• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle partners with start-up that prevents people from recording shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

Yeah, and when dealing with a time sensitive situation that might not be feasible. The time it takes you to get from your seat to the lobby could easily be what makes a situation when dealing with children/babysitters or elderly people even worse. That then involves you calling them back and having them pick up the phone, which might not be possible - or may even compromise them in some form. Who knows.

I honestly don't think Dave's career is worth more than a loved one in need being able to contact the one they need.

As someone who occasionally needs to be on-call and respond to pages within 5 minutes, I am pretty conscious of the restrictions that it places on a person.

I do not believe that many people can actually plan their life around ensuring that they are always guaranteed to be able to answer your phone in less than the 30 seconds it might take for you to walk to the lobby at one of these shows. It would be difficult to go anywhere with those restrictions, because you never know when you are going to encounter a dead zone for cell phone signals. You couldn't enter buildings or go to parts of town where the signal might be bad, you couldn't do things that require uninterrupted attention like driving, you couldn't do things that require both hands to be occupied for more than 30 seconds. With a 30-second limit, even mundane things like going to the bathroom or taking a shower could be a problem. Frankly, it seems like a pretty ridiculous premise.

I can see how this much restriction could bother some people.

But if they announce it before tickets go on sale, fine with me. IMO if you truly can't put your phone away for a couple of hours, maybe you should be doing something else.

I would assume they would still allow pagers if only on vibrate. Some people always have to be on call. But at least they can leave to the lobby to use their phone.

Sounds good to me. If you're really in a position where you absolutely need to take an urgent call at all times, so urgent that you can't get up and leave the theatre to take it, then don't go to the show. I'd also go to cinemas that did this.

dity

As someone who occasionally needs to be on-call and respond to pages within 5 minutes, I am pretty conscious of the restrictions that it places on a person.

I do not believe that many people can actually plan their life around ensuring that they are always guaranteed to be able to answer your phone in less than the 30 seconds it might take for you to walk to the lobby at one of these shows. It would be difficult to go anywhere with those restrictions, because you never know when you are going to encounter a dead zone for cell phone signals. You couldn't enter buildings or go to parts of town where the signal might be bad, you couldn't do things that require uninterrupted attention like driving, you couldn't do things that require both hands to be occupied for more than 30 seconds. With a 30-second limit, even mundane things like going to the bathroom or taking a shower could be a problem. Frankly, it seems like a pretty ridiculous premise.

You're comparing unfortunate coincidences to deliberately limiting the ability for someone to be contacted. It's quite frankly not the same.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
should just get youtube or something to give him the ad revenue for every clip with him in it.

garath

How much more effective is this than having a simple phone check at the door like a coat check. Hand them your phone, get a ticket. When you leave, hand them your ticket, get your phone back. Seems so much more simple and low tech.

More low tech and more liability. We're talking about 600-700 dollar phones compared to some jackets.

Especially considering how much personal information is on a phone, its not something I'd want to do as a customer or as a venue owner.

It's like putting your phone in a sock you find on the floor of the gym.

Don't argue the logistics here, just don't support Dave Chappelle if he is truly into this idea.

My whole life has been pretty livable without watching much of anything he's done.

havokex

I saw him months back in Montreal. He spent more than half the time smoking and laughing at his own jokes then actually telling jokes. There were also signs saying don't talk to him during his skit. But then he started engaging someone in the audience and that guy got kicked out for replying to him.......go figure.

El Sloth

Banned
I don't understand why people are getting so bent out of shape by this? You keep your phone on you and can still use it by stepping outside of the venue. If you don't like it then don't go and maybe he'll reverse his desicion if his shows stop selling out.

If these things really work as advertised, then they'd be pretty awesome at schools/inside the classroom.

I saw the show last night. The cell phone pouches were such a non issue (I totally spaced and didn't leave my phone in the car, so I had one of the pouches too) that, if I were to explain to my buddy in the car ride home the opinions shared in this thread about how stupid of an idea the cell phone pouches were, it would have taken longer than the entire process of putting my phone in the pouch, and removing it after the show. I didn't get a chance to poll every single person in the venue, but I didn't see any outrage/issues/anything other than people not giving a fuck and putting their phone in the pouch. It's like most of you can't conceptualize a concept like this in how it would actually work in the real world, you're all too hung up on hypothetical scenarios that no one gives a fuck about/would affect a SMALL minority.

I turned my phone off, but the venue told you to put it on vibrate or silent before you put it in the pouch. If you had a system in place like someone else in this thread ("text me twice back to back, then I will know it is an emergency"), then you would have had no issue promptly leaving the main area, finding an attendant to unlock the pouch, and go about your business.

Dave talked some heavy shit, and there is absolutely NO way he would say what he said had there been even a possibility that someone was recording him. It's almost fucking idiotic to say that it was a lot more intimate, solely due to the fact that there wasn't the possibility of some jackass recording for some selfish reason (I say selfish, because Dave has made it incredibly clear that he does not appreciate nor want people recording him while he is doing stand up)

to reiterate - it took me longer to type this post up, than it did to deal with the motions of putting my phone in a pouch, and then removing it after the show.

DeaviL

Banned
I immediately thought about all those people stuck in the theatre in France.
Not that it happens often but...

Malvolio

I respect his desire to not have his material recorded and his desire to not have phones distract others from his performance. I personally do not record live events. However, this seems like a tough thing to combat and I doubt these devices will prevent his material from showing up online. Unfortunately, you still end up in a position of innocents being treated like criminals and the shows end up online. Tough situation.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I wonder if comedy will adapt to recordings. Improv will be fine, but stand-ups will have to figure out a different way to workshop their material.

I was expecting something that fucks up peoples' recordings. This sounds terrible.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Why not just have security be vigilant at the venue?

I saw a band perform a couple weeks ago. They made it very clear with signs on the stage to put your phone and cameras away! Even before the band got on the stage if you had your phone out they told you to go to the lobby. They were on people like a HAWK.

I will say - it was actually really enjoyable to just enjoy the band playing and not have to look at my phone or be distracted by someone else having their phone out.

To prove how serious the band took to this policy: They performed at the same venue on Thursday prior to when I saw them, someone took a photo between their 2nd last and last song of the evening during the encore. As a result, they did not play the final song of the encore, they walked off.

Why not just have security be vigilant at the venue?

I saw a band perform a couple weeks ago. They made it very clear with signs on the stage to put your phone and cameras away! Even before the band got on the stage if you had your phone out they told you to go to the lobby. They were on people like a HAWK.

I will say - it was actually really enjoyable to just enjoy the band playing and not have to look at my phone or be distracted by someone else having their phone out.

To prove how serious the band took to this policy: They performed at the same venue on Thursday prior to when I saw them, someone took a photo between their 2nd last and last song of the evening during the encore. As a result, they did not play the final song of the encore, they walked off.

Dave's already been through this. This is his new solution.

These pouches would not have been necessary if everyone (including myself) adhered to the policy that was already listed on the website - NO CELL PHONES ALLOWED, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. ALL GUESTS WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE THEIR CELL PHONES IN THEIR VEHICLES OR CHECK THEM AT THE VENUE.

When you buy tickets to the show, you agree to the policy above. If everyone followed through and left their phones in their car or whatever, the pouches would not have been a thing and this thread wouldn't have been made. No one would have been talking about this.

James93

How much more effective is this than having a simple phone check at the door like a coat check. Hand them your phone, get a ticket. When you leave, hand them your ticket, get your phone back. Seems so much more simple and low tech.

Yes i'm going to trust a person who i don't know, with my phone which has my credit cards, email, and bank account on it. Coat checks can barely keep coats straight, can you expect them to keep five hundred iphones straight.

If i ever get enough money together to open up a club, I would have forced phone check. Living in the moment is really nice and phones kill that vibe.

People pay money to see him, but he's the asshole because he wants people to pay attention?

He already has his cut and he doesn't need the money. He's trying to help his audience get their money worth. I mean I wouldn't care, but he gives a damn about not wasting his time. I don't understand the issue.

neshcom

Banned
I don't tend to use my phone in theaters, but if I had to use this, I would definitely walk away with it just out of spite. Shouldn't have to get out of my damn seat to take a glance at a notification.

I don't tend to use my phone in theaters, but if I had to use this, I would definitely walk away with it just out of spite. Shouldn't have to get out of my damn seat to take a glance at a notification.

Eh, everybody else doesn't need their attention drawn away from the performance so that you can see if you got retweeted.

I saw him months back in Montreal. He spent more than half the time smoking and laughing at his own jokes then actually telling jokes. There were also signs saying don't talk to him during his skit. But then he started engaging someone in the audience and that guy got kicked out for replying to him.......go figure.

What ? are you sure you went to see Dave Chappelle in Montreal. Because i sure did and 3 of my friends on different days, none of what you say happened but stupid people addicted to their cellphones were all over the place.

I can understand the artists frustration, if people are not happy about it, they can go see someone else or stay home. Cellphones have no place in a show, it's simply disrespect. + the managment clearly say it a hundred of times before the show starts, still people do it anyway.

Dave's already been through this. This is his new solution.

These pouches would not have been necessary if everyone (including myself) adhered to the policy that was already listed on the website - NO CELL PHONES ALLOWED, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. ALL GUESTS WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE THEIR CELL PHONES IN THEIR VEHICLES OR CHECK THEM AT THE VENUE.

When you buy tickets to the show, you agree to the policy above. If everyone followed through and left their phones in their car or whatever, the pouches would not have been a thing and this thread wouldn't have been made. No one would have been talking about this.

Yeah, I mean in reality tossing people out mid performance isn't really a great experience for people who want to see a good show.

LaronX

Neo Member
Ehm... so they'll take a camera with them? Or a second phone? Or say they have no phone? I mean I like the idea of keeping people engaged at the show and not there phones, but let's face it this is pointless to prevent what he is angry about. If you want to record the show you will. It will be slightly harder, but the quality of camcorders is amazing these days.

neshcom

Banned
Eh, everybody else doesn't need their attention drawn away from the performance so that you can see if you got retweeted.

I don't do it if I can't be discrete about it. Nobody cares if I look down at my pocket for a second to see if there's a fire I have to put out.
By the by, how are you supposed to know if you're needed for an emergency if the screen is blocked? You'd think the distraction of people getting up to leave would be worse than someone on a phone for a second.

Ehm... so they'll take a camera with them? Or a second phone? Or say they have no phone? I mean I like the idea of keeping people engaged at the show and not there phones, but let's face it this is pointless to prevent what he is angry about. If you want to record the show you will. It will be slightly harder, but the quality of camcorders is amazing these days.

They do a soft pat down, so no, it's not pointless. If you really want to be a dick and record something that the artist that you enjoy has asked repeatedly not to record, then yes, I'm sure there's a fucking way to do it if you bring in your spy glasses or whatever.

I don't understand - a lot of logic here is "people will do what they want to do, so why stop it?". If recording shows against the performer's will is them doing what they want to do, then they're being a selfish jackass. Plenty of bands either don't give a fuck if people bootleg their stuff, or encourage it. This is not the case

weshes195

...That is pretty dumb. I always turn off my phone, do I have to put it in one of those things? The answer is probably yes since I could just turn it back on (I wouldn't). Which is stupid since I would go see a stand up to laugh, not to get into a argument and fight.

IrishNinja

man, lotta people here haven't been to a dave show in recent years - you already get kicked out for being an asshole with your phone, this is just an extension of that

he's already sold through again - why should he or anyone else care about how you feel? if you think it's stupid, don't go...wish more people who thought like that would stay home from concerts/shows/movies etc

I'm not going to a stand-up show if I have to have a fucking pat-down like it's an airport.

It's not a pat down like an airport, I don't know where you live, but depending on the show/club, pat downs are normal.

...That is pretty dumb. I always turn off my phone, do I have to put it in one of those things? The answer is probably yes since I could just turn it back on (I wouldn't). Which is stupid since I would go see a stand up to laugh, not to get into a argument and fight.

Why would you get into an argument or a fight? I'm the same way, I turn my phone off, but I still put it in the sleeve?

Violater

Went and saw his show when he came upstate NY,
Loved the old Chappelle show and his older standup but he was abysmally disappointing. Smoked more than he performed and tried to be more edgy and shocking than funny.
Trying to stand up for Bill Cosby didn't help either.

Went and saw his show when he came upstate NY,
Loves the old Chappelle show and his older standup but he was abysmally disappointing. Smoked more than he performed and tried to be more edgy and shocking than funny.
Trying to stand up for Bill Cosby didn't help either.
Glad I wasn't the only one who was monumentally disappointed.

He was boring as hell and didn't really even tell any jokes. When he did attempt comedy he mostly complained about his wife and kid. Charming.

VARIA

Surprised venue's haven't employed some type of EMP field to disrupt cell phone activity.

It's not that far-fetched right?

gotoadgo

Was at the Comedy Cellar in New York a few weeks back and they had a strict no cell phone policy. If they saw you with it out you were booted instantly. It made everyone actually watch the fucking show and I'm sure the comedians felt better in that any new stuff they were trying wouldn't get out for the world to see(surprise Bob Saget and Louis C.K sets that night, was fucking amazing).

For some bizarre reason though a couple of people actually got their phones out and got kicked out. That's why Dave sees this as necessary.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I've lost 3 coats in coat check.

The instance of having to pay 600 dollars to replace someone's phone that mysteriously vanished is going to kill this.

That's why it's better to use these locks or just not allow them in the building at all. I don't know if it's standard but at the movie premieres I've been to they wouldn't let you in the door with a phone.

The locks are more convenient for the audience. (don't have to go to your car to check your phone) Bans are more convenient for the venue. (Check for phone on entry. Done.)

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
LOL so Comedians are like bad cops now!

NO ONE RECORD US, IT IS HURTING OUR IMAGE!

Was at the Comedy Cellar in New York a few weeks back and they had a strict no cell phone policy. If they saw you with it out you were booted instantly. It made everyone actually watch the fucking show and I'm sure the comedians felt better in that any new stuff they were trying wouldn't get out for the world to see(surprise Bob Saget and Louis C.K sets that night, was fucking amazing).

For some bizarre reason though a couple of people actually got their phones out and got kicked out. That's why Dave sees this as necessary.

But, they were kicked out and the show was great right? Soooooooo........... RESTRICT THE MANY FOR THE STUPIDITY OF THE FEW, BUY THIS SERVICE!!

Maximus.

Are people so selfish that they can't stand to have their phones in their pockets during a show? I mean it shouldn't be that big a deal.

Have you been to a movie theatre in recent times? People cannot get off their phones.

pablito

Big Chappelle fan, but this is fucking stupid.

I thought that entering the thread, but then I remember just going to shows and seeing people recording and it bothering me a little. People just photograph and record shit too much for my taste. Just enjoy the damn show.

I agree with Dave on this.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Saw Dave last night and had to put my phone in this. Had no issue with it whatsoever, if you do need to use your phone for an emergency it can be removed in seconds. It was awesome being at a show where everyone didn't have their phones recording the entire thing instead of enjoying it. Dave seemed more relaxed because of it too and referred to it before making a few jokes.

y2dvd

Saw Dave last night and had to put my phone in this. Had no issue with it whatsoever, if you do need to use your phone for an emergency it can be removed in seconds. It was awesome being at a show where everyone didn't have their phones recording the entire thing instead of enjoying it. Dave seemed more relaxed because of it too and referred to it before making a few jokes.
Sounds great. I hope it catches on. Hate being distracted by other people's phone recording or some crap.

KalBalboa

Banned

That's great to hear a first-hand account, thanks. Hope to read more about it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom