• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders 2 new info! [one month away from release]

DieH@rd

Banned
Another great info for DS2 fans! Kotaku had a long and interesting interview with Joe Madueira about his art, and the way he designed Darksiders 2.
http://kotaku.com/5929162/the-heavy+metal-art-of-darksiders-ii

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Also, just to make things clear for this thread, news about THQ bosses wanting Darksiders II to sell 4-5 million copies to ensure surivival of the franchise are not true. Haydn Dalton [lead designer of DS2] confirmed he pulled that number only as an example, and that THQ will be more than willing to fund new game even if DS2 manages to only break even.

Gav47

Not sure if it was mentioned here or not but it looks like the hammer that won the polycount competition will be the final unlock of the soul harvest app.

DoDsG.jpg

Create-a-Weapon-Hammer-Winner.jpg

I really hope that my d3d9.dll FXAA injector won't be considered a "cheat". I've used it for several games, but a few of them don't like it and won't start up - for example Kingdoms of Amular.

I forgot all about it actually till you posted those screenshots, thanks Die Hard =)
I might turn it on for some of my newly bought steam games actually...

I use the skyrim FXAA injector and never had a problem. The improved kingdom of amalur youtube video has a link that also works. :)

Thanks for the Darksiders injector, going to give it a shot.

forrest

formerly nacire
Not sure if it was mentioned here or not but it looks like the hammer that won the polycount competition will be the final unlock of the soul harvest app.

SoulHarvestApp.jpg

PolycountHammer.jpg

Yeah I noticed that a couple days ago. The two hammers were my favorite of the contest so I'm stoked this one is getting unlocked via the app.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
NEVER FUCKING MAKE DEATH'S EYES RED PEOPLE.

ok it wasn't written like that, but that's the tone I read it in xD

Also man DS1 with FXAA injector shits all over the console versions so damn badly its not even funny

so i got up to the black throne area of darksiders and i just gave up. i havent felt this annoyed at a game segment in forever and i have zero motivation to finish it. who the fuck thought including that area was a good idea?

i youtubed the rest of the game. i enjoyed a lot of what i played but the game definitely has a lot it needs to improve upon. i loved the lore and the story though and the ending has me hyped for DS2.

Maffis

I don't remember having any difficulties at all with the first one. Lots of people have been complaining about the Black Throne, but I hardly remember it :p

shibbs

All this info is getting be hyped but I still need to play the first one. Between the 360 and PS3, is there a superior version?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So good! One enemy doesn't even get to touch the ground!

And the PC version is looking sharp!

Well, enemies don't get to touch the ground in DS 1 either LOL but DS2 is like twice as fast and actually designed for that so its more insane looking :p Can't wait

so i got up to the black throne area of darksiders and i just gave up. i havent felt this annoyed at a game segment in forever and i have zero motivation to finish it. who the fuck thought including that area was a good idea?

i youtubed the rest of the game. i enjoyed a lot of what i played but the game definitely has a lot it needs to improve upon. i loved the lore and the story though and the ending has me hyped for DS2.

The Black Throne was the most tedious area of the game for sure. The gimmick was overused, and I remember most of the enemies there being the strongest/spongiest ones in the game. Dungeon pacing is the #1 thing I hope they improved on. Long dungeons are fine, but puzzles and enemy encounters have to be designed so they remain fun instead of turning into "work." The last 5 hours of Darksiders turned into work IMO. The first 10 were great fun.

Huh. I enjoyed every minute of darksiders. Well besides one or two trophies I had to farm for :p

Pre ordered DS2 months ago. My first game I'll be buying in germany!

How is the Apocalypse difficulty compared to Darksiders 1? It was pretty easy. So I am not sure if I should begin Darksiders 2 on Apocalypse.

The GiantBomb Quick Look is amazing. But I was already sold on Day 1.

ironcreed

Banned
GiantBomb quicklook is so good, especially uberfluid combat. This is expecially awesome for me, because I really used strafe/dash move constantly in Darksiders 1.

btw, new NPC character @ http://community.darksiders.com/go/..._interview_new_character&post_num=1#522294591

Looks like some variant of Pan. Very cool design. Also, I would just like to add that the use of color is spot on in this game. Be it the pale turquoise flames that flow off of Despair or the pale blues, deep purples and and blacks, etc in the various environments. Just visually striking and vibrant with an edge.

Not sure if this deserves its own thread.

Vigil Games has assured fans of Darksiders that future games in the series will not compromise familiarity in favour of brand new gameplay mechanics.

Lead designer Haydn Dalton told Sponge that, although the studio will likely introduce new gunplay mechanics as a primary focus, there will still be a melee component to avoid alienating those who are used to the last two Darksiders games.

Speaking specifically about Strife, one of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse that has yet to feature in a Darksiders game, Dalton confirmed that the nature of the game will be different to that of War's and Death's. "We wouldn’t design the creatures to work the same way they do now when introducing guns, because everything gets to you too close too quickly.

"If it’s a sole game based on that character, then we design the game around the functionality. Give the player a set of core mechanics and you design the things around that,
" he added. "Close Quarters Combat is actually a pretty hard genre to get right in terms of feeling and AI, so we feel that with a bit more space - where you’ve actually got projectiles to consider - it gets a little bit easier.

"So we’d have to tweak the style of creatures, what they do, how they move and everything, but then we’d also base some puzzle stuff around projectiles. Who knows what we’ll do, ultimately, but essentially we’ll design around the character. So I don’t think it’d be too much of a problem to be honest."

Could Strife be the next Horseman to star in a Darksiders game? Dalton wouldn't specifically say, but it seems that a lot of thought has gone into ensuring that the gun-toting Nephilim doesn't alienate fans of the fantasy series. "I’d presume that what we’d do, to address the familiarity point, is that we’d do gunplay as a primary mechanic but still include melee attacks when enemies get too close. So we’d still do still stuff based on CQC. It’s just be a lot more effective at range."

Catch the full interview with Haydn Dalton and art director Han Randhawa on ***** later today.

http://*****.com/article/27599/Darksiders-Gunplay-Heavy-Sequel-Will-Not-Alienate-Fans

DieH@rd

Banned

FPS game with Strife is sounding more and more real.

They are most probably waiting for large install base of nextgen consoles before starting their work on Fury's game. They need ungodly amounts of processing power to render her boobs. :)

forrest

formerly nacire
fb144b7ad9b414f86b20180e09dc934098c57d79.png

A quick avatar from that art if anyone wants it!

Very nice, I'll probably just DS2 up my DS1 avatar. I really enjoyed the penny arcade comic with the War/Link joke and I've been using it since.

As for the weapons, I actually think the two hammers are just a wee bit better in terms of execution and design than the Axe and Mace. Not that the axe and mace aren't kick ass in their own right though.

Also, I don't know why so many people complain about the Black Throne. It's like Darksiders' Water Temple or something. :p I found it pretty challenging from a puzzle perspective the first time through and even though I've played it several times again, I still don't find it boring or bad. Different strokes I guess.

Muffdraul

I remember playing the Darksiders demo way back and basically liking it, but being turned off by how it seemed to cross the line from homage/inspired to flat out unimaginative rip off. But I have to admit Darksiders 2 looks so good, I'm picking up a copy of the first one cheap so I can have it in the can before Aug 14.

Green Yoshi

The Austrian gaming magazine Consol.AT gives Darksiders II 93%.

It is better than Darksiders 1 in every aspect, except the story (
not as epic as the first one, plays in the same time periode as Darksiders 1, cliffhanger
)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The Austrian gaming magazine Consol.AT gives Darksiders II 93%.

It is better than Darksiders 1 in every aspect, except the story (
not as epic as the first one, plays in the same time periode, cliffhanger

I figured it would be that way with the spoiler wouldn't make sense any other way. Glad for the positive review hope they keep flying in :D that's two 90's now

I don't remember having any difficulties at all with the first one. Lots of people have been complaining about the Black Throne, but I hardly remember it :p

Most difficult fight for me was that sand worm boss. It wasn't difficult, but I felt like it took forever to kill. Very frustrating.

^same

Also, a short, 20 second clip of an exclusive hammer has surfaced. http://ht.ly/cwUrQ

Not much to fret over, but still, footage is footage :p

The best thing about that clip is that no numbers came up when death was using it, meaning that is indeed an option you can turn off.

Mix DMC's Gunslinger and Equilbirums Gun Kata, with a mixture of both war and deaths meele.

Besides, strife doesn't need his own game. Just put him and fury in a sequel working together.

Megasoum

Banned
The best thing about that clip is that no numbers came up when death was using it, meaning that is indeed an option you can turn off.

So you are saying it's possible to play with the ui disabled? :p

This, the guy has the whole UI hidden so, unless there's an option to do that (doubtfull) then this was captured using a debug build.

And why would you want to play without those numbers? It's awesome to see big numbers pop-up when you crit!

Top Bottom