up with this boy who can transform into a beast? Seems like I'm usually struggling to keep my own stress down, why'd I want to bring someone who stresses my own guys? I guess you can play him with a total newbie squad, all those fresh faces have plenty of capacity for stress?

Szadek

Abomination is one my favorite classes, but you should think twice before using his transformation and you probably want never more than 1 your team.
He ain't half bad in his human from and if you ever need a trump card, he is right there.
Your heroes also get a bit of sanity back if you transfrom back during the fight.

K.Jack

question for those who have completed the darkest dungeon:

what was your party composition? i've been playing this for yonks, i'm doing fine on every regular dungeon, but i still haven't cracked the first run into the darkest dungeon .. a couple of times this has been my fault. anyway, i'm open to suggestions. the party that i've been trying is:

Vestal/Jester/Houndmaster/Hellion

i was thinking about trading out the jester for a plague doctor, but then i'd lose the stress management .. please halp

Occulist/Grave Robber or HWM/Bounty Hunter/Hellion should murder the first DD dive.

That Jester is the weak link. You don't need his stress healing until you start running the deeper levels, as those are wars of attrition. The initial DD run is all about burst damage.

Also, be careful to always leave double Rapturous Cultists alive, so you can heal to full strength. That's where the 2nd row Bounty Hunter comes in, you can Flashbang the Cultists without doing damage, then quickly kill the damage dealers.

4x Cleansing Crystals is mandatory on this run, because it's short, thus you can barely bring any bandages and venom.

Give this party a try, it's extremely strong.

lawnchair

Banned
Occulist/Grave Robber or HWM/Bounty Hunter/Hellion should murder the first DD dive.

That Jester is the weak link. You don't need his stress healing until you start running the deeper levels, as those are wars of attrition. The initial DD run is all about burst damage.

Also, be careful to always leave double Rapturous Cultists alive, so you can heal to full strength. That's where the 2nd row Bounty Hunter comes in, you can Flashbang the Cultists without doing damage, then quickly kill the damage dealers.

4x Cleansing Crystals is mandatory on this run, because it's short, thus you can barely bring any bandages and venom.

Give this party a try, it's extremely strong.

very helpful stuff, thanks! i'm starting to realize a pattern with this game of people pointing stuff out to me that i hadn't even come close to thinking about. haha. ahh :( ..

K.Jack

very helpful stuff, thanks! i'm starting to realize a pattern with this game of people pointing stuff out to me that i hadn't even come close to thinking about. haha. ahh :( ..

To be fair, Steam says I've run 684 hours. I was born in the Darkest Dungeon, molded by it. I didn't see the Hamlet until I was already a man.

There literally isn't a mechanic I haven't studied and mastered.

Have any questions or subtle nuance you need to figure out? Ask away.

Top Bottom