• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle partners with start-up that prevents people from recording shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much more effective is this than having a simple phone check at the door like a coat check. Hand them your phone, get a ticket. When you leave, hand them your ticket, get your phone back. Seems so much more simple and low tech.

A lot of people aren't going to put a 5-900 dollar phone into a coat check

I know someone who was an usher at a Kevin Hart arena show and they were given instructions to boot anyone who took out their phone in the seating area, they were looking for the glow from the screen or ringtones

andthebeatgoeson

Sounds like a bunch of comedians need to fulfill the need by making a streaming site. Would you sign up for 5 bucks a month or a netflix add on? Google or Amazon?

Deft Beck

In response, I am going to play a show where the only way to see the band is to view it through your phone's camera.

"chappelle is coming to town, want to grab tickets?"

"nah, ill just watch shaky clips with shitty audio on youtube."

Is this really cutting into ticket sales?

ISOM

Are people so selfish that they can't stand to have their phones in their pockets during a show? I mean it shouldn't be that big a deal.

SegaShack

First mass shooting people can't call for help the company and venue will be sued out of existence.
Cause I'm sure the employees won't be able to contact anyone right? It's not like they have walkie talkies and have training on what to do in an emergency. A cell phone call isn't going to stop a shooting from happening in a situation like this.

J.W.Crazy

"chappelle is coming to town, want to grab tickets?"

"nah, ill just watch shaky clips with shitty audio on youtube."

Is this really cutting into ticket sales?

It's more about people having heard the material before. If the audience hears too much familiar material it can really hurt ticket sales the next time you play the same venue or city. A comedian schedules their touring so that they don't go back to the same venue until they have new material. If they do a TV set they just drop that material for the most part. When somebody uploads their full set after the first show of the tour they can't just drop the whole thing.

dity

This is a bit silly. All I can really think about is getting an emergency call from a relative/friend/SO and being unable to see it due to this case.

What a waste of time and money. We should, as a people, publicly shame everyone who messes around on their phones during shows and movies until it is seen as socially unacceptable as flashing your genitals.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
How much more effective is this than having a simple phone check at the door like a coat check. Hand them your phone, get a ticket. When you leave, hand them your ticket, get your phone back. Seems so much more simple and low tech.

Until somebody drops a phone, or steals a phone, or claims somebody broke/stole their phone. As bad as you might think this idea is. Taking responsibility for somebodies phone as a venue is wayyyyyyy worse.

On the flip side this idea is going to be null and void once Google glasses and similar wearables makes the use of smart phones for recording obsolete.

Omni

What happens if there was an emergency?

Gun violence seems to be a big issue over in the US. Wouldn't feel comfortable being locked out of using my phone. But yanno //shrug.

God forbid people go an hour or two without a phone. There was a time when our parents and grandparents went to see shows like Sinatra or George Carlin and didn't have phones.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Also the majority of this is Dave probably wants to practice material for a new special and his practice runs keep leaking.

Unless that damn case made of Cavalier.

I'll have a resolution to use these.

Skalm_2.JPG

Just politely, get my damn phone out of the case.

webkatt

I can get behind this. I can see how performers would be annoyed by everyone having a cell phone pointed at them. It appears to be a physical lock on the case for your phone. It's not going to magically block turn off/silence your phone. I doubt it blocks reception but I could be wrong.

A company called Yondr makes the cases that would be handed out at the door, requiring users to place smartphones inside. The case then “locks” once you enter the “phone-free zone,” or performance space, preventing you or anyone around you from accessing their phones during the show.

Need to use your phone? No problem. Step outside the “phone-free” zone, and you can use it.

I can't say for sure but it looks pretty easy to rip open in a emergency. Maybe the venue will charge a fee for damaged cases if someone decides to rip it open? Barring an emergency event of course

I love this idea. Movie theaters need to implement this ASAP.

Came to write this same exact things. How is this a bad idea at all? It should be implemented in more places. I think people are exaggerating a bit too much about how prohibitive this really is. There are "no cell phone" policies in a lot of places and events, people still go and just outright violate the policy. This is the best of both worlds in the sense that it allows the user the keep their phone and only use it in a designated area while not disturbing everyone else.

dity

Came to write this same exact things. How is this a bad idea at all? It should be implemented in more places.
"Hi this is Jane, just trying to reach you. Stranded on the highway right now and I'm pretty scared. Get back to me ASAP."

She died.

I can see why a stand up comic would support this idea, more than other types of performance art. I've heard it said that one of the hardest things about comedy is that the only way to practice it is to perform it. Like, a musician can play alone, in an empty room, and learn their part. Comedy is different because you need to have an audience to know if a joke will land. So a lot of gigs aren't a comic performing, they're a comic practicing. I can empathize with not wanting their practice takes to be on the internet, before they perfect it.

I'm a comic, and yeah, I can confirm that this is true. Only way to get better is to do it live. Again and again. It's quite a unique discipline in that sense

"Hi this is Jane, just trying to reach you. Stranded on the highway right now and I'm pretty scared. Get back to me ASAP."

She died.

Yeah because that's what everyone is doing with their phones at movie theaters and concerts, saving lives, signing business deals, and solving world hunger /s

If you can't be at a place with a "no phone policy" where you can't "immediately" check your phone for 1-2 hours then don't go. That's perfectly ok.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Yeah because that's what everyone is doing with their phones at movie theaters and concerts, saving lives, signing business deals, and solving world hunger /s

If you can't be at a place with a "no phone policy" where you can't "immediately" check your phone for 1-2 hours then don't go. That's perfectly ok.

I agree. And if you have a loved one and they get into a horrible accident, unless you're the premiere surgeon in the country, you'd probably wouldn't be dealing directly with the situation anyway. Yeah, it sucks if you maybe miss their last moments because you were away from your phone for a two-hour window from when they went from completely fine, to accident, to conscious and speaking, to dead, but that seems really unlikely. And even then, unless the hospital is next to the venue with phone locking, you might not be able to get there in time anyway.

And if there was some emergency where they needed someone, unless you are the only person they know, they can call someone else.

Hell, even George W. Bush took the time to finish My Pet Goat when terrorists were attacking New York, I think most people can go a few hours w/o their cellulars.

I also think these phone bags should be faraday cages. I don't want to hear ringing and people being unable to get to their phone so now they have to shuffle awkwardly out of the venue.

lenovox1

Correct. Any other view is an irrational one based on very rare circumstances or base anxieties that overestimates the occurrences of these types of events. If you can't overcome your anxiety, you don't have to go.

dity

I tried to say it in a humourous way, but I legitimately think emergency calls will be the ultimate undoing of this whole thing. I don't care if you and another think it's "irrational" or whatever, and sure it might be a rare occurence if we were talking about maybe a couple of people. But this is forcing lots of people to do it all at once, and fuck me dead if you don't think that heavily increases the chance of that thing happening. I mean, there's a bloody reason why cinemas dialled back from "turn off your phone" to "switch your phone to silent."

All I can see at the end of the tunnel for this business is a lot of bad publicity - and it's not a question of if it'll happen, it's a question of when it will happen. It will happen.

I tried to say it in a humourous way, but I legitimately think emergency calls will be the ultimate undoing of this whole thing. I don't care if you and another think it's "irrational" or whatever, and sure it might be a rare occurence if we were talking about maybe a couple of people. But this is forcing lots of people to do it all at once, and fuck me dead if you don't think that heavily increases the chance of that thing happening. I mean, there's a bloody reason why cinemas dialled back from "turn off your phone" to "switch your phone to silent."

All I can see at the end of the tunnel for this business is a lot of bad publicity - and it's not a question of if it'll happen, it's a question of when it will happen. It will happen.

I would hope you can still see your phone through the mesh and see who's calling.

If you could take calls through it, and all it did was obscure the phone's cameras, the company would be on a better footing long-term.

Taking Calls through it would mean that you could use the phone inside the venue. Part of the point of this device, in addition to preventing recording, is to stop people from using their devices inside the venue. If you need to use your phone, step out into the lobby, where the pouch will unlock, allowing you complete unfettered access to your device.

dity

Taking Calls through it would mean that you could use the phone inside the venue. Part of the point of this device, in addition to preventing recording, is to stop people from using their devices inside the venue. If you need to use your phone, step out into the lobby, where the pouch will unlock, allowing you complete unfettered access to your device.

Yeah, and when dealing with a time sensitive situation that might not be feasible. The time it takes you to get from your seat to the lobby could easily be what makes a situation when dealing with children/babysitters or elderly people even worse. That then involves you calling them back and having them pick up the phone, which might not be possible - or may even compromise them in some form. Who knows.

I honestly don't think Dave's career is worth more than a loved one in need being able to contact the one they need.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Most people don't even intend to bootleg that shit.

They desire the likes that their shaky 30-second clip will receive on their Facebook or Instagram. They need some visual, sharable proof of the fun they were having this night and all their friends need to acknowledge the greatness of their lives by clicking a little thumbs up icon.

It's sad, but it's what happens.

mileS

I'm going to report back after the show and let everyone know the massive pandemonium these cell phone pouches caused.

Just because you don't understand why something like this is necessary (in Dave's/other comedians/creative people's eyes) doesn't mean it's an idiotic idea
This can't be quoted enough.Then there's the people that claim its a terrible idea, pretend they know a better solution, but don't end up posting what that would be.

hydruxo

I'm more amazed that there's actually a start up for this rather than the fact that Chappelle is using them for his shows.

Kozak

Banned
I think recordings help artists more than they hurt them.

Like someone already commented earlier, nobody is going to watch a shitty phone video and decide they've seen enough to not warrant going to a show. Anyone who would is quite clearly not going to buy a ticket or a fan in the first place..

I don't know the phone thing never bothers me. Its kind of part of the vibe for me. I'm 6ft tall though so I'm not reaching to see other peoples heads much.

Tobor

The last time I went to traffic court, I had to seal my phone in a Manila envelope. There was no technology, but if I opened the envelope inside, boom. Under arrest for contempt of court.

Problem solved. I asked a sheriff why they did it, and it was to avoid having to turn people away to put their phones in the car. Some people came on a bus and had no car to put the phone in. And nobody wants to check the phone. They want it in their pocket even if it can't be used. Understandable.

Now obviously, venues don't have the threat of arrest to maintain order, but this Yondr system sounds like the next best thing. I'm all for it.

I'm more amazed that there's actually a start up for this rather than the fact that Chappelle is using them for his shows.

It's a legitimate issue that needed a better resolution. I wish I'd thought of it.

They absolutely need to start streaming live stand up, that'd be point one. I don't think I'd give a shit about privacy so much but I think this is a great idea if only to stop people using their phones during a live performance - it's rude. The same with cinemas or an audience-based thing, those fucking screens in the corner of your eye. Infuriating.

But but what if a terrorist is going to set off a dirty bomb in a major American city and the only way it can be stopped is by me waving my fucking iPad in front of everyone's faces during a comedy show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom