• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders 2 new info! [one month away from release]

I just want some confirmation that this runs well on the PS3 so I know where my pre-order should be going. The first one did, but this generation has made me extra cautious.

Duffyside

Banned
Usually the phrase "for gamers by gamers" and things like it annoy me to no end, but in this case it seems totally apt. Yep, Darksiders is a game for gamers; and I can't fucking wait.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The game looks great and I can't wait for it but this seems incredibly stupid to me.

Man, thinking about it, the GAF "Best Game of the Generation" thread after the Wii U, PS4 and Xbox-whatever comes out is going to be glorious.

Darksiders would definitely be my "Best New IP" and "Biggest Surprise" list.

Don't know about Best Game period, though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The game looks great and I can't wait for it but this seems incredibly stupid to me.

Why? Are you me and have control over my opinion and types of games I enjoy? Your statement is the silly one :)

Darksiders 1 was my game of the year the year it came out and lots of amazing titles came out that year but that game was the only one that gave me the I'm playing a fucking amazing video game wish I had this when I was 12 I would shit myself type feeling. It's rare for a game to reach through and rip out my inner child and leave me smiling the entire time. DS2 looks like that on steroids.

If you want to know my other contender it's The Last of Us if the game plays even remotely like how they showcased it and has a good story and length. Every other game this gen has just been fun and enjoyable to me. Dark Souls would be my other contender.

I don't enjoy the Halo franchise, I don't enjoy the CoD franchise, GTA and Red dead are average to me, MGS was too clunky to pick up and play when ever for fun, Uncharted series felt like a fun summer movie but you really only had 1 or 2 ways to do everything. Portal was fun but not something I could play over and over, I could go on and on but that's getting off topic.

To me a game has to be something I can pick up and just have fun being creative in but doesn't take too much time to do anything in it if I don't have the time. I prefer fantasy games as well.

HYDE

Banned
Why? Are you me and have control over my opinion and types of games I enjoy? Your statement is the silly one :)

Darksiders 1 was my game of the year the year it came out and lots of amazing titles came out that year but that game was the only one that gave me the I'm playing a fucking amazing video game wish I had this when I was 12 I would shit myself type feeling. It's rare for a game to reach through and rip out my inner child and leave me smiling the entire time.

Now we just shart since we're ol' farts.

Have a couple of questions for hdn :)

Are there any missable quests, any missable locations or any missable items ? Or you can always go anywhere you want and get important items or complete quests anytime you like ?

Can you keep playing after you finish the game or after the ending you have to start a new game + ?

I just want some confirmation that this runs well on the PS3 so I know where my pre-order should be going. The first one did, but this generation has made me extra cautious.

I'm a little wary of pre-ordering multiplat games for this same reason. Might pull a Vanquish and run better on PS3...who knows. It's not UE3 or CoD so the automatic 360 preorder is out the window. Currently playing DS1 on PS3 since it doesn't require a patch to run decently, and it controls fine on the dualshock. Really would like DS2 on PS3 but I'll have to wait for impressions. I'm super-OCD about having the best version of everything on consoles.

In other news, I'm at the beginning of what I think has to be the first dungeon in Darksiders 1 (Twilight Cathedral). Playing on Apocalyptic difficulty and really enjoying it, though that fucker on the broken bridge before the Panzer Dragoon section was a bitch to kill. Technically the game is a bit rough around the edges with framerate drops and occasional screen tearing, but it's making me feel like I'm on an old-school epic adventure like few other games have recently. Like most other games in this genre, I have a feeling it's going to get way better the longer it goes on.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
PS3 version was the best at first, then 360 got a patch that put it on par then pc is the best version overall after it came out cause well... it's pc

Hindle

Banned
The art in this game is outstanding. Its really cool when a developer is free to create any enviroment it wants and fire on all cylinders with the imagination.

Am I the only one annoyed by the DLC-storm? There is, what, three DLC packages getting released on day-one and then loads of DLC post launch? Vigil said that there'll be DLC and THQ is even giving away a seasonal pass if you pre-order it from the official store and live in one of the worlds only five countries, so of they're having season passes then there's obviously going to be plenty of DLC. I just hope that they're not taking content away from the main game. Sucks when skilled developers do this crap.

That said, it's still my second most anticipated game and it looks phenomenal.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The pre-order DLC won't be available on day 1. It says people who pre-order will be able to download them "when they are available."

DieH@rd

Banned
The pre-order DLC won't be available on day 1. It says people who pre-order will be able to download them "when they are available."

Yes, but there are retailer exclusive items, abilities and quests that will be present on day1. Also, various side-promotions are giving away some weapons.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...s-ii-getting-two-disc-original-soundtrack-set

Two-disc soundtrack to be sold when the game releases.

Considering the composer, it's pretty much expected.

Some examples

Into Eternity

The Makers Theme

City of the Dead

Demon Realm

Am I the only one annoyed by the DLC-storm? There is, what, three DLC packages getting released on day-one and then loads of DLC post launch? Vigil said that there'll be DLC and THQ is even giving away a seasonal pass if you pre-order it from the official store and live in one of the worlds only five countries, so of they're having season passes then there's obviously going to be plenty of DLC. I just hope that they're not taking content away from the main game. Sucks when skilled developers do this crap.

That said, it's still my second most anticipated game and it looks phenomenal.
One DLC is on day 30 after release, then Day 60, then Day 90

These are all most likely going to be mini hubs with dungeons and quest seeing how that's what the first dlc is and the main game is already 25 plus hours with new game plus offering new things. I have no complaints about this and will gladly give them the money if it's worth it or you could just preorder the game on thq and get it all free *shrug*

I rarely count little silly things like weapons that are retailer exclusive *in a game like this those are prob just some nice starter weps and that's it*

Honestly with the dlc being that spread apart and all the other things in the game. I wouldnt be shocked if they didnt start actually working on them a few months ago only. *notice that short delay we got was probably to try to get the dlc lined up with proper release timing*

DieH@rd

Banned
Horseman's speed, gentlemen.

When you first lay your eyes on our OT, your avatar will trully see the magnificence of
2001_space_odyssey_fg2b.jpg

:D

I'm not saying that you will become self-aware for the first time in your life like in that movie, but... it will be close. :D :D :D

abrack08

I didn't give the original Darksiders much of a chance. I got it as a gift for christmas from a family member married to a guy who worked for THQ and had never heard of it. I played it for a few hours but ended up trading it in for something else that I wanted that come out not too long after (don't remember what, maybe MLB in March?). I really with I hadn't done that, I've wanted to play the game again, and I'm getting pretty hyped for Darksiders 2. I think I'll nab the first one somewhere and actually play through it to prepare.

_machine

Could very well be my GOTY 2012; I loved the first one and all the new features sound fantastic and are things I missed in the first. Having the lead dev here scores some extra points in book too, not that the game or Vigil needs them. Will place my pre-order once I get back home.

Duffyside

Banned
It does look amazing so far, but I worry about a lack of depth. When a game tries to do so much -- leveling up, loot, varied combat, open world, puzzles, etc -- it can bite off more than it can chew. I worry that the combat might not be very deep, which was a problem with the first, or that something like the loot of the game might just be a set number of say 20 real items that drop during the game, and that's it, everything else just random "garbage" that you're not meant to use in any real way.

That said, this can also work in the game's favor, as I find the loot of something like Diablo or Borderlands really frustrating. I don't want to stop and examine a menu interface every ten seconds. Hopefully this game hits a middle ground in terms of loot, and a Bayonetta ground in terms of combat. :p

Peterthumpa

That's a lot of upcoming DLC announced for the game already.
And the first one claiming that it features a whole new dugeon worries me a little bit...

Isn't that too much work for DLC content? I have an itchy feeling that this dungeon was supposed to be in the final game...

DieH@rd

Banned
Anything else you need? =/

Like avatars or what not.

9619512.jpg

:)

And the first one claiming that it features a whole new dugeon worries me a little bit...

Isn't that too much work for DLC content? I have an itchy feeling that this dungeon was supposed to be in the final game...

In one old interview they showcased that their engine is really modular, and you can slap a new area with just dragging and dropping of pre-made geometry. First "big content" DLC will come out in first 30 days of release, and that is a long time for a ton of developers to piece something together.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

...... They said most of the last 3 months of game have been balance and bug testing for the most part. So no I doubt that. I'm sure the 3 dlc areas are all parts they wanted in the game but had to leave out due to time restraints. Being able to cut them out and give extra time to bug test stuff is better in the long run....

In one old interview they showcased that their engine is really modular, and you can slap a new area with just dragging and dropping of pre-made geometry. First "big content" DLC will come out in first 30 days of release, and that is a long time for a ton of developers to piece something together.
I hope this means if the first 3 packs do good we get more content after that. Would be amazing to have half a year of updated content *it will probably go to darksiders 3 instead lol*

The game is looking really great, but one thing I'm really confused about (and forgive me if this has been covered ten times over) is whether the game still has that 3D Zelda structure, I'll be pretty disappointed if the game doesn't have Zelda-ass dungeons.

It seemed like they really leant into that influence in the lead-up to the original's release, which really helped catch people's attention. Now they really seem to be trying to distance themselves from the stigma of being a Zelda "clone", which is understandable, but I just hope it's mostly a PR thing and that the game hasn't moved away from that initial influence. If the game has all of the features they've been touting on top of a bunch of satisfying Zelda-style dungeons it could be incredible.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The game is looking really great, but one thing I'm really confused about ( and forgive me of this has been covered ten times over) is whether the game still has that 3D Zelda structure, I'll be pretty disappointed of the game doesn't have Zelda-ass dungeons.

It seemed like they really leant into that influence in the lead-up to the original's release, which really helped catch people's attention. Now they really seem to be trying to distance themselves from the stigma of being a Zelda "clone", which is understandable, but I just hope it's mostly a PR thing and that the game hasn't moved away from that initial influence. If the game has all of the features they've been touting on top of a bunch of satisfying Zelda-style dungeons it could be incredible.

Still has a zelda style format, it's just expanded upon now to make a more meaty game. Think of Darksiders 2 is to Zelda as SotN is to Metroid

Top Bottom