• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Hayter not reprising his role as Snake in Metal Gear Solid 5? Statement

:(

I have loved Hayter's voice of Snake for so long, I don't think I can truly accept anything else.

Who did the Japanese voice for Snake in the earlier trailers? Was it the same Japanese voice actor that they have used previously?

Indeed and yes, same JP VA for Snake.

Eusis

After a 9 year coma his muscles would be messed up due to atrophy, couldn't something happen to his vocal chords as well after so many years of inactivity plus intubation? Bear with me, I have zero medical knowledge. Just a thought that could justify a change in his voice.
Also would be 9 years of no smoking. :p

Seriously, Solid was practically falling apart by the time of MGS4, so super gravely David Hayter actually made sense. Here, after nearly a decade of no smoking and some R&R I doubt Big Boss would sound like that, so I'm more disappointed that it SOUNDS like they didn't get Richard Doyle. Stick with the other already established voice at least!

-Amon-

He had been more than competent in all his MGS work apart from MGS4 for me.

My bet is that there is a money issue, or that as others have already said Solid Snake is in the game and he's giving his voice to him but can't say it at this time.

Here, after nearly a decade of no smoking and some R&R I doubt Big Boss would sound like that, so I'm more disappointed that it SOUNDS like they didn't get Richard Doyle. Stick with the other already established voice at least!

This is what's bugging me. If the voice used is a placeholder, fine, I can live with that. If Hayter is still involved with the game in some capacity, cool, but he's moreso Solid Snake rather than Big Boss.

But seriously, we already have Richard Doyle for BB, so the rest of the voice cast (whether you like them or not) should remain the same as they're established already.

Roubjon

Solid Snake probably shows up or something and will be voiced by David Hayter, while Kiefer Sutherland voices Big Boss. You can't really have David Hayter talking to himself.

Angry Fork

No it isn't. Play MGS1 and tell me that this is the case.

Someone already posted a video of MGS1 voice acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOUeR1v5uZ4

Hayter acts the same here as in other games, with the exception of more rasp/gruff in his voice in Peace Walker/MGS4, which imo is better for mature Snake than the young boy voice in MGS1. But dramatically he's always been the same, if not better in the sequels.

That being said, even if his change is too heavy, that's no reason to change the actor entirely, just tell him to return to MGS1 voice. And it certainly isn't reason to put someone completely different who doesn't sound like him at all.

Trey

I don't know whether I like or dislike the fact that I'm skeptical of information surrounding Metal Gear games prerelease.

Dammit, Kojima.

thechemist

Add me to the group that thinks Hayter is working the fans, and that we'll see Solid Snake at his youngest in MGSV.

I really hope this is true, I grew up with Hayter doing Snakes voice, I cannot see it any other way..

I think everyone is trolling the fans to be honest lol, more answers at E3 please, on the other hand let the trolling continue....

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Add me to the group that thinks Hayter is working the fans, and that we'll see Solid Snake at his youngest in MGSV.

TeamCG party reforms under a new banner

I kinda think if he was, he wouldn't be the only one. Kojima secrets aren't really well kept secrets if The Phantom Pain taught us anything

I don't know whether I like or dislike the fact that I'm skeptical of information surrounding Metal Gear games prerelease.

Dammit, Kojima.

I often approach with 'cautious optimism' regarding Kojima anything.

This time around, I feel somewhat indifferent, which is weird for me.

Eusis

This is what's bugging me. If the voice used is a placeholder, fine, I can live with that. If Hayter is still involved with the game in some capacity, cool, but he's moreso Solid Snake rather than Big Boss.

But seriously, we already have Richard Doyle for BB, so the rest of the voice cast (whether you like them or not) should remain the same as they're established already.
I understand there can be complications, but at least get plausible soundalikes so we are less likely to readily notice. Though based on my very vague Richard Doyle recollection I guess Big Boss still kinda sounds like him here.
Big Boss =/= Solid Snake

Why would they have the same voice actor?
Cloning, and the fact we went through 3 Big Boss games with David Hayter. But we are talking about a big, more dramatic jump in history than before so you could plausibly sound quite different afterwards.

This thread is friggin' harsh. This series gets more tongue-in-cheek by the minute, but Hayter is to blame? I've always found him to fit perfectly into the overall feel of each game entry, often the best of cast or at least close. He personifies the role, wherever that happens to take him. When I think bad/meh performance, I think Meryl in 4, or Major Zero and young Ocelot from 3, but even those seem to fit that English-dubbed-anime feel the series has established.

I would be bothered if he didn't get a role in V, but only roles appropriate for his undeniable identity as Snake.

Slime

Banned
If he's voiced by Doyle then I'm OK with it because it fits thematically and was probably always going to happen.

If people are right and he's being voiced by Kiefer Sutherland, then blah, probably no hope for more Hayter in the future.

Love Hayter and will be really sad if they just dump him unceremoniously. Hope there's an explanation better than "we wanted a different guy!"

3 theories:

1) Kojima is fucking trolling us, and that's not Big Boss in the trailer.
2) Hayter isn't playing Big Boss because Snake is somehow in this game.
3) Hayter has literally been cast aside for one reason or another.
Going with a mix of 1 and 2. 3 seems too obvious.

Trey

Big Boss =/= Solid Snake

Why would they have the same voice actor?

untitledzxd8s.png

icespide

Banned
starting to think this is Kojima fucking with us and Hayter is in on it.

given the sketchy timeline we know so far, if there ends up being a young solid snake in this game voiced by hayter bricks will be shat

It's gonna be 1 of 2 things:

1. This whole thing is a big set up to get a rise out of the fans
2. Behind the scenes, hayter did something to piss off the wrong person at Konami...

I think Kojima made a smart choice replacing Hayter. He was an alright voice actor back when MGS first came out, by video game standards, but those standards have skyrocketed since then and Hayter has not kept up at all. I hope he does find some work so that he can hone his craft and maybe one day be relevant again, but I personally think this is good news for the MGS series overall.

i.....get the feeling he'll be playing somebody else.

when you've physically appeared in one of the games, i think it's safe to say he's transcended the role of "replaceable voice Schmo"

synce

The US voice actor isn't Kojima's choice, I don't think anyone's fucking with anyone. With Raiden in MGR we didn't hear anyone voice him before Flynn "returned." Just sayin so nobody gets their hopes up

And FWIW I think Konami should get rid of Flynn too. His performance in MGR was laughable

I understand there can be complications, but at least get plausible soundalikes so we are less likely to readily notice. Though based on my very vague Richard Doyle recollection I guess Big Boss still kinda sounds like him here.

I'd have preferred that but assuming Big Boss' voice goes from Hayter -> Sutherland -> Doyle is definitely odd to me. If Sutherland was merely a placeholder for Doyle's voice work then I would love to hear this trailer redubbed with Doyle's voice.

But we won't know anything until Kojima confirms what's what... and we all know that he'll troll here and there so we'll never get a true answer until the game's out.

Watching the gameplay trailer again it's as if the player character actually has two different voices altogether. In the very beginning they both sound like Kiefer Sutherland. Then afterwards, when the player character struggles to get to his feet he sounds completely different. It's almost as if the dialogue between "Ishmael" and the player character are just some kind of hallucinated mental dialogue occurring between him and his imaginary friend and we never actually hear him speak outside of a few grunts that don't really sound like Sutherland at all

edit - meant to post this in the other thread

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is friggin' harsh. This series gets more tongue-in-cheek by the minute, but Hayter is to blame? I've always found him to fit perfectly into the overall feel of each game entry, often the best of cast or at least close. He personifies the role, wherever that happens to take him. When I think bad/meh performance, I think Meryl in 4, or Major Zero and young Ocelot from 3, but even those seem to fit that English-dubbed anime feel the series has established.

I would be bothered if he didn't get a role in V, but only roles appropriate for his undeniable identity as Snake.

No but I think they're actively trying to change that.

and I think if MGS wants to shake that image in the West they definitely need to up their localization efforts. and I think recasting the lead with a more prominent actor is a big part of that. (because a weak lead brings your whole game down)

Is there any chance that Hayter twitter account is actually an AI and in fact, every Hayter appearance ever was prerendered CG?
Just asking.

No but I think they're actively trying to change that.

and I think if MGS wants to shake that image in the West they definitely need to up their localization efforts. and I think recasting the lead will do alot to help that with a more prominent actor is a big part of that. (because a weak lead brings your whole game down)

Hayter isn't a weak lead.

I'm pretty sure that they're just transitioning Big Boss into his older voice.

I don't think Hayter's in on the scheme. It would be a shame to just cut him out of the franchise all of a sudden though. I imagine that there's still a lot of development left in the game. It'd be cool if they gave him a cameo or something.

Retro

It honestly won't be the same without him. Pretty sad if they didn't even ask, but I've always gotten the impression Kojima wants to be respected as a storyteller and places a lot of value on film making. That he could get a "Real Hollywood actor" to do the VA is probably all the excuse he needed. Nevermind that Hayter was perfect.

Slime

Banned
Oh wow, I didn't even consider that Solid Snake would be in the game. I hope that's the explanation and Hayter is still voicing him.

Like I said in my other post, there was always going to be a divergence in voice actors when Big Boss got older. If we see a Hayter-voiced Solid Snake go head-to-head with him in this game then I'll be very satisfied.

Top Bottom