• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Hayter not reprising his role as Snake in Metal Gear Solid 5? Statement

Strangely, I wasn't digging Kiefer's voice (if it really is him) as BB in the trailer...

Lack of Hayter makes me sad, but the voice did have to change if Richard Doyle is the end result.

I'm just not really feeling the hype for MGSV at the moment.

BadWolf

Giving Big Boss the same voice (Hayter) and general look (bandana) as Solid Snake was a mistake from the beginning.

LaneDS

If they were willing to keep Quinton Flynn as Raiden in Rising (who was embarrassing as "Jack the Ripper") I have a hard time believing they'd intentional replace Hayter as Snake for MGSV from a perspective of quality voicework. Other factors, like money? Sure.

But I want to believe that maybe Solid Snake has a role in this, and that it's an elaborate ruse. Any other scenario will be disappointing to me, even if Hayter hasn't been as good as Snake for a long while.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Have we any way of checking if the same is happening with the Japanese voice actor? I don't know Snake's voice there, but if it's Solid Snake's voice actor that does Big Boss in this game, then surely something's very off.
The only thing off is Hayter's voice acting. He sucks, Ohtsuka doesn't.

They should do an MGS recollection for next gen and redub the English in all the games with new actors that don't suck. Flynn needs to go too.

raven777

I really hope the US version will allow JP VA option as well. I want Ohtsuka's Snake.

But I guess its not going to happen.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Wow. Bought a PS3 for MGS4.

This is as close to ruining MGS as they could.

Went from would buy a system for to might buy.

The only thing off is Hayter's voice acting. He sucks, Ohtsuka doesn't.

They should do an MGS recollection for next gen and redub the English in all the games with new actors that don't suck. Flynn needs to go too.

Oh hell no. I get that you hate his voice, as do a few others in this thread, but redubbing with new actors is a terrible idea.

Why are people assuming that Kiefer Sutherland is voicing Snake? He's talking while Big Boss is in a coma. He's the other character in that scene.

Yeah, it's not the end for him. He's probably playing dumb too.

Big Boss already had a different voice in MGS4 and Kojima has stated he's not done with Solid Snake yet, specially with the timeline approaching to the point when both characters are together. Kojima probably decided to change Big Boss' voice already in order to acclimate the audience for the change and (presumably) with a heavy hitter like Kiefer Shutherland nonetheless.

It's either going to be another game with young Solid Snake and Big Boss or a MG/MG2 remake.

Meier

Not this shit again

I wasn't a part of TeamCG (documented!) but to me this is an obvious ruse. Hayter being so vocal about it just makes it seem even more likely. Drumming up controversy and then we'll be surprised when he appears in the game.

If his voice was damaged due to the coma shouldnt they have brought Hayter in for the Ground Zeros / pre coma scenes?

From the sounds of things Hayter isnt involved at all.

RSLYG

Hayter was good in MGS1, but as the series went on he lacked more and more the ability to express what his Japanese counterpart was able to. Hayter's two modes in later games were gruff-and-serious and gruff-and-goofy, and by the end he was doing a caricature of Snake. Yeah, he defined Snake in the US, but this represents a good opportunity to move to an actor who can do more with the character.

This.

jgqsVCXajUBsU.jpg

RK9039

Yeah, it's not the end for him. He's probably playing dumb too.

Big Boss already had a different voice in MGS4 and Kojima has stated he's not done with Solid Snake yet, specially with the timeline approaching to the point when both characters are together.

The problem is that the Japanese voice actor has stayed the same. Maybe Hayter just isn't good enough anymore.

CamHostage

Classy guy, I'll be sad to see him replaced. There does seem to be a reasoning in it story-wise, but this is an end of an era for Metal Gear.

RK9039

In the original Phantom Pain trailer, isn't Kiefer voicing the man who tells Big Boss, "on your feet, soldier"?

Yeah I think so, but Big Boss was talking to the bandaged guy in that new stage demo. When Kojima started playing. Someone said that Kiefer was voicing both of them :eek:

RedAssedApe

Banned
You guys need to stop believing everything that anyone affiliated with Konami says about Metal Gear.

When the game comes out Kojima is going to post a video with Hayter saying "do u rike it?"

That or NANOMACHINES.

Posted in other thread but, the transition away from Hayter was inevitable. Can't have Hayter talking to himself when Solid/Big Boss meet. i.e.
MGS4 Epilogue
I do not think it was any sleight against Hayter. They just do not need him for this game...unless he wants to voice a 10 year old Solid.

edit:

In light of this, nevermind. Guess they just don't want him anymore lol.

Could be that his voice changes after the coma?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
It'll never be the same. But life goes on.

*eats hot pocket*

Trey

I can't take these No Hayter No Buy posts seriously. If you're into the game because of a single voice actor, then maybe the game isn't for you in the first place?

No different than the people who didn't like the change NT made to Dante in the new Devil May Cry game.

The same reason people want no one other than Harrison Ford to play Han Solo in Star Wars.

It may not be a dealbreaker for most people, but I can understand it being a bothersome change.

Hayter is Snake, there is no getting around that.

Imm0rt4l

Good. He sucked it up in MGS3 and 4. Time for something new.

Au Revoir, our sweet prince from MGS1.

This. The guy became a parody of himself.

Does not matter if he's good on a dramatic level, his voice is all that matters. Snake has never been convincing, his voice is comical and over the top, that's the entire point.

No it isn't. Play MGS1 and tell me that this is the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but GZ didn't have an English version, and TPP didn't have a Japanese version. So it's entirely possible that the VA for post-coma Boss is different in both languages, right? Assuming it's even Boss? Hopefully they're just changing it now in preparation for a retelling of MG/MG2. Though it really sounds like Hayter is just out.

:(

I have loved Hayter's voice of Snake for so long, I don't think I can truly accept anything else.

Who did the Japanese voice for Snake in the earlier trailers? Was it the same Japanese voice actor that they have used previously?

Top Bottom