• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

Rurunaki

As long as they don't add heart attacks IRL. I'm good with just stress IRL

iFwVnyg.gif

Context?

Will I survive decently if I do non boss champion levels without lvl 5 weapons? I don't have enough scrolls to get the last blacksmith upgrade and I only got champion missions for the warrens.

I would prefer to not lose a squad of my lvl 5 guys

Bought this a while ago without even knowing that it was in EA... it's damn good. A bit easy to call a rougelike, but very very fun nevertheless.

Current best of the best party setup is the dirt-standard starter set. Healing, backrow fuckery, and two solid damage dealers. Might swap out the highwayman.

Bought this a while ago without even knowing that it was in EA... it's damn good. A bit easy to call a rougelike, but very very fun nevertheless.

Current best of the best party setup is the dirt-standard starter set. Healing, backrow fuckery, and two solid damage dealers. Might swap out the highwayman.

I can never not have a Highwayman. They are always my solid number 2 guy.

DrArchon

Well, finally had some guys die on me. Went up against a Swine Prince for the first time and didn't know what I was doing so I got him pissed off and watched as he butchered an Arbalest, a Vestel, and a Houndmaster. But, my Leper, oh man. He survived being on death's door like 4 times in a row, went virtuous at 100 stress, and managed to kill the prince after everyone already died. What a damn hero!

Easily the sickest fight I've had so far.

Have they seriously rebalanced this since last time I played ? Which was just after the Bounty Hunter came out. Because at that time, my party went mad after my second run and started murdering each other and skipping turns and I didn't really have the relics to upgrade the town in a meaningful way and the level restrictions on quests made it hard to do rotation well. Which doesn't really seem particularly odd for a rogue like. If anything the inability to take advantage of good grinding opportunities seems to make it harder.

I can never not have a Highwayman. They are always my solid number 2 guy.

Maybe I just need to swap out some of his skills, but he's consistently doing middling damage. I keep thinking that a Man-At-Arms as a buff/debuff machine might be more useful, or a Houndmaster for dat sweet full row Bleed.

Have they seriously rebalanced this since last time I played ? Which was just after the Bounty Hunter came out. Because at that time, my party went mad after my second run and started murdering each other and I didn't really have the relics to upgrade the town in a meaingful way and the level restrictions on quests made it hard to do rotation well. Which doesn't really seem particularly odd for a rogue like. If anything the inability to take advantage of good grinding opportunities seems to make it harder.

Yeah, it got pretty seriously rebalanced not long before launch. I'm... I think 6 or 7 missions in? On my current run through, haven't lost anybody, got upgrades coming in at a steady pace. One boss down, too.

Falk

that puzzling face
Eh, gone are the days you could seriously stack crit and have Highwayman murder the front three ranks with grapeshot, while getting stress reduction from crit.

Doing my first Champion mission in the Weald and on the very first fight the giant with the tree crits my lvl 5 man-at-arms for 62. His resolve is tested and he goes heroic only to get immediately deathblowed by a fucking stressful encantation.

XOXxV0S.gif

First wipe, not too concerned as it was a throw away group in a L1 dungeon. Found the Shambler's Alter, actually beat him, but the group was in such bad shape his adds wiped us.

My jester survived 5 deathblows in a row, but couldn't hit the last sycophant in the front row. :( Lost my Sun Ring and Junia's Head as well. :(

Falk

that puzzling face
Camping Skills make or break longer dungeons.

This is true, and MAA feels like it's more bang for the buck right now along with the +-20% surprise skills, but like I said, back then it was all to feed into Highwayman crit chain, especially with grapeshot as AOE reacts far better to % damage bonuses. This has been toned down somewhat since ~July last year though, going off old experience.

His gun skills are just a little underpowered in terms of numbers (heck, single shot has a -25% modifier to begin with), albeit versatile. Hence I feel he still scales better than most other classes in Normal/Long.

Welp on top of losing my lvl 5 man at arms I also lost a lvl 5 crusader...........

That was the only high lvl man at arms I had left to :(

mr2xxx

Banned
Can you get out of a dungeon right away? I entered my second dungeon but my characters are about to go crazy so I wanted a quick exit to heal. Tried it a few weeks and couldn't figure out how to do it and I haven't played the game since.

Also I installed the game a few months ago, do I just have steam auto update it or do I have to reinstall since I had the beta version and I heard the game is complete now.

Sarcasm

Can you get out of a dungeon right away? I entered my second dungeon but my characters are about to go crazy so I wanted a quick exit to heal. Tried it a few weeks and couldn't figure out how to do it and I haven't played the game since.

Also I installed the game a few months ago, do I just have steam auto update it or do I have to reinstall since I had the beta version and I heard the game is complete now.

Top left there is a white flag, click to leave.

Just go into properties and switch to non beta, after that it should update itself.

WHY ARE YOU ASSHOLES HUNGRY ALL THE TIME....

Seriously, I camped and used 8 food and they got hungry like five times afterwards. ffs I bought two stacks of food and ended up not having enough when they got hungry at the end.

Locking Passive Abilities has made dungeon crawling 90% more doable for me.

But seriously, don't just lock any old ability.

All of them are junk except stat passives, monster slaying passives, and weapon/armor cost passives. I'm doing a run going for the Dismas/Reynauld acheev, but ended up using my three passive locks for Reynauld on Stress Faster, Stress Eater, and Warrior of Light. It may have just ruined his character.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I hadn't played this since it first hit early access last year. Took on the Swine Prince tonight, and forgot you're not supposed to take out Wilbur first. Bye bye, A Team :(

Locking Passive Abilities has made dungeon crawling 90% more doable for me.

But seriously, don't just lock any old ability.

All of them are junk except stat passives, monster slaying passives, and weapon/armor cost passives. I'm doing a run going for the Dismas/Reynauld acheev, but ended up using my three passive locks for Reynauld on Stress Faster, Stress Eater, and Warrior of Light. It may have just ruined his character.

Yeah, it's super pricey but I just locked my first, Clotter, for 15% bleed resist on my star Bounty Hunter.

Dreavus

Doing my first Champion mission in the Weald and on the very first fight the giant with the tree crits my lvl 5 man-at-arms for 62. His resolve is tested and he goes heroic only to get immediately deathblowed by a fucking stressful encantation.

XOXxV0S.gif

I am terrified of anything above entry level dungeons. I brought my level 3 guys into a yellow dungeon once. One death and the rest barely alive when I retreated.

A troll just sat there and beat the shit out of my team.

AzureSky

when i successfully finish a dungeon it's level (progression?) seems to rise. I guess enemys will be tougher too. Let's say i lose most of my main characters in the late game, is it still possible to go into (now higher level) dungeons with a fresh party and expect to survive?
Blacksmith and Guild upgrades would probably help if you have some money left, but is it still possible to recover if everything goes wrong?

kionedrik

I am terrified of anything above entry level dungeons. I brought my level 3 guys into a yellow dungeon once. One death and the rest barely alive when I retreated.

A troll just sat there and beat the shit out of my team.

Unless I managed to upgrade my blacksmith twice, either arms or armor, and my guild also twice, at least, I tend to avoid the yellow dungeons early on.
Granted the first parties you send there will almost certainly get massacred but at the very least they will manage to survive long enough to get some supplies to upgrade your 2nd lines.

Falk

that puzzling face
when i successfully finish a dungeon it's level (progression?) seems to rise. I guess enemys will be tougher too. Let's say i lose most of my main characters in the late game, is it still possible to go into (now higher level) dungeons with a fresh party and expect to survive?
Blacksmith and Guild upgrades would probably help if you have some money left, but is it still possible to recover if everything goes wrong?

There is no complete fail state in the game. Even if you lose every single character you have, you should be able to get a ragtag party and do green (lv0-2) dungeons and essentially start over. But no, to answer your question, you don't want to take lv0s into yellow or red dungeons.

The meta progression in the game is basically how much you've upgraded your manor, which translates in how efficient in terms of gold you can get your party up and running in terms of gear and skill training, stress relief, and eventually when you're rolling in cash perk/quirk management and trinkets.

Klyka

Banned
One of the most important aspects of the game to learn and internalize is that your characters are as much a resource as any other. And they can be expendable as all hell.

What I mean by this is that you can send in groups of lvl 0s or lvl 1 and just do "no torch runs" letting the light go to zero and grabbing as much as you can and even if people die or get insane,it doesn't matter,you throw throw them out and grab new ones.

You can get tons of gold and such like this and it never matters in the long run. Just costs you time.

Yeah, it's super pricey but I just locked my first, Clotter, for 15% bleed resist on my star Bounty Hunter.

Canadian Dave (I named all my caretaker mission A Team after characters from my game because I'm a dork), Houndmaster, just got a Bleed passive.

So yeah you best believe I locked that shit.

Does so much damage now with his bleed skills. He's gonna absolutely wreck shit when his armor and weapons are upgraded.

Sölf

Time to subscribe. Bought it back when it became available. Played it for quite some time, but now after it finally has been completed I only played for an hour so far. But I already know I will die horribly most of the time anyway, who am I even kidding.

I love how they continued to tweak the different characters up until post-EA release.

Whereas before, good builds were good and bad were bad, now it's like....

Good builds can make or break if a dungeon is painful or just mildly annoying. Skills seem to actually compliment each other now in a much better, more coherent fashion. I actually use Man-of-War now. Abomination seems counterproductive until you realize that he's really a solo character. So now I use an A-Bomb all the time with three expendables whenever I'm Gold/Heirloom Farming. Guy just positively kills everything.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
As long as they don't add heart attacks IRL. I'm good with just stress IRL

iFwVnyg.gif
Reaction seems nothing out of the ordinary imo...

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm running out on low-level heroes but I need some painting to upgrade my level 3 guys or the mid-dungeons are gonna be really, really rough :/

Woot!! Killed my first champion boss, got the siren down. I lost a lvl 6 bounty hunter and a lvl 6 vestal and somehow was magically able to kill it.

I would have been able to keep my party except the fucking hunger bullshit got me again. I bought the maximum amount of food allowed, two full stacks. And after camping I had the hunger proc on me before the last room costing me 20% health.

Losing my lvl 6 BH sucks because it was the only one I had and it had max weapons/armor, which isn't cheap even if your blacksmith is fully upgraded.

With full discounts lvl 5 weapons/armor cost 8k combined.

Gothos

Man, going to the dungeon with new party setup which forces us to experiment with new group dynamics is so much FUN. Just killed a boss with hastly made group because I didn't want to lose the reward and it was so god damn satisfying.

What an amazing game.

Top Bottom